• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sales (sold-through) hit 30.2 million worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astarte

Are there any notable infamous Sony fanboys?

Microsoft has MisterXmedia, Crapgamer, and Tim Dog

I guess there used to be chadwarden...but he hasn't done anything since his string of PS3 videos.

Chaddaddy actually did pretty great for himself. Got a degree in accounting, works for a large firm, has a child.
Pstriple never lets you down.

wait, he actually made a video about it? I thought he was just being mocked coz he would say something like that.

edit: WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-lxodDtyg

Oh man, this guy right here...

3764872431_68c93ca7e5_o_zpsj1dernaw.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
MS is -still- incredibly out of touch, else they would not be rapidly losing marketshare in virtually every space; not just games.

I think they are more in touch than they have ever been, but sometimes when you miss the boat, you miss the boat.

Xbox 360 was the one area that they were ahead of the game and they let that get away from them.

Steve Ballmer will go down as a terrible CEO.

Bluenoser

I opened that crapgamer video in "incognito" browser window. Like hell I'm having his videos in my watch history, and recommendations lol. Guys like him and Tim Dog are disturbed individuals. God help them.

ZorpAttacks

Neo Member
The logic of the whole crapgamer gang is amazing. Sony is so broke they're shutting down 1st party studios and are almost out of business while also having enough money to pay off the media, buy all their own stock and pay third party devs to make Xbox games run worse than the PS4.

tusken77

I've heard about him here, but that was the first time I actually listened to one of his rants.

There was an equally hilarious video in the links...

Growing up Gaming: Sony Executives Spew More Lies
https://youtu.be/kkE4Vi6eeb8

we7QcUSl.jpg

EDIT: He also made a video with Crapgamer about the PS4 sales.

BGST: 30 Million PS4's Sold? Power doesn't equal "P's" Uncharted4 at 900p.
https://youtu.be/ZKqZGODgl2Q

I clicked on this but felt my IQ dropping by the second listening to these people. I got as far as 3 minutes in when the following was uttered, "I only care about what sold in America and UK because realistically that's all the companies care about" and I was out. Delusional, sad, ridiculous.

Apathy

The logic of the whole crapgamer gang is amazing. Sony is so broke they're shutting down 1st party studios and are almost out of business while also having enough money to pay off the media, buy all their own stock and pay third party devs to make Xbox games run worse than the PS4.

Were these the man babies that harass people and kids at gemestop when they are buying ps4's?

Melchiah

I clicked on this but felt my IQ dropping by the second listening to these people. I got as far as 3 minutes in when the following was uttered, "I only care about what sold in America and UK because realistically that's all the companies care about" and I was out. Delusional, sad, ridiculous.

You got more far than I did. The comments on the Crapgamer video that was posted were pure roll-eyes as well.

sora87

I really wish we wouldn't give these asshats the views and conversation they crave. They are clearly clinically insane and each day the internet feeds their condition.

Proxy

Great numbers. Sony has done an amazing job building a brand that can appeal around the world instead of a few select markets.

RibMan

It's a nice way of showing consumer excitement for your product and tells you more about what people are actually buying than shipments. You're definitely right about that. It's not like I'm saying that it's not a much more "down to earth" way of reporting sales.

But when it's not a traditional metric (and when the reporting of traditional metrics has been watered down), there's no good way (for us laymen who don't have all the internal estimates) to use it to make comparisons (which are necessary for identifying long-term trends).

I'm struggling to understand your perspective on sell-through figures. There is not a single consumer goods company in the world that does not rely on sold-through numbers to establish internal goals and analyze market needs + trends. If such a company does exist, then that company is the luckiest company in the world, or that company will be dead in the near future.

Sell-through numbers are the most accurate sales data that a company, analyst, or layman can utilize to determine the past, present, and future adoption of a product. You cannot sustain high shipments of products if people aren't actually buying your products. It's really that simple. If you're trying to figure out long-term trends for your product, you need to figure out current market trends, and you can't successfully do this without knowing how many people have your product.

For example, let's say Under Armour is trying to figure out what will be fashionable in basketball footwear, in 2016 and 2017. Let's say they're specifically trying to figure out what the next Steph Curry shoe should 'be'. Under Armour will need to know about 15 key things about the current Steph Curry shoe and the marketplace:

1) How many people bought it
2) How much money they make per sale (and how much it costs to make the shoe)
3) What features on the shoe are marketable (i.e. attractive)
4) How people use the shoe (e.g. Indoor play or outdoor play, casual wear or athletic wear)
5) What retailers and consumers say about the shoe
6) Who's wearing the shoe (e.g. Race/ethnicity, gender, age, income level, education level)
7) What people wear with the shoe (e.g. Fitbit, basketball jerseys, armbands)
8) What's the popular alternative to the shoe (e.g. Lebrons, KDs)
9) What retailers and consumers say about the alternative(s)
10) Who's wearing the alternatives (e.g. is it the same people who wear the Steph Curry shoes?)
11) How much do the alternatives cost
12) Where did they sell the most amount of shoes (e.g. California)
13) Where did they sell the least amount of shoes (e.g. Ohio)
14) What other products do people who bought the Curry's own and plan/indicate to buy (e.g. iPhones, PS4's, Patti Labelle pies)
15) When did people buy the most shoes (e.g. month/season)

These are a few things that Under Armour would need to know before they can identify realistic long-term trends. Consumer satisfaction, product recommendations, consumer perception, product pricing (and comparative pricing), product mentions, product usage (aka what are people actually using the product for), time spent with product, product associations (aka what do people relate the product with), product life cycle (PLC and relevant S curves), etc. All of these are relevant.

None of these, however, are more relevant than product sell-through. This is why we can look at the videogame industry -- specifically, the console business -- and identify future trends. For example, we can identify which console will be supported the most and have the most content in 2016 and beyond. We can say that unless Microsoft and Nintendo start handing out blank checks, more and more publishers and independent developers will align their future games with the PlayStation 4. Why? Because the PlayStation 4 sales-figures in major and minor markets are significantly higher than the sales-figures of the immediate (Xbox One) and future (NX) competition.

Javin98

Banned
First Tim Dog, now Crapgamer? What is with GAF and our recent obsession of linking the tweets and videos of mentally unstable individuals? Are we doing it just for laughs or to degrade our own IQ? :p

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
First Tim Dog, now Crapgamer? What is with GAF and our recent obsession of linking the tweets and videos of mentally unstable individuals? Are we doing it just for laughs or to degrade our own IQ? :p

Look up blacky lebowski, if you know of blackb0nd, Lebowski said he wanted to kill blackb0nd and has threatened him multiple times and has taken pictures and sent them to b0nd while holding a machete and threatening him because of his gaming preference and blackb0nd points out the flaws to his arguments. lol the psych ward would be full with all these BGST guys.

Tim Dog is a good guy, actually. Antitrop and I had him on our podcast. He sort of plays a caricature of himself. He was nothing but cool and reasonable when he joined us, and I'd gladly have him on again.

Crapgamer and Mooch are fucking clinically disturbed, however.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Tim Dog is a good guy, actually. Antitrop and I had him on our podcast. He sort of plays a caricature of himself. He was nothing but cool and reasonable when he joined us, and I'd gladly have him on again.

Tim dog thinks an opinion is a fact....

Good news, one of those rare generations where the company with the best hardware and best business practices are also experiencing the best sales/growth.

Last gen it was the Wii (worst hardware)
Before that Ps2 (worst hardware)
Before that Ps1 (non the best hardware but not the worst)
etc..

Look up blacky lebowski, if you know of blackb0nd, Lebowski said he wanted to kill blackb0nd and has threatened him multiple times and has taken pictures and sent them to b0nd while holding a machete and threatening him because of his gaming preference and blackb0nd points out the flaws to his arguments. lol the psych ward would be full with all these BGST guys.

Yeah, blacky threatened to kill me too, and called my wife a cunt, which was odd considering we weren't even talking about her. I told her and she said "Who is Blacky Lebowski? Are you talking about the movie?".

At any rate, someone tweeted a picture of him. I was surprised to learn he's not the machete-wielding, selfie-taking, shadowy killer gangsta he'd have you believe he is. In the twist ending of the year, he turned out to be a sloppy-looking nerd who just failed his saving throw against loneliness. The even more surprising thing was that right after that picture leaked, he invited me to "get in the ring with him", which I found odd considering my Twitter avatar at the time was a 6'3, 195 lbs US Marine leaping over a burning tree, or as I like to call it, what I actually look like for reals. Go figure.

Javin98

Banned
Holy shit, someone is taking gaming too seriously. Geez, threatening to kill someone because of fanboyism is a whole new level of stupidity.

Huh, I wonder if Tim Dog does what he does on Twitter just to keep his loyal fanbase. If so, that's some masterful acting.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We're to the point in the thread where the discussion is entirely about how various console warriors are reacting, rather than discussing the news at hand. That's a wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom