• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 9 million in the U.S.

anothertech

even if it's meant to compete with Ps4/xbone?
That's kind of my bewilderment to be honest. I feel like the NX is meant to compete with PS4/Xbone this gen, at least power wise and such. Third parties are more likely to develop titles with those three than the monster systems we expect from PS5/Xbox2, hbm2 hardwares and what not. lol.

Would be fun for another Nintendo craze to happen, and I'm not counting it out. But interested to see what the market deems as 'competing' platforms.

bluedawgs

Banned
::scratches head:: How can you say the Xbox One had nothing game wise last year but then mention PS4's 2015 third party bundles -- something the Xbox One had last year (e.g. Call of Duty)?

Anyway, as OrbitalBeard pretty much stated, this would be better than the Nintendo Wii (which only had one November NPD in which it did over 2 Million in its whole life) and the PS4 simply isn't at that level in the U.S..

i mean it had advanced warfare sure and the halo remaster, but i truly do hope you don't think advanced warfare could come anywhere close to matching black ops 3's effect on hardware, or its amount of sales in the united states. not to mention that black ops 3 is heavily, heavily current gen oriented and hasn't even been advertised on last gen, unlike advanced warfare. also, star wars is current gen only, and will be quite large for the ps4. fallout is also current gen, will sell very well and will move hardware.

Steroyd

Haha guys, that was vague and I didn't mean it like that.

I meant if NX hypothetically starts to compete generally (the U didn't in the slightest) with the Sony/MS console war/race what have you, will it be considered part of this gen still, 3 to 4 years in? Even if 'next gen' is only a year or two away? Kinda baffled that their timing is so off with the rest of the console big hitters, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn as to what is counted towards console sales, and which gen they will count it towards...

Depends what software gets sold, ultimately if the NX takes a significant chunk out of Sony and MS's pie than they will have to be considered part of the gen, if they're off doing their own thing selling Wii___ games then they're on their own tangent like the Wii was considered.

Either way it's a next generation Nintendo console, what that means in terms of hardware strength is another matter considering that their hardware has been 1 generation behind the industry for a long while.

kyser73

Haha guys, that was vague and I didn't mean it like that.

I meant if NX hypothetically starts to compete generally (the U didn't in the slightest) with the Sony/MS console war/race what have you, will it be considered part of this gen still, 3 to 4 years in? Even if 'next gen' is only a year or two away? Kinda baffled that their timing is so off with the rest of the console big hitters, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn as to what is counted towards console sales, and which gen they will count it towards...

Yeah, the whole mid-gen release thing is...well strange? If the NX isn't at least on a par with PSXBone, or only marginally more (which I understand is about where the WiiU sits wrt PS360) it will need a seriously compelling USP to do well.

Bgamer90

Banned
i mean it had advanced warfare sure and the halo remaster, but i truly do hope you don't think advanced warfare could come anywhere close to matching black ops 3's effect on hardware, or its amount of sales in the united states. not to mention that black ops 3 is heavily, heavily current gen oriented and hasn't even been advertised on last gen, unlike advanced warfare. also, star wars is current gen only, and will be quite large for the ps4. fallout is also current gen, will sell very well and will move hardware.

Oh no, I definitely agree that this Holiday season should be better than last year's due to there being more current gen only games. I just didn't understand the game library difference you mentioned.

system11

Nintendo will have to release something similar to the PS4/XB1 to have a chance of getting third parties back now. If it's more powerful, the power simply won't get used - that's what having no support and releasing a mid-gen system will get them.

you kind of are though, since you stated that its possible that ps4 and xbox one achieve only 2 million combined in one of these months. ps4 and xbox one did 2 million in both months last year.

No, I didn't.

I said it is very possible. As in, likely. Or very likely. Or quite possible.

Whichever you prefer.

bluedawgs

Banned
Oh no, I definitely agree that this Holiday season should be better than last year's due to there being more current gen only games. I just didn't understand the game library difference you mentioned.
it was pretty damn sparse last year for xbox one, granted it was much worse for the ps4. this year however, both consoles are getting bigger, higher quality, new, not remastered, important games this holiday along with a price cut in ps4's case, and great deals in xbox's case.

bluedawgs

Banned
No, I didn't.

I said it is very possible. As in, likely. Or very likely. Or quite possible.

Whichever you prefer.
alright man the thing is, it's so obvious with all of the factors included, such as ps4's price cut, the games that are releasing along with the deals and bundles, that you shouldn't be saying it's only possible that xbox and ps4 combined only match last years sales, you should be giving a higher benchmark.

One thing worth considering, is that the switch over to 360/PS3 was a MUCH more dramatic change (graphically, socially, hardware wise) of generation than it has been to XB1/PS4.

This gen has seen strong support by MS for the 360 continue on 2 years in (whereas last gen support for the OG Xbox stopped almost instantly at the 360's launch), and same to a lesser degree for PS3.

Add to this the very poor XB1 announcement/launch/marketing and it's quite astonishing really that this gen has consistently, and significantly beaten last gen (so far) on sales.

I don't think the future is bleak at all for consoles.

I call bs on support there at the end, they didn't completely abandon it but any notable exclusives stopped coming out way before the One landed. Where as the PS3 saw its generations best towards the end right up till PS4 launch.

Alo0oy

Banned
The US market has peaked, people need to remember that consoles are usually bought per household (except for the hardcore 5% that buy a PS4, XB1, & Wii U each). People should stop expecting more growth in the US. You can't expect one console per every household.

People also need to stop making the misinformed "frontloaded" argument, the PS4 is selling better than the 360 (the leading console in the US) at that point in its life year to date, unless we're still in that never ending "front" part?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's no need to call me out after I already acknowledged the mistake, is there?

Was not personal, we just see that in every console/NPD thread. Did not see your acknowledgement, but now I do.

It is still irrelevant in a PS4 sales thread regardless if true or not.

Their other divisions have nothing to do with this one.

As for myself. I'm waiting for the redesign of the ps4 before jumping in. I've never had a redesigned console, before. I'm usually a very early adopter, but this time I really wanted to wait.

Some Nobody

That number is lower than I thought, but it just means Sony's doing phenomenal outside of America, which is great.

BTW, dogpiling OP is unnecessary. He's wrong, but don't be a dick to him. Yeah, this holiday's going to be crazy...and honestly, it's the first year where lots of giant titles are being released. If Black Friday doesn't do numbers that murder PS360 at this point in time, THEN you can worry.

And Sony/Microsoft still have tricks up their sleeve. Hopefully some advances in technology can get us a redesign without a hard drive, for instance.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sell less this gen but actually make money this time. Doomed

I'd imagine what ultimately matters here is how much in profit each company gets for a sale of a console. The sentiment among posters here is that both companies have reached a point where each console is being sold at a profit. Sony has been since at least May 2014. Add in the many subs for Xbox Live and PS+ (where Sony at one point had...what...50% of PS4 consoles subscribed to plus?) and it's tough for me to find a way to describe the current console landscape as "dim". Sure the lead in sales isn't as high in the US a year later, but consider the fact that you could get an Xbox 360 for $280 two years into its life compared to $350 now (I know other economic factors are in play, but still) and you can see a partial reason for larger 360 sales. PS3 also started dropping in price two years in and by a larger margin. It was always a given that this generation would have a smaller base. Casual gamers moved on to phones and tablets while hardcore gamers seemed to have shifted over to PC to an extent. How that is dim is beyond me when you consider these things, however.

tl;dr profit margins are larger, paid online subs are numerous, casual base left and hardcore base split somewhat. Not really a reason to be concerned.

I have seen this mentioned a few times over the past few months. With both being built to make more of a profit off the bat vs last gen....I dont think its as bad as some make it. Of course the doom n gloom is because of Nintendo....(not talking about handhelds, (Vita) I know some like to include all game systems) great for last gen, terrible for this gen. Nintendo has a big uphill battle on the home console front....

Lol I said this for a long time. People popping bottles and dancing in the streets are not seeing the forest fire on the other side of the valley.

And some ppl see a forest fire when its actually a camp fire. This thread is also about Sony...individually. Title of thread and body of OP is like two topics in one.

Windforce

That's kind of my bewilderment to be honest. I feel like the NX is meant to compete with PS4/Xbone this gen, at least power wise and such. Third parties are more likely to develop titles with those three than the monster systems we expect from PS5/Xbox2, hbm2 hardwares and what not. lol.

Would be fun for another Nintendo craze to happen, and I'm not counting it out. But interested to see what the market deems as 'competing' platforms.

Wow guys. Never crossed my mind that Nintendo will kick off the 9th gen next year with the NX. Fuck, I'm old.

I think it won't be supposed to compete with PS4 and Bone. That's Wii U.

NX is 9th gen so the PS4 userbase advantage won't count for next gen I guess...

The Wii U was meant to compete with Xbox One and PS4. Now that generation of Nintendo hardware is coming to a close, a new generation is beginning.

Kind of like how Dreamcast launched during the N64/PS one gen, but was part of the PS2/Xbox/GC gen.
but it's having a hard time keeping up, so I thought the nx was going to replace it as nintendo's presence competing with 8th gen consoles.

Honestly, as far as consoles go, the wii u launched in 2012, but no one really perceived the new generation starting until the end of 2013.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but it's having a hard time keeping up, so I thought the nx was going to replace it as nintendo's presence competing with 8th gen consoles.

Honestly, as far as consoles go, the wii u launched in 2012, but no one really perceived the new generation starting until the end of 2013.

Just like how the 360 launched a year before the PS4/Wii after only 4 years from the OG Xbox (when the average was around 5). Nintendo kicked off the 8th generation of consoles (regardless of power differences).

However the power gulf & third party support have shaped perception on "Next Gen".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

The NX platform will be the 9th generation when/if launched Holiday 2016, 4 years later not unlike the 360, (though if kits are shipping now, I would not be surprised for Spring 2017).

Just like how the 360 launched a year before the PS4/Wii after only 4 years from the OG Xbox (when the average was around 5). Nintendo kicked off the 8th generation of consoles (regardless of power differences).

However the power gulf & third party support have shaped perception on "Next Gen".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

The NX platform will be the 9th generation when/if launched Holiday 2016, 4 years later not unlike the 360, (though if kits are shipping now, I would not be surprised for Spring 2017).
it wasn't just like how the 360 had a year's head start because it was definitely a dog in the fight/horse in the race or whatever, all throughout the generation.

I'm not trying to argue that the wii u isn't an 8th gen console. It is, of course. But I think because it has more in common with last gen consoles, consoles that people were used to for 5-6 years by that point, that "next gen" wasn't an event that felt like an occurrence until the Ps4 nd xbone came on the scene.

that's what I thought too. If you think about it, the Nintendo console that's currently supposed to be competing in 8th gen has either gotten ports of last gen titles (which were basic ports, not like any remaster treatment) like tekken tag 2 & Me3, or the crossgen games that it does get ports of, end up looking more like the last gen versions. For instance, watch dogs

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it wasn't just like how the 360 hd. Year head strt because it ws definitely a dog in the fight/horse in the race or whatever, all throughout the generation.

I'm not trying to say isn't an 8th gen console. It is, of course. But I think because it has more in common with last gen consoles, consoles that people were used to for 5-6 years by that point, that "next gen" wasn't an event that felt like an occurrence until the Ps4 nd xbone came on the scene.

And the Wii had more in common graphically with the 6th gen as well (used the Wiimote/price to explode). I fail to grasp what you are saying.

WiiU started the 7th gen not unlike the 360 jump starting it early, and the NX will start the 9th in the same manner, earlier than the other two.

I fail to see how people are not grasping the basic logic.

If hugely successful, we will see the PS5/Xbox (whatever the heck they will name it) no later than 2018/19, not 20 like most are hoping, IMO.

And the Wii had more in common graphically with the 6th gen as well (used the Wiimote/price to explode). I fail to grasp what you are saying.

WiiU started the 7th gen not unlike the 360 jump starting it early, and the NX will start the 9th in the same manner, earlier than the other two.

I fail to see how people are not grasping the basic logic.

If hugely successful, we will see the PS5/Xbox (whatever the heck they will name it) no later than 2018/19, not 20 like most are hoping, IMO.
I was going to mention the wii but I didn't, partially because I thought I'd get my point across to you without having to mention it and partially because I'm on mobile and I didn't think it was worth it.

And I don't see why you don't get what im saying. Yes, the wii in hardware compared to its competition last gen parallels the wii u this gen but do we really need to break down why the wii was successful and why the wii u isn't (and the lack of wii u's success in competing in the 8th gen being the reason why nx is supposed to be a new console that's suppose to replace the wii u in competition against the 8th gen consoles?)

Also, I think you meant to say wii u started the 8th gen and again, I was never disputing that. All I said was even with the year's head start, the 360 & wii u weren't/aren't in similar places at all in their console generation cycles.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
As soon there's a period when sales are down, everybody likes to think the market is in danger. I don't understand it.

Cause that is the normal cycle. Typically sales are up YOY for three years, then it dips. This gen is frontloaded due to lower prices (this gen started at 898 where last gen started at 989), due to the long gen before it.

And not even two years in we are getting games that barely run medium PC settings at sub resolutions. It won't get better. The lack of power of this gen will hurt them in the coming years, and if Nintendo actually brings something decent both MS and Sony won't sell as much as they did last gen.

https://zhugeex.com/

The above blog, the site he writes for (Gearnuke, I think), and his Twitter account are where he will be active if you want to continue to hear from him. His first blog post will fill you in on why.

Did not explain anything just that he was mad at the mods I guess. Actually found him quite obnoxius and often got mad as soon as someone disagreed with him so for me its not a big loss. Will get his graphs here anyway.

c0de

Did not explain anything just that he was mad at the mods I guess. Actually found him quite obnoxius and often got mad as soon as someone disagreed with him so for me its not a big loss. Will get his graphs here anyway.

I think his ego rose too fast which GAF is also responsible for. I agree completely with you.

The Wii U was meant to compete with Xbox One and PS4. Now that generation of Nintendo hardware is coming to a close, a new generation is beginning.

Kind of like how Dreamcast launched during the N64/PS one gen, but was part of the PS2/Xbox/GC gen.

That appears to be random as hell.

And also a pretty pointless excercise to determine against which generation the NX will lose officially.

Durden77

It's because it's the best system right now, with the marketing to back it. As a huge 360 fan, staight up I have no idea why people are buying a Xbone unless their huge Halo fans or just HAD to gave games like Sunset Overdrive. Or the Rare Replay which is sick no doubt.

Go PS4. Get it.

Top Bottom