• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 9 million in the U.S.

Console sales is not the whole picture.

Sony spent a lot of money developing the Cell processor.
Microsoft lost a lot of money over the RROD.

This generation both of those situations have been avoided. Even if they sell fewer consoles, they haven't had to lose as much money elsewhere.

I don't think you can just look at one line chart and say the end is nigh for console gaming.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
honestly, I am looking at it as there is WAY less reason to own both consoles this gen as opposed to last. Last gen saw seemingly way more exclusives early on.. Pretty big ones also (Oblivion, Mass Effect, Gears, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, etc). Granted XBONE has seen a decent share of exclusives, but most not on the level shown above, and the biggest releases of the gen so far have been cross platform. By comparison, most of my friends were two system owners by early 2007 (including Wii), and a good many were 3 system owners by 2008. Whereas now, most of us are one system owners (PS4) with a couple of two system owners (Wii U). The likelihood of more two system owners or ANY three system owners is incredibly low.

tl;dr.. I think overall console gaming will be "fine", even if total installed base is lower than last gen. Tons of software units will be sold, though the "wealth" of those sales will be less spread around than last gen (coming mostly from PS4)

Nintendo's failure to hold on to their audience should not impugn the rest of the industry.

to be fair, Nintendo had zero chance of holding their audience. The entire point was that their audience was of the "ooh shiny!!!!" variety. But at the end of the day, they were buying a game console without a real desire to become a "gamer" (i.e. not core gamer, but just someone who plays games regularly). The only way Nintendo could have retained them was by venturing outside of gaming more.. Nintendo DID this to the best of their ability.. Including tons of social features and apps inside of Wii U. But ultimately Nintendo is a gaming company, and the efforts they made simply weren't enough for the people who wanted more than gaming. i.e. a $350 streaming box when you can get an at the time $100 streaming box.

tl;dr.. I think overall console gaming will be "fine", even if total installed base is lower than last gen. Tons of software units will be sold, though the "wealth" of those sales will be less spread around than last gen (coming mostly from PS4)
yea...this Gen really didn't take off yet imo. Street Fighter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Halo, etc...all have to release. We are starting this year with Halo and Fallout, plus the first current Gen only COD and other yearly franchises, still haven't gotten the big standout title either like a Minecraft or Wii sports. I'm good with just a PS4 for a long time.

joecanada

I'm not sure where the comments regarding this gen being frontloaded come from... I mean they did sell well at the beggining but front loaded would show on the chart as a spike followed by a marked flat period, the charts for both generations still look fairly similar..... this may change over time but so far they look just fine.

bud23

and will easily sell 100 million consoles in its lifetime.

This is what happens when you listen to your consumers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
yea...this Gen really didn't take off yet imo. Street Fighter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Halo, etc...all have to release. We are starting this year with Halo and Fallout, plus the first current Gen only COD and other yearly franchises, still haven't gotten the big standout title either like a Minecraft or Wii sports. I'm good with just a PS4 for a long time.

COD is still releasing on PS3/XBOX360. It'll just arrive in a limited form.

This generation both of those situations have been avoided. Even if they sell fewer consoles, they haven't had to lose as much money elsewhere.

I don't think you can just look at one line chart and say the end is nigh for console gaming.
Kinect says hello.
Hololens and Morpheus still undecided.

I'm pretty sure XBox lost a lot of money with the whole 180 decisions they did

Good numbers, it is around 20 million total isn't it? Seems it is on track to outsell PS3 at any rate.
Edit 25 million, I was close, ha ha.

bombshell

Good numbers, it is around 20 million total isn't it? Seems it is on track to outsell PS3 at any rate.
Edit 25 million, I was close, ha ha.

25 million 3 months ago.

We will get Jul-Sep quarter financial results soon, I think, and that will give a new shipped total.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm not sure where the comments regarding this gen being frontloaded come from... I mean they did sell well at the beggining but front loaded would show on the chart as a spike followed by a marked flat period, the charts for both generations still look fairly similar..... this may change over time but so far they look just fine.

that the gen started off ~80% ahead of last gen, and has dropped month by month to now being only ~40% ahead (cumulatively). And that trend (month by month dropping) really doesn't seem like it's going to stop when taking into account both major consoles (PS4 and XBONE) compared to those same two consoles last gen.

The biggest problem is that PS4 is only a little ahead of PS3 month by month, while XBONE is way under 360 month by month.

360/XBONE
launch year: 563K/1.9M (330% ahead)
1st full year: 3.8M/4.3M (13% ahead)
2nd full year: 4.3M/(currently ~1.8M)

PS3/PS4
launch year: 667K/2M (300% ahead)
1st full year: 2.4M/4.7M (95% ahead)
2nd full year: 3.4M/(currently ~2.3M)

So best case scenario in the US this year (the healthiest market currently) has PS4 likely just beating PS3 sales from the same time frame by some amount, and XBONE like falling a ways short of 360 sales from the same time frame.. with a combined total likely BELOW the 2nd full year total of each.

So yeah... "installed base" as measured by sold consoles will fall. MS's fall is outweighing Sony's improvement (though Sony will likely tail off much sooner also).

However, software units sold will likely remain closer than "installed base" would indicate, due to there being a much smaller reason this gen to own both consoles. AAA games will likely see sales in similar amounts to last gen. More people will just have one system under the TV instead of two or more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was going to mention the wii but I didn't, partially because I thought I'd get my point across to you without having to mention it and partially because I'm on mobile and I didn't think it was worth it.

And I don't see why you don't get what im saying. Yes, the wii in hardware compared to its competition last gen parallels the wii u this gen but do we really need to break down why the wii was successful and why the wii u isn't (and the lack of wii u's success in competing in the 8th being the reason why nx is supposed to be a new console that's suppose to replace he wii u in competition against the 8th gen consoles?)

Also, I think you meant to say wii u started the 8th gen and again, I was never disputing that. All I said was even with the year's head start, the 360 & wii u weren't/aren't in similar places at all in their console generation cycles.

I get what you are saying now as well. I think we are both agreeing on the start of the gen, which a lot in here are failing to grasp.

Success and why/how are two different factors that I was not commenting on. Just that people are confusing power of the machine and labeling which gen, when logic have nothing to do with power. It is when the machine comes out (which will be another console gen), and launches into the next cycles of reaction (for Sony/MSFT's next machine into said generation).

I will also add that they are not competing in the same space ever since Nintendo had the Wii, but lost that consumer base as the mobile market ballooned, hence all the talks of the mobile/home platform in their next iteration (hoping to recapture that market maybe?).

I get what you are saying now as well. I think we are both agreeing on the start of the gen, which a lot in here are failing to grasp.

Success and why/how are two different factors that I was not commenting on. Just that people are confusing power of the machine and labeling which gen, when logic have nothing to do with power. It is when the machine comes out (which will be another console gen), and launches into the next cycles of reaction (for Sony/MSFT's next machine into said generation).

I will also add that they are not competing in the same space ever since Nintendo had the Wii, but lost that consumer base as the mobile market ballooned, hence all the talks of the mobile/home platform in their next iteration (hoping to recapture that market maybe?).
thank you. yes, regardless of the public response/reaction to the wii u's launch, it began the 8th generation.

I was just explaining why some people here were having the confusion of what the nx is. unless nintendo specifically says it is meant to still be part of the 8th gen, it is 9th gen. however, people are being confused because iirc, nx is supposed to compete efficiently with xbone & Ps4 and if that is the case, it would make more sense to consider it another 8th gen. especially if the 3rd party software released on it will be the same games as on Ps4/xbone.

as far as the home/mobile platform goes and nintendo losing their share of the mobile market, I can't really speak on that because I don't know much about it. all that I know I guess is that all the people who loved the wii last gen who were casual either got a Ps4 or just didn't/doesn't care about consoles and are satisfied with games on their smart phones or on a tablet.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
360/XBONE
launch year: 563K/1.9M (330% ahead)
1st full year: 3.8M/4.3M (13% ahead)
2nd full year: 4.3M/(currently ~1.8M)

PS3/PS4
launch year: 667K/2M (300% ahead)
1st full year: 2.4M/4.7M (95% ahead)
2nd full year: 3.4M/(currently ~2.3M)

Thos numbers aren't correct...

360 / XB1
launch year: 607k / 1.82m (200% ahead)
1st full year: 3.93m / 4.37m (11% ahead)
2nd full year: 4.62m / (currently ~1.96m)

PS3 / PS4
launch year: 688k / 2.00m (190% ahead)
1st full year: 2.56m / 4.7m (84% ahead)
2nd full year: 3.54m / (currently ~2.33m)

Top Bottom