• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 9 million in the U.S.

Sell less this gen but actually make money this time. Doomed

Yep. Sony took a bath last gen. I'm sure they are ecstatic about the way things are going.

*edit Not sure about the selling less part, but PS4 is definitely more profitable. Nintendo has used this approach forever.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ, those of you jumping on the OP for that comment are by far worse than you make him out to be. How about you people get a fucking grip. Is it possible that the console industry will sustain itself and make it out well by the end of this generation? Yes. Is it also possible that it may do considerably worse? Yes. So stop acting like any one of your stances is the de facto outlook and stop acting like assholes. Big fucking deal, he said the future looks grim. We are talking about sales here. Sales. God damn.

Jesus Christ, those of you jumping on the OP for that comment are by far worse than you make him out to be. How about you people get a fucking grip. Is it possible that the console industry will sustain itself and make it out well by the end of this generation? Yes. Is it also possible that it may do considerably worse? Yes. So stop acting like any one of your stances is the de facto outlook and stop acting like assholes. Big fucking deal, he said the future looks grim. We are talking about sales here. Sales. God damn.
Nothing looks grim, though.

This is just the US though. Sony got a plan for that, be relevant outside the US. That's why their global sell-through is so high, anyone can see the US is a saturated market for consoles.

Vinc

I agree that so far it looks like this gen is going to be frontloaded, but this gen is moving slower than many expected. A lot of big games are coming, and the amount of big games that came out is respectable, but so much more is coming.

A lot of people are expecting shorter generations now, but it keeps taking longer and longer to make games. Something has to give, either the console cycle is longer, or games get smaller.

I'd be ok with a combination of both, technical improvements are exponentially raising costs and development times, and it's actually sometimes seemingly detrimental to the industry and game quality.

grumble

The second quote just confirms for me the hypothesis (at least so far...) that this gen is extremely front loaded. I share this thought and so do many others.

In aggregate ps4 and xb1 may be ahead of the predecessor (launch months aligned) but I'd be interested to see PS3/360 month 23 (for example) compared to ps4/xb1 month 23

To be honest though the content hasn't been as incredible as in previous gens. All previous gens brought new game design paradigms - the last gen was cinematic games. This gen has a ton of remakes and other low risk high roi titles but so far the new content isn't there and neither is the groundbreaking new experience.

So selling 40%, more consoles than last gen at this point is looking grim?

I mean we are talking about SALES here..right?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing looks grim, though.

Who gives a shit. Anything can happen down the line. He made one comment, so dismiss it. It is not of importance.

So selling 40%, more consoles than last gen at this point is looking grim?

I mean we are talking about SALES here..right?

Get lost.

Anyway, OP, I don't think the outlook is necessarily grim. I think we're accustomed to three consoles selling over 85 million each last generation, and since we're still so early on in this generation, we get anxious hoping that this generation bears any resemblance to the last one.

hawk2025

You are fundamentally misunderstanding how percentages work, OP.

A decreasing percentage difference does not mean the "lead" is decreasing, it's simply how math works to keep a constant percentage, sales would have to be consistently higher, not roughly the same or variable across generations.

Bold One

No one is saying the market is doomed but it is clear that is has shrunk by a considerable margin and likely won't match the performance of the PS360 generation.

thats the vacuum the wii left behind, it targeted non-gamers and they moved on to tablets and smartphones, a few will make the transition to consoles, but the market will regress to the mean, its not shrinking

Kimawolf

Lol I said this for a long time. People popping bottles and dancing in the streets are not seeing the forest fire on the other side of the valley.

Walpurgis

Banned
You are fundamentally misunderstanding how percentages work, OP.

A decreasing percentage difference does not mean the "lead" is decreasing, it's simply how math works.
I don't think you understand what was in the OP. Maybe that is why people are freaking out about what I said.

I'll say it again. PS4 + XB1 sales were 80% higher than PS3 + 360 sales last year, launches aligned. That gap has been reduced to 40%. It's really not that hard guys.

at one point last year the PS4 and XB1 were ahead by over 80% where as now the combined lead versus their predecessors is only 40%.

Oh noez stop the factories consoles are doomed, again.

Well duh at some point they're gonna fall behind their predecessors, it's not hard to predict that. PS3 slim/ 2009 price cut, 360 holiday 2010 Kinecteffect periods are yet to be compared so if we don't see PS4 slim or another price cut next year then the 299 PS3 slim could be ahead, shocking! It's also not hard to predict the total install base might be smaller because the gen will likely be shorter.

Also these numbers are becoming less relevant. Revenue generated per user is what matters. A console gamer is worth more than last gen.

Taurus

Did you see what 200 million of that was? So the real attach rate is prob around 7 to 1.
So your argument now is that Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are not real software and shouldn't be counted towards Wii's total software sales?

Your original argument was that Wii gamers were grandparents etc. who bought only 1 game. Now we are at 7 per console according to you, and at 9 according to actual data.

ViciousDS

Banned
This holiday with stars wars, first black ops this generation, first fallout this gen and halo is going to cause Black Friday nightmares. Sales are going to be off the fucking charts come this holiday.

I don't think you understand what was in the OP. Maybe that is why people are freaking out about what I said.

I'll say it again. PS4 + XB1 sales were 80% higher than PS3 + 360 sales last year, launches aligned. That gap has been reduced to 40%. It's really not that hard guys.
Before the new holidays and launch aligned with the first 36 months of the others... Something we don't actually have data for on ps4/xbone, yet. And of course it wasn't going to stay at 80% the whole time. That's highly improbable.

Okay. Lets illustrate. Taking numbers out of my ass because I can't bother to gather real numbers but you should get the point.

During some point of early life:

Console A: 2 000 000
Console B: 3 600 000

In this case console B has sold 80% more than console A. Unit wise the difference is 1.6 million.

During later life:
Console A: 15 000 000
Console B: 21 000 000

In this case console B has sold 40% more than console A. Unit wise the difference is 6 million.

Say to me which gap is bigger?

Walpurgis

Banned
This holiday with stars wars, first black ops this generation, first fallout this gen and halo is going to cause Black Friday nightmares. Sales are going to be off the fucking charts come this holiday.
Battlefront is definitely one to watch. It will be a very unique release. I think it'll be the first time that a high quality AAA game is being tied in with a movie release. Definitely the first time it's been done for a movie this big. I think it will pass CoD and push a lot of console sales.

hawk2025

Ok, I'll walk through this.

1 million compared to 500,000 is 100% more.

9 million compared to 6 million is 50% more.

Aligning to a single date, the "lead" is still larger in the second case, despite a lower percentage.

You are taking ZhugeEX's prediction (which is fine -- you are free to take that, and it may very well happen), but using as evidence a decrease in percentages.

The decrease in percentages does not imply a decrease in the gap. The two statistics are related, but one does not imply the other -- your argument on page 1 was that the 80% -> 40% number did, when it does not by the simple way that percentages work.

ViciousDS

Banned
Battlefront is definitely one to watch. It will be a very unique release. I think it'll be the first time that a high quality AAA game is being tied in with a movie release. Definitely the first time it's been done for a movie this big. I think it will pass CoD and push a lot of console sales.

All 4 of those titles are going to jump sales, but yes, Star Wars and the movie will be the biggest reason. A kid getting battlefront, and call of duty under the Christmas tree this year with either console seems to be reasonable. I don't know how many kids I see with Vader toys, light sabers the audience for Star Wars hits every age and the sales will definitely show for it.

system11

Not sure why so many people are fixated on console doomsaying. Do you know what will happen if that comes to pass? No more big budget games for anyone.

Also not sure why people even include Wii sales figures for the past generation count, because it was clearly an anomaly, a bubble, a swollen walled garden mostly unrelated to the traditional market.

system11

I'm actually expecting it to do averagely, potential bomba. I spoke to a bunch of people at work who are firmly 'average mainstream gamers' and they had tried the Battlefront beta, and no plans to buy it now. It felt a bit soulless to me, I don't think the beta did the game any favours. Everyone is buying BO3 though.

So your argument now is that Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are not real software and shouldn't be counted towards Wii's total software sales?

Your original argument was that Wii gamers were grandparents etc. who bought only 1 game. Now we are at 7 per console according to you, and at 9 according to actual data.
This is definitely missing the point, which was that casuals who enjoy casual games have moved onto mobile.

Walpurgis

Banned
Okay. Lets illustrate. Taking numbers out of my ass because I can't bother to gather real numbers but you should get the point.

During some point of early life:

Console A: 2 000 000
Console B: 3 600 000

In this case console B has sold 80% more than console A. Unit wise the difference is 1.6 million.

During later life:
Console A: 15 000 000
Console B: 21 000 000

In this case console B has sold 40% more than console A. Unit wise the difference is 6 million.

Say to me which gap is bigger?

Ok, I'll walk through this.

1 million compared to 500,000 is 100% more.

9 million compared to 6 million is 50% more.

Aligning to a single date, the "lead" is still larger in the second case, despite a lower percentage.

You are taking ZhugeEX's prediction (which is fine -- you are free to take that, and it may very well happen), but using as evidence a decrease in percentages.

The decrease in percentages does not imply a decrease in the gap. The two statistics are related, but one does not imply the other -- your argument on page 1 was that the 80% -> 40% number did, when it does not by the simple way that percentages work.
I get what you guys meant but I don't even know what the actual numbers are. I was speaking in percentages and rates the whole time.

TheAssist

Last gen had over 7 years to sell those units.

I guess quite a lot were double dips (for special editions, new revisions) and plain simple replacement units. So not actual install base.
I'm not saying it compensates, since this will happen this gen again (but this gen probably wont be as long, hence less revisions and replacements needed), just that it might screw the number a little.

Javin98

Banned
Sorry if I missed it but what is the worldwide breakdown of PS4's install base?
Well, we haven't gotten an update for the sold through figures worldwide in many months now. The last official one from Sony was 20.2 million by the end of February IIRC. The latest shipment numbers were 25.3 million by the end of June 2015. However, with this info, we can roughly estimate the WW sold through figures. We know that the US contributes slightly more than a third of the global sales for the PS4. So, I'd say that worldwide the PS4 was approaching or around 27 million by the end of September 2015. I expect shipment numbers by the end of September to be at least 28 million, but I'm leaning more towards 28.5 million.

Also, holy shit, this thread is full of doom and gloom posts.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm actually expecting it to do averagely, potential bomba. I spoke to a bunch of people at work who are firmly 'average mainstream gamers' and they had tried the Battlefront beta, and no plans to buy it now. It felt a bit soulless to me, I don't think the beta did the game any favours. Everyone is buying BO3 though.
I'm not buying it because premium and no server browsers but the beta was very fun. Besides, oddly enough, most players don't even bother with betas. I think the bulk of the sales will be from that crowd.

Not sure why so many people are fixated on console doomsaying. Do you know what will happen if that comes to pass? No more big budget games for anyone.

Also not sure why people even include Wii sales figures for the past generation count, because it was clearly an anomaly, a bubble, a swollen walled garden mostly unrelated to the traditional market.

People are trying way too hard to find cracks in console sales and then quick to attributing it to mobiles or other thing killing consoles. There literally could not be any explanation why sales could slow down other than people losing interest and starting to play on mobiles!

hawk2025

I get what you guys meant but I don't even know what the actual numbers are. I was speaking in percentages and rates the whole time.

Therein lies the problem: Percentages and rates are not enough to conclude that a gap is closing, since the baseline is also changing.

watership

This. Great games everywhere this holiday. I have no idea how things are going to shake out in terms of sales, but I think X1,and PS4 will do well. I think Star Wars Battlefront will be the breakout casual champagne though. Nostalgia, marketing and hype from the movies. That game feels shallow, but it'll sell.

With the Wii out of the picture and people more willing to drop $500 on plastic electronics at the drop of a hat than they were 10 years ago, I actually expected the install base to be higher this gen. :<

Sometimes I wonder if you don't set yourself for disappointment on purpose.

wait, what's doomed now? Who?

that kind of lead over last gen won't last. Hopefully they get aggressive on price in 2016-2017 and hit the $250 price point sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom