• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units in Germany

Xando

Wait a minute.

250,000 sold in 2013
290,000 from January 1st to June 30th
460,000 from July 1st to October 21st?

Are we sure they're talking about sold through and not sold in?

Destiny and Fifa had a lot of good bundles (+1 game or +1 controller for 399€). These were huge games and it was the first time PS4 wasn't supply constrained.

chithanh

Banned
250,000 sold in 2013

They don't say explicitly whether these numbers are sold-through or shipped.

But PS4 was very difficult to find in stores until around April, so it is very well possible.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
So Sony has a complete lock on Europe this generation then eh? Congrats Sony, wish that Xbone and Wii U was selling better tbh...
I think Sony have always had a lock on WW. If PS3 was cheaper it never would of lost it that's it
If it had launched same time as 360 things would of been very different

pLow7

I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but I could swear Xbone sold a bit more. If those are true then it's worse than I have imagined. That pretty much confirms that xbone is dead in Germany.
EDIT: Ok, WiiU numbers are mentioned by Nintendo themselves and xbone is tracked by GfK. Good god Microsoft...

Yeah they're getting stomped pretty much in every country in Europe.

But it's not like they're trying to do anything to change that.

ec0ec0

I live in spain. Each time that we have one of this threads about sales in some europe countries (spain, germany, france, etc..) i remember that US GAF is waiting for the next NPD to see if microsoft wins one month or not...

jelly

Quite staggering when you think the UK and Germany PS4 base possibly amounts to more than a quarter of the Xbox One's worldwide install base. Getting absolutely thumped.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Destiny and Fifa had a lot of good bundles (+1 game or +1 controller for 399€). These were huge games and it was the first time PS4 wasn't supply constrained.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130752620&postcount=126

Given what we know, it seems PS4 + Xbox One accounted for 166,000 in UK between Week 26 to Week 36. While 460,000 refer to just PS4 in Germany, up to Week 42. Yeah, I know about the bundles, but, given how German market should be smaller than UK (even if not as much as in the past), that seems to be a way too big number from Week 26 to Week 42 (Summer up to October). Maybe, something was wrong when PS4 was reported to have sold 540,000, maybe it was higher than that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait a minute.

250,000 sold in 2013

For the longest time, US got all the PS4s
ps4-amazon-warehouse-2.jpg

They sold in, does this mean shipped or sold to consumers? I think its Shipped figures but still i believe its close to or above 1million by now as they report this is until 21st october which is a month before sales.

spekkeh

Banned
Damn good job Sony.

Heh at Wii U : XB1 being 2:1.

To think Germany was even a tier 1 country and MM shipped its German unsold consoles to tier 2 countries.

Xando

Given what we know, it seems PS4 + Xbox One accounted for 166,000 in UK between Week 26 to Week 36. While 460,000 refer to just PS4 in Germany, up to Week 42. Yeah, I know about the bundles, but, given how German market should be smaller than UK (even if not as much as in the past), that seems to be a way too big number from Week 26 to Week 42 (Summer up to October). Maybe, something was wrong when PS4 was reported to have sold 540,000, maybe it was higher than that.

Yeah seems like something is wrong.
PS4 hype is crazy though don't think its impossible that they have reached 1million sold trough already.
They have a new TV ad every few weeks often with the german Pewdiepies Gronk and Salazar and retailers Media Markt and Saturn often make their own TV spots for PS4 bundles (Saw the Media Markt Fifa + PS4 bundle ad more often than the official Fifa 15 ad).

Sold to retailers (shipped)
How do you know?

It says "Verkauft in Deutschland" that means sold in Germany not sold-in.

German market is smaller but it's also completely dominated by one platform. In UK PS4 has to share the market with Xbox One that also sells rather well.

That's what happens in markets where you already traditionally struggle when you forget you're supposed to sell a global product. "TV TV TV" doesn't sell many game consoles out here.

SCE has branches and dedicated resources in many smaller markets throughout Europe and the rest of the world where Microsoft doesn't even make a serious effort. They may be small markets individually, but when you add all those up you get the largest market share in the world.

Sold to retailers (shipped)

What makes you think it's shipped to retailers. They sold 540k to consumers by late July. So another 460k up to October is very likely, especially when you consider that up to may/June there was only limited supply and in the past few months we have seen the release of FIFA and Destiny.

Superman00

Liverpool01
What makes you think it's shipped to retailers. They sold 540k to consumers by late July. So another 460k up to October is very likely, especially when you consider that up to may/June there was only limited supply and in the past few months we have seen the release of FIFA and Destiny.

Sold through is more than likely as people are saying stocks was more accessible, on top of that several big games were released from end of May-Oct 21.
Watch dogs
The last of us remaster
Diablo 3
FIFA 15
Destiny
Driveclub

EGM1966

Beer, Bratwurst and Playstation
Sounds a good combination - now I'm hungry and thirsty.

Edit: also quite the gap and big ratio advantage based on available info.

No wonder MS seems do focused on US and UK at the moment; I would be too in their shoes.

So PS4 has now passed 1 million sold in UK and Germany, the two biggest European markets.

And the PS4 has a 1.1m lead in NA, obviously the biggest market. PS4 has got the gen on lockdown for sure.

Dinda

It seems to be sold to customers.

http://www.mediabiz.de/games/news/eine-mio-playstation-4-in-deutschland-verkauft/387683
This site provides the official charts, and they clearly state "durchverkauft" which means sold to customer in this context.

Wait a minute.

250,000 sold in 2013

It depends, either the numbers where until the point where you couldn't get a PS4 in Germany (End of May) or they where incorrect. But i do believe that it is possible that they sold so many since then. I know 2 people who ordered around launch and didn't get their PS4s till May and the other one in June.

Xando

http://www.mediabiz.de/games/news/eine-mio-playstation-4-in-deutschland-verkauft/387683
This site provides the official charts, and they clearly state "durchverkauft" which means sold to customer in this context.

It depends, either the numbers where until the point where you couldn't get a PS4 in Germany (End of May) or they where incorrect. But i do believe that it is possible that they sold so many since then. I know 2 people who ordered around launch and didn't get their PS4s till May and the other one in June.

Yeah Durchverkauft = sold through confirmed.

Edit:

Time to 1 million:
PS2 = ~15 months
PS3 = ~22 months
PS4 = ~ 11 months

PS4 sales are really impressive.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

This site provides the official charts, and they clearly state "durchverkauft" which means sold to customer.

Mmmmh...I seriously wonder what kind of Summer PS4 had, in the case it sold that much. That sounds like a very big amount, IMHO even too much. I'd love to hear an official confirmation that it is indeed sold to customers. Unless numbers up to June were incorrect, actually higher than what reported, which would be another possible explanation.

kadotsu

Banned
Mmmmh...I seriously wonder what kind of Summer PS4 had, in the case it sold that much. That sounds like a very big amount, IMHO even too much. I'd love to hear an official confirmation that it is indeed sold to customers. Unless numbers up to June were incorrect, actually higher than what reported, which would be another possible explanation.

The PS4 was supply constrained until summer. The last few months was demand catching up.

Xando

They've also never heard of pre-ordering. Got mine in a calm line at midnight here in Sweden, most people were half asleep.

Got my PS4 from Amazon but i pre ordered right after the reveal, if you pre ordered in summer 2013 you would have been lucky to get one before january. It was sold out everywhere.

jakncoke

Banned
What ?

Japan has nearly 45 million citizens more than Germany.

edit: Or you mean that Gemany sold more than Japan, then i'm sorry

Ye im sure he meant that. Who even knows when PS4 Japan will hit 1 million mark. Maybe sometime in January if there is a enough units of that slime ps4 and they have a bigger than expected December but wouldnt count on itl.

Pila

I don't have a PS4 but I'm always happy to see home consoles doing good. So good. :)

(those morons running like crazy because they have to buy some mass-produced item... it's not the fucking Mona Lisa they will sell them for years. What the shit)

pLow7

Ye im sure he meant that. Who even knows when PS4 Japan will hit 1 million mark. Maybe sometime in January if there is a enough units of that slime ps4 and they have a bigger than expected December but wouldnt count on itl.

Yeah, i missunderstood the "bigger" part.

Actually it's unbelievable that a japanese Console is selling a lot better in a smaller country than Japan.

XBOX selling better in Europe than in US would be madness.

Dinda

It would also be interesting to know how Sony and GFK come to their respective Numbers. Maybe Sony has a better way of tracking imports. Especially in the time where you couldn't get a PS4 in Germany there where a lot of sales from sites like notebooksbilliger.de etc., and a lot of the Systems they sold there where spanish, italien etc, instead of German.
I don't think this could explain a really big difference, but it may play a role.

Xando

It would also be interesting to know how Sony and GFK come to their respective Numbers. Maybe Sony has a better way of tracking imports. Especially in the time where you couldn't get a PS4 in Germany there where a lot of sales from sites like notebooksbilliger.de etc., and a lot of the Systems they sold there where spanish, italien etc, instead of German.
I don't think this could explain a really big difference, but it may play a role.

Don't these imported consoles sold from german retailers technically get counted twice? once in spain and once in germany for example?

Yeah, i missunderstood the "bigger" part.

Actually it's unbelievable that a japanese Console is selling a lot better in a smaller country than Japan.

XBOX selling better in Europe than in US would be madness.

Not it's not. People in Japan seem to wait for games they think will make the purchase valuable. In EU or US whether people have already a list of games they'll buy with the system or they hope coming games are going to be good (with no delay but if you bought at launch like I did you may have some bad taste in your mouth since a lot of games are disappointing or have been delayed to 2015... still if we speak about the system itself it's of course a good good).

Top Bottom