• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sold 1 million units in Germany

Dinda

Don't these imported consoles sold from german retailers technically get counted twice? once in spain and once in germany for example?

These are the things i would like to know, would of course also depend from who they where imported.
I also don't know if they actually stocked them here (in Germany) for all i know they could have send them straight from Spain or somewhere through some subsidiary. This is highly unlikely, but in that case it would probably only count to Spains Sales. (like normal private imports)

Xando

These are the things i would like to know, would of course also depend from who they where imported.
I also don't know if they actually stocked them here (in Germany) for all i know they could have send them straight from Spain or somewhere through some subsidiary. This is highly unlikely, but in that case it would probably only count to Spains Sales. (like normal private imports)

Yeah would be interesting if we had someone with inside here on Gaf. If i remember right my local Media Markt had some PS4s from the benelux countries but not 100% sure.

Obligatory
iC5mX9vvQyhdr.gif

Why does Mattrick look so sad during that interview? What is he actually saying? lol

panda-zebra

Doesn't sound like that much to me? It already sold more than that in the UK, which has a way smaller population, and is seeing better XBO sales, so stiffer competition. Is gaming not a big deal in Germany?

You got to remember how hard it was to find a ps4 in .de for the first 3 months or so.

Oh, this thread also reminded me of that video of Germans queueing for their ps4s on day #1, looks like it's been deleted now though :/ Was epic.

Skeff

I wouldn't read too much into this.

On a more serious note, the sales since the last update seem to have been phenomenal, Perhaps this could be a case of pent up demand due to lack of stock, I remember people on here talking around seeing their first PS4 on a shelf back in April/May.

Donos

Scalpers who first preordered PS4 on amazon.de after the reveal or MediaMarkt Frontline Warriors who got it on release day made big cash on ebay and small ads. PS4 was sold out a looong time. Lot of people who bought it for double the price on ebay and even later for 600 €.

nampad

Sony is wiping the floor with Microsoft in Germany as expected. It was Sonyland to begin with and the whole DRM/Kinect thing soured pretty much everybody here, people are more conscious about their rights and privacy here.

Sony delivered a well balanced console so they deserve it.

Odah

Banned
I can't believe that those shop raids never happen for like tomatoes or apples or something. Kappa

It's always the electronics.

Congrats to Sony I guess.

Mmmmh...I seriously wonder what kind of Summer PS4 had, in the case it sold that much. That sounds like a very big amount, IMHO even too much. I'd love to hear an official confirmation that it is indeed sold to customers. Unless numbers up to June were incorrect, actually higher than what reported, which would be another possible explanation.
FIFA. It's absolutely insane in Germany and since it released the PS4 has improved markedly as can be seen in the top 50.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sony is wiping the floor with Microsoft in Germany as expected. It was Sonyland to begin with and the whole DRM/Kinect thing soured pretty much everybody here, people are more conscious about their rights and privacy here.

Sony delivered a well balanced console so they deserve it.
It is simulator land and when people are tired from working all day in Farm Simulator 2014 and Public Transportation Simulator 2014 they need to play some FIFA.

haveheart

Banned
ir2gff6Hn7HNx.gif

The scariest one

I think that's from the opening of a Media Markt in Poland or Czech about two or three years ago.

I ordered my PS4 4 months before release and I was was lucky to get one (Amazon). After the release, prices on Ebay were extremley high (up to 1,200 €) once everybody realized that it would indeed be sold out until January or February 2014.

Sakujou

Banned
germany has always been a sony country, so there was this was just a matter of time. iam sad that there is no real competition. a friend of mine tried to explain, that the next xbox isnt out yet.... another one tried to explain that ps+ in europe is so much better than xbox live.

so its pretty much about being misinformed here in germany :(

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

To be fair, MS never said that they are going to sell 1 billion Xbox 360s, just that there will be 1 billion consumers, who will be reached by the content and services:

"In the HD era, we are going to reach 1 billion people with our medium."

Maybe that was (in hindsight) a bit over ambitious, but still, 80 million consoles, how many users per console on average, five? (Including movie rentals, Netflix, HBO etc) Could be even more. Yeah, they probably missed their mark by some margin, but you'll never get anywhere thinking "let's see if we can make ten million people aware that we have a console".

Ms needs to do something in Europe if they ever want the system to succeed, beyond that slice they get from the UK. The markets in Europe are ever growing, but everything is going towards the PS4.

truth411

Ms needs to do something in Europe if they ever want the system to succeed, beyond that slice they get from the UK. The markets in Europe are ever growing, but everything is going towards the PS4.

I think there moving in on China. I don't think the PS4 has launched there yet.

It's not so much that "everything is going towards the PS4", it's that Microsoft consoles have no traction in Europe outside of UK. Microsoft sales were heavilty loaded towards the UK and US.

It's not so much that "everything is going towards the PS4", it's that Microsoft consoles have no traction in Europe outside of UK. Microsoft sales were heavilty loaded towards the UK and US.

Actually the PS4 after 12 months has already sold 1/6th of the LTD amount of PS3 AND 360 combined. I think that is the fastest selling console ever in Germany.

Haunted

I'm ok with those numbers.

I often hear people in the US saying that we're exaggerating the criticism and failure of the XB1 because they see a different picture in their own country. XB1 is fucking done in continental Europe, especially so in Germany.

Doesn't sound like that much to me? It already sold more than that in the UK, which has a way smaller population, and is seeing better XBO sales, so stiffer competition. Is gaming not a big deal in Germany?
all about the PC

Console gaming has a smaller marketshare compared to other countries.

I think that's from the opening of a Media Markt in Poland or Czech about two or three years ago.
If the on-screen text is correct, that's the PS4 launch in a German Media Markt (Pforzheim is a city in Southwest Germany).

Top Bottom