• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

8513373956_cb814772ef_b.jpg

Uh...

WatTsu

I'm not really super excited for either character, but I am super excited the game will still be supported given all the unpleasantness.

Hoping for a few more before we're done with DLC.

I'm not really super excited for either character, but I am super excited the game will still be supported given all the unpleasantness.

Hoping for a few more before we're done with DLC.

I'm in the same boat. Characters are kinda underwhelming to me but I see why people would like them. I will say I'm much more excited for Zeus than Isaac for whatever reason

Sidebar: I now have a Sackboy alt costume I like!

SmithnCo

LOL so it was Zeus and Isaac.

Isaac looks really good and has a built-in confirm with the stasis, dunno what to think about that yet. Zeus looks suited to FFA with the slow movement but fast AP gain.

Unfinished Swan as a level is a cool touch.

TheMink

Don't do this to me Mink. You'll break my heart ;-;

Nooo ;_; Naaaapaaalm

I... I think I love you, Mink. I must be the only person alive who's happy to have Zeus as a playable character.

Yes! Made one person happy :D

I was surprised to see in the announce thread you made that people were going "oh Isaac cool, Zeus wth?!? Omg makes no sense rawr!"
I thought people would rather have Zeus than Isaac. I was wrong :/

Im happy to see how unique hes is, i noticed his hits do additional shock damge afterward, probably only if they are fully charged. I think he will have some very interesting combos.

Skyzard

Banned
My initial reaction wasn't great to Zeus especially but the way they've designed the moves/gameplay for both seem fantastic. Cannot wait for it to land, no set date yet? I never played Medievil or Unfinished Swan but still buying the map too. More !

*resists talking about lingering balance issues* We got any word from SM if they're planning on doing anything about it?

Zeus does seem like he'll make Big Daddy pointless though..........

KevinCow

Banned
Zeus does seem like he'll make Big Daddy pointless though..........

Yeah, he kinda does.

He's more powerful than Big Daddy, he's got better mid- and long-range attacks with all that lightning, he's got some more versatile tricks, and - perhaps most importantly - his supers actually look really good.

I wish Big Daddy was better. :(

Skyzard

Banned
March 19 -- less than three weeks away.

Excellent, thanks again!

Yeah, he kinda does.

He's more powerful than Big Daddy, he's got better mid- and long-range attacks with all that lightning, he's got some more versatile tricks, and - perhaps most importantly - his supers actually look really good.

I wish Big Daddy was better. :(

Big Daddy is pointless already. Worst character in the game probably.

Seth even said "I bet Big Daddy wouldn't mind trading some moves with Zeus" crying-lol...really hope they've left balance notes for SM. You'd think (pretty safe bet) that they'd know what needs changing for a balanced game, especially with how well they put these characters together.. bit of an annoying dafuq.

The more I think about Zeus, the more I don't like it. I had a good reason last night, but I forgot, haha. But he's a non-playable character, villian, boss. Those just don't seem like they fit (except for Radec, because he can just be a Helgan).

Also, I was thinking. What the hell could Zeus' colors/costumes be? A green zeus flying around would be weird.

Ryce

But he's a non-playable character, villian, boss. Those just don't seem like they fit (except for Radec, because he can just be a Helgan).
Fat Princess and Big Daddy aren't playable in their games either, so I don't see it as a big deal. Zeus is the main villain of Sony's flagship franchise; if any series deserves a second character, it's God of War.

KevinCow

Banned
Zeus could have an Ares alt. He has the same build, and would fit as a major God of War antagonist.

Might be weird to have Ares blasting lightning all over, though. Maybe if they went the extra mile and changed all the lightning to fire, just as a purely aesthetic change.

KalBalboa

Banned
Fat Princess and Big Daddy aren't playable in their games either, so I don't see it as a big deal. Zeus is the main villain of Sony's flagship franchise; if any series deserves a second character, it's God of War.

Big Daddy is playable in Bioshock 2, right? And
you become one in the first game.

The characters are all so well-designed that I don't want the stream of DLC to ever stop. :(

I wonder... do you think they're going to try to go FTP at some point, or freebie the game on PS+? It'd be a good incentive to add at least one more pair of characters to the mix.

Thanks for all the continued inside info, Mink. Looking forward to hearing what your source has to say next! (At least, I think I am...)

If possible, try to get some word out of him on whether or not there will ever be any balancing done over at SSM. At this point, I think a lot of us are almost/just as interested in the idea of a balancing patch actually happening as we are more new characters and stages!

OK, now i've seen everything! I just came in second after a guy that had pretty much the exact same belt and number of points as me, +/- 3 points... and i lost 15 goddamn fuckin points!! How the fuck is that possible?! Even if he was several belts lower ranked, i was still in 2nd place! And the best thing? I was back at 89 bp and now i have75 again! Fuck this game!

Here's the proof:

Please someone explain this to me.

Edit:

Nevermind, i'm sorry, false alarm. Seems like it was a glitch. As i loaded up the next match it showed the correct number of belt points. This game will make me blow a gasket, but after the 60-70 points i've been robbed of in the last 48 hours i wouldn't have put it past the game to screw me over in a new way. it's the first time i've seen this glitch though, usually when the scoreboard gets messed up it just doesn't show how much points you have earned or lost in the match, this one was new. Seems like i'll need a break after this season ends.

Skyzard

Banned
Some of these prices are pretty disappointing. I hope Zeus and Isaac aren't £4 each like Kat and Emmett now are!

£5 for both and the map would be okay, otherwise this is taking the piss a bit. Same with the new costumes although I'm not too bothered about those, not as crucial.

I know this is wishful thinking, but since it technically is not March yet... wouldn't it be neat if the news we were supposed to get in March regarding forthcoming DLC turned out to be something completely separate from today's Isaac/Zeus/Unfinished Swan+MediEvil stage reveal?

I know it's 99.9% more likely that the March news was just announced earlier than originally planned, but hey, a guy can dream. ;)

There's no point to playing ranked anymore. The belt system is just as broken as the characters who dominate the mode, so you might as well stick to unranked. The titles really aren't worth i-

Wait a second... Kratos got 15 KILLS?

Sorry, i edited my post above, seems like it was a glitch and it didn't actually subtract the 15 points. But yeah, i don't know why i bother, i'm not even using a title out of the highest tier i unlocked last month (brown), because i liked a green (or was it purple) belt title better.

It's just a personal goal i set myself, i guess. I'm not normally a FG player, but this game really makes me want to put in some effort and get better at it, so i'm striving to improve my belt rankings as well. But i should just take a breather and stop caring that much about it, same way i did with Uncharted mp, after the endless grinding of levels has worn me out. Games are so much more fun when you stop caring about stats. Though i would love to have the "Bears with shotguns" title for 2v2, that's just too hilarious! :D

Kratos got so many kills cause we went into overtime (i stupidly dropped my guard a second before the end because i saw no threat in Kratos anymore, but got caught in a stray Kat lvl1 super), after which he got his second lvl3 super in the match and that put him on top with another 6 or so kills.

I'm surprised about the psn of the guy that was Kratos such a dirty mouth.

Fits with what i thought after the match. :D

TheMink

Thanks for all the continued inside info, Mink. Looking forward to hearing what your source has to say next! (At least, I think I am...)

If possible, try to get some word out of him on whether or not there will ever be any balancing done over at SSM. At this point, I think a lot of us are almost/just as interested in the idea of a balancing patch actually happening as we are more new characters and stages!

Yeah man, hopefully ive got some good news coming.

Ryce

What in particular makes you think there won't be any more? Kat and Emmett could just as easily have been the last characters too, right?
SuperBot left three months after they started working on the DLC, which was probably just enough time to finish the four characters that we know of. I'm worried that Santa Monica Studio might not want to allocate their own designers/programmers/animators/etc. to a game that wasn't very successful to begin with.

OK, 99 bp now, 1 more point and no BS please! And kudos to the brown belted Sir Daniel for not quitting like some other guy did!

Edit: Fuck, lost connection at the start, plz no point loss!

Edit2: Fuck yes, didn't lose points. Got into another match, 2 guys quit and then i got my ass handed by FP, but got my +1 and brown belt!
And to top it off, the Kratos player from earlier added me and wants to team up. :D

/twitter

OmegaZero

The thing about Big Daddy is that he becomes MUCH more dangerous when he knocks someone down. His tech chasing game is quite strong, and his super armor can allow him to absolutely destroy melee based characters in the right hands.

I originally started trying Big Daddy out after I was completely shut down by one during a FFA stock match. Despite the fact that I was my best character, Dante, I couldn't even get one kill in. :/

It takes the right kind of player to use him right, though. Most people just use down triangle until Level 3, but that's a very unsafe way of gaining AP and usually results in the loss of all their lives.

Ehhh, like KalBal said, Big Daddy was playable in both games and Fat Princess is the main character of the game (plus you get her minions).

I don't know. It just feels weird, playing online and someone is Zeus... I feel like Athena would make more sense, even though I dont think she could work.I don't know, I'm still excited for both. The more the merrier!

All I know, is this game needs a fucking sequel.

SmithnCo

What in particular makes you think there won't be any more? Kat and Emmett could just as easily have been the last characters too, right?

Superbot probably finished Zeus/Isaac before they left. Or most of it, at least. I'm a bit skeptical about how involved SSM will be in the game after Superbot's DLC runs out.

SuperBot left three months after they started working on the DLC, which was probably just enough time to finish the four characters that we know of. I'm worried that Santa Monica Studio might not want to allocate their own designers/programmers/animators/etc. to a game that wasn't very successful to begin with.

Superbot probably finished Zeus/Isaac before they left. Or most of it, at least. I'm a bit skeptical about how involved SSM will be in the game after Superbot's DLC runs out.

Hm, true enough. Well, at least Ryu Hayabusa sort-of maybe still exists in some form (Mink's source hasn't been wrong yet, and I wouldn't say Lightning counts since it seems pretty certain she was in development or planned to be included at some point at least), so that provides hope for at least one more pair of characters (Ryu and his rival).

Of course, it's impossible to know for sure either way. :/

Ryce

Hm, true enough. Well, at least Ryu Hayabusa sort-of maybe still exists in some form (Mink's source hasn't been wrong yet, and I wouldn't say Lightning counts since it seems pretty certain she was in development or planned to be included at some point at least), so that provides hope for at least one more pair of characters (Ryu and his rival).

Of course, it's impossible to know for sure either way. :/
There have been some clues pointing towards additional DLC…

Ryu Hayabusa - site leak, TheMink
Abe - Stewart Gilray
Gravity Rush stage - animator interview

…but, again, it all depends on Santa Monica's willingness to work on the new content. Here's to hoping TheMink will pull through!

There have been some clues pointing towards additional DLC…

Ryu Hayabusa - site leak, TheMink
Abe - Stewart Gilray
Gravity Rush stage - animator interview

…but, again, it all depends on Santa Monica's willingness to work on the new content. Here's to hoping TheMink will pull through!

Was the silhouette on the site leak 100% confirmed to be Ryu? Also, what was the deal with renders of Kazuya and Jin also being on the site? They turned out to not be in the game and Clockwork confirmed that Heihachi was the only Tekken character in the game, so is it possible that Ryu is just another part of those strangely pointless renders?

EDIT: Looking at it again, yeah, that has to be Ryu. There's just no one else it could be. The render looks too similar, right down to the scythe. So never mind about that...

Ryce

Clock said Heihachi was the only Tekken character in the game, but he never denied Ryu Hayabusa, which is interesting. Regardless of that image, we still have Mink saying that Hayabusa was going to be DLC.

matmanx1

Picked up the Vita version today with the PS+ sale and just ran through the Parappa story mode to check the game out. I am very impressed with the visuals and sound design and I really think this is one of the best looking games on the Vita.

I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the action and characters flying around the screen but I like what I see so far and am excited to see the other characters stories and maybe try some online.

I watched the new DLC video with Seth Killian and I honestly thought Zeus looks a lot cooler in action than Isaac did. And being a God of War fan I would certainly use Zeus before I'd use Isaac. Then again, I tend to like bruiser type power characters in most games.

Clock said Heihachi was the only Tekken character in the game, but he never denied Ryu Hayabusa, which is interesting. Regardless of that image, we still have Mink saying that Hayabusa was going to be DLC.

Yeah, but maybe he just specifically addressed Jin and Kazuya cause people got very upset at the notion of there being three third party characters from the same franchise and he wanted to put out the fire, so to speak. Though we also have The mink saying Ryu has been in the works and he has a proven track record, so there's that.

Edit:

OK, i'm playing ranked 2v2 now and the rage quitting there is even worse, had four in a row now. Didn't lose any points though and even more curious, i actually got a win as soon as one of the matches started. That's how it should be actually, auto win if the opponents quit, no matter if it's at the loading screen or during a match.

Top Bottom