• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

KalBalboa

Banned
Same boat. I'm skeptical about everything though haha.

By the way, is anybody just HYPED for Isaac Clarke? not hearing it too much

I definitely am. I love the first Dead Space, his supers look awesome, and the fact his suit reflects his position during a match is genius.

Plus, hey- a survival horror rep.

I took it to mean that Mink's source is no longer working on PSAS. There could still be more DLC coming from SSM.

Yeah I bet SSM are going to do some fun stuff.
Journey Dude and Sora, make it happen! Haha also Lammy has yet to be made a minion, maybe she can join the fray

KalBalboa

Banned
With Isaac & Zeus we'll now have twenty-four characters (that's 72 supers!). What else can we expect?

Extremely Safe Bets:
+Additional costumes
+Additional minions

50/50 Assumptions
+Another pair of characters
+Another stage

Step

So far we got this at least.

+ T-Patch on February 27th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:Third-party pre-order costumes when?

+ Seth Killian on February 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm said:
Depends on the 3rd parties, but we have some very cool stuff for them and hopefully can share soon.

So i spoke to my source and they are "not working on all stars anymore"

I asked if there is anything else already completed not yet realesed and i am still waiting on a response for that.

So... Yeah. :(

Well, that is... legitimately disappointing. I guess that's that then, unless your source (a) clarifies that he just meant he specifically is not working on it anymore, and SSM at large still is, or (b) that more DLC has already been finished and is waiting for release.

Somehow I have a feeling that will not be the case, though. How unfortunate. But I guess money talks; the game didn't sell that well, and there's no point in Sony wasting resources on further DLC for this game when they won't make their money back, much less profit from it.

Ugh. Zeus and Isaac... what a disappointing note to end on, and there's almost zero chance for a sequel to beef up the roster. This is a sad day. :(

I guess the Ryu Hayabusa deal just fell through or something, maybe like Lightning. Strange.

KalBalboa

Banned
Well, that is... legitimately disappointing. I guess that's that then, unless your source (a) clarifies that he just meant he specifically is not working on it anymore, and SSM at large still is, or (b) that more DLC has already been finished and is waiting for release.

Somehow I have a feeling that will not be the case, though. How unfortunate. But I guess money talks; the game didn't sell that well, and there's no point in Sony wasting resources on further DLC for this game when they won't make their money back, much less profit from it.

Ugh. Zeus and Isaac... what a disappointing note to end on, and there's almost zero chance for a sequel to beef up the roster. This is a sad day. :(

I guess the Ryu Hayabusa deal just fell through or something, maybe like Lightning. Strange.

If the game sold 2x or 3x what it did, maybe it would have gone the LittleBigPlanet route with DLC (aka, droves of it). I expect a fire-sale someday on the PSN for $10.

Ah well. I'm still wondering if we'll see another pair after these two. Seems 50/50 to me.

SmithnCo

I asked if there is anything else already completed not yet realesed and i am still waiting on a response for that.

Is "they" Superbot or SSM? Is your source close enough to know what's happening at SSM?

KalBalboa

Banned
SSM's relationship with the game is a little vague to me. I hope we find out soon if they're simply delivering content or if they are actively working on the game under Seth's guidance.

Here's hoping for the latter.

What is everyone's general opinion on PaRappa? Initially I wanted to main him because I love him as a character, but I dropped him fairly quickly because of a relative lack of ranged options and a general feeling that he's underpowered and builds AP way too slowly, especially considering only one of his supers (level 2) is worth a damn. It's just too difficult to get in against anyone who knows how to use a character with lots of ranged options well.

Thoughts?

OmegaZero

What is everyone's general opinion on PaRappa? Initially I wanted to main him because I love him as a character, but I dropped him fairly quickly because of a relative lack of ranged options and a general feeling that he's underpowered and builds AP way too slowly, especially considering only one of his supers (level 2) is worth a damn. It's just too difficult to get in against anyone who knows how to use a character with lots of ranged options well.

Thoughts?

Simple AP burst combos off of the mic throw attack and a projectile reflecting attack make him an easy character to pick up, but his range and poor supers prevent him from being anything higher then mid-tier.
I agree that his AP build is fairly slow and that he has trouble against good zoners, but his boombox discourages campers at least.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you ever talk about anything other than OP characters?

Lol ok I'm talking about balancing the game out, but w/e let's talk about how perfect it is as it is.

Jesus, what a scrub like mentality. You're going to ban 25% of the roster?

Never said that once... quote me on it seriously. I said Kat is banned, and sackboy was banned. That's a scrub mentality to take out borderline cheating? Do you know the definition of a "broken" character?

He needs something. I want people to actually use him.

Plenty of people use him... you come at me about complaining and you don't even know much about the game. My main partner in the game (my cousin) mains Sackboy and he DESTROYS people 1v1.

Its probably because I am Sackboy mainer but I find him really good. Only buff I want is to make Jam useful. If you want more then nerf AP cost on those average level 1 and 2 supers. But he is fine otherwise. Even after meganerfs he is still top tier...ish... for me. :)

Also LOL what were they THINKING on that Fat P icon. LMAO I laughed so hard when I saw that online. XD

You are right sackboy is a BEAST. He can range out, he's got a fairly easy AP burst combo, multiple hit confirms for his lvl 1. His lvl 2 is a guaranteed kill, and his lvl 3 is the best in the game IMO, and I think most would agree with that. He absolutely needed the nerf, he was mega god tier prior to it.

I agreed. He used to be my number 1 character but I still do main him but not much anymore.

He's a beast, you should try picking him up again.

Interestingly enough, most of the Sackboys I see use combos now.

Because he's a pretty damn good close range character actually. Using his shockpad while ranging draws people in, and it's the perfect way to start a combo.

Thoughts?

I main parappa and while he has some beast startups and great combos, his super weakness destroys hi. This is one of the main reasons I talk a lot about balancing, simply because of characters like him or anybody else who doesn't have a viable confirm gets the shit end of the stick. They should do 1 of two things for him IMO. A. give him a valid lvl 1 hit confirm to allow him to compete 1v1, or 2. Improve his lvl 2 time to make it so you can get 2 kills on 1 character for 1v1 situations if used properly. As of right now the only way to do that is if your opponent dodges.

Drencrom

Thoughts?

Love him personally, my main. His range is bad but I compensate that with the mic-grab and his skateboard down dash. But yeah, he's kinda underpowered when it comes to supers and hit-confirms (especially compared to f**king Raiden)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What is that reason? Seriously, I'm actually curious as I've never fought a Kat player that has come across as overwhelming. Just because I haven't fought them doesn't mean they don't exist. You say you have fought them, so fill me in!

Legitimately curious.

I can't comment on what the other boards reasonings are, but yes anybody with a 90 AP combo into a super is ridiculous... how is that fair in a game based on supers? What I do know about her is this.

- Ridiculously easy confirms for super 1.
- multiple since she can combo into her confirm... this means she can combo from: Grabs, air grabs (only character with this type of grab as far as I know), regular attacks, and from all angles, giving her more confirms than maybe any character.
-90 AP combo into confirm means she will literally only lose what, 60 AP from using her super? Will never not be lvl 1.
- super mobile, very difficult to hit with supers unless confirmed. This is fine if she was a weaker character, but she's already top tier.
- very difficult to punish and broken hit boxes, this is fact not opinion in regards to the broken hit boxes, emmet has them as well.
- Her lvl 2 is pretty good, and lvl 3 is God tier. Again fine, but this means all of her supers are damn good, when the majority of the characters are SOL.
- her air grab IMO is her single biggest advantage. She jumps up and grabs rapidly. The area in which is grabs is MASSIVE, so if you're jumping she gets you in a combo, if you're under or slightly behind her she gets you in a combo, if you're next to her she gets you in a combo. On top of this she can grab MULTIPLE people into this combo. So when I try to jump in and help out a partner she just spams this move rapidly and we both just get sucked in. This is the only character with this ability AFAIK, and it's ridiculously easy to pull off.

Again these are just some of my observations from what I've seen of Kat. I've played some insane Kat players and been felt pretty overwhelmed by her sheer range and ability to start up combos... especially when these combos at 90 AP end with me dying.

I think may be because that full combo that she can do straight into a level 1. I also knows she has a hitconfirm into level 1 off of her grab attack, I have a friend who did it to me plenty times and its super frustrating. I'm not sure for certain but those can be two reasons why the community essentially banned her.

I can deal with hitconfirms on most characters, stuff like Sweet Tooths neutral square in the air, Nariko's jump up circle from a distance even Raidens Forward blade thrust move (its very easy to read) but I do think the grab one on Kat is a little cheap.

Read my post above to see why it's not just a grab. Prior to the nerf when Raiden was mega god tier as well, his throw that crumpled made him broken the same way Kat is right now. Hit confirms are fine because you should have to work for them. Sweet Tooths is stupidly easy to dodge... on top of this his LVL 2 is GARBAGE, so what other options does he have? Kat has a million different options and paths she can take, where most characters have to try to find their way in to use their strengths. It's unbalanced when a character is given every strength in the game- combos, confirms, great supers, ridiculously mobile and elusive, fast AP gain, etc.

Love him personally, my main. His range is bad but I compensate that with the mic-grab and his skateboard down dash. But yeah, he's kinda underpowered when it comes to supers and hit-confirms (especially compared to f**king Raiden)

yeah you gotta be careful with the mic grab though, extremely punishable. I usually do the mic grab either after over circle or a jump in like the skateboard dash.

TheMink

Lol ok I'm talking about balancing the game out, but w/e let's talk about how perfect it is as it is.

Plenty of people use him... you come at me about complaining and you don't even know much about the game. My main partner in the game (my cousin) mains Sackboy and he DESTROYS people 1v1.

It was a joke breh. Hyporboles generally are.

I dont know much? If thats how your going to debate with me then im done.

I was trying to meet you halfway about the Kat and OP characters stuff earlier, but this makes it clear to me that you've got no idea what you're talking about and are just trolling. You're barking up the wrong tree if you honestly believe Mink "doesn't know much" about the game. Wow.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It was a joke breh. Hyporboles generally are.

I dont know much? If thats how your going to debate with me then im done.

How I'm going to debate with you? Pretty sure you started it man. I'm talking about the game being out of balance. Somebody was talking about Kat, and I commented on how she is OP and banned from compe titions.

I also do talk about characters being OP because I personally believe superbot has handled the game poorly. They've not addressed a single thing that not only the fans were calling for, but should be BASIC 101 stuff in an online competitive game.

- Balancing of characters is the big one- Drake, Raiden, Kratos being the big 3, some would argue sly and the coles. Instead the neuter the everliving shit out of sackboy and leave sony's babies alone. Excuse me actually they gave them a little pinch on the arm. Kratos nerf did nothing, Drakes did absolutely nothing, Raidens was a good start.

- FIxing the character change glitch. While this has been mostly addressed it took what... 4 patches for them to fix it? besides it still does happen occassionaly.

- added glitches with patches. They broke the party system with I think 1.02 patch. In this recent patch I often freeze at the screen prior to the round starting.

- The parappa glitch... they just added a MASSIVE patch, didn't affect the game one bit, and was made aware of the parappa glitch. nah no big deal, game breaking glitch? Leave it be.

- Broke their "ranked" game system, that nobody cares about or plays anymore. Quitters get punished now, but you don't get compensated worth a damn.

- Pretty severe lag issues

It became an inside joke with my friends who would come over to play on the weekends. Well new patch, what will be broken this time? We have a bunch of videos of glitches on my buddies Iphone. It's really laughable how they've handled the whole thing.

edit-

I was trying to meet you halfway about the Kat and OP characters stuff earlier, but this makes it clear to me that you've got no idea what you're talking about and are just trolling. You're barking up the wrong tree if you honestly believe Mink "doesn't know much" about the game. Wow.

That's funny coming from the same person who just said Sackboy is fine. Plenty of people use sackboy online and are damn good with him. He's an upper tier character I think most people who play the game would agree with that.

edit- not a troll at all btw, thought it was a ridiculous claim from him as I've been posting in here since the beginning. On the first go around pretty sure I finished top 15 on the leaderboards, which not saying I'm "great" since it's more about playing time than anything. Just saying I've followed the game a lot, love the core concept, absolutely HATE how they've handled it.

edit edit- oh yeah guess I was wrong above though, they did fix the issue of the top 3 being the most powerful in the game.... by adding an even more powerful character.

TheMink

I apologize, im frustrated about something else. I took it out on you :p

I know you just want the game to be balanced.

Dont browse gaf while irritated haha.
Anyway carry on.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Anyway carry on.

I don't mean to get frustrated, saw that comment you made as an attack on me, so I just came back with my side of it.

That's funny coming from the same person who just said Sackboy is fine. Plenty of people use sackboy online and are damn good with him. He's an upper tier character I think most people who play the game would agree with that.

We both know that's not what I said at all and I even admitted (a) that my kneejerk reaction to ban-happy fighting game communities was incorrect where pre-nerf Sackboy was concerned and (b) that none of what I said was based on my own skill at the game because I'm not that good. But we both know it's almost impossible to have reasonable, mature debates on the Internet, so let's just leave it at that and drop it. No point in continuing down this road anyway.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
We both know that's not what I said at all and I even admitted (a) that my kneejerk reaction to ban-happy fighting game communities was incorrect where pre-nerf Sackboy was concerned and (b) that none of what I said was based on my own skill at the game because I'm not that good. But we both know it's almost impossible to have reasonable, mature debates on the Internet, so let's just leave it at that and drop it. No point in continuing down this road anyway.

My bad, my bad thought I quoted you on the sackboy thing, but was TMaakk. Point is in the right hands sackboy is NOT underpowerd, is in fact an uppertier character still.

Ryce

Going back and reading interviews with Omar and Seth expressing their joyous optimism regarding DLC breaks my heart. :(

A.E Suggs

With Isaac & Zeus we'll now have twenty-four characters (that's 72 supers!). What else can we expect?

Extremely Safe Bets:
+Additional costumes
+Additional minions

50/50 Assumptions
+Another pair of characters
+Another stage

If they can just give me stages and costumes I'll honestly be just fine with the game.

Camjo-Z

They seriously need to take out most of these hit confirms. Someone like Sweet Tooth who has that one jumping neutral square confirm is okay, because it's easy to see coming and you can avoid it if you're good. But guys like Kat and Raiden are just obnoxious to fight because of the sheer amount of ways they can kill you, and guys like the Coles are irritating since they can spam their hit confirms with little fear of being punished.

Spike is probably the best example of how HC's should be dealt with. He's got at least 4, but none of them are ridiculously easy to pull off and you can punish him when he misses.

TheMink

They seriously need to take out most of these hit confirms. Someone like Sweet Tooth who has that one jumping neutral square confirm is okay, because it's easy to see coming and you can avoid it if you're good. But guys like Kat and Raiden are just obnoxious to fight because of the sheer amount of ways they can kill you, and guys like the Coles are irritating since they can spam their hit confirms with little fear of being punished.

Spike is probably the best example of how HC's should be dealt with. He's got at least 4, but none of them are ridiculously easy to pull off and you can punish him when he misses.

I would say that the coles have my least favorite hit confirms. With the other ones its always like "yeah i could have avoided that" but with the coles im always like "well crap..." Haha

Edit: The speed is what im refering to. Raidens are slow and Kat has telltale signs. Just gotta make sure that ECole hand isnt charged :p

J-Tier

I'm gonna be cynical. I think SSM is just shoving out stuff that had been previously prepared by Superbot. I.e. Clockwork was only aware of the Parappa glitch post split. Chances of the glitch being part of any package currently is nonexistent.

OmegaZero

Because he's a pretty damn good close range character actually. Using his shockpad while ranging draws people in, and it's the perfect way to start a combo.

Yeah, that shockpad is his most valuable tool imo.

I would say that the coles have my least favorite hit confirms. With the other ones its always like "yeah i could have avoided that" but with the coles im always like "well crap..." Haha

Which confirms would you two say are the most difficult to punish?

TheMink

Yeah, that shockpad is his most valuable tool imo.

Which confirms would you two say are the most difficult to punish?

Punishing isnt my problem. Just based on reaction is what im talking about. If im in the middle of something i can deal with Raiden np because its pretty slow compared to a quick fire punch.

In a 1v1 scenario all hit confirms are clear to me. Just when im stuck in the combat ball when it becomes a problem.

Totally. Sorry :3

I don't mean to get frustrated, saw that comment you made as an attack on me, so I just came back with my side of it.

Anyway carry on.

Can't we all just love each other? lol

Wow, this is beautiful. *tear drop*

Sponge

Banned

Absolutely heartbreaking :(

Sucks knowing we got so close to getting Abe, would have totally mained him. I'll try and stay optimistic and hope Santa Monica will help continue the game.

OmegaZero

Punishing isnt my problem. Just based on reaction is what im talking about. If im in the middle of something i can deal with Raiden np because its pretty slow compared to a quick fire punch.

In a 1v1 scenario all hit confirms are clear to me. Just when im stuck in the combat ball when it becomes a problem.

Ah, so it's mainly the speed at which the attacks come out in comparison to other confirms, making it hard to react to them when you're in a brawl.
As a Dante/Cole/Heihachi main, I can't really say I've had that problem as I try to isolate opponents before I focus on them. When things get tangled up, I try to stay on the edges and coax someone into going after me.

TheMink

Ah, so it's mainly the speed at which the attacks come out in comparison to other confirms, making it hard to react to them when you're in a brawl.
As a Dante/Cole/Heihachi main, I can't really say I've had that problem as I try to isolate opponents before I focus on them. When things get tangled up, I try to stay on the edges and coax someone into going after me.

Indeed, i too main Dante, but i always trust ability to counter in clutch situations so speed becomes an issue. If i cant see it i cant counter it lol :p

Edit: ive recently been playing a lot of cpus because i havent had my ps3 alot (in the process of moving) and they dont freaking fight 1v1 ever in a ffa situation XD all of em come toward me like a stampede if i isolate myself. I always put it em on the hardest difficulty which ive concluded is not really the closest difficulty to an actual human. In a raiden or a sly its like ok ive got a perfect opportunity doh wait perfectly timed counter into a super.
And sly just never stops telleporting haha.
I always win, but i have to resort to exploiting the cpu instead of playing like i would and thats counter productive :p

OmegaZero

Indeed, i too main Dante, but i always trust ability to counter in clutch situations so speed becomes an issue. If i cant see it i cant counter it lol :p

Edit: ive recently been playing a lot of cpus because i havent had my ps3 alot (in the process of moving) and they dont freaking fight 1v1 ever in a ffa situation XD all of em come toward me like a stampede if i isolate myself. I always put it em on the hardest difficulty which ive concluded is not really the closest difficulty to an actual human. In a raiden or a sly its like ok ive got a perfect opportunity doh wait perfectly timed counter into a super.
And sly just never stops telleporting haha.
I always win, but i have to resort to exploiting the cpu instead of playing like i would and thats counter productive :p

Yeah, I've discovered that the highest CPU levels do not really help you get better in an actual vs situation against human players. Just like Smash Bros.

It's interesting that you mention the counter. It's one of the few moves I rarely use unless I'm against a melee character like Kratos or Raiden (or Dante) that uses predicable patterns of play (e.g. always mashing out the square combos right next to me). I feel that it leaves me too open during a Brawl (especially to super attacks) and even if I successfully predict a move and counter it, it will make me and my opponent vulnerable to an opportunistic player.
Maybe if it comboed into a Level 1 like Raiden, I'd use it more. :b

TheMink

Yeah, I've discovered that the highest CPU levels do not really help you get better in an actual vs situation against human players. Just like Smash Bros.

It's interesting that you mention the counter. It's one of the few moves I rarely use unless I'm against a melee character like Kratos or Raiden (or Dante) that uses predicable patterns of play (e.g. always mashing out the square combos right next to me). I feel that it leaves me too open during a Brawl (especially to super attacks) and even if I successfully predict a move and counter it, it will make me and my opponent vulnerable to an opportunistic player.
Maybe if it comboed into a Level 1 like Raiden, I'd use it more. :b

Its definitely true. But i feel like more often then not it brings good things for me :p

I actually do think of the dante counter as a hit confirm because i can always get into an empty cancel or a hunger sythe from the counter. While not a hit confirm in itself (not counting the lvl 2)

In 2v2 the counter is gold especially if both characters are advancing in a unit. I counter one guy but my reposte picks up both which can lead me into a double KO hit confirm. Not to shabby imo.

SSReborn

Read my post above to see why it's not just a grab. Prior to the nerf when Raiden was mega god tier as well, his throw that crumpled made him broken the same way Kat is right now. Hit confirms are fine because you should have to work for them. Sweet Tooths is stupidly easy to dodge... on top of this his LVL 2 is GARBAGE, so what other options does he have? Kat has a million different options and paths she can take, where most characters have to try to find their way in to use their strengths. It's unbalanced when a character is given every strength in the game- combos, confirms, great supers, ridiculously mobile and elusive, fast AP gain, etc.

Just seen this. I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. My friend what he does in specific is he summons the 3 projectiles around Kat, then he does his throw with right stick then I believe he throws an item at me before I can recover and hit confirms into his level 1 that way; or at least I think that's how it works. Is that the same thing you were talking about?

But I don't wanna see it all chopped up. :/

I know I wanted to see the full thing too.

TheMink

For teh funz of it i wanted to explain the AP burst system for those new to the game. And perhaps for those that never really realized this is how it works.

Ok so once 100 AP is hit in a combo the enemy is bursted out of a combo. The act of reaching the burst gives you 30 AP as a bonus for doing so.

20+20+20+20+20=100+burst=130 AP

Ok great, simple enough right?

But what about people getting 155 AP combos?

155 is just about max for most characters and this is how it works.

20+20+20+20=80 so you only need 20 more AP to burst. Thats true in a sense, but its far more effecient to get to the highest possible number before bursting. Which for simplicities sake lets say that number is 95.

Instead of going for all huge hits (which also happens to be the easiest combos) try and go for a few smaller hits in there to bring up the total number before bursting.

20+20+5+5+20+5+20=95 now at this point in your combo will burst in 5 more AP. But if you were to finish your combo with a 5 AP hit that would be a tremendous waste because that will just make you hit 130 again.
When you are at the 95 point in your combo you want to hit with the hardest single motion attack in your arsenal if possible. 30AP is the heaviest single attack i believe (zeus will probably change that).

95+30=125+burst=155 AP

Exceptions to the Rule:

Grabs and Dantes Guns.

Grabs do not contribute to the burst in any way. So if you can combo out of your grab (im looking at you kat) you can potentially gain 215 AP from a single combo (assuming they are at a full lvl 3 and you get 155 AP in your combo)

Dantes Guns also do not contribute to the burst in any way and cannot cause a burst. Therefore they act as free AP.

So a regular combo no guns might look like this:

20+5+5+10+20+5+5+20+30=120+burst=150

But heres what the same looks like with guns (in parenthesis) at maxpotential:

20+(10)+5+5+10+(20)+20+5+5+20+(10)+30=160+burst=190

Not even the best combo Dante can do.

Hope this was helpful! :3

Step

You should add that to the OP.

Simple and clean explanation.

I'm wondering about the full charge from Zeus if the after shock will count to the AP as a normal combo or will work like Dante's guns.

TheMink

You should add that to the OP.

Simple and clean explanation.

I'm wondering about the full charge from Zeus if the after shock will count to the AP as a normal combo or will work like Dante's guns.

Cool! Im glad it makes sense :)

I think i will, i need tk change a lot of stuff in the OP actually haha XD

Thats an interesting notion. I wonder... Im inclined to think it will be like Dantes guns but in the reveal trailer Zeus bursts in like 4 hits (the lowest amount of hits ive seen i think) making me believe the added shock does contribute to the burst but we will see.

Speaking of the OP, the new DLC needs to be added!

Yeah, when we get official pics of the new characters and the stage Plainr can work his magic :)

Also i need to add all the avatara you have done too. I will try and fully update the OP tomorrow.

Top Bottom