• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I'm online if anybody wants to team up for a short 2 v 2 sesh!

jsnake22

Edit: It's just hard to combat Kratos with Kat. Every time I try to get close I get frickin chain bladed
Just switched to Kratos out of pure malice and now I'm killing everyone haha

Yea, I don't think SSM is doing anything right now.

They are pretty frantic ATM they are getting ~200 guys next week I believe, to gear up on their secret project. And a lot of people are on break (after Ascension).

Speaking of which, I might be getting ascension in a couple days :D

Yea, I don't think SSM is doing anything right now.

They are pretty frantic ATM they are getting ~200 guys next week I believe, to gear up on their secret project. And a lot of people are on break (after Ascension).

Speaking of which, I might be getting ascension in a couple days :D

The code for Zeus and Isaac does make it even more appealing...NO! Darn you Bear! I must be patient. I'm trying to show some restraint until Injustice Gods Among Us comes out.

Also you guys ever see this on the PSAS facebook? I chuckled
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...62945.49872.194537050629998&type=1&permPage=1

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't read the cast but if it's "all" the costumes..does that mean no more dlc, :'( ? Was it described as a complete or ultimate pack?

At least they can focus on balancing that we heard about...kat was mentioned. Surely they can spare 1 of 200 to read a list and tweak the database numbers with their iphone :p

My bad, my bad thought I quoted you on the sackboy thing, but was TMaakk. Point is in the right hands sackboy is NOT underpowerd, is in fact an uppertier character still.

It's that damn electricity platform drop of his when I'm against a wall, always gets me as Heihachi :p

Also, thanks a lot for this:

For teh funz of it i wanted to explain the AP burst system for those new to the game. And perhaps for those that never really realized this is how it works.

Ok so once 100 AP is hit in a combo the enemy is bursted out of a combo. The act of reaching the burst gives you 30 AP as a bonus for doing so.

20+20+20+20+20=100+burst=130 AP

Ok great, simple enough right?

But what about people getting 155 AP combos?

155 is just about max for most characters and this is how it works.

20+20+20+20=80 so you only need 20 more AP to burst. Thats true in a sense, but its far more effecient to get to the highest possible number before bursting. Which for simplicities sake lets say that number is 95.

Instead of going for all huge hits (which also happens to be the easiest combos) try and go for a few smaller hits in there to bring up the total number before bursting.

20+20+5+5+20+5+20=95 now at this point in your combo will burst in 5 more AP. But if you were to finish your combo with a 5 AP hit that would be a tremendous waste because that will just make you hit 130 again.
When you are at the 95 point in your combo you want to hit with the hardest single motion attack in your arsenal if possible. 30AP is the heaviest single attack i believe (zeus will probably change that).

95+30=125+burst=155 AP

Exceptions to the Rule:

Grabs and Dantes Guns.

Grabs do not contribute to the burst in any way. So if you can combo out of your grab (im looking at you kat) you can potentially gain 215 AP from a single combo (assuming they are at a full lvl 3 and you get 155 AP in your combo)

Dantes Guns also do not contribute to the burst in any way and cannot cause a burst. Therefore they act as free AP.

So a regular combo no guns might look like this:

20+5+5+10+20+5+5+20+30=120+burst=150

But heres what the same looks like with guns (in parenthesis) at maxpotential:

20+(10)+5+5+10+(20)+20+5+5+20+(10)+30=160+burst=190

Not even the best combo Dante can do.

Hope this was helpful! :3

TheMink

I didn't read the cast but if it's "all" the costumes..does that mean no more dlc, :'( ? Was it described as a complete or ultimate pack?

At least they can focus on balancing that we heard about...kat was mentioned. Surely they can spare 1 of 200 to read a list and tweak the database numbers with their iphone :p

It's that damn electricity platform drop of his when I'm against a wall, always gets me as Heihachi :p

Also, thanks a lot for this:

Your welcome! I'm glad you like it :)

OP has been updated with more recent info, and that explanation.

Hey Ryce could you get all of your minion avatars you made all together in one post? ill add them to the OP stat.

And Plainr if you're not to busy could you do another stage and the new characters for the OP?

Anyone know where I can get a wallpaper-type pic of the ENTIRE PSABR cast renders, inc. DLC characters? Google stuff is coming up useless, either its just the original cast or it's a fake one where someone has added Skylanders Spyro or Shadow the fuckin' Hedgehog or whatever. We all need a full-roster pic to geek over.

(edit) found a cool one on DA, credit due to the artist. http://pacduck.deviantart.com/art/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale-324594882

Anyone know where I can get a wallpaper-type pic of the ENTIRE PSABR cast renders, inc. DLC characters? Google stuff is coming up useless, either its just the original cast or it's a fake one where someone has added Skylanders Spyro or Shadow the fuckin' Hedgehog or whatever. We all need a full-roster pic to geek over.

(edit) found a cool one on DA, credit due to the artist. http://pacduck.deviantart.com/art/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale-324594882

Well, let's hope this isn't the "full" roster. ;) It's increasingly looking like it is, but I'm still hoping there are more characters to come.

Well, let's hope this isn't the "full" roster. ;) It's increasingly looking like it is, but I'm still hoping there are more characters to come.

Yeah, I'm betting on two more, that artist seems keen on updating as it goes on though.

Some of these Google mockups fascinate me. The amount of people who actually wanted Gex, Croc and frickin' Ty the Tasmanian Tiger are unbelievable. At least we know the roster could've been a lot worse...

Ryce

Hey Ryce could you get all of your minion avatars you made all together in one post? ill add them to the OP stat.
3bHF5Ux.png
m3R2Szv.png
ZQMQ0TF.png
T15uqg9.png
fafuU1m.png
DA5AZqr.png
vX55ebD.png
kM00w07.png
cSqzSYo.png
nFHUESk.png
ggOK00c.png
CAgK9RB.png
VZ8HOGq.png
PfEx4Tw.png
PlF2KjJ.png
3PMnMMy.png
ivps0Al.png
RpqiNll.png

Camjo-Z

Scumbag disconnecters, really tempting to send them hate mail.

I've never seen a game with so many butthurt ragequitters. For some reason almost everyone in unranked 2v2 plays stock exclusively, and rarely do I get a match without at least one idiot who loses all his stock within a minute and instantly ragequits, ruining the match for the other players. I could understand if they'd been watching us go at it for 10 minutes and just want to move onto another match but that's never the case, they just get mad when they lose and run.

What they need to do is replace the "Quit" option with "Forfeit". In FFA and unranked 2v2 this would make the forfeiting player simply disappear from the match, and in ranked 2v2 this would give the opposing team the win. If you forfeit and happened to be the host, then at least show the results screen for everyone else.

Pipo Ape, Quark, Buzz and the Professor are my favorite minions if anybody wants to gift me Specter my PSN is jsnake22 haha

I've just got a feeling in my gut that after SSM pushes out all the stuff SB had done they'll have something of their own to contribute that's going to be awesome

Camjo-Z

Can't we just have feelings without our guts being questioned?!
Out of curiosity, who would people even really really want for DLC? I haven't been hearing too much of a general consensus

Aside from double dips and the obvious ones like Crash, Cloud, and Wander that we're not getting, here are who I've found to be the most requested DLC characters (listed in no particular order):

-Robbit (Jumping Flash!)
-Dart (The Legend of Dragoon)
-Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter)
-Tomba (Tomba!)
-Abe (Oddworld)
-Chimera (Resistance)
-Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain)
-Journey Dude (Journey)

Other characters I think would make for interesting movesets/playstyles:

Quico and Monster (Papo & Yo)
Pomeranian (Tokyo Jungle)
Joel & Ellie (The Last of Us)
Iota (Tearaway)
Kutaro (Puppeteer)

As for stages, I haven't really seen any requested ones, but it would be cool if they keep doing stuff like Fearless and Graveyard, where the mashups are from games that can't really be represented by a character. Stuff like Echochrome, Sound Shapes, or Siren would be cool to see in a stage.

Ryce

^ All solid picks.

So who is left to receive a new alternate costume?
The first pack contains eight costumes, and since there are 24 characters total, I see there being two more packs of eight -- one releasing March 5 and the other March 26 (so it can include Isaac and Zeus).

Sweet Tooth
Radec
Cole
Ratchet
Jak
Spike
Evil Cole
Toro
Big Daddy
Dante
Heihachi
Nariko
Raiden
Sir Daniel
Isaac
Zeus

Camjo-Z

The guys over at gfaqs have decided to start tweeting activision about crash and spyro

Think it'll work?

Of course not, the problem isn't that Activision isn't aware that people want Crash and Spyro, it's that they don't want to let Sony use them. I have no idea why not, I would think that they'd make plenty of cash seeing as they're THE most requested characters.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd add Lara Croft and Knack as well to the list of wants Camjo-Z posted for new dlc. Seems reasonable..

I've never seen a game with so many butthurt ragequitters. For some reason almost everyone in unranked 2v2 plays stock exclusively, and rarely do I get a match without at least one idiot who loses all his stock within a minute and instantly ragequits, ruining the match for the other players. I could understand if they'd been watching us go at it for 10 minutes and just want to move onto another match but that's never the case, they just get mad when they lose and run.

What they need to do is replace the "Quit" option with "Forfeit". In FFA and unranked 2v2 this would make the forfeiting player simply disappear from the match, and in ranked 2v2 this would give the opposing team the win. If you forfeit and happened to be the host, then at least show the results screen for everyone else.

Yeah I'd like that..there are a lot of subtle improvements that could make the game overall much more enjoyable. Problem is people will still pull the plug in ranked so they don't take the loss..sometimes even in 2v2 (titles?). Someone a while back mentioned banning them from that character for a certain time period..if they can guarantee it was a typical plug pulled scenario I would prefer a stronger deterrent like that.

OwlyKnees

Iota (Tearaway)

I like the sound of these!

Also, I've been repping Lammy from UmJammer Lammy hard through the character icons, but I'd love to see her as a character. Guitar-based attacks ahoy!

Zen

Banned
Of course not, the problem isn't that Activision isn't aware that people want Crash and Spyro, it's that they don't want to let Sony use them. I have no idea why not, I would think that they'd make plenty of cash seeing as they're THE most requested characters.

Yeah, charging 5.99 for each of them? Why not? Hell make us pay out the ass at 9.99 Activision, and a good chunk of people would still buy them. It's not like they'd have to do the lions share of the work anyway.

J-Tier

They probably see it as a way to keep Skylanders going. You'll be surprised by how many people have been requesting for Crash to appear in that (a lot). They're going to only look out for themselves basically, and being the success it has been... they don't really care about the measly bucks they'd make off of a rep for PSASBR.

As for highly requested characters, Ellen from Folklore was another I've observed popping up often in various communities.

Something definitely has to be done about it, because right now the amount of ragequitting and quitting before the match even starts is so high that it went from mildly amusing to a major pain in the ass. Occasionally the game does award you a win in 2v2 if the other team quits (both before the match or during it), but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when that happens. The same lack of logic applies to getting punished in FFA when others quit. Sometimes the game subtracts the number of points that i'd lose if i placed last, even though the match hasn't even started yet, other times i get several quits in a row without any penalties.

Can't we just have feelings without our guts being questioned?!
Out of curiosity, who would people even really really want for DLC? I haven't been hearing too much of a general consensus

Aside from double dips and the obvious ones like Crash, Cloud, and Wander that we're not getting, here are who I've found to be the most requested DLC characters (listed in no particular order):

-Robbit (Jumping Flash!)
-Dart (The Legend of Dragoon)
-Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter)
-Tomba (Tomba!)
-Abe (Oddworld)
-Chimera (Resistance)
-Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain)
-Journey Dude (Journey)

Quico and Monster (Papo & Yo)
Iota (Tearaway)
Kutaro (Puppeteer)

As for stages, I haven't really seen any requested ones, but it would be cool if they keep doing stuff like Fearless and Graveyard, where the mashups are from games that can't really be represented by a character. Stuff like Echochrome, Sound Shapes, or Siren would be cool to see in a stage.

Lightning. LIGHTNING. :( There are other characters I'd like too, of course, but they fall squarely in the "impossible/never gonna happen" category (Sora, Mega Man X, and Cloud, for instance). But Lightning seems (well, seemed...) like she's firmly in the realm of possibility, since Square loves her to death and because she's associated with the PS3 more than anything. More than Big Daddy, Isaac, and Dante, that's for sure.

Lammy, too! She'd be an awesome addition IMO, and also seems like she'd be possible to get.

As for further DLC stages, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'd love stages that incorporated Sound Shapes and/or Dyad, but Sound Shapes especially.

Guys, I am very disappointed with lack of wanting Patapon characters. Let me fix that. Id also like to mention that Disgaea characters would make for good 3rd party characters. Unlike them 4.... (heihachi gets pass for now)

Guys, I am very disappointed with lack of wanting Patapon characters. Let me fix that. Id also like to mention that Disgaea characters would make for good 3rd party characters. Unlike them 4.... (heihachi gets pass for now)

Yeah, I thought about adding Heihachi to my list of third-party characters that are less associated with PlayStation than Lightning, but then I thought about it and... I don't know, for some reason he strikes me as somewhat Sony-associated for some reason. Maybe because he's a thoroughly Japanese character, and PlayStation is a thoroughly Japanese brand. Same reason Raiden feels like he belongs (not to mention MGS is primarily a PlayStation-associated series). Big Daddy, Isaac, and Dante, on the other hand, are all thoroughly Western characters.

Skyzard

Banned

It would make for some fantastic gameplay when you control not one but a group of characters..sort of like a liquid. Would be hard to make of course, and one guy wouldn't be enough :p

Yeah, I thought about adding Heihachi to my list of third-party characters that are less associated with PlayStation than Lightning, but then I thought about it and... I don't know, for some reason he strikes me as somewhat Sony-associated for some reason. Maybe because he's a thoroughly Japanese character, and PlayStation is a thoroughly Japanese brand. Same reason Raiden feels like he belongs (not to mention MGS is primarily a PlayStation-associated series). Big Daddy, Isaac, and Dante, on the other hand, are all thoroughly Western characters.

Im not giving Raiden pass because of certain specie called: Serpentes.
Thou they can fix that if they continue DLCs.

Oh, and for Patapon character id prefer summoning little AIs to help you. They could add A LOT of chip damage but they also would be risk if enemies hit them for AP. So maybe Patapons would be high risk high reward character?

J-Tier

Oh, and for Patapon character id prefer summoning little AIs to help you. They could add A LOT of chip damage but they also would be risk if enemies hit them for AP. So maybe Patapons would be high risk high reward character?

Haha. Well, Kojima would never allow Snake to show up, would show disloyalty to Sakurai.

Very dishonorable.

Eh. To be honest, while I love Snake as a character, I think Raiden's a lot more fun to play in All-Stars than Snake ever was in Brawl. He fits better into a fighting game.

Haha. Well, Kojima would never allow Snake to show up, would show disloyalty to Sakurai.

Very dishonorable.

Bubububububut DreamMix TV World Fighters?(And who craes if it came earlier l:p)

Also i want Snake because maybe then it would make (some) haters like this game more. Nostalgia cheapness is our only hope. :/

Heihachi is soo much more ps related....tekken was ps exclusive from 1-5. Lightning is as much ps related as a COD soldier, IMO

J-Tier

Also i want Snake because maybe then it would make (some) haters like this game more. Nostalgia cheapness is our only hope. :/

The difference is they're competitors. If people and companies weren't so touchy, Lambert (Kevin Butler) wouldn't have been sued along with Bridgestone tires.

I crae. I crae very much.

Snake would make for a boring character in this game (oh joy; more nondescript guns!), and I've been pining for Raiden in a fighting game since 2008. If he weren't so overpowered, I'd be maining him so hard.

Aceun

I would love to see a Uberhero that incorporated all the different weapons. Square could be tatepon attacks. Triangle could be the mid ranged yaripon attacks and Circle could be the Ranged yumipon attacks.

The supers could have some of the more unique patapons come out like the dekapon or megapon. And level 3 could ofcourse be fever.

A nice touch would be to have the Hatapon in the background (or they could just make him a minion)

[INSERT SQUARE RANT that pretty much culminates in "we're never going to see a square character because those !@#$ can't get their act together, i mean seriously... showing up at a PS4 conference begging us to be excited for e3? What are you doing?!?!! F U Square."]

Camjo-Z

I'd add Lara Croft and Knack as well to the list of wants Camjo-Z posted for new dlc. Seems reasonable..

I actually had both of them on my list, but deleted them since I figured that since Lara was already turned down once they probably wouldn't ask for her again, and by the time Knack comes out they'll probably either be done with PSAS or putting him in a sequel.

I've been repping Lammy from UmJammer Lammy hard through the character icons, but I'd love to see her as a character. Guitar-based attacks ahoy!

Oh yes, Lammy would be awesome. I can just imagine all the stuff they could do with her - an intro with her getting faxed into the battle, a moveset that utilizes both her guitar and the random stuff she uses as a guitar like a vacuum and fire hose... unfortunately I think if they were to double dip with another franchise it would be a more popular one like Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper. At least she's in PaRappa's Level 3!

Ellen from Folklore was another I've observed popping up often in various communities.

Yeah, I've heard her requested a lot, probably should have included her. To me though, it feels like she's neither old enough to be considered "classic", new enough to be used as advertising, or relevant enough to make money as DLC. The same goes for other characters I've seen requested like Jeanne d'Arc and *shudder* Jennifer Tate.

Lightning. LIGHTNING. :(

I have her subconciously listed in the "never going to happen" section. If Square gives any FF rep and it's not Cloud... people are going to be pretty pissed off. It's like if Dante wasn't on-disc and Capcom had offered New Dante as DLC rather than Old Dante.

I didn't list Patapon since they're already repped by a stage, although I could see the Uberhero leading a squad of Patapon in battle. I think Disgaea is a little too niche for them to consider as DLC though.

Ryce

I'm not directing this at you, Scrafty, but I hate the "too many gun characters!" argument. There are only so many different ways to fight. If a character isn't using firearms, he's using his hands and feet; if he isn't using his hands and feet, he's using a sword/melee weapon; if he isn't using a sword/melee weapon, he's using magic/elemental powers. PaRappa and Heihachi are both melee characters, but they play nothing alike. Similarly, Emmett and Isaac are gun characters, but they play nothing alike either. There's more to it than aesthetics, which unfortunately a lot of people aren't willing to look past.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My personal choices for DLC characters:

Top 4:

1) Alundra (Alundra)
2) Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter)
3) Rau Utu (The Mark of Kri)
4) Monica (Dark Cloud 2)

Next 4:

1) Abe (Oddworld)
2) Ari and Stan (Okage: The Shadow King)
3) Jen Tate (Primal)
4) Lazarus Jones (Ghosthunter)

Last 4:

1) Ellen (Folklore)
2) Tigershark (Invizimals)
3) Jeanne d'Arc (Jeanne d'Arc)
4) Uber Nathan Hale (Resistance 2)

I think all of the above could bring some really interesting combat to the game, especially characters like Lazarus, Abe, and Ari and Stan. Looking at what Superbot did with unconventional fighters like Sackboy, and Fat Princess, I think they'd have done a killer job on those guys.

J-Tier

I'm not directing this at you, Scrafty, but I hate the "too many gun characters!" argument. There are only so many different ways to fight. If a character isn't using firearms, he's using his hands and feet; if he isn't using his hands and feet, he's using a sword/melee weapon; if he isn't using a sword/melee weapon, he's using magic/elemental powers. PaRappa and Heihachi are both melee characters, but they play nothing alike. Similarly, Emmett and Isaac are gun characters, but they play nothing alike either. There's more to it than aesthetics, which unfortunately a lot of people aren't willing to look past.

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Tekken and Street Fighter characters are full of characters who only use their hands and feet.

>=O

Top Bottom