• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Island announced for iOS / Android / Coke Zero [Free / Summer]

javac

The idea of "Nintendo Land Fanta" makes me lol intensely.

jul0c4e.gif

Orange Zone! Radical!

Hexagonal

Banned
13 pages yet no one remembers there was a PlayStation
Despite being released in other platforms, PS1 is the best version of it
game 16 years ago which had a ton of product placement in-game from a famous energy drink, even before that drink came in the United States. It even tried to convince you in the loading screens that it would "improve your reaction times".

2327852-medium.png

That game was WipEout 2097/XL, and it came to be one of the best futurist racers ever made, if not the best (personally).

And don't forget that Gran Turismo 5 had that ∞+1 car (-1 if you had to drive it) called Red Bull X2010. However, it was just a partnership between Polyphony and Red Bull Racing, and I don't consider it as "product placement" as WO2097 and that PSAS Island Coke Zero Gaming-Boost game.

Although I find the reaction to the Coke 0 game funny, it's interesting to see no one mentioned Psygnosis/Sony already did it in the past.

SmokyDave

This is a rare sight, SmokeyDave being all defensive.
Sufficiently dense quantities of idiocy can slice through my jovial demeanour like a hot knife through a sheep's eye.

i guess Sony beat Nintendo on going IOS with their games. Sony wins.
Microsoft beat both by about a year.

Edit: actually, Kinectimals is 18 months old and I don't think that was their first iOS release. Suffice to say, MS did it first and good on 'em.

Elija2

I don't understand. Is this an advertisement for Coke Zero or PlayStation? Why does this partnership exist?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's a corporate cross-promotion using bastardized versions of the characters and rip-off gameplay with an unsuccessful branding. Not only that, it further reinforces gaming's association with unhealthy products, which I don't like for different reasons.

You can say it's good advertising, but I honestly expect that the vast majority of people who download it will be already aware of the franchises/Play Station brand in general and I'm not exactly sure this is going to sell anyone on the full versions of the character's games.

Honestly, how many people would play a free app like this, who didn't have an interest in a PS3/4/V or the games before and suddenly become interested in one based on a free Temple Run (from what I can tell) rip-off with a constantly-on screen Coke bottle? How is this not cheapening the brands?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's a corporate cross-promotion using bastardized versions of the characters and rip-off gameplay with an unsuccessful branding. Not only that, it further reinforces gaming's association with unhealthy products, which I don't like for different reasons.

You can say it's good advertising, but I honestly expect that the vast majority of people who download it will be already aware of the franchises/Play Station brand in general and I'm not exactly sure this is going to sell anyone on the full versions of the character's games.

Honestly, how many people would play a free app like this, who didn't have an interest in a PS3/4/V or the games before and suddenly become interested in one based on a free Temple Run (from what I can tell) rip-off with a constantly-on screen Coke bottle? How is this not cheapening the brands?

While I'm sure most people have heard of Uncharted, the overwhelming majority of people who check this app out have -never- heard of Gravity Rush.

I think this was a good idea in theory its just the fact that the execution is so poor. This needed to either come out last year or it needed to be focused on IP that are coming some point in the near future like the PS4 launch.

PaulloDEC

Whatevs. No amount of video games are going to convince me to drink more Coke Zero, so I'm pretty indifferent to this.

Also, Kat. If the only thing this promo achieves is to raise awareness of Gravity Rush, I'm saying totally worth it.

While I'm sure most people have heard of Uncharted, the overwhelming majority of people who check this app out have -never- heard of Gravity Rush.

I think this was a good idea in theory its just the fact that the execution is so poor. This needed to either come out last year or it needed to be focused on IP that are coming some point in the near future like the PS4 launch.

I don't know. To me it just seems more like trying to sell Coke Zero to Play Station fans than it is trying to sell Play Station characters to Coke Zero fans.

tried it. its ok, loadings are kinda long for an ios app but it looks good. Its really designed as coca zero ad. Even the titles of the games are in red to coincide with the coke zero font. i could only play one game wich is the uncharted one and its basically a temple run clone

noobasuar

Banned
Not suprising seeing Sony whore out thier franchises.

Didn't all-stars pretty much advertise bioshock infinite and DmC before those games came out? Stuff like that annoys me.

ocd

Banned
This is a great moneymaking move by Sony. Angry Birds has proven that the mobile market has a great, untapped moneymaking potential. In-app micro-transactions will also increase revenue from the children lured in by the Sony software. Marketing genius!

Dawg

Was hoping for a somewhat decent iOS game but I hate the controls already. I prefer Temple Run controls where you can swipe your way around. I really dislike motion controls on my ipad, especially if they force it and don't have an optional controls scheme.

tolkir

This is a great moneymaking move by Sony. Angry Birds has proven that the mobile market has a great, untapped moneymaking potential. In-app micro-transactions will also increase revenue from the children lured in by the Sony software. Marketing genius!

This. Sony must forget videogames dedicated systems and to hug mobile markets.

lol

StevieP

Banned
yes, and it's incredibly smart marketing. "hey, like these characters? live their full epic adventures on PlayStation 4, retailing for 399$."

Thank you for paying $0 for our skinned coke temple run. Now can you please pay over $500 and play something completely different and more daunting but with the same characters? Kthxbye

yes, and it's incredibly smart marketing. "hey, like these characters? live their full epic adventures on PlayStation 4, retailing for 399$."
Should have clarified; a lot of investors want Nintendo to go full time iOS.

And I don't agree with your point either, but I'm not going to get into that.

EDIT:

Thank you for paying $0 for our skinned coke temple run. Now can you please pay over $500 and play something completely different and more daunting but with the same characters? Kthxbye

Pretty much this.

Well, if you include the Vita (Kat), it's really asking for more than $500, no? :p

Otherwise, pretty much this.

Top Bottom