• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China press conference on July 29 2015 - PS4 future, Games & Morpheus

4Tran

It means that the Chinese are buying the localised versions of game more when compared to the English and Japanese release that can be imported/bought as well.

So it's saying that the localisation strategy is working because before gamers only had the English or Japanese version to import, but now that there is a translated Chinese version they are seeing strong sales from that version compared to others.

Sorry, it's not explained well is it.

As example, there is Dynasty Warriors 8 released in Hong Kong. You can buy English version, Japanese version or Chinese version. What this is saying is that since more Chinese versions are being released the Chinese version SKU is selling considerably more than other version. It used to be other way around before Sony stepped up localisation.
While not stated, I think it also suggests that it's important to have a Simplified Chinese localization for the mainland market as opposed to the Traditional Chinese used in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

ZhugeEX

Banned
While not stated, I think it also suggests that it's important to have a Simplified Chinese localization for the mainland market as opposed to the Traditional Chinese used in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

100% agree.

Also due to the fact that China govt won't let traditional Chinese version to be sold officially. It has to be simplified Chinese.

But ofc Taiwan will prefer traditional.

Except the nose

Ah the good memories of that particular thread, especially Chris Metal's GIFs xP

OT: I'm glad to hear that the Chinese versions are selling well and are worth doing the translations. Hopefully, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth gets a Chinese/English localization because I want to get it physically.

QaaQer

Ah the good memories of that particular thread, especially Chris Metal's GIFs xP

OT: I'm glad to hear that the Chinese versions are selling well and are worth doing the translations. Hopefully, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth gets a Chinese/English localization because I want to get it physically.

Me too. I hope we get some games coming the other way as well.

What genres do gamers in China like besides MMO's?

?

I think they are only allowed to play mmo's made by tencent except on sundays when they can play mahjong with their grandmas.

Blanquito

It means that the Chinese are buying the localised versions of game more when compared to the English and Japanese release that can be imported/bought as well.

So it's saying that the localisation strategy is working because before gamers only had the English or Japanese version to import, but now that there is a translated Chinese version they are seeing strong sales from that version compared to others.

Sorry, it's not explained well is it.

As example, there is Dynasty Warriors 8 released in Hong Kong. You can buy English version, Japanese version or Chinese version. What this is saying is that since more Chinese versions are being released the Chinese version SKU is selling considerably more than other version. It used to be other way around before Sony stepped up localisation.

Aah that makes sense. Thanks! [You succumbed to the pressure and changed your pic back? Shame!]

hirokazu

Wait, so is that saying that the Chinese versions are outselling English and Japanese versions?

Or am I misreading that?
Pretty sure that says including HK and Taiwan, the Chinese version is outselling both the English and Japanese versions (in greater China).

That's not surprising. Most people would prefer playing localised products rather than dealing with a guide.

Javin98

Banned
Hoping for an update of sold through figures, or at the very least sold in figures in China. I don't really get why Sony refuses to release these numbers since the PS4 seems to be doing relatively well there. At least well enough for Sony to keep investing in that market. Speaking of that, all the effort Sony put in to expand the console market in China makes it seem like Microsoft isn't even doing anything.

Believe it or not, I was actually looking through a few pages of that thread after Artisan's post via your link. Good times. But the poor guy will never be forgotten since the day he made history XD

4Tran

What genres do gamers in China like besides MMO's?
China plays the same PC games that are popular in the rest of the world. The two most popular games are League of Legends and Crossfire, basically a Chinese version of CS:GO. The main difference is that Chinese gamers like the anime aesthetic a lot, so they like a lot of Japanese games as well.

I'm thinking they must have sold a significant number or at least moved enough units to warrant this conference.
Not necessarily. Sony is trying to build up the market in China, and a little expenditure for growth leading into the next generation makes a lot of sense. The conference is probably more to remind Chinese gamers that Sony cares about them, and that they can expect to see future support for the foreseeable future.

stryke

Hoping for an update of sold through figures, or at the very least sold in figures in China. I don't really get why Sony refuses to release these numbers since the PS4 seems to be doing relatively well there. At least well enough for Sony to keep investing in that market.

There's no point to publicly announce a number unless it's a nice milestone or it's a major event like this one. Maybe they are doing well, but maybe they also don't want to say much until they're doing great.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Obviously they are gonna announce a sequel for this.

71WSG16oK9L._SL1273_.jpg

Javin98

Banned
There's no point to publicly announce a number unless it's a nice milestone or it's a major event like this one. Maybe they are doing well, but maybe they also don't want to say much until they're doing great.
Yeah, I understand this, but I've been dying for sales figures since the PS4 launched in China to see how well it's really doing.

Zhuge, does 200K sold through by the end of July sound like a stretch?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yeah, I understand this, but I've been dying for sales figures since the PS4 launched in China to see how well it's really doing.

Zhuge, does 200K sold through by the end of July sound like a stretch?

It's really hard to say anything really.

Niko Partners expects 550,000 official PlayStation 4 and Xbox One units to be sold in China during 2015.

Grey imports for all consoles are expected to be over 500,000. Last year there were 800,000 grey consoles sold in China. The decline is expected as consoles become officially available in the country.

As before though, don't expect to get official sales reports haha.

Fingers crossed for a random English/Chinese subtitle version with Japanese audio for Persona 5.

That would be pretty cool actually, especially if Atlus decide once again to neglect dual audio and force us to listen to the Western dub. The quality of the translation itself would have to be up to scratch though.

Javin98

Banned
It's really hard to say anything really.

Niko Partners expects 550,000 official PlayStation 4 and Xbox One units to be sold in China during 2015.

Grey imports for all consoles are expected to be over 500,000. Last year there were 800,000 grey consoles sold in China. The decline is expected as consoles become officially available in the country.

As before though, don't expect to get official sales reports haha.
Thanks for this info. But I'm gonna keep my hopes up that Sony does give us sales figures. Who knows? They might surprise you. If you told anyone before June 15 2015 that Sony would announce TLG, FF7 Remake and Shenmue 3 all in one conference, they would call you crazy. So yeah, I still believe.
I'm not gonna cry if it doesn't happen :p

barit

King of Wushu gets a world wide release is the real news in here. Is this confirmed? If yes then hell yeah! I really want to try that game :D

ZhugeEX

Banned
That would be pretty cool actually, especially if Atlus decide once again to neglect dual audio and force us to listen to the Western dub. The quality of the translation itself would have to be up to scratch though.

I'm confident Persona 5 will have a Chinese version like you said for HK, the localization quality probably will depend on them translating from the English version or Japanese version, English translations done by SCEJA have mostly been subpar.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Thanks a lot for the link, Zhuge - no wonder I couldn't find it! XD

No problem.

I guess one thing I didn't mention but was talked about was that Sony Computer Entertainment Asia are hoping for a simultaneous release of Final Fantasy 15 in all worldwide markets including Asian markets. However they are aware that governments in some countries like China need to approve the game which can take a long time but they still aim to launch the localised version in China/worldwide the same day/week as Japan.

Is that thread worthy? Or do we already know this?

No problem.

I guess one thing I didn't mention but was talked about was that Sony Computer Entertainment Asia are hoping for a simultaneous release of Final Fantasy 15 in all worldwide markets including Asian markets. However they are aware that governments in some countries like China need to approve the game which can take a long time but they still aim to launch the localised version in China/worldwide the same day/week as Japan.

It's new, but I don't think it's surprising considering the localisation announcement for MGSV TPP last year, which imo, signals that SCE Asia is very serious about prompt localisation efforts and getting it out there as soon as possible.

BadWolf

No problem.

News to me, thought Japan would get it first for sure.

News to me, thought Japan would get it first for sure.

Hoping. Sony can't force publishers to release simultaneously, though they can definitely wink wink nudge, or where needed, basically be the one handling localisation of 3rd-party games for languages that other publishers didn't take into account for in the budget.

SCE Taiwan was instrumental in localising Trails of Cold Steel into Chinese for the Taiwanese market, and will also be localizing TPP into Traditional Chinese. Adding in simplified Chinese language localisation is pretty easy if you're already doing traditional.

stryke

Hoping. Sony can't force publishers to release simultaneously, though they can definitely wink wink nudge, or where needed, basically be the one handling localisation of 3rd-party games for languages that other publishers didn't take into account for in the budget.

SCE Taiwan was instrumental in localising Trails of Cold Steel into Chinese for the Taiwanese market, and will also be localizing TPP into Traditional Chinese. Adding in simplified Chinese language localisation is pretty easy if you're already doing traditional.

SCE also put in the work to localise MGSV as well I think.

Top Bottom