• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China press conference on July 29 2015 - PS4 future, Games & Morpheus

ZhugeEX

Banned
Oh. But isn't that what the poster wrote or did I just have terrible reading comprehension?

They made a mistake I think. It's not out in China officially.

However there is English, Japanese and Traditional Chinese version that mainlanders can import.

ZhugeEX is there a forum similar to NeoGAF that China uses? BBS? Would you happen to have the URL?

Yeh, that's a popular one-

http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=261&page=1

ZhugeEX

Banned
Pardon my lack of knowledge but where is the Asia copy sold if not China?

Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines and probably some other countries I've forgotten.

edit: What se7en sword said^

There is a difference between Asia version and China version.

1. Asia version is usually in Traditional Chinese
2. It can be localised very quickly thanks to quick approval process

1. China version HAS TO BE in Simplified Chinese
2. Approval process takes a long time because China govt have to make sure the game matches standards and has no inappropriate content.

hirokazu

Wait, Bloodborne was released in China?! When did this happen? I didn't know..

I'm going off that interview excerpt posted earlier and comments in this thread. I guess it's not released in China and they were talking about Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I got confused with that interview being in a thread about (mainland) China.

safichan

Banned
This is the very defining moment where Playstation brand can take advantage to be a market leader in console gaming for years and generations to come. If they succeed and continue to growth in China well...there is more likely Playstation brand will become an undispute market leader globally. While its to early to conclude anything, there is no denying fact that China is so important to Sony and Playstation brand, just like Hollywood with their movie industry recently.

Javin98

Banned
They made a mistake I think. It's not out in China officially.

However there is English, Japanese and Traditional Chinese version that mainlanders can import.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going off that interview excerpt posted earlier and comments in this thread. I guess it's not released in China and they were talking about Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I got confused with that interview being in a thread about (mainland) China.
I see. No worries. It's been cleared up now.

nightever

What? China may not care for Nintendo home consoles, but there's definitely a player base for handhelds. Nintendo seems to be more clueless than I expected, and it's not going to matter whether or not they decide to release NX in China. If Sony is the only platform holder who gives a damn about China, then they're basically going to own the home console and handheld markets by default.

PSP sold 10x more than DS in Chinese grey market. And yeah, pirate shouldn't been an excuse since both are heavily and easily pirated.

Market share wise it is definitly Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo. Nintendo almost has no localized games for both traditional and simplified Chinese market, the limited number of them are also limited to the HK and China version of 3DS which are SHOCKINGLY region locked.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Lol. The place is pretty different from Neogaf though. They can talk freely about piracy (although I've seen members advocating for people to buy originals) and scans are allowed.

But if there's one thing uniting us, it's the cynicism when it comes to Square Enix. For a long while people would call it the Great Mobile Game Dream Factory or something like that.

Pachael

There is lots of Chinese gamers asking for unreleased titles like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Shenmue 3 and so they are working on plans to bring more games to China through official channels.

Despite Yu-san's good work I've always felt it disappointing that the Shenmue series wasn't at the least dubbed in Mandarin/Cantonese considering 2 takes place in Hong Kong and then Guilin. It's probably too early to half hope that there's a push for a Mandarin localisation 3 since it'll start from Guilin but who knows.

On a separate note, I'm glad someone is taking Mandarin localisations seriously, in particular Sega. My love of the Sakura Taisen series came from playing it on the Dreamcast, but my Japanese was poor. Finding (sometime later) Mandarin localised Sakura Taisen (in Singapore) converted me to the series having now understood what Ogami and friends are saying.

Recent threads do have Sega helping/doing (with Sony?) localisations of http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896204&highlight=sega+chinese (Yakuza Zero), and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php? t=869861&highlight=sega+chinese (PS Nova and Shining Resonance) so it's not as if there's no experience there either*.

EDIT: These are Taiwanese/Asian releases with Traditional Chinese (whoops). Likely localising them to China markets isn't too hard (Simplified Chinese).

Mikey Jr.

Is there any sort of precedent for a console manufacturer making this sort of push?

I always assumed China was this Goliath that nobody can/will never break. I always thought that

1. Chinese gamers vastly prefer PC games because....

2. Piracy on PC is extremely rampant over there

So why would they switch to a console that does not allow them to pirate? I just wonder what its going to take for a console to win over there.

So why would they switch to a console that does not allow them to pirate? I just wonder what its going to take for a console to win over there.

China is indeed a goliath, but you're under a massive misconception. If piracy was king, no one would be investing in China's gaming scene, yet we're seeing a shit-ton of PC games investment into the China market. On the contrary, China is one of the biggest gaming markets out there both in no.of players and revenue generated.

However, the big difference is that F2P and MMOs dominate the Chinese gaming scene. And by extension, the PC market is the platform of choice for non-mobile gamers, because of it's the platform that delivers the most desired games (LoL, Crossfire, DOTA2, WoW, etc) and the wide availability of internet cafes mean that gamers without a PC can easily spend a few dime to play for a few hours.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is there any sort of precedent for a console manufacturer making this sort of push?

I always assumed China was this Goliath that nobody can/will never break. I always thought that

Console can't "Win". No one is saying that it can either. However China can represent a somewhat notable part of the console market if Sony play their cards right. China is a large country and that means there is plenty of opportunity, the majority of which is currently being exploited by PC and Mobile games.

However, despite consoles being banned for the past 14 years we've seen Chinese gamers import around 1 to 3 million consoles per year with the PlayStation 2 being the most popular console there. Just like any country there will be gamers who want to play console games and s importing these consoles was the only way to play games, console imports into China reached their peak once they started getting hacked. This time both Sony and Microsoft are hoping that console sales in the country can reach that peak again but without the consoles needing to be hacked. The game plan is to get gamers buying consoles through value added services and increased localisation efforts to get gamers to buy consoles.

It's worth noting that whilst piracy is big in China, the game market there is still worth more than the US gaming market (It's fucking huge) and so there is plenty of opportunity. Hence why Sony and MS are trying to crack the market to get some of that revenue.

It's a tough ask but there is demand in China for consoles. The console market already accounts for 5.1% of the total gaming market and its estimated that more than 1 million consoles will be sold in the country this year both officially and unofficially. Then the aim is to increase the software attach rate and get Chinese gamers buying games and subscribing to additional services.

Ultimately the Chinese console market will be small, but if they can crack that small market then they're looking at a market with more than 3 million players that is worth billions about 3 years from now.

Both Sony and Microsoft have made it clear, along with Shanghai Media Group that they want to ship 100 software titles per year, increase the attach rate to over 3:1 for software and increase the install base of consoles in the country.

This isn't something that can happen over night but I'm hopeful that we will see more Chinese gamers and in turn more active developments in China with new game titles launching internationally as well.

I don't believe a console that cannot be modified can ever beat PCs in Mainland China.

But incomes for Chinese gamers are growing, genuine copies are not luxury anymore. In fact, overall spending on entertainment in China has been exploding, For example, the movie industry has been spectacularly lucrative. On gaming side, despite not able to be pirated, the community for MH4 is still quite vibrant.

I can definitely see a number of Chinese gamers buying a PS4 to play exclusives, whether it is worth the effort still remains to be seen.

Stanng243

Their economy is crashing. Basically they did what the US did but much worse because no accountablity so the market is correcting and Beijing is overreacting.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant issues with the amount of PS4s in stock. I really need more coffee.

Their economy is crashing. Basically they did what the US did but much worse because no accountablity so the market is correcting and Beijing is overreacting.

The stock market bubble did burst in late June, but it's been climbing back up the last few days. The Shanghai index is also still much higher than what it was in 2014. It still may correct itself and fall some more, but it's not going back down to the prior year baseline.

P.S. good time to buy a good China ETF.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The stock market bubble did burst in late June, but it's been climbing back up the last few days. The Shanghai index is also still much higher than what it was in 2014. It still may correct itself and fall some more, but it's not going back down to the prior year baseline.

Was waiting for you to turn up!

What are your thoughts on console market at the moment?

ShinMaruku

That all depends if Beijing does not do crazy things.

Xiao Hu

I'm really interested in what Chinese developers could come up with if there weren't those stupid legal limitations and the mentality to outright copy the products of others.

Was waiting for you to turn up!

What are your thoughts on console market at the moment?

The "domesticated" consoles are definitely becoming less and less relevant. For both sides it's now a game of "who's gonna get something approved first" + price drops.

Software sales, other than Dynasty Warriors, seems to be very AAA and "exclusive" driven (drive club sale = unexpected.) Guilty Gear (un)suprisingly performed meh.

Overall, not much to speak of.

P.S. Chinese Paladin 6 is getting bombed for last gen graphics (I would say the character models are almost like a HD port of a vita game.) + absolutely disastrous optimization issue where not even a high end PC can run it at 60fps. I don't think it's going to be come the X1/PS4 big "china-game" hit.

Yeah, this was nothing like the last US bubble. China wiped out a particularly frothy 3 months of gains. US wiped 10 years.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The "domesticated" consoles are definitely becoming less and less relevant. For both sides it's now a game of "who's gonna get something approved first" + price drops.

Software sales, other than Dynasty Warriors, seems to be very AAA and "exclusive" driven (drive club sale = unexpected.) Guilty Gear (un)suprisingly performed meh.

P.S. Chinese Paladin 6 is getting bombed for last gen graphics (I would say the character models are almost like a HD port of a vita game.) + absolutely disastrous optimization issue where not even a high end PC can run it at 60fps. I don't think it's going to be come the X1/PS4 big "china-game" hit.

Thanks for the insight mate. Always love reading your posts.

Shame to hear about Paladin 6, I too heard about the graphics and 60fps thing.

Rymuth

Was waiting on your insight. Nice to have you join us.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It will be 3pm to 4pm china time

s_5ef972b86fc8961270fc6d8879ef61c3.jpg

Stanng243

How dare you! :p

Around 3am EDT (although someone should confirm this based on my history with time zones haha.

I thought your picture might have something to do with it, but it's not showing up for me. I'm amazed you don't have a tag yet. Something about charts and graphs.

Top Bottom