• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China press conference on July 29 2015 - PS4 future, Games & Morpheus

ZhugeEX

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 5 has a simultaneous release worldwide. Asia will get the localised version the same day as Japan. However there is no China version confirmed yet.

God of War 3: Remastered is another example, the localised version for Asia will release the same day as worldwide.

Also sometimes we see games launch in Asia with localisation before the West. For example, Samurai Warriors 4-II & Dragon Quest Heroes "Chinese Versions" launched last month whilst the English versions won't be out until October.

Wiggy

What happened to the 'China hates japan and wont buy their products' talk? Was it exaggerated or has sony done a great marketing job or something?

Kikujiro

What happened to the 'China hates japan and wont buy their products' talk? Was it exaggerated or has sony done a great marketing job or something?

The "Chinese doesn't buy Japanese products" has always been an idiotic talk, perpetrated by people who don't know anything about China.
The truth is that most of the Chinese people aren't invested in politics, especially those with money that can buy good and trendy products like a Japanese camera. Beijing is one of the few places where I saw people using a PSP in the subway.

ZhugeEX

Banned

It's people who say Japan hates American products by using Xbox as an example but forget that Apple phones are most popular there.

Anyway, some more information. Sorry if translation is poor.

Hiroyuki Oda today said that he wanted to thank Chinese players for welcoming the PS4 into the country back in March. Whilst the PlayStation business is still in early stages the sales performance and enthusiasm is more than expected.

When talking about games he said that he is aware that game support is limited when it comes to officially sold titles in China. However there is a reason that the booth (at CCG) has games like One Piece Pirate Warriors playable, and that is because they are striving to bring all these already released games to local China market but also focusing on new games. There is lots of Chinese gamers asking for unreleased titles like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Shenmue 3 and so they are working on plans to bring more games to China through official channels.

Morpheus will have to go through the approval process to enter China as well and so Oda did not commit to any launch date in China just yet. He says they are working on getting a launch date for the West and once that is decided they will strive to bring Morpheus to China.

In regards to games they plan to support Chinese developers in a very strong way. I've talked about this in the OP. One focus of Sony is to get Chinese developers making games for PS4 for the China market but also to release internationally as well. It is the reason that Sony are in China, to help them develop and promote games on international stage.

There is no plan to introduce PS Now to China yet.

The reason games take a long time to approve is because China govt is not familiar with the nature of console games so will take longer to check the contents and review the game to ensure it meets the standards needed to go on sale in the country. Sony are taking steps to increase communication with govt to speed up the approval process.

Oda again talked about localisation and said they aim to bring popular games over the same time as worldwide launch. Example given is Final Fantasy X/X-2 for PS4 which launched May 12th worldwide and in just one month they were able to localise and get the game approved for release in China on June 18th. It has seen very successful sales thanks to this.

a8e764e6jw1etwi37pgqyj218g0p0wks.jpg

As a note from myself, at CCG couple of days back the PlayStation booth had so many games like Final Fantasy X/X-2 and One Piece Pirate Warriors while Xbox booth had.... fruit ninja..... yeh..... really shows who is taking the market seriously. Also Sony dubbed the whole of E3 in Mandarin for Chinese audience whilst Microsoft did nothing to promote E3 games.

For those who want to know what the booth was like and how big the Sony presence was then look at this video - http://video.sina.com.cn/view/249654766.html

Wiggy

It's bullshit. Chinese people are buying a lot of japanese products.

Bullshit and ignorance spoken by people who's obviously never stepped foot in China.

The "Chinese doesn't buy Japanese products" has always been an idiotic talk, perpetrated by people who don't know anything about China.
The truth is that most of the Chinese people aren't invested in politics, especially those with money that can buy good and trendy products like a Japanese camera. Beijing is one of the few places where I saw people using a PSP in the subway.

It's people who say Japan hates American products by using Xbox as an example but forget that Apple phones are most popular there.

Thanks for the info everyone, i figured as much.

Javin98

Banned
Hiroyuki Oda today said that he wanted to thank Chinese players for welcoming the PS4 into the country back in March. Whilst the PlayStation business is still in early stages the sales performance and enthusiasm is more than expected.
Then where are 'dem numbers?! I'm dying here!

As a note from myself, at CCG couple of days back the PlayStation booth had so many games like Final Fantasy X/X-2 and One Piece Pirate Warriors while Xbox booth had.... fruit ninja..... yeh..... really shows who is taking the market seriously. Also Sony dubbed the whole of E3 in Mandarin for Chinese audience whilst Microsoft did nothing to promote E3 games.

For those who want to know what the booth was like and how big the Sony presence was then look at this video - http://video.sina.com.cn/view/249654766.html

Random anecdote : That dress for Sony's trade show attendants are pretty classy.

P.S. my only knowledge of the dresscode for Chinese events come from coughgooglecough of China Joy, which isn't to be done while at work, for various reasons.

addik

Honestly, I'm really anticipating the Chinese games that Sony will help develop/publish. I hope they release them internationally, I'm really curious to see the types of games they are going to make.

stryke

Also Sony dubbed the whole of E3 in Mandarin for Chinese audience whilst Microsoft did nothing to promote E3 games.

Yes, this was very impressive. It wasn't just Mandarin, here were the other languages they did -

Japanese
Cantonese
Spanish
German
Italian
Castilian
Korean
French
Portuguese
Australian

4Tran

There's still a tiny chance that Microsoft is saving all of their efforts for ChinaJoy instead. But if they don't show up there either, then they've ceded the entire Chinese console market to Sony.

China's console market is currently tiny, but there's a chance that it can grow very large, and Sony seems to be the sole beneficiary. By the way, does anyone know how Nintendo is doing in China. Based on the lack of news, I assume that Nintendo doesn't have any idea how to appeal to the Chinese market so they're going nowhere fast.

ZhugeEX

Banned
China's console market is currently tiny, but there's a chance that it can grow very large, and Sony seems to be the sole beneficiary. By the way, does anyone know how Nintendo is doing in China. Based on the lack of news, I assume that Nintendo doesn't have any idea how to appeal to the Chinese market so they're going nowhere fast.

Nintendo currently have no plans to launch the Wii U in China.

Also the Nintendo 3DS was released through partner iQue in China however just like standard 3DS it is region locked and can only play authorised games. I'm fairly certain there is LESS THAN 5 localised and authorised games to play on Chinese 3DS.

So if gamers want to play Nintendo games they need to import the console/handheld and then make sure they buy the correct region specific games, which won't be localised ofc.

So no, Nintendo isn't making an impact in China.

4Tran

Nintendo currently have no plans to launch the Wii U in China.

Also the Nintendo 3DS was released through partner iQue in China however just like standard 3DS it is region locked and can only play authorised games. I'm fairly certain there is LESS THAN 5 localised and authorised games to play on Chinese 3DS.
What? China may not care for Nintendo home consoles, but there's definitely a player base for handhelds. Nintendo seems to be more clueless than I expected, and it's not going to matter whether or not they decide to release NX in China. If Sony is the only platform holder who gives a damn about China, then they're basically going to own the home console and handheld markets by default.

Faustek

Ohh I'm definitely hyped. Even for the western market. Need to see which games I want to come over :)

Xian Jian please. All of them.

fedexpeon

Banned
I wonder if the stock market crash that lost almost 4 trillion dollars and affected almost 60% of population was just a blip in the overall health of the Chinese economy.
Because these pictures show me that there is no such as a bubble, and people will continue to increase their consumer demand for products.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I wonder if the stock market crash that lost almost 4 trillion dollars and affected almost 60% of population was just a blip in the overall health of the Chinese economy.
Because these pictures show me that there is no such as a bubble, and people will continue to increase their consumer demand for products.

Pictures are just pictures. Of course the stock market crash will affect people. But just like in any country that won't stop everyone from buying products they want.

mosdl

I am always surprised by the fact that the logos in asian countries often include the original English titles in them

I am always surprised by the fact that the logos in asian countries often include the original English titles in them

You'd be surprised at how much arguments go into stuff like this.

Not gaming related, but product anecdote. We are to localise our products, but guidelines enforce usage of the original brand, and that means, well, stuff like the original logo and all that, even if the local country aren't English-literate.

It's a branding perspective argument, where the global brand managers are arguing for synchronity of a singular brand identity regardless of where it's launched, whereas the domestic marketing team cares about making sure people will respond to the marketing.

It's not uncommon that there's both the Chinese name and the English name to mediate the balance between the global and local.

Metal Gear Solid 5 has a simultaneous release worldwide. Asia will get the localised version the same day as Japan. However there is no China version confirmed yet.

God of War 3: Remastered is another example, the localised version for Asia will release the same day as worldwide.

Also sometimes we see games launch in Asia with localisation before the West. For example, Samurai Warriors 4-II & Dragon Quest Heroes "Chinese Versions" launched last month whilst the English versions won't be out until October.

Rumor says TPP's HK Chinese version will see a similar delayed release ala Yakuza 0 and DQH. GoW3R having a simultaneous release is mostly because localization work was already done years ago for the PS3 version.

Also I don't understand why MS is STILL delaying The Master Chief Collection despite having been approved for months. I talked to them for couple times but no concrete info, maybe we'll see something at ChinaJoy as we already know high profile Xbox executives will be present.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Also I don't understand why MS is STILL delaying The Master Chief Collection despite having been approved for months. I talked to them for couple times but no concrete info, maybe we'll see something at China Joy as we already know high profile Xbox executives will be present.

Yeh it's weird.

Plus Microsoft been doing so much false advertising recently and showing games that they have not bothered to localise at all. Maybe they'll localise them in the future but at least hint at that rather than showing titles that have no chance of coming over.

hirokazu

Here is some pictures from CCG Expo 2015 which is currently going on in China.

Enjoy-

That overexposure. o_o

I'm surprised things like Bloodbourne get released in China and MGSV may get a release. I would've thought those are the sorts of things the government would definitely say no to, outside of political content.

Alo0oy

Banned
That overexposure. o_o

I'm surprised things like Bloodbourne get released in China and MGSV may get a release. I would've thought those are the sorts of things the government would definitely say no to, outside of political content.

MGS paints the US negatively, that's probably something the Chinese government likes.

Javin98

Banned
That overexposure. o_o

Wait, Bloodborne was released in China?! When did this happen? I didn't know..

Top Bottom