• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience 2015 Thread: The Year of Dreams

Weird way to end the conference. I've been watching pressers for over a decade and don't think I've seen one that ended like that, it felt...abrupt.

Especially strange given Shawn Layden's "If we opened with Uncharted 4, what are we gonna close with!?" comment. Here's a MOBA from Epic...

Saw it on your Twitter, and couldn't agree more. At the very least, should have switched NNK2 and Paragon.

LeonSPBR

Wish all the grown ass manchildren with ADHD would do the sensible thing and just watch these conferences after theyre finished so they could skip the stuff they dont wanna see and spare the rest of us from the hyperbolic posts
They could just watch the footage of the latest AAA game of their choice and be done with the whole thing,no need to show off your misery,noone cares

They cant even show a 1 minute trailer of sport/indie game anymore (which is a far cry from the FIFA Pele snoozefest) without people losing their shit
Hell,theres a 99% chance I wont play anything shown here but UC4 and FF7,but at least they were fuckin showing games all the way which is the format everybody seemed to be crying for year after year.
Some people just literally want a 10minute long slideshow of the biggest trailers back to back without any humans on stage then cut to black and thats it.
Heres a PSA for you:You can do that on any site afterwards.

But all this applies to every other event,not just this one.People were acting terrible yesterday during VGAs as well.It's getting ridiculous.

Also,why would they show Horizon/TLG/Dreams? They just did them a month ago

Great post.

Oneself

I was also expecting a little more probably due to the bad pacing of the conference. I agree that the conference should have ended on a bang, if only a small teaser of something we don't know about.

So I haven't been keeping up with this and I just read the update section. Holy crap are we really getting Yakuza zero in the west??? I'm so hyped I was kinda hoping we'd get Ishin but no complaints from me if we're getting Zero :0

I can't fucking understand why Shawn Layden would wear that t-shirt and not mention Crash in any way. It's an awful tease. Do Sony own the rights now or what the hell is going on?!

I guess an E3 announcement is headed our way.

Nothing stood out for me personally. I can see some people get excited about franchises they enjoy but anything new just looked uninteresting.

I'm just coasting until 2017.
CVfWh4XUsAAVkY8.png:large

Totally was hooked with the conference. After E3, going into game announcements feel like they don't have to live up to other announcements. I think the Crash thing was intentional. I'm not convinced it was a meaningless troll, but rather a "we love the franchise too" nod.

FF7R gameplay was saved for PSX. Square didn't even save it for an event of their own. That says a lot as to how much Sony is making sure this game is sononomous with PlayStation, whether it comes out later just on PC or another console.

The ending was a bit unfleshed out, but as someone said earlier it was probably considered a big deal to have a company that is so associated with Xbox to have their unveil saved for a PlayStation stage.

Anyway, I can't wait to start downloading and playing these games. It really makes me want to set a lot more time aside for gaming and get back into it.

chadboban

Man, I just got home from my day out (wish I could've stayed home for this) and I find that FFVIIR got a fucking gameplay trailer! Holy shiiit! I fucking Ni No Kuni 2! (Still haven't played the first one but I have it there waiting for me. I can't wait to settle down and look through this conference for myself. Glad I got a PS4 on Black Friday.

Tratorn

What a let down this show was, even with pretty low expectations.
Creating a show for fans, but not showing first party games, really?

I liked that Sony had a stage for indies the last years, because there are some cool out there, but that was definitely too much today. Like 1 hour was for games that are coming to every smartphone from 2010. Not one of those indies looked new & ambitious, the best ones were already known or (years) old. VR stuff was also badly presented.

Not one new 1st-party-game, still can't believe that. And no, please don't post the SSM stuff. ;)

When did Bend cancel their Vita-game and switched to PS4? Thought that was at the beginning of 2013 or even end of 2012. They surely should have something to show, at least a small trailer?

NNK2 saved the keynote for me (U4 and FVIIR were really great too, though).

The ending was a bit unfleshed out, but as someone said earlier it was probably considered a big deal to have a company that is so associated with Xbox to have their unveil saved for a PlayStation stage.

Never even thought of that ha...and to be honest, judging by the reactions, I don't think most people are/care either, let's be honest here lol. Epic went third party a while ago.

Weird way to end the conference. I've been watching pressers for over a decade and that felt, I'm not sure, it felt...abrupt.

Especially strange given Shawn Layden's "If we opened with Uncharted 4, what are we gonna close with!?" comment. Here's a MOBA from Epic...

Rehearsal was probably PS2 classics but considering the leak and the mixed reactions they probably axed it.
Or maybe it was Hideo Kojima but Konamis lawyers pulled the plug.

Btw, where was Shuhei?

Very good show Sony and they didn't even tease the new GoW or Sony Bend game.

-Ni No Kuni 2
-Ace Combat 7 with VR support (fuck yeah!)
- Yakuza 0
- FFVII gameplay scenes which looked really good.

Awesome press conferences this year from Sony.

That Crash tease better be real Shawn, or else!!1

CamHostage

Sony have flat-out stated that they aren't going to make any new Vita games. I think they even said that twice so far.

I am aware of that. Nobody was expecting anything big (or small) from Sony on Vita. However, they still were making baseball until this year, so it's significant that even that is no longer a legacy product, they're just done.

And the Gio Corsi segment could have had a few Vita titles if they had them (his #buildingthelist program was in part about finding existing foreign titles people wanted in quantities large enough to encourage developers to make it happen, Vita was part of that conversation,) but either they didn't want to take any focus away from PS4/VR and waste any time on niche Vita titles, or 3rd Party just didn't have anything worth touting for that platform unless it tied to PS4. (Was Bastion in that segment? That was one Vita-oriented bit of stage time. And Double Fine seemed plenty excited about its Vita versions of DotT and Full Throttle, I will be thanking their Vita enthusiasm with my purchase.)

Speaking of Vita, the Adult Swim Digital announcements were curiously PS4-only. I was going to start a thread about this, I know [AS] reads GAF; is Rain World no longer planned for Vita? Or did that just get skipped from the video package?

jrcbandit

I don't get all the complaints. The VR demo was especially horrible and they made a stupid choice on what game to close the conference with (who cares about an Epic MOBA), but otherwise I thought it was a very solid conference with some great reveals. I don't expect an AAA game reveal every 10 seconds, this isn't E3 and even E3 has alot of indy games.

Withnail

It was a great conference apart from the dodgy VR bit.

The diversity on PS4 is ridiculous. Truly the heir to the PS2.

And several things available to buy today which is cool.

Chobel

Why the show ended abruptly? From Shawn Layden
In a follow up Q&A on the event’s livestream, PlayStation boss Shawn Layden why this was the case.

“That ending, that closure from ending from Epic for Paragon…In a typical show I do the opening and I do the closing. But that Paragon video is so powerful. I did not want to go after that. You didn’t want me coming and saying, “Thank you for coming and please enjoy the games.” Let that thing close it, that was drop the mic moment, that was fabulous. I am really happy with the guys at Epic [they] are going to bring to the PlayStation 4.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/shawn-layden-explains-why-the-playstation-experience-keynote-ended-abruptly

I don't get all the complaints. The VR demo was especially horrible and they made a stupid choice on what game to close the conference with (who cares about an Epic MOBA), but otherwise I thought it was a very solid conference with some great reveals. I don't expect an AAA game reveal every 10 seconds, this isn't E3 and even E3 has alot of indy games.

The complain is starting with U4, and coming in stage wearing a crash shirt saying "if you like that, wait till you see what else we have to show you", and its all indies and remasters, with some sequels in the mix. Ending with MOBA CG trailer was just a glorious way to end.

I think it was a solid 6.5-7/10 conference. Pushing VR (if this is going to be something Sony cares about they needed to have this in), a decent line up of games and announcements. This isn't E3 so Sony focused on things they wanted to focus on instead of things that will steal the show. Nothing needs to overshine right now, save that for E3, no need for winter hype.

Shu and Sean playing No Man's Sky.

Looks great, but I'm skeptical. The idea is really cool and it sounds like a massive game.
My biggest fear is that the planets/creatures all look the same after a few hours. Sure, all planets have their own hills/oceans/... but it can become predictable.

Also would like to know the little things, like what happens when you fly into a creature. Does it react, does it do nothing,... Such things can break immersion.

Still many questions and I feel the hype around this game is way too big.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from the abrupt ending to the conference, which was quite weird, I thought it was great. I enjoyed seeing a lot of games I had never seen before. I also watched the conference without ever once visiting Neogaf, and I have to say that as far as watching gaming conferences is concerned, that was the best decision I made. I become unnecessarily cynical when browsing this forum while simultaneously watching E3, PSX, etc., but since I didn't this time, I felt much more appreciative of what was shown.

Edit: Now after reading this thread over since the conference's end, I'm definitely glad I wasn't here while it was airing.

"I want new, original games!"

*new games shown*

"Where the fuck were my sequels? Fuck you!"

Naudi

Banned
Didn't they say Fat Princess would have a discount? Don't want to buy just to see the price drop 5 minutes later.

what was up with that ending? instead of closing on Ni No Kuni they ended on some moba? I mean, okay i guess, not a smart way to end it if you ask me. I was honest to god expecting crash to come back too cause of that shirt in the beginning and all this rumbling about crash lately. Best part of the conference was easily ni no kuni 2.

CamHostage

Why the show ended abruptly? From Shawn Layden

It kind of was a big deal actually, to show what Paragon looks like in action after a month of teasing, and to announce that the next game from the Gears of War studio (albeit not Cliffy) was an exclusive to PS4 (and PC), so maybe that's what they were thinking? It is technically a big game and a big deal. But Paragon has been teased so many times that we feel like we've already seen it (and even then, the gameplay trailer might have been more compelling than the staged story video) and we've seen enough hero shooters to not care even though they may end up owning the market in due time.

It's kind of like when Microsoft or whoever opens or ends with Call of Duty or Destiny as their big thing, I guess it's big, but it sure has no impact.

Weird way to end the conference. I've been watching pressers for over a decade and that felt, I'm not sure, it felt...abrupt.

Did he say end with? I thought it was what's the rest going to be like or something?

But yeah weird ending. Everyone was getting up and I was like "sit down we've not seen the ending yet".

Eidjinn

I don't know what to think of the show.

I wanted more Horizon. Got Ni No Kuni 2.
I wanted Rockstar something. Got Yakuza 0 and 5.
I wanted Mark of the Wolves. Got Full Throttle (one top ten game of all time for me) .
I wanted the materia system intact. Got FFVII action thing that wasn't that disappointing...
I wasn't interested in Ratchet and Clank. Now I am.
I wasn't expecting any big surprise...got NiOh.

Well... 8/10, maybe?
Literally all my dreams are coming true, so anything after the E3 2015 will not be on par.

If it ended better, it would have been a FAR stronger conference. The rest of the content was actually great.

Ignoring the ending, I'd give it a solid 8/10.

I can't be upset when YAKUZA 0 IS COMING TO THE WEST.

MMaRsu

Banned
Guys I had to stop watching bc family obligations after the ff7r gameplay, I want to watch the rest but i dont want to be spoiled!!

Can someone please PM me a link where I can watch it??

Thank you so much in advance

Servbot24

Banned
Who gives a shit about another MOBA.

Uncharted 4 looked really good though, and yay for NnK II.

Bad conference overall. A bunch of games that looked like they were designed for the sole purpose of getting Pew Die Pie to market them.

Strike

Just got off work. Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy VII, Ace Combat 7, and Ni no Kuni 2 all look good. Any bones thrown at Vita this year?

Anything free like last PSX? Sale on ps plus memberships?
Someone in the Gaf community on the PS4 said he got a notification to download the Uncharted 4 multiplayer, his comment was pretty vague though so im not sure if he got that notification because he already owns the Nathan Drake Collection or not.

Top Bottom