• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Tsundere

Banned
capturelmkc2.png

lol!

Was just thinking about that.

KAL2006

Banned
You don't see how multi-gen, cross platform playability via streaming encompassing over fifteen years of hardware history is even a little impressive or desirable? Really?

No one really cares for PS2 and we have had PS1 emulation for so long now in fact I prefer emulation over streaming as you are not tied online. PS3 games is cool but most people prefer the most recent games by 2016, PS3 games will be old news, like I said it would have been better if Sony just ported their key PS3 titles from last gen in 1080p. The only backwards compatibility I like is PC where mods and improved performance extent the games life. I think this isn't going to be a big deal personally but only time will tell.

Einbroch

Banned
We all knew it was coming. Until the most important questions are answered (price, game selection and quality) I'll just nod. Unless it is priced like Netflix (small fee, all the games) or included within PS+, no sale.

Can't imagine playing these games on a tablet or phone though. The amount of digital buttons would be gross.

That's a tall order. I see it being more like a PS+ mixed with Netflix kind of deal.

20+ games off the bat, adding a dozen or so games in every quarter, after a year they're gone. You don't keep them, they're just gone like Netflix.

PS+ members pay $4.99/month extra to use the service, non-PS+ pay $7.99/month.

Edit: Oh, nevermind, it's renting apparently.

Piccoro

Streaming PS1, PS2 and PS3 games to my Vita will be awesome, but I wish there would be some kind of discount for having the original cd's/dvd's/Blueray's...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just pair up a dual-shock, or get a Shield. Of course if they gimp it to prevent those types of things then it doesn't matter and this whole venture seems worthless because streaming games is not ideal and not really worth paying for.

I can't see anyone pairing up a dual shock to play these games on their lunch break over their phone. >.> It's a neat feature but I doubt that factors into anyone's minds.

Koozek

But wouldn't this cause some people to not buy a PS4/PS3/Vita, assuming they have excellent internet speeds and the whole Now service works relatively lag-free?
So you should be able to connect your DS3/4 with your Bravia Tv, or what?
Man, this all sounds too good to be true^^

AngryMoth

Intriguing. Could be really big if they get the pricing right.

I am interested to know their plans for integrating it with tablets/phones. Is it theoretically possible to sync a dualshock with an ipad now ios has gamepad support, or would they need to launch a new controller?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God of War on the show floor - they're not taking the easy route. Look forward to impressions.

Also looking forward to that cloud TV service - that could be killer. PlayTV was great in Europe for PS3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But wouldn't this cause some people to not buy a PS4/PS3/Vita, assuming they have excellent internet speeds and the whole Now service works relatively lag-free?
So you should be able to connect your DS3/4 with your Bravia Tv, or what?
Man, this all sounds too good to be true^^

While PS3 and PS4 owners will play beta tester, their ultimate goal for this platform is people who wouldn't buy a PlayStation anyway. There are many such people.

iammeiam

Help me understand this.. There will be a subscription to play PS3 games on tablet, vita or sony phone???

So the Vita can handle those ps3 games? seems like a great idea... but I am guessing you only own those games if you have the subscription... much like ps plus. If you ever drop the ps plus sub, dont you loose those games?

It reads like it's impossible to own Gaikai games--you can either 'rent' individual titles, or pay for access to a Netflix library of games. There are a number of ways this could be awesome (if the sub is cheap and the sub library is comprehensive), and a number that could suck (if the sub library is lacking, or certain titles are rental-only.) it also seems like the Gaikai stuff would end up losing games to licensing (like, you can never own it, so when Activision pulls Deadpool is it just gone?)

It could be absolutely massive, but the lack of purchase option is a little worrying. Understandable from a money perspective, but disappointing.)

Streaming has issues, but works great for stuff like rpgs which aren't timing intensive.

And really people expected this to be free?

Carl

This sounds pretty damn good. Didn't expect it to launch on all of those devices - expected it to start on consoles and expand slowly. Definitely ambitious, could be really awesome if it works.

fizzgigg

Banned
Its rent per title people

RENT PER TITLE....this sucks I dont want to rent games I want to own them.

In bigger news THATS a megaton wow ps1 2 3 on my vita and ps4 YES please I will be streaming for sure : )

BearPawB

Banned
Will be great if it is any game (I.e. persona 5 launches, and i can play it immediately).

Will be less great if it is just a random collection of old games (Uncharted, some random ps classics).

Still great, just less so.

Jindrax

hmmmmmmeuhhhhhh I dunno...
I have boxes full of ps2 games...
2metres high worth of ps3 games...

I don't know how I feel about having to pay to play these games / buying them again.

ElRenoRaven

You know if these games are playable without a ton of lag then this could be huge. Course On-live certainly didn't thrill me. Found my bandwidth usages went up by 10 times normal usage just playing a game on that for an hour.

I wonder if games I purchased on PSN for my PS3 (like the last of us) will be free to stream from the service or will I need to pay some fee to be able to do so?

Top Bottom