• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

coopolon

While it will probably be only acceptable for turn based type games, this is exciting news. Vita is especially interesting since it has hardware buttons, low resolution, but an excellent display.

The pricing is going to be the determining factor for its success though. If it is anywhere near the outlandish onlive pricing it will be worthless.

It's too bad, I just installed psp cfw on my vita, and this would very much make me update if it is priced well. Their very reasonable pricing on ps+ makes me think they will be smart, but maybe they think they underpriced ps+ and will go way too high on this.

Jigolo

If this means P5 and Kindgom Hearts 2.5 HD remix on PS4 then I'm all for it but something tells me this will only be older PS3 games

Concept17

So excited for this. There are still a number of PS3 games I was hoping to play, but likely wouldn't have since I moved on to PS4.

So much Vita love.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, if this is the only way I'll be able to play Dragon Quest 8 on Vita, I'll take it. :-(

Zoe

What made you think that was ever going to happen? I thought that it was always clear that Gaikai was going to provide the PlayStation library going forward.

Even if it was wishful thinking, it would have been nice to carry forward your previous purchases rather than having to maintain a subscription.

BibiMaghoo

Wwwwwwhhhhhaaaaaaaat!??

I'm crap with search so will never find it, but there was a thread the other day about them having a patent for essentially pausing an emulated game and allowing code to be inserted into it, and then resuming, or at least that was my understanding from what I remember.

This could be used to provide trophies for every PS catalog game, should they take the time to do so. That would be massive.

I would probably replay 10 years worth of games. This makes it worth their time to do.

First question out of general consumer's mouths "What about PS4 games?" because they certainly have the tech to do it if the want

I really doubt they'll use this for PS4 games. They would sell a lot less consoles if they did that. It makes sense for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games since those consoles are so old already.

Is the license model known? Can i play my purchased PS3/PS2 games via didc autorization, PSN buy history or do i have to buy them again?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Lack of L2/R2/ buttons really makes playing games on the Vita a pain (PS4 Remote Play)

Depends on the game really. But yeah I really hope Sony release an accessory to add extra buttons on the back of the Vita. Just a little thing you can clip on the back with buttons that push on the right parts of the rear touch pad when you press them would make a world of difference for PS3/3/4 games on Vita.

The infinite power of the cloud I guess.

For a second I thought this would have been brilliant for the Vita but if it's gonna be available on tablets and smart phones then I don't know. Anyways this is great stuff from Sony.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Subscription based... wow.

$10 a month for the entire back catalog of PS1, 2 and 3?

Sign me up!

Is the PS2 support going to be the level of PS2 classics from PSN... if so, not subbing for a service that takes year long breaks between releases.

Zia

Fine for people that treat games as disposable entertainment, but this shift has me concerned about preservation going forward.

Milennia

Are the lack of triggers on the Vita making it difficult to play shooters via remote play?

Its really bad from a control standpoint imo,you have 4 tiny little squares on the back that that are assigned to sprint etc. just feels like crap imo,
Also the text is very tiny and unoptimized.

I really like what they are doing here, especially with a paid service that I'm assuming, will allow me to access ps plus style, ps2/3 catalogs.

Im guessing there will be a store where you can buy titles as well...as someone who doesn't own a ps2 anymore, and doesn't use his launch ps3, the ps2 support is massive for me.

I just hope they have a decent sized catalog lined up as well as newer titles in addition to the older ones.

Even if it was wishful thinking, it would have been nice to carry forward your previous purchases rather than having to maintain a subscription.

True. That said if the price is right and you could literally play almost any title for PS2, PS1 and older PS3 titles it could be amazing. If they solve the inherent latency/quality issues.

coopolon

Is the license model known? Can i play my purchased PS3/PS2 games via didc autorization, PSN buy history or do i have to buy them again?

I think anyone expecting to not have to pay to play their disc based games through this service is setting themselves up for disappointment. See umd.

PSN purchases is certainly more plausible, but I think they can get away with charging you again anyway, at least an upgrade fee, and so I doubt they'll pass up that opportunity.

Caelestis

I'd get exited, but not sure how I feel about another subscription. I guess it'll all come down to the price and what exactly they're offering for it.

Top Bottom