• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

If they really want to improve adoption rates they should include some form of token system for ps+ to rent a game or two a month.

But still, the price seems fair for what it is, and makes a hell of a lot more sense than the individual rental prices.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
All I want is a demo, so I can see how well it works on my Vita. Just 5 minutes or so, to make sure it's satisfactory before I pay any money. Until that happens, I won't be using PS Now.

SerTapTap

So you have to pay for PS+ on top of this?

If you mean "is this part of PS+" no, PS+ is never going to also be PS Now. IF you mean "is PS+ required to even pay for this" I can't see how that could possibly be the case as it's streamed to two consoles that don't require PS+ in any way for anything online.

Holy fuck, this is cool. A bit on the expensive side but at least they're listening to subscription calls.

I really hope this comes to the UK. I tried doing the network test and it said I was too far away from the servers :(

Kosma

Banned
Wait, PS2 and PS1 games are not included?

Thats kind of shit then.

I hope there will be a discounted price for PS+ members.

I'm not sure this price point is what I was expecting. That's not a good thing either. Ehhh, I don't know about this. I thing $20 for 3 months, $50 for 6, and $99 for year would have been better.

Mikey Jr.

Yep, I'm in for 3 months.

Tons of stuff just from that picture that I've never even played.

Just imagine once they expand it to ps2 and ps1? Holy shit.

Then add ps4 games eventually too.

Storm360

Do you honestly think they would bother offering options/manual patches for the 1% of situations where an unpatched game is preferable?

Sure, it really won't be a huge deal, you'd need to be running separate builds of every game anyways to support DLC

Deft Beck

Seems a little expensive, but I would be interested in trying it out.

So, assuming it would be cheaper per month as you pay for more months, maybe $120 for a year isn't unreasonable?

SerTapTap

Yeah they really do need a yearly sub. I hate subs in general, but I would want something like this long term.

All I want is a demo, so I can see how well it works on my Vita. Just 5 minutes or so, to make sure it's satisfactory before I pay any money. Until that happens, I won't be using PS Now.

Well, good news! We’ll also offer a free seven-day trial to the subscription program when it launches.

I hope you are right.

I'll be keeping my PS3 for a while at least.

Don't ditch the PS3 regardless. There are games you already own that'll always be better locally, and some games will never hit PS Now due to licensing/publishers not caring/being dead. My PS3 has UMvC3, Marvel 2, Scott Pilgrim and some Midway Arcade games that'll never hit PS Now due to licensing, plus Folklore in all likelihood.

KingJ2002

thats a good price that should increase adoption rates.

Considering gamefly charges 25+ for two game rentals a month... it's competitive.

they should definitely change the marketing though... speak on the month to month package instead of the 3 month deal... it just confuses people.

The Jer

There will be a free trial available. It's stated in the OP.

gtj1092

Wow that is actually a pretty good deal. Thought they would limit the amount of rentals but if its unlimited sign me up. I've had no problems on the beta so I think it would be worth it for the 3 mos package.

Vashetti

Banned
Terrible pricing. This could be the Netflix of games but they're completely screwing it up.

There should be a decent discount if you already pay for Plus, too.

Paertan

Decent deal. Depending how the price translates to Swedish currency. Fearing 200 SEK. Will maybe try. Never tried streaming games. I am very sensitive to input lag so feels like this is not something for me no matter how cheap but if I can't feel the delay it is a good price.

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow. So SONY's promised answer to providing a backwards compatibility option is to market a subscription service to some nebulous demographic that never played PS3 and charge money for it.

And people are okay with this.

Okay...

good stuff

also lmao @ people complaining. $20/mo is not much considering the amount of games offered (hundreds). For people who don't have PS3 its much less costly than having to buy PS3 and then buying every game individually.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member
Wow. So SONY's promised answer to providing a backwards compatibility option is to market a subscription service to some nebulous demographic that never played PS3 and charge money for it.

And people are okay with this.

Okay...

Oh, you expected they'd run a streaming service for free? I suppose they could do that, if they interrupted gameplay for ads.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wanted a subscription package at first but looking at the content and the price it's probably going to be better to cherry pick the content I want and pay for it individually.

Maybe if the selection improves and includes PS1/PS2.

They should make it so you always pay the lowest price.

Start off by picking and choosing a game, and just play for as long as you like. If you play for an hour, you pay for an hour. If you play a few different games and the overall cost gets to be $20, then it caps the cost at $20 and gives you full access to the catalog like a subscription would.

iNvid02

would actually try it out for a few months if it had the PS1/PS2 back catalog, but pure PS3 is just lol.

Risev1

The price is near what I've expected, but the price is not really the problem. I've tried playing several games with the service, and most of the time I notice drops in quality, and significant input lag. In the end, I just get out and buy the actual game if I enjoyed it.

I'm hoping the quality of the service has been increased though. Haven't tried it in a couple of months.

How is it awful? That was possibly the most reasonable price we gonna get.

Well, I suppose part of the reason has to do with my own personal library; I've got well over 200 physical PS3 games and at least that many downloaded PSN titles. Looking at that picture, there's only a handful of games I don't own.

That said, I wasn't expecting the service to cater to someone like me. I was anticipating some sort of all-access availability, though, where every game was playable and not a middling selection from an already limited draw of the huge PS3 library. I was also expecting some word on being able to stream games that are already tied to our PSN accounts-- instead of having to download titles I already own, for example, I could just steam it instead with license verification (even if this requires another fee, I think it would have been welcome).

Finally, the lack of any word on PSOne games being available for streaming means we'll probably have to deal with terriblez slow implementation on the PS4 ala Virtual Console BS, and that's something I think many people were hoping Sony would be clarifying since it had been implied their massive back catalog of classic games would hit PS Now.

Even with an "all access" subscription model I would be satisfied, disregarding everything I've said above. As it stands, we'll have the choice of shelling out a fairly significant amount of money for a relatively small library of titles that naturally won't appeal to everyone and will likely be fed a slow drip of new titles and be treated as if they're going out of their way heroically for adding 3-4 games a month (or worse, rotating them out).

I'm just not satisfied at all with thi, or what the future holds for the program.

Top Bottom