• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Can anyone get past Cooking The Books in Office Worker on Job Simulator? Three times it's crashed after the keyboard keys manage to get stuck.

Oh well, time for some main event Rez befire complaining to Game about my download codes not showing up.

Bradach

Just got a mail that the delivery guy is on his way with both the VR set and the camera, awesome.

I'm strangely nervous about this whole thing, I've never experienced VR before.

I'm a VR ViRgin too. Can wait!

Is the Xwing mission out today also?

RibMan

The playroom VR platformer is incredible. I want an entire game based on it.

Also after trying the kitchen demo, I'm convinced that RE7 might be the scariest game ever. I felt really uncomfortable playing it. I mean that in a good way.

If VR leads to a new genre of horror games then it will all be worth it. Thanks for the impressions!

ffvorax

I don't see anyone talking about wich headphones are being used...

Is everyone using the one bundled with the visor?

I'm curious how much the quality of these could affect the PSVR use (nausea, immersion,...)

Hasney

Decided on Headmaster before Rez and build up to it. Wow, this is fun and I suck so hard at it. But when I get a good run going, it's hard not to celebrate.

SomTervo

The Here They Lie review is a separate thing. It's just apparently not a good game. FWIW he reviewed RIGS well.

Ah sorry, I didn't realise we were talking about particular games. I suppose it was evident from the respondent's post!

He liked RIGS and Rush of Blood didn't he?

Just to expand a little on what I was saying about blurriness earlier, I'm not talking about the screen being out of focus. I'm more talking that everything just looks low resolution. There's just an overlying softness to everything which I wasn't quite expecting.

This is somewhat offset in certain games, like The Deep on the VR Worlds disc where the AA solution is clean enough to lessen the shimmering. They're still not what I'd call 'sharp' though.

I've tried sitting closer, yes.

As far as replacing the headset goes, the Sony Center I bought it from doesn't offer returns at all (only a manufacturer warranty for defects.)

I'm going to fiddle around with it a little more and we'll see if things get better. It's not been enough to make me sick, it's just a mild annoyance in most games, except for Job Simulator, where it was genuinely distracting.
But what you're experiencing is a manufacturing defect! If your tracking is fucked, that's what the warranty is for :)

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide for tracking issues?

Does the PSVR work will with a 5.1 surround sound home theater setup?

Yes it works fine, I didn't use headphones because of it so far because my setup is superior to most headsets.
Depends on the game, but this is a horrible solution.

You won't be getting positional audio in games where it is important. When you turn your head in VR the headphones move with you. If you turn your head to search for a noise, say you look left, the right can would be where your center channel is on your 5.1 set and the right channel audio you would technically be hearing behind you since the back of your head now faces the right side of your 5.1 setup because the 5.1 setup doesn't follow how you turn your head.

Not only that but there is no positional audio for above or below you if you can't tilt your 5.1 system with your skull. All of that is important and 5.1 is a sub par experience.

This will cause a disconnect in games where you are turning a lot. I imagine this would be horrible for horror games.

-

To others having the giant bomb issue - exchange or return it. A few preview streams had theirs rectified with exchange units. If it's hardware related you don't want to hang on to it.

One question to the Driveclub fans. Do you also have to start over in Driveclub VR? I was something like Level 70 in the normal Driveclub and now I'm again on level 1. WTF?

tr00per

Seems like they should make the full calibration mandatory. Watching videos if thumper it seems waaay too fast for me. And I consider myself decent at rythm games and tunnel shooters. Does it start off slowly?

This is somewhat offset in certain games, like The Deep on the VR Worlds disc where the AA solution is clean enough to lessen the shimmering.

Yeah, you're probably talking about a software issue then. That should get better with time as devs nail the techniques

Doesn't the PSVR headset have a mic built in?

I was referring to the gold headset itself.

PBY

Banned
Damn. This tracking issue is the one thing that worries me - it's just weird we don't know what is causing it exactly.

El-Suave

You won't be getting positional audio in games where it is important. When you turn your head in VR the headphones move with you. If you turn your head to search for a noise, say you look left, the right can would be where your center channel is on your 5.1 set and the right channel audio you would technically be hearing behind you since the back of your head now faces the right side of your 5.1 setup because the 5.1 setup doesn't follow how you turn your head.

Not only that but there is no positional audio for above or below you if you can't tilt your 5.1 system with your skull. All of that is important and 5.1 is a sub par experience.

This will cause a disconnect in games where you are turning a lot. I imagine this would be horrible for horror games.

Good points, haven't thought of that. That probably will make me invest in a headset for Christmas. Currently I only have a good one ear headset because I like to hear my surroundings. Might need to go "all in" for VR though.

Fusebox

Banned
So I thought I'd start my VR experience off with Shark Encounter.

Nope!

Nope nope nope.

Made it about 20 seconds in until I looked down into that inky black abyss they've decided to position us over and discovered a newfound phobia of being suspended over bottomless marine trenches. Who would've known.

So I went and played Danger Ball for a few rounds and fuck yeah Danger Ball is awesome and so is VR.

Loudninja

Nope!

Nope nope nope.

Made it about 20 seconds in until I looked down into that inky black abyss they've decided to position us over and discovered a newfound phobia of being suspended over bottomless marine trenches. Who would've known.

So I went and played Danger Ball for a few rounds and fuck yeah Danger Ball is awesome and so is VR.
Lol that sounds amazing.

First impression after initial setup. Difficult to get the headset in position by doing exactly what the onscreen instructions say. I found it difficult to completely block out my peripheral vision after it said to lower the headband, so I've got it higher than the video recommends.

After that, mind blown by seeing the PS4 menu on a huge screen in front of me. Literally giggling like a baby!

Got some jobs to do now, so will try some games later. But stage 1 (see if it works) is complete. Time to tidy up all these plastic bags and shit.

can you play this VR headset with just normal ps4 games? What I mean is can you just have an IMAX experience with normal games? sorry if it is a stupid question

Alx

Nope!

Nope nope nope.

You should have waited a bit more (or maybe you're lucky you didn't ;) )... I didn't really feel any vertigo until
the door falls down
, but for a few seconds it was very effective. The shark itself didn't impress me that much though.

DavidDesu

Yes it works fine, I didn't use headphones because of it so far because my setup is superior to most headsets.

This is silly talk. The binaural tech they're using for the 3D sound is guaranteed to be far more immersive than your setup. It simply is, and your missing half the benefit of VR ignoring it.

Can anyone get past Cooking The Books in Office Worker on Job Simulator? Three times it's crashed after the keyboard keys manage to get stuck.

Oh well, time for some main event Rez befire complaining to Game about my download codes not showing up.

I know the kinda funny coverage mentioned this game crashing. Can't believe they didn't patch it based off pre-release impressions.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a quick go and it's really good! No issues in the first race of Driveclub and the Tumble demo seems great. Can't wait to get stuck into it some more.

TheBear

Only tracking issues I'm having is with Job Simulator, although I think that's to do with the camera sitting low, which seems to work perfect for seated experiences.

Interestingly I am much better at Thumper in VR than using the TV.
In VR I went straight through level 3 but on the TV I was getting crossed up and dying a lot.

Only tracking issues I'm having is with Job Simulator, although I think that's to do with the camera sitting low, which seems to work perfect for seated experiences.

The problem with Job Simulator is that it forces you outside of the sweet spot for VR. If I move further in, the swimming disappears but then I'm in the other dudes cubicle.

Lucifon

It's amazing. Sadly I don't get as immersed as my friends and family with VR. They literally scream and shake. I don't do any of that.

I think there's something wrong with me, lol.

I have this exact same feeling...the feeling that I have a screen strapped to my face in front of my eyes rather than that I'm in a world. I think the clarity just isn't quite there yet to convince me.

Planet

Does the PSVR work will with a 5.1 surround sound home theater setup?
Not in the way it's supposed to sound. Use regular stereo headphones for amazing 3D sound. If you refuse, don't complain about missing immersion, because you took that away from yourself.

Chopper

Once it's all set up, is it a viable option to unplug and plug in the headset as and when it is required, or should it be plugged in all the time? I'm thinking storage...

Once it's all set up, is it a viable option to unplug and plug in the headset as and when it is required, or should it be plugged in all the time? I'm thinking storage...

If you don't mind switching HDMI cables everytime you use the headset then that's possible of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom