• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Suave

Is Playroom VR something you can play alone or is it a two or more players kind of thing?

You need at least one other local player for most of the games. There is a showroom where you can unlock "trophies" via a crane game for coins you earned in the other games. You could spend some time alone in that, but it really is for local multiplayer. It's super fun and a great showcase though - and on top of it all it's free (in Europe).

Ordered a bundle I'm Amazon this morning since I was on the fence for a while. They are still up but I imagine after today they won't be. Can't wait for Rez and Rigs.

-

It just occurred to me a potential problem with the rocking in and out GB and a few of you have, does the camera auto focus? If so, it may be focusing in and out ad nauseum which may be an issue if their is any smudge or something else on the lens. I've had 2 Logitech 920s stuck in auto zoom from dust UNDER the clear lens cover - both brand new and the first was a fast exchange on Amazon a while back. Probably caught from the factory. I fixed my second 920 myself but I wouldn't advise it with the PS camera.

Just a thought. I should have mine on Saturday so I will see if I have the same issue but fingers crossed!

You may be onto something here, dirt and dust would make the camera autofocus, and if its inside the clear lens cover no amount of cleaning it would get rid of it. That would also explain why both version of the PS Camera are affected. Brilliant now we need to test the theory and get someone with rocking issue to open their clear lenses cover and clean it to see if it fixes the problem. But who would do it?

ZehDon

Finally got home to settle down with this about 3 hours ago. Wow. The menu of VR Worlds alone was something special. Worth every cent. My wife and I were utterly floored by it. Got tomorrow off of work so I can spend some time with all my purchases. Haven't been this impressed with new hardware in a long, long time. Hats off to Sony.

ryseing

SportsBar VR is Tuesday in America according to Amazon. Kind of a bummer but whatever. Looks like a Thumper purchase is more and more likely.

Or Rez if I hate myself and can't wait.

In a year, if this thing really takes off, I can see Sony releasing a 2nd behind-you camera and even some new controllers... for a proper room-scale experience.

Yep it would make sense, as the PSVR headset is able to track 360 thanks to the lights on back of it.

panda-zebra

Banned
Only ever used cardboard before today, about 1 year ago for an hour or so. Kept well away from anything else knowing that little taste of VR, that really blew me away btw, was enough to prove I needed VR in my life.

The day is here, I've read endless comments from people who tried it and picked at this and grumbled at that... but O M F G...

Eased in with Playroom. The menu and initial interactions had my jaw dropped. Started a 1 player 3d platformer. I sat there and I laughed pretty much uncontrollably for I don't even know, 5 minutes? 10 minutes? I was not prepared for just how convincing this is. The weirdness of locomotion tracking back and forth following the little guy was super weird at first, and then it was just normal.

Absolutely blown the fuck away with this version of VR my ps4 + new headset offers. Shocked, stunned and still giddy as all fuck.

Did some more stuff in playroom, a fun little slot machine thing, and tried 4 or 5 levels of tumble. I have no idea what to do next. I have no idea why I'm sat typing shit at GAF when I could be back in the headset. GRW.

Just over an hour until the mall opens and I can pick up my preorder. Already ate breakfast at a diner... Now what do I do?

Gah... The future is almost here.

Same here waiting in my car getting excited :0

Too bad I have college today so won't be able to play with evening Gaf :/

(It's not like we have SportBarVR in the US anyway to play with Gaf members)

Next Week will be awesome

OK, played my first games. Started with Driveclub on the DS4 because I can't be arsed tidying to get the wheel out. So yeah, started getting a strange seasick feeling literally as soon as I turned the wheels. What does it is the car moving around on its suspension. I'll give it a try with my wheel but I can almost guarantee it won't help. I continued for the rest of the lap driving very smoothly but I started getting that clammy feeling and I decided to quit while I was ahead. So pretty much not forking out full price for Driveclub. Next was VR Worlds and Ocean Descent. Much more comfortable. Totally amazing to be able to look around and see all the marine life as it wafts past. Not sure what I have to do to unlock the other trips but it was good fun. Wanted to try Danger Ball but I couldn't start it. It said triangle to learn more, X to continue but then it sent me back to triangle to learn more. Not sure how to get into it. Was the same for VR Luge.

El-Suave

Next was VR Worlds and Ocean Descent. Much more comfortable. Totally amazing to be able to look around and see all the marine life as it wafts past. Not sure what I have to do to unlock the other trips but it was good fun. Wanted to try Danger Ball but I couldn't start it. It said triangle to learn more, X to continue but then it sent me back to triangle to learn more. Not sure how to get into it. Was the same for VR Luge.

The other games are not included in the demo, it's just Ocean Descent minus the shark. It's a bit misleading that the menu items are there, but I guess if they demoed everything there would be too little incentive to get the full game.

Anyone have the link to the newest (maybe late last week, early this week) thing Sony put out talking about optimal distances and calibration stuff? They touch on it in the video but don't go too in depth.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Couple of hours in and haven't noticed any tracking issue at all. I'm not using a Move though (getting those tomorrow).

One thing I did notice is aliasing and how it seems to "flicker" somewhat. Noticed it the most in that Playroom VR cat game (floors kept shimmering or something). Is it just me or has anyone noticed the same?

My eight-year old daughter played for maybe 30 minutes straight with no issues. Told her to stop since I don't want her getting sick or even have that feeling in her stomache.

Most immersive one I've tried so far is Rush of Blood. Damn. :D

gmoran

Mine's turned up but I'm at work, can't wait to get home.

Battlezone, Driveclub VR, Rush of Blood and Tumble VR are all downloaded and setup on my PS4 ready to go.

Someone (some hardworking, industrious type of fella) should start a thread of PSVR PSN Profile Names, so us Gaffer PSVR players can play togther, perhaps setup a PSN Community or something.

SOLDIER

So for those who have the headset now, how widespread is the tracking/jitteriness issues that Giant Bomb experienced? Mine is arriving today, and I'm rather nervous if I'm one of the unlucky folks who can't get it working properly. So far it seems the majority have been fine with it, and there's reportedly an extra calibration option that GB wasn't aware of, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

spwolf

Gonna have to push back.

No one in NYC will be able to make this work. PSVR seems like the realistic type of solution.

i dont have that kind of room either and I am in Europe... sure, tech can improve a lot in many ways, become extra cheap, be 8K resolution, etc, etc... but roomscale will never be a thing for majority of users.

So for those who have the headset now, how widespread is the tracking/jitteriness issues that Giant Bomb experienced? Mine is arriving today, and I'm rather nervous if I'm one of the unlucky folks who can't get it working properly. So far it seems the majority have been fine with it, and there's reportedly an extra calibration option that GB wasn't aware of, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I didn't have any problems and my setup is basically slapdash to get playing ASAP. The camera is off to the side of my TV on a pile of DVDs. I didn't bother getting my face in the box for optimal positioning during the setup either.

DryvBy

Job Simulator is finally up but it's $29. Anyone play this before? It's one of the best looking experiences for me but $29.99 is steep for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom