• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffvorax

You can do just that. Put your files in a folder (doesn't work at the root because sony) on a USB key. Go into media player, press option and select VR mode.
There are caveats though. It has to be SBS, and I couldn't find a setting to adjust the fov or whatever its called: I felt small, like *really* small. Everybody was a giant.
There was this giant girl...

edit: What do you guys mean by stereoscopic? My video was 3D and I could move my head around just fine. As I said, I think it misses a ton of options but it's there.

This is really interesting, would love to find a guide to set this up and know where to download these videos... well not only your kind of video... :)

MrBS

I've only tried a handful of games so far

Hatsune Miku VR works as advertised, a fun experience for the miku fan
Tumble VR - will probably be my go to example to show someone VR gaming from what I've seen so far. The 1:1 mapping and stationary gameplay leaves zero chance of motion sickness and its easy to pick up and entirely inoffensive.
Super Stardust VR add on - this is hot garbage. The mode is miles away from the fast feel of the original game, slow, clumsy, also spin that camera around to fast and I was feeling sick.
Thumper - My favourite experience so far. Love it. Must play more.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.

Tumble VR - will probably be my go to example to show someone VR gaming from what I've seen so far. The 1:1 mapping and stationary gameplay leaves zero chance of motion sickness and its easy to pick up and entirely inoffensive.
Super Stardust VR add on - this is hot garbage. The mode is miles away from the fast feel of the original game, slow, clumsy, also spin that camera around to fast and I was feeling sick.

try REZ

HigXx

Just got it, played the 3rd person platforms on playroom vr and felt queasy as fuck. Hopefully just cause its my first time with vr. Need to get those VR legs

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Does it work with Netflix ?

Is it good to watch movies with ?

It does.
It is awesome in that youi can a have a 120" screen right infront of your face whilst lying down. Its not that great in that the resolution does hold it back. A HD Video looks more like a DVD in it.
But its awesome nonetheless.
i will use this definately.

Thanks. You kinda confirmed my fear with stardust. Too bad, I love the game

seb

Banned
Impressions sound great - really curious to hear more tracking impressions, because that was/is the thing that has me most on the fence about re-upping. Seems like it works fine, but the DS4 tracking can be fucked on occasion, while the move tracking works better?

The tracking of the headset was flawless for me during my first hour session. I was not in complete darkness but had no direct sunlight in the room, was standing 1.5m from the camera, with the camera on top of my 55" TV.
All in all, as long as you are in the field of view of the camera, you are tracked at 120Hz or whatever (smooth!). No jitter, no drift, no nothing. That's my experience at least.

The controller tracking is another story. In the playroom VR you see the DS4 model in your hands and it sort of jitters a little. But the thing is it doesn't matter there since it has no effect on your perception of presence. I just found that it was good enough and didn't think more of it.
I have yet to try the move controllers.

Yakkity

Only tried one Playroom game and Kitchen and I am hooked already. Graphic fidelity of course suffers a little, but my word the feeling of immersion is flipping fantastic.

Can't wait to let the wife try Kitchen...

ffvorax

The tracking of the headset was flawless for me during my first hour session. I was not in complete darkness but had no direct sunlight in the room, was standing 1.5m from the camera, with the camera on top of my 55" TV.
All in all, as long as you are in the field of view of the camera, you are tracked at 120Hz or whatever (smooth!). No jitter, no drift, no nothing. That's my experience at least.

The controller tracking is another story. In the playroom VR you see the DS4 model in your hands and it sort of jitters a little. But the thing is it doesn't matter there since it has no effect on your perception of presence. I just found that it was good enough and didn't think more of it.
I have yet to try the move controllers.

How did you put the camera on top of the TV? Is there an official "grip" to put it there?

Tankshell

PSN store downloads seem to have crawled to a halt. Started to download the PSVR Demo app off the UK store earlier, eta was about 3 hour to finish, just checked it again and it is now crawling with an estimated 19 hours to finish. Bah.

It does.
It is awesome in that youi can a have a 120" screen right infront of your face whilst lying down. Its not that great in that the resolution does hold it back. A HD Video looks more like a DVD in it.
But its awesome nonetheless.
i will use this definately.

Thank you good to hear !

jim2011

Did you try playing the regular modes in VR? You should be able to and I'm wondering if that is cool.

Thanks for the impressions!

SOLDIER

Where are the options for the advanced calibration? And is it really recommended that the camera be above the TV? I've kept mine at the bottom and it seems to work fine.

The issue with my setup is that there isn't any room for me to put it directly on top of the TV: it would have to be a couple of feet above it, where I have a stand acting as the TV's "roof".

Will0827

Gaf what say you guys on chances of picking up instore today, skipped a midnight launch due to a near by store saying there was a good chance they were going to get units but didn't.

mitchman

Gold Member
Has anyone gotten VR videos to work? This is supposed to support media playback of VR vids, right?

How exactly do you go about that? If it was something you downloaded off your PC, what file format would it need? Just copy to a USB stick and run it?

The new media player 2.50 is supposed to support 360 videos. Should be released in not too long.

PBY

Banned
The new media player 2.50 is supposed to support 360 videos. Should be released in not too long.

Crazy that this isn't available at launch, but I wonder what kind of media this will support. Like, will this work in conjunction with the browser?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did you try playing the regular modes in VR? You should be able to and I'm wondering if that is cool.

Thanks for the impressions!

From what I recall, I don't think you can do this, can you?

Upinsmoke

That eve valkrie is crazy. Drive club made me feel a bit sick and the image quality just isn't there for that game.

On the whole I can't express how much fun it all is, its like when I first discovered how boss gaming was the first time ever all over again.

Newduck

That link says the changes increase of PS4 being able to overheat if you have the headset on top of it. No reason, other than a hardware problem, for the headset to overheat - its just an OLED panel, six-axis tech, and LEDs.

To be clear it's not a headset overheating warning, it's the VR Breakout processing unit and the link does specifically mention that it is a possibility (though they always have that warning on these things). There's a distinct error on the box lights and on screen.

It just seems odd because it's really not in a warm environment or running for very long. I have a second order arriving today i may try the other box to see if is environment, the PS4 or the box itself

The update was pushed to me last night (east coast NA).

Also, for those discussing... 360 degree video does not necessarily mean 3D. 360 degree video is flat but you can look around. 3D is what we want / are wondering about.

cheesekao

We're talking about whether or not the media player can handle 3D (stereoscopic) files. They explicitly state it supports 360 degree videos, but those are 2D and you can just spin around and look around you. Not really a full VR experience.
Sorry but by stereoscopic 3D do you mean, "I have to wear special glasses" 3D?

Gaf what say you guys on chances of picking up instore today, skipped a midnight launch due to a near by store saying there was a good chance they were going to get units but didn't.

Well Best Buy and Amazon had stock online as of maybe an hour ago (last time I checked) so that's an option if you want. In fact Amazon with 2 day Prime shipping is getting mine here with guaranteed delivery on Saturday. So stock still exists, but I imagine it's going to be very hit and miss walking into a store at this point and grabbing one. Not saying it can't happen, but online is probably the only way to guarantee one soon at this point.

I'm loving it and the headset is comfy which was a surprise for me. Hopefully psn is not throwing a fit now so I can buy rigs.

Can you buy Playstation world or is just a demo?

Soi-Fong

Only tried one Playroom game and Kitchen and I am hooked already. Graphic fidelity of course suffers a little, but my word the feeling of immersion is flipping fantastic.

Can't wait to let the wife try Kitchen...

Better warn her. That experience can be pretty debilitating for some folks sensitive to that.

Hasney

Streamed for close to 4 hours and no ill effects. Just feels like coming out of a cinema in daylight when I take it off.

Move stuff is janky as fuck, but RIGS, Rez, Thumper and Headmaster are amazing.

Sorry but by stereoscopic 3D do you mean, "I have to wear special glasses" 3D?

Well, you are wearing special glasses ;)
If you look at this content with non-VR display it looks like two identical videos side by side. The 3D you're thinking of superimposes the 2 images.

Similar concept, different execution

I think the FAQ is saying they do not support what you're talking about. I'm hoping they support the side by side stuff.

Gemeanie

Thumper in VR is crack.

Tried out Danganronpa demo too which was unfortunately very short and Byakuya's and Tohko's faces were blurry but the punishment at the end was pretty well done and managed to trick my brain into shutting my eyes right before getting 'crushed' lol

eroze

Neo Member
Really enjoying my experience so far.

I'm not sure if this is normal but when the camera screen pops up that tells you to center your head within a certain area, is the image supposed to be inverted?

Everything still works fine tracking-wise but for some reason it always shows this inverted image in the preview.

Revo_zero

Has anyone got the retail version of Eve? i absolutely loved the demo, i want to play more so badly but ive heard its a really stripped back experience?

ffvorax

Thumper in VR is crack.

Tried out Danganronpa demo too which was unfortunately very short and Byakuya's and Tohko's faces were blurry but the punishment at the end was pretty well done and managed to trick my brain into shutting my eyes right before getting 'crushed' lol

Where did you get the Danganronpa Demo? :O

Soi-Fong

Has anyone got the retail version of Eve? i absolutely loved the demo, i want to play more so badly but ive heard its a really stripped back experience?

I think you'll be better off with Battlezone or Rigs. There's not much to Eve and the multiplayer isn't that deep and single player is basically non-existent. Add to that, the game also has tons of micro-transactions.

Radec

L1A5sZc.jpg

Super salty, at least we get 25USD PSN credit for compensation.

That sucked. Good thing for me I can still hold off for a month before I buy here in MY.

Fusebox

Banned
The intro to VR Worlds is absolutely epic, probably the best thing to start with imo, it does for VR what the THX intros do for 5.1. Just a short sweep taste of the new tech.

Yes, still needs to connect the PS VR video box to the PS4, but you can then connect your PC to the box.

Basically: set it up as you usually do, but instead of connecting PS4 to the conversion unit, connect your PC to it instead.
Interesting. Does this work for games or only movies?

Not yet but Amazon had digital for 20 bucks so I picked it up earlier last week. Will play it Saturday.

Revo_zero

I think you'll be better off with Battlezone or Rigs. There's not much to Eve and the multiplayer isn't that deep and single player is basically non-existent. Add to that, the game also has tons of micro-transactions.

i did try RIGs, didnt really enjoy it, i do see though that the PS4 launch has added two more story missions to Eve, daily challenges and co op survival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom