• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuth

So, I'm turning 30 this week and having a get together at my place before hitting the town with my friends. I'm thinking of firing up the PSVR.

What, by everyone's measure, is the best social experience on PSVR? Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? Playroom?

I set "I Expect You to Die" up at Christmas and the family all gathered around to help each other solve the puzzles. It was a hit.

YMMV, though.

bumpkin

I wish Werewolves Within had a demo so I could at least try it out. Been seeing a lot of good buzz about it here, but even with everything I've read, I still don't get what it's about or how the gameplay actually works.

majik13

I wish Werewolves Within had a demo so I could at least try it out. Been seeing a lot of good buzz about it here, but even with everything I've read, I still don't get what it's about or how the gameplay actually works.

Its like a social game or kinda like playing a board game. You can play versions of this game in real life. Anyways, you should just get it, its great. The game has a pretty in depth but quick tutorial but it doesnt really click until you actually play a few rounds, imo.
For the most part you are either trying to lie or not about what random role the game gave you and also trying to figure out who else is lieing or telling the truth. You dont know who the werewolves are, and no one knows anyones role, except for what people say which could be true or false. Each role has different abilities and win states.

Its nice because once you are in a good group, its easy to loose track of time and just keep playing, matches last like 10 mins and then a new one starts almost immediatly with the same group. So not much down time.

ChouGoku

Holy shit, I was playing Crystal Rift and 2 bad things happened after I played around with some settings. 1st was my first PSVR sub 20fps slowdown. I felt sick to my stomach and I have VR legs and had to go back to the main menu and restart the level which fixed everything. 2nd is that I didn't notice the jump scare modifier in the game until today and the settings are easy, normal, and extreme. I thought extreme would just mean somewhat scarier, but no they mean extreme. When I reset the level I was playing out of nowhere a zombie like head comes flying towards my face at like 100 mph. My whole body tensed up, I closed my eyes, and am sure my heart skipped a beat or 2. Considering how tame normal mode is, that was terrifying and amazing, I had to quit to let my heart rest.

My most played PSVR game. I highly recommend it. Occasionally it gets streamed on Twitch, which will quickly give you a general idea of how it works. But the best way to learn is by just playing and getting accustomed to how each role works within a round. I was hesitant to buy it at first, but l am thrilled that I did.

valeu

i think i'm the only one on here raving about volume. i finally finished last night. there's a lot of content - 130 levels. it will keep you busy and it's really fantastic in vr....for me it's as good as thumper and rez infinite. those are my top faves

Shoeless

I finally just updated the PSVR Games thread with the games I missed while I was banned, if I missed any games feel free to tell me. I know I missed some apps but I don't feel like posting links to websites for apps until they release, so don't worry if I didn't add Apps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

I hadn't been paying attention to recent releases and didn't know that Apollo VR historical simulation was coming out this month. I'll wait a little bit to see what the quality of the experience is like, but if it's remotely decent, I'll probably bite on that.

Also, welcome back.

JordanN

Banned
Has there been any news/updates on whether PSVR will support 3D movies?

I'm in the mood to buy movies again and it's a factor in which version I pick up (come on Sony, the device was literally made to support this stuff).

sinkfla87

So fellow PSVR owners, I finally experienced my first real bout of motion sickness. I was playing RIGS for the first time (full game, not demo) and about 30 minutes in I started to feel very dizzy and lo and behold, I had to run to the bathroom to vomit profusely for 5 minutes straight. I was using the "look around to turn body" setting. Has anyone else had this issue with that setting, and do you think the right stick turning method is less nauseating? And also, why the fuck is this game so hard?!!!

DjRalford

So fellow PSVR owners, I finally experienced my first real bout of motion sickness. I was playing RIGS for the first time (full game, not demo) and about 30 minutes in I started to feel very dizzy and lo and behold, I had to run to the bathroom to vomit profusely for 5 minutes straight. I was using the "look around to turn body" setting. Has anyone else had this issue with that setting, and do you think the right stick turning method is less nauseating? And also, why the fuck is this game so hard?!!!

I lasted about a minute in the Rigd demo when PSVR released and i felt queesy the rest of the day, i played it a few more times for short stints over the couple of weeks following that and actually managed to finish the demo round without feeling sick in the end.

Grinchy

Banned

That turning method sucks.

My brother had a problem with RIGS the first day he had VR and then every time he tried it after that it was fine. But definitely don't use that horrid head turning option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7VJHwuYag

That's a 2 hour stream of me playing, unfortunately I don't think I had it recording my voice!

Honestly though it needs more players, last night took a while to get a game, but once you're in you can easily lose 2-3 hours playing it. Great game and probably top of my list of recommendations right now. I wish Ubi put out a 5-10 play demo or something, you couldn't really do timed as sometimes you could be waiting 5 minutes for a group.

Grinchy

Banned
The Bound patch still isn't out yet. I feel like it's been forever. I bought the game before Thanksgiving and stopped playing when I read about the new camera method being added. Now it's 2 months later and I keep remembering here and there that it's sitting there waiting to be played.

gmoran

When i first got my PSVR I tried Driveclub VR (I have a full racing rig and that's how I tried it) and it immediately made me feel woozy. So I put it to one side to get my proper VR legs. Its the only game that ever did that.

With the news of the imminent arrival of Dirt Rally and it being in the January sale for £16.49 I thought I'd better give it another shot.

OMFG, this changes everything for driving/racing games.

To start with Evolution did the title no favors forcing you to play a trial first with the BAC Mono, probably none of the worst cars for motion sickness. Also its a bit of a drab looking track in VR (the whole VR experience is definitely dimmer than normal DC).

But none of this matters. With a good wheel setup this is just sublime. You forget about controls completely and your brain does 3d route-finding or collision detection or whatever it is that your brain does when you actually drive so that its just awesome. There's a little town circuit in Chile that's an absolute blast in the Mini Copper and again with the Caterham r500; and instead of having to drive round carefully memorising all of the braking points and turn-in points my brain just knew how to drive round instinctively. In two days I've worked through a good portion of the Tour, something I was never able to do with the normal game (where I concentrated on hot laps, learning courses, learning cars). Its just so ace, an absolute game changer.

I could do quite a bit of nit-picking, some courses have not transferred across well and are drab dirges and I don't think the sound is as good. But I think its irrelevant because it just feels so good, so much like real driving.

If you have a decent wheel setup and have your VR legs then this is a must buy IMO

Bring on Dirt Rally

When i first got my PSVR I tried Driveclub VR (I have a full racing rig and that's how I tried it) and it immediately made me feel woozy. So I put it to one side to get my proper VR legs. Its the only game that ever did that.

With the news of the imminent arrival of Dirt Rally and it being in the January sale for £16.49 I thought I'd better give it another shot.

OMFG, this changes everything for driving/racing games.

To start with Evolution did the title no favors forcing you to play a trial first with the BAC Mono, probably none of the worst cars for motion sickness. Also its a bit of a drab looking track in VR (the whole VR experience is definitely dimmer than normal DC).

But none of this matters. With a good wheel setup this is just sublime. You forget about controls completely and your brain does 3d route-finding or collision detection or whatever it is that your brain does when you actually drive so that its just awesome. There's a little town circuit in Chile that's an absolute blast in the Mini Copper and again with the Caterham r500; and instead of having to drive round carefully memorising all of the braking points and turn-in points my brain just knew how to drive round instinctively. In two days I've worked through a good portion of the Tour, something I was never able to do with the normal game (where I concentrated on hot laps, learning courses, learning cars). Its just so ace, an absolute game changer.

I could do quite a bit of nit-picking, some courses have not transferred across well and are drab dirges and I don't think the sound is as good. But I think its irrelevant because it just feels so good, so much like real driving.

If you have a decent wheel setup and have your VR legs then this is a must buy IMO

Bring on Dirt Rally

I've still not pulled out my G29 wheel, but have played a hell of a lot of DRIVECLUBVR

sinkfla87

That turning method sucks.

My brother had a problem with RIGS the first day he had VR and then every time he tried it after that it was fine. But definitely don't use that horrid head turning option.

I lasted about a minute in the Rigd demo when PSVR released and i felt queesy the rest of the day, i played it a few more times for short stints over the couple of weeks following that and actually managed to finish the demo round without feeling sick in the end.

Thank you both for the info! I'm glad I'm not alone and just "allergic to VR" lol. Not happy that other people got sick though. I'll go back to stick turning method and see if it helps. Also, anyone know how to git gud at RIGS? I am terrible at this game haha.

DC1

Just picked up the VR headset yesterday. Haven't opened the box because I'm paralyzed a the breath of gaming options an inevitable stinkers.

I'm pulling the trigger on EVE. Valkyrie this evening and I'm buying one more game -

Any recommendations (I'll continue to step through the threads history to see what I can gather)?.

Just picked up the VR headset yesterday. Haven't opened the box because I'm paralyzed a the breath of gaming options an inevitable stinkers.

I'm pulling the trigger on EVE. Valkyrie this evening and I'm buying one more game -

Any recommendations (I'll continue to step through the threads history to see what I can gather)?.

Werewolves Within!

But if that's not your thing, then maybe RIGS/Driveclub or Battlezone, both offer long lasting replayability. Batman is good but it's pretty much a once you're done you're done.

BUT yeah I can't express enough how great Werewolves is, and it's on sale at the moment.

Also at the moment I have an unopened copy of Eve and Robinson if anyone wants them at £28+postage, which is what I paid.

DC1

Werewolves Within!

But if that's not your thing, then maybe RIGS/Driveclub or Battlezone, both offer long lasting replayability. Batman is good but it's pretty much a once you're done you're done.

BUT yeah I can't express enough how great Werewolves is, and it's on sale at the moment.

Also at the moment I have an unopened copy of Eve and Robinson if anyone wants them at £28+postage, which is what I paid.

Thanks for the quick response. This is what I wanted.

Although not expressed, I absolutely did not want a short lived experience, thus wanted to avoid Batman. I'll take a look at Werewolves Within this afternoon. It's getting a lot of love.

Whats the rub on Robinson? It's looks freaken beautiful! Plus it sounds like I can get my original Ghost back.

*Splinter

Thank you both for the info! I'm glad I'm not alone and just "allergic to VR" lol. Not happy that other people got sick though. I'll go back to stick turning method and see if it helps. Also, anyone know how to git gud at RIGS? I am terrible at this game haha.
Have you done the trials? They act as pretty good training zones.

guys I have a free questions

1. I don't wear glasses. I am struggling to find the best way to put the headset on. if I am looking for a more snuggle fit, to block any external light, I notice that the lens get foggy, maybe from my breathing or fore head. I don't know if I should put the head strap lower toward my neck, have no idea. any suggestions?

2. why on earth my lens get smudges after I play when I am not wearing glasses? my eyelashes ? breathing? anyway to prevent this from happening?

3. what is the best way to clean the lens? the cloth that comes is not that good.

thanks guys

Thanks for the quick response. This is what I wanted.

Although not expressed, I absolutely did not want a short lived experience, thus wanted to avoid Batman. I'll take a look at Werewolves Within this afternoon. It's getting a lot of love.

Whats the rub on Robinson? It's looks freaken beautiful! Plus it sounds like I can get my original Ghost back.

It's a gorgeous walking simulator with some puzzles thrown in, certainly not worth the RRP of £55 but for what I paid £28 I'm happy with it. Werewolves Within could be amazing if not for the struggle to find more players, i'm hoping once more VR headsets become available word of mouth might get more people purchasing it.

guys I have a free questions

1. I don't wear glasses. I am struggling to find the best way to put the headset on. if I am looking for a more snuggle fit, to block any external light, I notice that the lens get foggy, maybe from my breathing or fore head. I don't know if I should put the head strap lower toward my neck, have no idea. any suggestions?

2. why on earth my lens get smudges after I play when I am not wearing glasses? my eyelashes ? breathing? anyway to prevent this from happening?

3. what is the best way to clean the lens? the cloth that comes is not that good.

thanks guys

I use Zeiss lens wipes other people use camera lens pens, both seem good solution.

Grinchy

Banned

I got to the point where I could play RIGS for hours at a time without any issues and I have all of the comfort settings turned off.

Honestly to get good you just have to kinda master the 3 different modes. Know when to heal, when to boost, and when to be in the damage mode. It's all about agility and speeding around the map. Zip behind cover when you've taken some damage and go into healing mode. Pick up those yellow orbs to increase your overdrive mode. Almost never be shooting at someone if you're not in damage mode, and use that melee! Melee is awesome.

BTails

'Cuz of motion sickness or being too freaked out?

The demo is so good!

Just got through the demo last night, first time I'd played with no motion sickness! Not really scary, but then again I've played the demo many times previously, I'm sure the actual game will freak me out ;)

Shoeless

Any news on the Robinson: The Journey Move patch?

Wow, good point. I had completely forgotten that there was talk of patching in Move functionality. I'm not sure how they'd implement it without a Nav controller though, unless they want you to hold a DS4 in your other hand to actually move around, or patch in teleporting as well.

Lagamorph

Just tried out Loading Human for the first time.
I think it looks good and the plot sounds interesting from the back of the box, but the controls with move controllers are a bit all over the place.
It's also mother first VR experience I've had that's made me feel nauseous. I had to stop after 10 minutes and take off the headset. Never had an issue with Batman, Battlefront, Eve Valkyrie, Call of Duty Jackal Assault or Until Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom