• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will be “priced as a new gaming platform,” says Sony boss

Kinthalis

Banned
Interesting that they are using a 1080p panel. Sony did just become the first company to put a 4k screen in a 5.5 smartphone with the Xperia z5 premium. Thats a 806ppi vs 386ppi for the 5.7 1080p screen Sony is using the PSVR.

I don't think they want to add the overhead of rendering a 4K screen to the already pretty hefty rendering requirements.

autoduelist

That's not surprising at all, but people don't generally think VR is going to be big in any way right? As long at its capabilities satisfy the niche willing to pay for the experience.

Short term? No, like any new technology there will be early adopters.

Long term? It'll be massive. I'm not sure whether that means 10 years, 20 years, or 50 years, but at some point a great many people will be living a good portion of their lives inside VR.

Sound ridiculous? So would saying that a great number of people would live in front of screens for 8-15 hours a day (computers, tv) in 1900. Technology changes us.

It won't just be gaming, of course. Virtual vacations, tours, virtual cards with your poker buddies, virtual meetings, virtual malls, whatever. People hunkered down in small little apartments spending most of their stationary time exploring grand vistas.

Good or bad, it's coming. Plenty of us will opt out, but once the tech 'hits', it's going to hit hard.

So what people are saying is if it is $299 or something of that order, it won't be worth buying?

Isn't that the same as saying VR isn't that persuasive? People drop $300 to upgrade their PC just in order to up the performance of a few newer titles and everyone cheers them on. They fork out for a 4K tv over a perfectly good HD TV. Or they upgrade their phone once a year for only marginal improvements.

Either VR is amazing or it isn't. Which is it? if its amazing then I'll pay. If it isn't $300 worth of amazing, and I'd rather buy a new recliner or upgrade my 6 to a 6S, then VR has been over-hyped.

rjinaz

I choose to look at it as a new platform. I get it, you won't do that because it requires a PS4. Ok sure, if you don't already have a PS4 you're probably not seriously considering PSVR anyway.

It's a VR platform with it's own games that happens to run on a PS4. I'm cool with that. But then I'm excited about VR. I think a lot of people will change their minds eventually but this price is for the early adopters anyway. Hopefully there is enough of us to keep the platform healthy.

Vena

$99 or bust.

Using Sony's potent graph presentation style, I've cracked the code, Zhuge!*

4n4HRwY.png

See MC threads for reference.

So what people are saying is if it is $299 or something of that order, it won't be worth buying?

Isn't that the same as saying VR isn't that persuasive? People drop $300 to upgrade their PC just in order to up the performance of a few newer titles and everyone cheers them on. They fork out for a 4K tv over a perfectly good HD TV. Or they upgrade their phone once a year for only marginal improvements.

Either VR is amazing or it isn't. Which is it? if its amazing then I'll pay. If it isn't $300 worth of amazing, and I'd rather buy a new recliner or upgrade my 6 to a 6S, then VR has been over-hyped.
VR requires media. If there is media it will succeed. It won't succeed though because people won't buy a $300 to $400 peripheral that requires another investment of $350.

STEaMkb

Sony has also been demoing eye-tracking with PS4 in the form of this demo for Infamous: Second Son.

According to Wired's Chris Kohler, on a podcast some time ago, he got to try a prototype of Morpheus with that eye tracking built in.

I wonder if this is anything. From VR Focus yesterday:

"Mixed Bag has even teased that players will be able to utilise a unique control scheme that has been made possible with VR, likely referring to the kit’s head-tracking technology."

Hmm.

jaypah

"Mixed Bag has even teased that players will be able to utilise a unique control scheme that has been made possible with VR, likely referring to the kit’s head-tracking technology."

Hmm.

No way they got eye tracking in, right? I would bow down if they did this in 2015.

I'd rather they delay OR by a month or two and bundle the motion controller.

I really doubt its' about timing at this point. From the hands-on demos out there, it sounds like the Touch controllers work. I imagine Facebook wants to see some sort of return on the headset before committing to mass producing the controllers.

Has to be cheaper than the competition, whatever the price is. Under $300 probably.

They're innately cheaper than the competition, since they're using the PS4 as the computing device. Both Oculus & Vive will require the user to have a pretty beefy PC - the sort you just can't build for $400. Plus millions already own a PS4, while I doubt that many people have a capable PC.

And right now, it's hard to say if competition is even a factor. Oculus & Vive need a few years for prices to drop, and the public to get used to the tech. PS VR will be the 'first headset' for a lot of people. That thing your friend buys for $400, and brings around to parties. These companies shouldn't be worrying about beating each other, they should focus on getting the tech in the faces of as many people as possible.

Masayasu Ito, Sony Japan exec, said in an interview yesterday they're aiming to get PSVR price as low as possible.

But that doesn't mean much when we don't know what "low" is.

Right. But I think that adds weight to the idea that they are shipping this thing sans camera, move controllers, etc. Add to it the fact that PSVR ships without headphones and consists of a single screen and I would be shocked if it launches a cent over $299.99.

People need to remember that Sony has been very smart when it comes to pricing their past few launches. The PS4 being $399 was huge, the PS Camera only being $60 was smart, even the Vita (which eventually suffered because of lack of market interest and high hidden memory card prices) shocked with it's launch price of $249. You have to remember what a huge deal that was and the turnaround it signaled for Sony's PS pricing strategy after the misstep that was the PS3.

My hope is that they actually get PSVR down to $249 as well (with the camera and any auxiliary controllers being additional costs). That would hit hard, but I think $299 is more reasonable and still a very good price as an entry point into the world of VR.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You'll tend to have that when a product hasn't even been released yet.

Welcome to every VR thread, ever.

Thats not true though. We have heard of confirmed plans for the oculus rift now. there's no name dropping, teaser or anything concrete from sony about their future plan for non-gaming application so far. And its suppose to launch not long after oculus rift.

DocGaf

Neo Member
How much of a loss is Sony going to take per unit?

This is a massive bet for them. I hope it pays off.

I hope some of the R&D costs have already been spent on their personal 3D viewer.
That thing was around $800 street price and had no head tracking or anything. It came with ear buds but it wasn't nearly as complex as the PS VR is going to be I would think.
So with $1000 msrp for a 3D viewer my guess is the PS VR is going to be at least $400. The broader appeal, and the possibility of making money off games and apps may help but I don't really see how they are going to come in at less than $400 with the display they are using without taking a major loss.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
No way they got eye tracking in, right? I would bow down if they did this in 2015.

Yeah, foveated rendering would be a huge win for VR quality on console hardware. Not to mention fun potential with eye contact and gaze based gameplay features. ("don't look away!")

jobrro

$299US or better for the headset and I am day one. Already have the PS Camera but don't have any Move controllers.

Any hints whether we are getting newer/improved versions of the Move controllers?

Also when it everyone expecting release details, at PSX in December maybe?

EGM1966

How much of a loss is Sony going to take per unit?

This is a massive bet for them. I hope it pays off.
I reckon the lowest they'd go is a tiny loss on headset that one game purchase pushed into profit. Can't see them going big time loss leader anytime soon.

DieH@rd

Banned
Interesting that they are using a 1080p panel. Sony did just become the first company to put a 4k screen in a 5.5 smartphone with the Xperia z5 premium. Thats a 806ppi vs 386ppi for the 5.7 1080p screen Sony is using the PSVR.

Let us not forget that PS4 is not using HDMI 2.0, so they are limited by the signal bandwith. 1080p is best possible solution for them, both cable-wise and rendering-wise.

I hope some of the R&D costs have already been spent on their personal 3D viewer.
That thing was around $800 street price and had no head tracking or anything. It came with ear buds but it wasn't nearly as complex as the PS VR is going to be I would think.

The most expensive things on that 3D viewer were two 0.7" 720p true OLED screens and complicated lensing. Those small displays are used only for highly specific and expensive gear [like professional cameras, digital binoculars, medical gear...].

Morpheus on the other hand is much more simple device. Housing, LEDs, processing box, a single 120hz screen, and two lenses. Ordinary people can almost create one for themselves at home. :)

BibiMaghoo

£200 is the most I would pay, and even that is pushing it for a console only headset. £300 or more will be a disaster, hardly anyone will buy it.

I'm usually first in to buy everything, although I think I'll take a wait and see approach on this one, I bought move, all cameras and look how they turned out. Mind you I have no problem with the pricing, I just don't want another dead peripheral laying around

Fat4all

Banned
I don't think Sony is going to sell hardware at loss ever again. Lowest they go for will be at break even price.

Razor-thin margins are what Sony want to do from now on.

If selling it at $299 is selling at a loss, expect it to be $349.

It's gonna take a while for PSVR to be successful, I can only imagine how much R&D cost them in total...

Breads

Banned
I already have a GearVR and DK2 with nothing interesting to do with them. I don't mind the price - just give me things to play with first.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yeah, this isn't happening.

Bgamer90

Banned
I can't see this being popular at all if it's more than $200.

It's also facing something that the motion control craze of last gen didn't have to go through; People could easily get a good sense of the experience by watching other people play. You can't do that with VR. It's something you have to try out on your own. Store demos will help but demos shown on forms of media (e.g.: TV) probably won't have that great of an impact. Can't really do nothing more than cut back and forth from footage of a game and footage of a person wearing the head gear.

jaypah

Yeah, foveated rendering would be a huge win for VR quality on console hardware. Not to mention fun potential with eye contact and gaze based gameplay features. ("don't look away!")

Then I'd lose every time. Even mildy scary stuff is terrifying in VR. I look away, close my eyes...hell, playing Affected I straight up took the Rift off and finished the level on the TV screen because FUCK THAT!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I wouldn't think they would render anything at 4k, but a higher ppi would certainly improve screen door effect.

correct me if i am wrong, but it doesn't work that way if the content Is still on 1080p. T

vpance

Hmm.

SMI eye tracking demo at Siggraph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONJIXPJMek

Looks like a really compact solution. I hope it makes it in, that would make it worth 2 new gaming platforms.

Thewonandonly

It will be all about the games. Little gimmicks and 10 minute experiences? No way will it be worth $300. Amazing AAA lengthy content you can play with comfortably? People will shell out whatever is required to play it.

Basically if No Mans Sky works in VR it will sell tons.
Bro if no man skies has VR support I don't think my high ass will be able to take it and I will have a hard attack. Anyway on subject I will easily pay 400 for it if it's as good as the oculus and runs well. This will be cheaper them having to buy a 1000 dollar pc along with oculus.

Top Bottom