• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will be “priced as a new gaming platform,” says Sony boss

Fnord

what price were you people expecting XD

This. A thousand times this.

Go check out the MSRP of a Samsung GearVR. And that doesn't even have a display or most of the electronics required for VR, instead relying on a $500-900 cell phone.

Anyone who expected less than $299 was out to lunch. Look at the hardware and compare it to other VR sets

I still think it needs to be cheaper than that to reach mainstream adoption but if it has solid software support it should do OK.

pixelbox

$350.00 with the MOVE, headset, and camera. $200.00 for just the headset. Any more and they lose any advantage being early IMO.

TalonJH

$300 is about my limit for an impulse buy. Otherwise it's in the camp of I'll get this sometime in the future. I already have the camera.

350$ for a PlayStation VR with Move and PS4 camera sounds like a great deal, I doubt they'll manage that though.

Even without the camera, I'd bite for 350$ or even 400$ at launch, I really, REALLY want this.

DieH@rd

Banned
350$ for a PlayStation VR with Move and PS4 camera sounds like a great deal, I doubt they'll manage that though.

Even without the camera, I'd bite for 350$ or even 400$ at launch, I really, REALLY want this.

Entire PS4 [who have thousands of individual pieces, starting from ~$100 APU and ~$80 RAM] with DS4 and a game [or two] is sold for $350-400. I really don't think that Sony will have hard time to drop the price of PSVR [which is a 10x more simpler device] to a reasonable level.

For example, here is what is in Oculus Rift DK1:
rJxj4HJ4tKBqvcvW

There is really nothing expensive in Palmer's VR devices [which are basis for all modern VR devices]. The biggest cost is a display, and even that is a ~$50-60 expense when they are purchased in bulk.

JackHerer

I'll wait for the PC version of VR. I have a PS4 but ultimately unless they have some really interesting exclusives, buying this would be a complete waste of money for me. I already own a DK2.

pixelbox

Entire PS4 [who have thousands of individual pieces, starting from ~$100 APU and ~$80 RAM] with DS4 and a game [or two] is sold for $350-400. I really don't think that Sony will have hard time to drop the price of PSVR [which is a 10x more simpler device] to a reasonable level.

For example, here is what is in Oculus Rift DK1:
rJxj4HJ4tKBqvcvW

There is really nothing expensive in Palmer's VR devices [which are basis for all modern VR devices]. The biggest cost is a display, and even that is a ~$50-60 expense when they are purchased in bulk.

It's the damn screens that are expensive.

FleetFeet

SMI eye tracking demo at Siggraph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONJIXPJMek

Looks like a really compact solution. I hope it makes it in, that would make it worth 2 new gaming platforms.

That's also the same company that demoed their eye tracking tech with Infamous: Second Son. So if they can easily implement cameras into HMDs, would it only require firmware update for foveated rendering?

Bro if no man skies has VR support I don't think my high ass will be able to take it and I will have a hard attack. Anyway on subject I will easily pay 400 for it if it's as good as the oculus and runs well. This will be cheaper them having to buy a 1000 dollar pc along with oculus.

Smokin' that good good, I see lol...

I agree tho, NMS with VR would not only be a game changer, but a life changer.

malfcn

Even if morpheus' single screen is $100 [which I really doubt it is], the rest of the hardware that is needed is mostly very cheap.

They have to price it carefully. A $100 screen and some components easily means $200-300 retail. Unless they have a cost reduction road map or expect to sell it like hot cakes, they can't afford to sell it with no margins.

pixelbox

Even if morpheus' single screen is $100 [which I really doubt it is], the rest of the hardware that is needed is mostly very cheap.

Liike I said earlier, 350 for the camera, headset, and move or 200 for the headset is the sweet spot. But knowing Sony...$450 for the bundle and and $350 for the headset...

Reallink

correct me if i am wrong, but it doesn't work that way if the content Is still on 1080p. T

Screen door effect (visible pixel and sub pixel structure) is a direct result of the panel resolution. A 4k panel, even running 1080p upscaled, would still have 4x as many physical pixels to work with and would reduce SDE proportionately.

Chances are I will pass on Sony's offering of VR for more than a couple reasons.
At this point, from what I understand, it will be a closed system. From a value stand point it isn't worth it to me.
The PS4 and the VR's output isn't compatible with Oculus and possibly Vive. Again from a value PoV it isn't worth it.
Probably the biggest negative is Sony's piss poot track record of support their playstation products. The move, vita (also my admitted controversial opinion of the PS4 being poorly supported), has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
All of these add up to a hard sell for me.

Flandy

Is there even any chance No Mans Sky will have VR support? I know hello games got a dev kit but isn't moving with an analog stick in first person VR supposed to be really nausea inducing?

Chances are I will pass on Sony's offering of VR for more than a couple reasons.
At this point, from what I understand, it will be a closed system. From a value stand point it isn't worth it to me.
The PS4 and the VR's output isn't compatible with Oculus and possibly Vive. Again from a value PoV it isn't worth it.
Probably the biggest negative is Sony's piss poot track record of support their playstation products. The move, vita (also my admitted controversial opinion of the PS4 being poorly supported), has left a very bad taste in my mouth.
The move had quite a lot of games you know. And with regards to the PS4 being poorly supported; have you SEEN the schedule for 2016??

I agree about the Vita, but that's kinda out of their hands now I think. The market just didn't want it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there even any chance No Mans Sky will have VR support? I know hello games got a dev kit but isn't moving with an analog stick in first person VR supposed to be really nausea inducing?

Moving forward and back is OK, but strafing is not good. Cockpit parts of NMS should work perfect in VR, but ground sections would need to be adapted. At least, the first person movement is really slow, so that's a good start.

Aenima

There's a difference between dropping $400 on a console and dropping $400 on what will be seen by most as a peripheral.

The Logitech g29 is just a steering wheel and costs 400$. I really dont know what ppl was expecting when there are headsets going for 300$.

UrbanRats

I can't see this being popular at all if it's more than $200.

It's also facing something that the motion control craze of last gen didn't have to go through; People could easily get a good sense of the experience by watching other people play. You can't do that with VR. It's something you have to try out on your own. Store demos will help but demos shown on forms of media (e.g.: TV) probably won't have that great of an impact. Can't really do nothing more than cut back and forth from footage of a game and footage of a person wearing the head gear.

Sure, but the experience (when you try it) is also much more powerful than the Wii ever was, so there's that.

Hopefully word of mouth will be strong enough to generate buzz.

The move had quite a lot of games you know. And with regards to the PS4 being poorly supported; have you SEEN the schedule for 2016??

I agree about the Vita, but that's kinda out of their hands now I think. The market just didn't want it.

Yes, Move had a decent support even though Sony was not in a good position with PS3 since its launch and was losing a lot of money. This time PS4 is doing great for them and we will surely going to see great support from their studios (recently opened new studio for this) along with Indie support they have been getting we can say that PS VR going to be worth to buy. Also we have to remember that development time and cost has increased this gen which is why we have big gaps between AAA exclusives, but we have gap fillers from Sony still using some Indies and remasters along with good flow of big 3rd party games. So saying sony is not supporting PS4 is very stupid considering their next year line up and announced upcoming games so far.

FleetFeet

Liike I said earlier, 350 for the camera, headset, and move or 200 for the headset is the sweet spot. But knowing Sony...$450 for the bundle and and $350 for the headset...

They aren't going to add $150 to the cost of a bundle when the camera is only $60 (and it seems to have great deals all the time, currently $45 on amazon right now) and move controllers aren't that expensive, but they do have high margins for Sony, but I can see them letting that profit go for the sake of mass adoption for a new platform.

I imagine in a VR mode they would just remove any input from the analog stick, so as to prevent people from getting sick from using it.

vpance

That's also the same company that demoed their eye tracking tech with Infamous: Second Son. So if they can easily implement cameras into HMDs, would it only require firmware update for foveated rendering?

If it's not built into the base unit I don't see it happening as an upgradable accessory for PSVR (unlike DK2), which would be a shame since I doubt a PSVR2 would come out earlier than PS5. Apparently it and other similar tech only costs around $100 or so.

Anyone who expected less than $299 was out to lunch. Look at the hardware and compare it to other VR sets

I still think it needs to be cheaper than that to reach mainstream adoption but if it has solid software support it should do OK.

You have to sell to the hardcore before you can sell to the mainstream.

It will have a price cut down the line, but initially it will need games to sell.

Danlord

If it's not built into the base unit I don't see it happening as an upgradable accessory for PSVR (unlike DK2), which would be a shame since I doubt a PSVR2 would come out earlier than PS5. Apparently it and other similar tech only costs around $100 or so.

If Sony were to use this eye-tracking for some kind of foveated rendering, it would be directly built into the PlayStation VR unit. I can't see it clipping to be part of the lenses on the outside, since it needs to see all your eye and cannot obstruct the lenses itself, or else it defeats the point of the HMD so it would have to be integrated internally.

As for cost, something similar like $100 or so would have to account for cost of materials to integrate into a wearable unit, whereas Sony's HMD will be modified to house it and thus lower a little cost there. Combine with Sony buying bulk purchasing the components would also lower the cost and depending on the arrangement of profit margins or royalty fees.
The economies of scale for something like this could potentially be in the millions in the first year for Sony. I believe that Sony would easily get 500k pre-orders for the PlayStation VR launch next year, so that would decrease the cost for integrating this.

kyser73

Unless there's been a substantial redesign of PSVR, Shu & House have already said it won't be in the launch version and n the grounds of cost.

Of course, that was over a year ago, so who knows?

magnumpy

If Sony were to use this eye-tracking for some kind of foveated rendering, it would be directly built into the PlayStation VR unit. I can't see it clipping to be part of the lenses on the outside, since it needs to see all your eye and cannot obstruct the lenses itself, or else it defeats the point of the HMD so it would have to be integrated internally.

As for cost, something similar like $100 or so would have to account for cost of materials to integrate into a wearable unit, whereas Sony's HMD will be modified to house it and thus lower a little cost there. Combine with Sony buying bulk purchasing the components would also lower the cost and depending on the arrangement of profit margins or royalty fees.
The economies of scale for something like this could potentially be in the millions in the first year for Sony. I believe that Sony would easily get 500k pre-orders for the PlayStation VR launch next year, so that would decrease the cost for integrating this.

sony already makes cellphones, forget about purchasing the components from a third party, they already manufacture all the needed components.

Danlord

sony already makes cellphones, forget about purchasing the components from a third party, they already manufacture all the needed components.

Yeah I was just thinking, if it's done mostly by software and regular camera lenses, Sony mass produces lenses themselves and that would cost very little especially since Sony supply Apple for the iPhone camera's.
The remaining piece would be the proprietary software the company will have developed and Sony could license that for their SDK or even use their own.

I was thinking if that company were using maybe depth cameras or something different but if it's just a regular camera, possibly at a really high refresh rate to have very smooth tracking of the eyes, possibly 240hz then it would be up to the software integration really.

Dr. Kaos

Banned

The move and camera don't cost $150. It should be $299 for everything and $199 for the headset alone.

Most of the sales are going to be to people who don't have a camera or PSmove (and why would they? 99% of games don't support them) and these people will have to drop $300.

Thing is Sony is going to sell out no matter what they price the thing at (and it looks like they're aiming for $299-$399 SKUs). It will very likely include a few demos and maybe even a game. There will be demo stations in every Best Buy with people lining up to try it. People will be VR-struck and throw their money at the register. You know it'll happen.

They can always slash the price by $100 a year later, when the accessory isn't instantly sold out anymore.

I'm buying it day 1. Sony needs to be rewarded for diving into VR. Microsoft needs to smell the coffee and stop fucking around with only AR. AR is cool, but much, much harder, needs mobile computing and will therefore mature years later than VR.

vpance

If you see the vid I posted above it's 2 tiny cameras (infrared I guess) that can actually sit pretty far below your eyes like on the bottom of your glasses, pointing up. That makes it very integratable into any HMD. IMO it would be foolish not to include this..

Danlord

If you see the vid I posted above it's 2 tiny cameras (infrared I guess) that can actually sit pretty far below your eyes like on the bottom of your glasses, pointing up. That makes it very integratable into any HMD. IMO it would be foolish not to include this..

It shows it integrated into the Oculus Rift DK2, so yeah; awesome. If Sony are still working with them, then it's going to be big for VR.

pixelbox

The move and camera don't cost $150. It should be $299 for everything and $199 for the headset alone.

Most of the sales are going to be to people who don't have a camera or PSmove (and why would they? 99% of games don't support them) and these people will have to drop $300.

Thing is Sony is going to sell out no matter what they price the thing at (and it looks like they're aiming for $299-$399 SKUs). It will very likely include a few demos and maybe even a game. There will be demo stations in every Best Buy with people lining up to try it. People will be VR-struck and throw their money at the register. You know it'll happen.

They can always slash the price by $100 a year later, when the accessory isn't instantly sold out anymore.

I'm buying it day 1. Sony needs to be rewarded for diving into VR. Microsoft needs to smell the coffee and stop fucking around with only AR. AR is cool, but much, much harder, needs mobile computing and will therefore mature years later than VR.

I'm aware of this. But you know Sony isn't going after the razor thin margin.

Lebneney

Banned
I can stomach $150, maybe $200 dollars for this device, but any more than that would certainly kill it for me. I really want to see it's abilities first before I judge it for being a worthless addition.

Jigorath

Banned
Some of you guys are acting as if a $599 price tag has already been announced. The Vita was a "new gaming platform", it was $249.

magnumpy

oculus has said that they lost money on every DK1 sold at $300, that's why the DK2 was sold for $350. I can't see how any VR headset would come in at less than $350.

people expecting $200 for any of these VR headsets are living in la-la land.

Top Bottom