• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

Steroyd

It's really fucking strange, and ridiculous, that we're hearing details about the first firmware update before we even see a full reveal of the fucking OS.

Seriously Sony, it's out in 3 weeks. Surely you can fucking show us the OS.

Not so much ridiculous if all launch games that have gone or going gold will have firmware 1.5 on it.

andycapps

Can almost guarantee the functionality of Blu-ray/DVD not coming about until your console downloads this and goes online is them registering the console in some way to you. Basically, DRM.

Donos

Alot more patched in then i thought but are people really comparing it to the XBOX 1 mandatory patch which is needed to use the console at all?

lupinko

So the PS3 can do everything but the PS4 is truly a games machine, unless a day one patch is downloaded to allow for BD/DVD movie support.

When I bought my Nexus 7, I absolutely needed to be on a WiFi network during first boot. Couldn't even make it to the homescreen without it, so the device was a brick if you had no internet connection when you opened the box.

Assuming you can still play a single player game without this patch, it's really not a big deal. The first PS4s were rolling off of the manufacturing line months ago. There was no way Sony was going to have initial firmware all set in stone by then.

Minions

Most of that stuff is basic features that you would expect to be there from the start. You seriously can't watch DVD or Blu-Ray movies without first downloading a firmware update? No suspend/resume is a huge disappointment too.

Kinda shows how rushed these consoles are. Three weeks from launch and we're learning about all these "gotchas"

It is likely many of these "features" were disabled by default on retail units until launch. Who cares if you get a launch console early if most of the features are disabled until launch.

Liamario

Banned
Sony drops the ball again with the music player. I don't want to subscribe to some service to stream music in the background. Xbox have had this sorted out for years.

They said background music via music unlimited. That doesn't mean that there won't be music playable stored on the console or available to play via streaming. We'll have to wait and see.
Would like a Spotify app though.

Omni

Okay but seriously.

Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

this needs to be on the fucking box or something.

Sounds crazy but ... coupled with the dearth of exciting launch titles and then this, legitimately canceling preorder.
You're right, that does sound crazy!

Tell me you'll sleep on it first... You don't know how hard these things will be to find when you decide you do want one.

TTOOLL

It's pretty normal, they will be always working to improve the system, they are doing it just now. It's impossible for a console nowadays to leave the factory with all done software-wise. I don't really see a problem.

Raist

Banned
For people worrying about servers being hammered / mandatory online I'd suggest someone asks Yoshida (or any other exec) about this FW update being on launch games discs too. Might well be the case.

ckohler

I just tweeted @yosp and @PlayStation to get clarification on suspend/resume and if games still do this or if they're just referring to "deep sleeping" the console.

Can almost guarantee the functionality of Blu-ray/DVD not coming about until your console downloads this and goes online is them registering the console in some way to you. Basically, DRM.

I can guarantee you are wrong and you'll be able to play BD/DVD without ever connecting your PS4 to the internet.

Withnail

Then what on Earth was included in the 1.0 firmware?

If you really want to know just buy a PS4 and don't update.

But it's just the basic OS with enough functionality to allow a subsequent firmware update to happen. They do it this way to allow manufacturing to start while the OS development continues.

Carl

Does anyone actually use facebook for videos? I mean... I've never seen anyone post a video on facebook. Ever.

stryke

Thats not a whole list of features ready for 1.5 for those wondering.. there are still a few things in there not talked about

Thanks, but this is still pretty poor form mate, Bluray and DVD needing internet activation? That's not good enough.

x-Lundz-x

I don't get how this is not the part of 1.0 FW.

Should be expected. The machine has been in production for 3 months when it releases, so a day one patch for bug fixes / features should be expected.

I guess they just couldn't get the suspend mode working properly for release, which sucks but whatever I'll live.

It could be that dynamic HDCP keys are required because right now the PS4 has HDCP for video and gaming. So they need to disable HDCP for gaming and download the proper keys again. I am guessing it has to do somehow with HDCP and licensing.

UNCMark

Banned
Completely expected this. Even without their DRM changes, MS was always going to have a day one patch as well. The only disappointing thing to me is the lack of suspend mode at launch. What the hell, Sony? That should have been something basic that was part of 1.0.

SPDIF

Multi log-in
A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.

Every time I read about this feature coming to the PS4 it still shocks me that it wasn't a standard feature of the PS3 in the first place.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Other than no sleep mode, I have no dirt slinging to do here.

Sony needs to get that in there but some of the responses on page 1 are shameful when calling out Sony on this but leaving MSFT alone with their own day 1 DRM removing patch.

Who didn't expect a day 1 update anyways? These are brand new consoles that will be consistently updating for years to come.

I have news for you - we might be seeing several patches in the first few weeks. Most will add features and/or improve stability.

I will be looking forward to that sleep function but I have no problem actually saving and shutting down my console since that's exactly what I intend to do most of the time.

Oh and that music thing. Surely we will be able to transfer music to the service but I'm guessing Music Plus will just be the app that you use to play your own tunes.

We should have some clarification on that from Sony.

Well that's kinda shite, that's Like EVERY feature lol. Also sleep mode is a weird thing to be coming after launch isn't it? :/

Not important to me obviously, but a bit odd none-the-less

VanWinkle

Does anyone actually use facebook for videos? I mean... I've never seen anyone post a video on facebook. Ever.

I know i will NEVER upload a video to Facebook, but if we can save to the HDD I don't mind. It seems absolutely insane that we might not be able to save locally, but I do worry about that.

jonabbey

Yeah. It may also be about Sony trying not to pay the licenses needed to play back DVD and Blu-ray if they don't have to. The original PS3 had some licensed features you had to manually turn on for the same reason.

Top Bottom