• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hear ya. They should rename the Fogbuster "albatross". Sequoia >>>> Fogbuster.

Yep, it's difficult not to earn money with the sequoia - lovely, slow thing. Also cheaper than a Fogbuster.

This challenge seems to be tricky, rankings don't seem to have a ton of jobs. And when I'm number 1 you know something is wrong ;) nothing special either, just using the four Mohawks I already had in Beijing and shanghai, along with two more I drafted into Tokyo, all flying via Sapporo. I fly them to magadan and back in one loop so I don't get any money for the return leg but it requires less micromanaging. And I'm actually making money unlike the cape town event

shira

Yep, it's difficult not to earn money with the sequoia - lovely, slow thing. Also cheaper than a Fogbuster.

This challenge seems to be tricky, rankings don't seem to have a ton of jobs. And when I'm number 1 you know something is wrong ;) nothing special either, just using the four Mohawks I already had in Beijing and shanghai, along with two more I drafted into Tokyo, all flying via Sapporo. I fly them to magadan and back in one loop so I don't get any money for the return leg but it requires less micromanaging. And I'm actually making money unlike the cape town event
Well you were already in Asia
Everyone else has to scramble to relocate and test city distances.

Apeboy

All this hate for the fogbuster. Bah I say.

Six Fogbusters fully upgraded are the backbone of my fleet along with two maxxed Cyclones for the long, direct Istanbul to New York haul. My Fogbusters handle Beijing - Istanbul - Rio with speed and profit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Try moving your airports to east Asia. That region has so many Class 2 & 3 large population cities placed very closely together, makes it one of the better areas for expanding your airline quickly.

I started in Japan, so I've done a few of the 2/3, but now trying to get more 1.

Trin

I started in Japan, so I've done a few of the 2/3, but now trying to get more 1.

Oh really? I dumped all my class 1 airports as soon as I could and never looked back.

If you need parts for some more class 2 planes let me know, always happy to help out and I've got a junkpile just lying around.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh really? I dumped all my class 1 airports as soon as I could and never looked back.

If you need parts for some more class 2 planes let me know, always happy to help out and I've got a junkpile just lying around.

Er, I have a bunch of class 1 that is. One class 2 now, but only 3 class 2 airports. :p

senador

Banned
I haven't played this game much this weekend. I seem to go in spurts of not much at all, or tons of playing. Part of it is that I have a hard time getting a flow going and filling planes. I don't want to resort to only having 1 main line across the map though. Hrm.

Damn, another event I can't help with. Someday my little airplane dooders will network across the entire map, but not yet. Still inching up Central America... Good thing this game is so addicting, cause progress sure is slow.

Watching this thread makes me feel awful lol. It's taking me so long to get anywhere in this game. My biggest plane is one class 2 plane. I only have 3 airports it can fly to too. :p

You guys are probably playing the game "wrong". My original intent was to start in an area and expand out by basically buying every airport in ring around me. That's not very effective for how the game works at the present time. Your best bet is going to be to only buy reds and blues, close blacks and only use them for events. Try to buy reds almost outside your reach. Your profits will be much higher and you'll start moving at a much faster pace, and before you know it you'll have a global network. From there you can start filling in more reds and blues.

If you wanted to take it even a step further, you could go the route others here have done and only have a 1 main flight line. Essentially do LA-NY-London-Delhi-Tokyo, or something along those lines. Makes it so you can fill planes easier and have more consistent flight times and profits. I find this way undesirable though and is backwards from the kind of progression I think the game should have so I don't do it.

Mr. F

Banned
Game was fun for a little while but as with Tiny Tower, my OCD in expanding and making money eventually passed and I got bored with it. Cool while it lasted, but I don't think I'll be going back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are probably playing the game "wrong". My original intent was to start in an area and expand out by basically buying every airport in ring around me. That's not very effective for how the game works at the present time. Your best bet is going to be to only buy reds and blues, close blacks and only use them for events. Try to buy reds almost outside your reach. Your profits will be much higher and you'll start moving at a much faster pace, and before you know it you'll have a global network. From there you can start filling in more reds and blues.
Hah, yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing. I hadn't even considered the strategy you're describing... I'll slowly transition towards that and see how it works. How does re-opening an airport work, though? Will I have to pay the full amount again? Plus all the upgrades...? It's a scary idea, haha.

Edit : Okay, so I closed a few Class 1 airports and bought a string of Class 2 airports. I'll see how it works. I guess the worst that will happen is that it'll be a failed experiment and I'll go back to my old strategy.

senador

Banned
Hah, yeah, that's exactly what I've been doing. I hadn't even considered the strategy you're describing... I'll slowly transition towards that and see how it works. How does re-opening an airport work, though? Will I have to pay the full amount again? Plus all the upgrades...? It's a scary idea, haha.

Edit : Okay, so I closed a few Class 1 airports and bought a string of Class 2 airports. I'll see how it works. I guess the worst that will happen is that it'll be a failed experiment and I'll go back to my old strategy.

Closing you get half the price you paid. When you reopen you pay fill price again and you'll have to rebuy upgrades I believe. I haven't upgraded airports yet though, only planes.

I keep all reds, but close blues after events of they are too close to another red or blue or too far off in a direction. I only have blacks to events but close them immediately after. Most of my planes can't fly to blacks do they are kind of a chore now, plus they just don't hold enough jobs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Closing you get half the price you paid. When you reopen you pay fill price again and you'll have to rebuy upgrades I believe. I haven't upgraded airports yet though, only planes.

I keep all reds, but close blues after events of they are too close to another red or blue or too far off in a direction. I only have blacks to events but close them immediately after. Most of my planes can't fly to blacks do they are kind of a chore now, plus they just don't hold enough jobs.

That's one of my problems with west coast USA. I have Honolulu and sanfrancisco as feeders for LA, but they don't supply many passengers for Tokyo etc. conversely, beijing and shanghai feeding Tokyo always gives me plenty of passengers for events or USA. I need to balance that western end of my setup somehow

Apeboy

That's one of my problems with west coast USA. I have Honolulu and sanfrancisco as feeders for LA, but they don't supply many passengers for Tokyo etc. conversely, beijing and shanghai feeding Tokyo always gives me plenty of passengers for events or USA. I need to balance that western end of my setup somehow

Best I've come up with is only use class 3 airports period. I've got Tokyo feeding Beijing, Chicago feeding NYC and Buenos Aires feeding Rio. Some hauls are the furthest airport like Chicago to Tokyo but some are loaded for NYC to Beijing, the price the ticket price isn't all that much between the two to try and just use Tokyo. Istanbul is my big hub and can be a nightmare with layovers, especially when cleaning up after an event.

With all my planes upgraded in all three areas I've got good coverage for events where I just buy the event airport and put my Mohawks in service for those runs.

Meier

This game makes getting ready in the morning so much more difficult.

*phone alarm goes off*
*wake up, grab phone to turn off alarm*
*go through my planes*
*wait a minute or two for new jobs*
*goes through planes again*
*new jobs are almost up...*

All the sudden I've been in bed for another 10 minutes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best I've come up with is only use class 3 airports period. I've got Tokyo feeding Beijing, Chicago feeding NYC and Buenos Aires feeding Rio. Some hauls are the furthest airport like Chicago to Tokyo but some are loaded for NYC to Beijing, the price the ticket price isn't all that much between the two to try and just use Tokyo. Istanbul is my big hub and can be a nightmare with layovers, especially when cleaning up after an event.

With all my planes upgraded in all three areas I've got good coverage for events where I just buy the event airport and put my Mohawks in service for those runs.

Hmm, good idea. I guess if you feed passengers from chicago into NYC then you're still getting Chicago prices, and you say they aren't that different from LA prices. I do think LA suffers from only having class 2 nearby to feed it. Will try that out, thanks.

Apeboy

Hmm, good idea. I guess if you feed passengers from chicago into NYC then you're still getting Chicago prices, and you say they aren't that different from LA prices. I do think LA suffers from only having class 2 nearby to feed it. Will try that out, thanks.

I suppose you still could use LA to feed NYC if you already expanded it. I agree that Class 2 airports can't keep up with a lot of jobs. I kept Miami open as long as I could but it just couldn't keep up, especially since I've got two cyclones, they vacuum up layovers and many times had to wait a few job cycles to load out. I fear there will be a lot of that once I get a couple more cyclones, let alone a cloud liner.

Currently running with 2 maxed out Pearjets and 3 maxed out Aeroeagles. Patiently waiting for LVL 20, and saving Bux.

It was painful to spend bux upgrading but I think it pays off.

Pheebers

Neo Member
This game makes getting ready in the morning so much more difficult.

*phone alarm goes off*
*wake up, grab phone to turn off alarm*
*go through my planes*
*wait a minute or two for new jobs*
*goes through planes again*
*new jobs are almost up...*

All the sudden I've been in bed for another 10 minutes.

This is SO me. Exactly.

tumblr_m6ykxv5ym41qghnumo1_500.jpg

Incase you guys ever have TOO much BUX.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh wow did they bump up the rate? I remember at the beginning it was 1 bux = 500 coins, which wasn't very much :/ so now it seems like it doubled, good to see.

yogloo

I stopped playing this game after realizing that big planes are such a hassle to operate. They actually decrease your profit and force you to micromanage everything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I stopped playing this game after realizing that big planes are such a hassle to operate. They actually decrease your profit and force you to micromanage everything.

I thought this at the beginning, but I'm quite enjoying the larger planes now. I don't need to constantly check on them as they take a couple of hours to cross the map. I suppose I could do the same with smaller planes, but I'd need more airports which dilutes the passenger list, and more planes for the same number of passengers,nwhich is expensive for slots.

I stopped at lvl 20. I was enjoying it up to aeroeagle. Got my fogbuster and somehow it makes the game worse.

I also have been enjoying aeroeagles. Level 22 is the sequoia, a larger plane similar to the aeroeagles in terms of efficient + slower plane. I have been trying to stick it out to level 22 and not buy fogbusters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I also have been enjoying aeroeagles. Level 22 is the sequoia, a larger plane similar to the aeroeagles in terms of efficient + slower plane. I have been trying to stick it out to level 22 and not buy fogbusters.

Do it, it's worth it. Hate fogbusters. I'm at level 24 and just unlocked the Tetra, is that any good?

Edit: same 10 capacity as sequoia, lower range and a lot faster (so more expensive to fly). Think I'll skip it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For the longest flight achievement, do I have to take a paying passenger, or just fly? I'm finding it difficult to get someone in Wellington that wants to go to nome. A side effect of opening a route was that I got the 20 airport and global operations acheivements too.

Copycatken

Neo Member
For the longest flight achievement, do I have to take a paying passenger, or just fly? I'm finding it difficult to get someone in Wellington that wants to go to nome. A side effect of opening a route was that I got the 20 airport and global operations acheivements too.

If I recall correctly, you just need to fly from Nome to Wellington. My Mohawk was empty when I flew it for the achievement.

Meier

Does anyone know what the 6 regions are specifically? I have Class 3 airports in Paris (Europe), Cairo (Africa), Tehran (Asia), Mumbai (Asia), Bangkok (Asia), Shangai (Asia), Tokyo (Asia), Los Angeles (North America), New York (NA), Mexico City (NA), Lima (SA). Would Jakarta get me the achievement as a sort of Oceania type region? I always considered it in Asia as well but there aren't any Class 3 in Australia so I'm guessing they're just using Oceania and including Jakarta in it?

Thanks.

Meier

As someone who's kinda new to the game, could you outline what I need to do to get a starship with this event? Thank you.

You need to deliver at least 5 jobs to San Diego over the next 3+ days. As long as #GAFAIR finishes in the top 10, you'll receive one. If you aren't a member yet, hit menu, then Flight Crew and input GAFAIR into the field for Flight Crew name.

You need to deliver at least 5 jobs to San Diego over the next 3+ days. As long as #GAFAIR finishes in the top 10, you'll receive one. If you aren't a member yet, hit menu, then Flight Crew and input GAFAIR into the field for Flight Crew name.

Whoa, that's it? That is.. awesome! Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know what the 6 regions are specifically? I have Class 3 airports in Paris (Europe), Cairo (Africa), Tehran (Asia), Mumbai (Asia), Bangkok (Asia), Shangai (Asia), Tokyo (Asia), Los Angeles (North America), New York (NA), Mexico City (NA), Lima (SA). Would Jakarta get me the achievement as a sort of Oceania type region? I always considered it in Asia as well but there aren't any Class 3 in Australia so I'm guessing they're just using Oceania and including Jakarta in it?

Thanks.

It's apparently broken. Jakarta should qualify as oceania, but currently it's Asia. So there is no way to get the regional achievement. It's annoying because I just spent a fortune on airports and now have to wait, with airports I don't need, cluttering up my departures list too.

If you participate in the event enough, you could get some Mystery Parts to deliver to San Diego, meaning you get enough parts to build a Spaceship beofre the events ends. Mystery Parts are rare popups though

Are they a special colour or just blue like normal?

Most of my flights are from the west coast to east coast (US), so I should be able to do a bunch of jobs for San Diego. Excellent!

Meier

It's apparently broken. Jakarta should qualify as oceania, but currently it's Asia. So there is no way to get the regional achievement. It's annoying because I just spent a fortune on airports and now have to wait, with airports I don't need, cluttering up my departures list too.

Aww that's a shame. Seems like a good number of the achievements are a bit buggy. I think dwindling GAFAIR numbers meant Ian and Dave gave up on us. :p

Trin

Are they a special colour or just blue like normal?

Most of my flights are from the west coast to east coast (US), so I should be able to do a bunch of jobs for San Diego. Excellent!

They're orange and impossible to miss once you seem em. My airline is very similar (west coast -> east coast -> europe), this is going to be the best event.

FerranMG

Glad you said something I've about given up on the events. Just opened San Diego and moving some of my crew. Here we go

Same here.
I finished 4th in the GAFAIR leaderboard for the recently finished event, and was a bit burnt on so many deliveries to single place, but the prize makes it worth it at least once more. :)

BTW, if anyone wants to add me, my GC is FerranMG. It would be cool to see how you guys are doing. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aww that's a shame. Seems like a good number of the achievements are a bit buggy. I think dwindling GAFAIR numbers meant Ian and Dave gave up on us. :p

We seem to hang onto 9th, so activity is stable. 9th in the world is pretty good.

Top Bottom