• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKÉTON! New Pokémon anime starring RED (!) from Pokémon Red/Blue [Up: Trailer]

Elfteiroh

This is SO out of the blue. O_O
I LOVE this!
Hum, the drawing quality seems at the same high than the Black2/White2 special... Could it be a special OVA released as an answer to the GREAT reception the B2/W2 special got? I'm pretty sure this will be this.

OMG I can't wait.
I can't wait to show this to my friends with which I'm currently watching the old anime together! O_O They will be flabbergasted!

Oh! One new thought: what if this is the first of a series of OVA to bring new fans to speed about all the history of pokemon games? As the new games have a lot of old pokemons, maybe they will use these to familiarize new fans to them.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's not about looking like a badass. He has that generic young anime protag look. Actually I'm starting to become worried, if the character design is like this then how will the show turn out... I'll have to wait and see, can't make any serious judgements from a few pictures.

Red's probably gonna be the same type of character as Ash, pretty much every manga version of Red is basically the same character type, the goofy, Shonen hero who achieves the impossible through the power of friendship.

The weird cult of personality developed around Red in the games is one of the weirdest things about the series to me, he's purposefully silent because he's basically you, so whenever people depict him as some hyper bad ass dude, it's kind of weird. Even more so the borderline sexualized fan-art and such.

I'm betting this series is gonna end up being disappointing beyond the fact that it's not starring Ash, and the only thing it'll probably have going for it is slightly better animation since it probably won't be a long series. Honestly the Pokemon look good (but I'm betting this quality will fluctuate a bit), but I think the character design looks off, especially Red, which doesn't look like any depiction really.

Blueblur1

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? Besides Ash being goofy, the presence of Pikachu and the characterization of Gary as Blue how will this be any different from the original season of the anime? Why is it exciting?

hupla

Clearly not based on the manga due to the lack of Bulbasaur (the best starter) for red but whatever. This is probably going to be its own thing and still super rad, im not expecting like Eco terrorist Elite 4 and Corrupt rocket gym leaders.

Shengar

Whoa. Didn't expect that. Will probably confuse the hell out of casual viewers and little kids.

Gundam can have different anime over the years. Why not Pokemon too? With that media chain and such, they can avoid those confusion that people kept said over the year.

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? Besides Ash being goofy, the presence of Pikachu and the characterization of Gary as Blue how will this be any different from the original season of the anime? Why is it exciting?

It's a great starting point for people who stopped watching :D

Blue-VS-Sabrina-The-Trick-pokemon-blue-or-green-32729769-711-697.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

It's probably gonna be a pretty short (I bet it'll go at a rate like a Gym Battle every episode) series that straight-up adapts the rather simplistic plot of the original Red and Blue.

If it follows the games, we will see Red kicking all asses.

No Ash and the art style's more generic which a lot of people view as a good thing.

Oh, let's not kid ourselves. NOSTALGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sandfox

This is going to follow the plot of the games which the anime did not do at all outside of collect 8 badges and the fact that Team Rocket is a thing.

Acerac

Banned
It no longer looks like Ash!

Why would anyone want to have a main character that looks like the main character in the original pokemon games?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Let's see this be a multi-season affair with shounen anime pacing. People will cry when it takes Red ten episodes just to make it across Nugget Bridge.

e: just an ova
MssE1al.jpg

vctor182

Because all who have played the original pokemon games were Red in a sense, we all became the best trainer and catch them all. This is like our biography, our lives.

Watch Da Birdie

Me too. He pretty much was. I don't think the distinction came until later, honestly.

It's really not that big of a deal, the original Red was a blank slate character.

Ash is an adaption of him, as is Special Red, despite sharing the same name. There's really no real "Red" to use.

How come is it that every time I see a post of yours, it's always something rude and completely unnecessary? What is your problem?

The truth hurts. Let's not derail the thread and instead talk about how excellent this looks compared to the current Pokemon anime. Yeah, the characters are similar, but the new art style is a major improvement.

Kids would confuse Ash and Red if they went with the original artwork. No need to be so rude.

I always love seeing the old "kids would get confused". Either I'm giving kids too much credit or you guys are severely underestimating the intelligence of kids these days...

It's really not that big of a deal, the original Red was a blank slate character.

Ash is an adaption of him, as is Special Red, despite sharing the same name. There's really no real "Red" to use.

Right. I guess that's what I mean. Clearly Red was the inception of Ash, but they branched off completely.

Top Bottom