• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKÉTON! New Pokémon anime starring RED (!) from Pokémon Red/Blue [Up: Trailer]

Shengar

Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? Besides Ash being goofy, the presence of Pikachu and the characterization of Gary as Blue how will this be any different from the original season of the anime? Why is it exciting?
We having a new anime beside the original one is already a big thing. Plus point if the anime doesn't feature Ash in it.
Will this be based off the manga?
Nope, original take on the Generation I game. Still I good thing I suppose.

Returned from where? This is not what Red looks like. Take your bizarre emo fanfiction version of Red elsewhere.

Jesus christ dude.
What crawled up your ass and died?

OT crap I probably shouldn't respond to aside, I'm absolutely loving all this genwunner love as of late. (Even if the new Mewtwo movie wasn't well...quite what I was expecting.) Hopefully this gets good enough ratings to pave the way for a better Pokemon anime that has no Ash in sight. I am totally not just stealth begging for a Pokemon Special anime, nosiree.

Toxi

Banned
Maybe some expect him to resemble his Pixiv persona, which admitenly the one who responsible for his badass persona on the internet.
Uh, what?

I'm pretty sure his badass reputation comes from being the final boss in the 2nd Generation.

It is Ash...Yellow was purposefully made to be more like the show
Judging by the Pikachu and all three starters being in Red's team in GSC, it's the canonical Red.

Elfteiroh

I always love seeing the old "kids would get confused". Either I'm giving kids too much credit or you guys are severely underestimating the intelligence of kids these days...

You're giving them too much credits. I work with some young chaps, and they are more and more hard to teach the job they need to do. One of them had all the trouble in the world just weighing a banana to figure out it's price yesterday... u_u

cdkee

Banned
Found this on Google images while looking for a picture of sad Ash lol

That+s+actually+a+very+sad+story+Long+story+_92b9235aaedbf7f42d00732f3be941a8.jpg

chrono01

Wow, his will be the first Pokémon anime series I'll have watching since...I think Best Wishes [I only watched a few and then gave up].

I'm excited.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd actually say I've got more nostalgia for Ash than Red honestly.

Probably because, you know, Ash was an actual character I recognized, while Red (or Brain...the misspelling of Brian) was just the character I played as who was me. Seeing Red in GS was cool, but I really can't say that the character was that memorable to me.

I wish they would've gone with the classic designs instead of the FR/LG-era designs. I barely recognized this dude as Red when I first saw him, Ash looks more like what people see Red as than this guy.

Shengar

Uh, what?

I'm pretty sure his badass reputation comes from being the final boss in the 2nd Generation.

Judging by the Pikachu and all three starters being in Red's team in GSC, it's the canonical Red.

Oh yeah I forgot :/
That persona is just add oil to the mix. His badassness indeed originated from Gen II as hidden boss with the highest leveled Pokemon.

If this is an ongoing series, I wonder if they'll do multiple arcs on different games. Would be cool to see the adventures of Ethan/Lyra, Brendan/May, etc.

bennyc12

I always love seeing the old "kids would get confused". Either I'm giving kids too much credit or you guys are severely underestimating the intelligence of kids these days...

It's 2013. It's been almost 17 years since Red and Green were released in Japan. Most of these kids haven't played the Game Boy games. The younger ones may not even know what a Game Boy is. (I talked to some fourth graders in 2009, none of them knew what a Nintendo 64 was).

NEO0MJ

I wish the Red we were getting in the show looked more like this, but I'm just glad this is even a thing.

Makes sense though. The red in the show is inexperienced, young and just starting his journey while the one that art is based on is Red after defeating Team Rocket, becoming a Pokemon champion and training in one of the most hostile regions for two/four years.

Shengar

I'd actually say I've got more nostalgia for Ash than Red honestly.

Probably because, you know, Ash was an actual character I recognized, while Red (or Brain...the misspelling of Brian) was just the character I played as who was me. Seeing Red in GS was cool, but I really can't say that the character was that memorable to me.

I wish they would've gone with the classic designs instead of the FR/LG-era designs. I barely recognized this dude as Red when I first saw him, Ash looks more like what people see Red as than this guy.

You know, I'm too have more childhood moment with Ash than Red. I played Red version exactly like he did in the anime with full team and such (still evolve them all of course). But as I grow, I began to see him more like nuissance. He doesn't grow old, keep his position as the lead character in the anime even though the game keep having new protagonists each generation. It just saturated me. Pokemon Special and Electric Tale of Pikachu just nail the coffin and now I hate him more than it should be. Even if this is a original anime that didn't feature Red or any protagonist from other game, I still happy because now i can watch a Pokemon anime that didn't have un-aging protagonist in it. Ash Ketchum have to rest. he deserved it. Or at least give a way for other protagonist to have screen time too.

Has there been a stronger story trainer in the history of the series?

Gameplay wise? Barry's team in DPPt have better team combination albeit with lower level (not a big difference), while Red's HGSS team despite being one of the highest leveled team in the game series, is have so many weakness that easy to exploit (Shedinja).

Skeff

I hope this only has 150/151 pokemon, I can accept mew as 151 but anymore than that and it's ruined.

The reason being of course is that mew was usable on Pokemon red. If you went to a pokemon conference or used a glitch.

badb0y

Oh my.

I haven't watched Pokemon in years but I am definitely going to be watching this. Nintendo tugging at my nostalgia strings and it's working.

qq more

I hope this only has 150/151 pokemon, I can accept mew as 151 but anymore than that and it's ruined.

The reason being of course is that mew was usable on Pokemon red. If you went to a pokemon conference or used a glitch.
And? They've shown GSC Pokemon in the first season of the anime...

NeonZ

I wish the Red we were getting in the show looked more like this, but I'm just glad this is even a thing.

To be fair, the whole "baddass red with shadows covering his eyes" thing originates from Pokemon Gold & Silver's Red boss battle, not his playable appearance. And he's three years older there compared to his appearance in the original games. I don't think he should look or act like that in the beginning of his adventure.

sn00zer

Holy fuck yes! but god damn they made red look like a pussy.

What if i told you RED is actually a ten year old kid with no personality and not the badass pokemon trainer teenagers believed they would become if they were in the Pokemon universe

Top Bottom