• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

CK0W30yUkAAo1eG.jpg
So Kotobukiya will be making Pokemon (trainer?) figure... and first one is Red... I wonder which Red is this

So yeah, Symphonic Evolutions was phenomenal.
The orchestras are variable of course, but I believe the conductor and director are Pokemon employees. They were both great. The conductor really got into it and even encouraged audience participation. Director almost forgot Ruby existed though.
The game clips were great and all the lighting/visual effects really enhanced the experience. Black and White, with the cutscenes and animations really worked well with it. N Counter in particular felt incredible with everything.
There were 3 songs from Kanto through Unova, Pokemon Center, Gotta Catch Em All (sing along), and 5 songs for Kalos, with Kiseki being dedicated to Mr. Iwata (I teared up).

Merchandise lines were long, as was the conductor signing. Couldn't do the latter since it got so late.
With the intermission (I think 15-20 minutes), it lasted like 2 to 2.5 hours.

The conductor threw a Pikachu into the audience, the person next to me caught it. Told me it was a Symphonic Evolutions specific plush, but after I got it, I saw that's it's just a generic X/Y from Tomy. Oh well, got that and a shirt (why isn't this online).

I'm debating whether or not to go tomorrow, since they're doing an encore. Though I doubt I can even get a seat at this point.
Gah, I'm so jealous! Symphonic Evolutions is actually coming to the Fox Theatre here in the Detroit area, which is insane because we never seem to get stuff like that here. But the rub is it's coming here on September 11th, meaning I'll be back at CMU at the time and the logistics of me getting back home to the Detroit metro-area that weekend are all just bleh and practically impossible. I'd love to be able to go since it sees like it would be a blast, but it's not really looking good ATM, which is a real shame, especially with how rare it is to get these things here like I said. :(

In any case, glad you had fun though! ^_^

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, dub's already at Valerie? That's pretty fast.

Also, after seeing Pokemon Dubai (Desser City, the 18th movie's setting), the next Pokemon game should look at a Middle Eastern, East European, or North African in setting. Imagine Pokemon Turkey!

Also, after seeing Pokemon Dubai (Desser City, the 18th movie's setting), the next Pokemon game should look at a Middle Eastern, East European, or North African in setting. Imagine Pokemon Turkey!

the dub is surprisingly only 10 episodes behind the upcoming episode

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Dub closed the gap by airing daily during Gen 3. It since has gotten a bit tighter because they never air specials in the regular slot, the ones that they do dub are aired separately.

They've actually been taking a winter break the last few years, taking parts of December/January off so that they don't actually catch all the way up.

Boss Doggie

Saw the subbed mini-special for Hoopa movie released only in Japan 7-11.

Essentially a comedic "what would happen if kids committed blasphemy", because holy crap the whole shit is about repairing Arceus's equivalent of the holy cross lol

Also, Vid (David), Cob (Jacob) and Luke. Yeeaah...

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, Omode (one of the writers in Pokemon anime, mostly wrote the episodes with ship tease or Serena focus) tweeted that she has something to share in Fall.

harmonize

an announcement of an announcement, them lower than expected box office numbers must have them shook.

saw Paper Towns earlier today and the main characters started singing the first season of Pokemon's theme song like halfway through the film. apparently it was supposed to be the Ducktales' theme but those damn millennial cast members didn't know what that show was.

harmonize

well the next Mega Evolution act will be the climax so it'll also probably be the last, they could do something similarly disconnected from the main show to replace it.

maxcriden

I should probably ask in here, even though I already asked in the Nintendo DL threads.

What Pokémon spin-offs would you recommend that aren't in the puzzle or F2P genre? Looking for a meaty non-mainline Pokémon experience as I don't really care for the mainline games, I find them a bit slow for my taste with the world and battle setup. Thanks all.

Xenoboy

Hi! Didn't know that this thread existed, but now I know.

I just started watching the XY Anime subbed and am at epsiode 56.
All I know is that Serena gets a haircut and that Goomy has become Goodra, in future episodes.

It was a bit boring between 1st and 2nd gym, and some of the Korrina episodes.
I also wonder if Serena's feelings will lead somewhere...

Busaiku

I should probably ask in here, even though I already asked in the Nintendo DL threads.

What Pokémon spin-offs would you recommend that aren't in the puzzle or F2P genre? Looking for a meaty non-mainline Pokémon experience as I don't really care for the mainline games, I find them a bit slow for my taste with the world and battle setup. Thanks all.
Super Mystery Dungeon seems like it's the real deal.
Haven't played any of the previous games, but this one seems big.

Pokemon Conquest is alright, mainly cause of the setting and concepts. It's a little weak overall, but I'd say it's worth checking out.
Hi! Didn't know that this thread existed, but now I know.

I just started watching the XY Anime subbed and am at epsiode 56.
All I know is that Serena gets a haircut and that Goomy has become Goodra, in future episodes.

It was a bit boring between 1st and 2nd gym, and some of the Korrina episodes.
I also wonder if Serena's feelings will lead somewhere...
No cause she'll be gone in 2 years.

Hatchtag

Banned

Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Conquest would be my picks (Snap isn't too meaty but is pretty enjoyable).

Ranger's okay but not great, didn't play the rest of that series. I don't care much for the Mystery Dungeon series but can see why some people do. Rumble's just awful, skip that garbage.

Stadium 1 &2 and Colosseum and XD are great, but they're not going to fit your tastes if you dislike the maingames.

I haven't played the Pokepark games. I like Pokemon Channel but that's probably just nostalgia. Hey You Pikachu is similar but I don't have nostalgia for it.

Other than that it's mostly just puzzle games and things to complement the mainline games. There's the pinball ones, which aren't very meaty but good. I've never really played the TCG game for Gameboy but that's supposed to be alright. I'm sure the Art Academy game is good. Pokken looks amazing.

maxcriden

Super Mystery Dungeon seems like it's the real deal.
Haven't played any of the previous games, but this one seems big.

Pokemon Conquest is alright, mainly cause of the setting and concepts. It's a little weak overall, but I'd say it's worth checking out.

No cause she'll be gone in 2 years.

Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Conquest would be my picks (Snap isn't too meaty but is pretty enjoyable).

Ranger's okay but not great, didn't play the rest of that series. I don't care much for the Mystery Dungeon series but can see why some people do. Rumble's just awful, skip that garbage.

Stadium 1 &2 and Colosseum and XD are great, but they're not going to fit your tastes if you dislike the maingames.

I haven't played the Pokepark games. I like Pokemon Channel but that's probably just nostalgia. Hey You Pikachu is similar but I don't have nostalgia for it.

Other than that it's mostly just puzzle games and things to complement the mainline games. There's the pinball ones, which aren't very meaty but good. I've never really played the TCG game for Gameboy but that's supposed to be alright. I'm sure the Art Academy game is good. Pokken looks amazing.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I appreciate the advice. I think Conquest is a bit slow/uninteresting in premise to me. I'm planning to check out Park, Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. I realize that Ranger at least may have a less stellar first entry but I think the game has its fans and it seems like it might be more what I'm looking for. I'm not really interested TBH in the traditional Pokémon trainers having their Pokémon fight each other. Just the premise is unappealing or off-putting to me. Anyway, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I appreciate the advice. I think Conquest is a bit slow/uninteresting in premise to me. I'm planning to check out Park, Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. I realize that Ranger at least may have a less stellar first entry but I think the game has its fans and it seems like it might be more what I'm looking for. I'm not really interested TBH in the traditional Pokémon trainers having their Pokémon fight each other. Just the premise is unappealing or off-putting to me. Anyway, thanks.

Park 1 is very light on story and adventure and is mainly just minigames, Park 2 on the other hand puts a much bigger focus on adventure and story and is a MUCH better game.

maxcriden

Park 1 is very light on story and adventure and is mainly just minigames, Park 2 on the other hand puts a much bigger focus on adventure and story and is a MUCH better game.

That's good to know, thank you. Did you enjoy both games a decent amount, though? Also, anyone know where to find these games at non-exorbitant prices? Thanks!

XY is only 1.6 million away from Black and White's LTD and on a much smaller userbase with a 1 year life before ORAS released.
Pokemon is dead, right guys?

Busaiku

XY is only 1.6 million away from Black and White's LTD and on a much smaller userbase with a 1 year life before ORAS released.
And it's 2.22 million away from Sapphire, which launched on hardware with a similar userbase (lower at launch).
Nintendo only shipped 70k since September, so it's not touching either.

Pokémon mainline game sales have been doing alright this generation, on the whole. It's the surrounding franchise and the overall release strategy that could use a little tweaking and polishing.

No one has said that Pokémon is dead in seriousness, but the franchise has been a little vulnerable lately in ways it hasn't been for a while. Not unrecoverable, by any means, but TPC shouldn't be resting on their laurels.

I was just looking up some unused music from the main series. It's interesting that so many Johto themes were remixed for Ruby and Sapphire but were left unused. It's possible that Game Freak used some of them for the Sevii Islands in FRLG but several of them were still unused.

Speaking of unused music, was the Frontier Brain theme from ORAS ever given a use? I was thinking that they could use it in the Worlds final but it's likely that they'll stick with Blue's champion theme.

Seil

I was just looking up some unused music from the main series. It's interesting that so many Johto themes were remixed for Ruby and Sapphire but were left unused. It's possible that Game Freak used some of them for the Sevii Islands in FRLG but several of them were still unused.

Speaking of unused music, was the Frontier Brain theme from ORAS ever given a use? I was thinking that they could use it in the Worlds final but it's likely that they'll stick with Blue's champion theme.

Pretty sure that theme is used in the Maison in ORAS.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Really got the bad case of Pokémon itch, but alas I have to wait just a little longer till I can play any Pokémon games.

Also I really need to get back into the animé, haven't watched it since Ash released Goodra

Why is the Diancie event so short? I was traveling all weekend and am now stuck at work until the end of the window :(

If it makes you feel better I was at home alll day and I didn't download Diancie.

Only in my heart.... Nah I am kidding my love for Pokémon has never been more stronger.

Pokémon mainline game sales have been doing alright this generation, on the whole. It's the surrounding franchise and the overall release strategy that could use a little tweaking and polishing.

No one has said that Pokémon is dead in seriousness, but the franchise has been a little vulnerable lately in ways it hasn't been for a while. Not unrecoverable, by any means, but TPC shouldn't be resting on their laurels.

Yeah The Pokémon Company needs to be more aggressive to keep the momentum up, because Yo-kai Watch may die off but other competitions will emerge to challenge Pokémon.

Yeah you're right, I just looked it up now. I never used the Maison in ORAS and I only remember hearing about the theme close to when the game was released and datamined.

I am still annoyed that Game Freak took the lazy and easy way and just recycled the Maison and just troll everyone reference of the Battle Frontier.

KdylanR92

Been playing through black and white and black and white 2 for the last 2 weeks.

I completely forgot how amazing those games are, I would say that it's my favorite region now.

The only things I don't like are the starters and how they messed up the difficulty modes

Top Bottom