• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Without spoiling the movie, can you answer if Lugia, Latias, and Latios are the ones from 2000 and Heroes respectively? Especially Lugia.

After Mewtwo in the 16th film, I'm not getting my hopes up. :/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Without spoiling the movie, can you answer if Lugia, Latias, and Latios are the ones from 2000 and Heroes respectively? Especially Lugia.

After Mewtwo in the 16th film, I'm not getting my hopes up. :/

Why should they be? These ones are from different dimensions.

They often release GAME/Gamestop exclusive Mythicals over WiFi the following year.

Normally they give more than four days though

I know, I just didn't expect it out of nowhere "Oh, you can download it this Friday", especially with all the other Pokemon stuff going on right now, it just came outa nowhere.

JoeM86

So easy to forget the scale of Hoopa Unbound. This sucker's huge

0xzq8P1.jpg
jWPrIq4.jpg

Busaiku

So after the failure of Kalos and this latest movie, will Pokemon finally learn that nostalgia shouldn't be the primary driver.

JoeM86

So after the failure of Kalos and this latest movie, will Pokemon finally learn that nostalgia shouldn't be the primary driver.

"failure" is a bit of a stretch. Both the games and the movie are successes. Granted the movie isn't as much as they had hoped, but it didn't bomb. It didn't do badly. And the games were ridiculously fast selling and have sold over 13 million units in a year on a platform with a 50 million userbase. How is that a failure?

Also, I fail to see how nostalgia was the primary driver in both X & Y and the latest movie. X & Y had some references and a little bit of nostalgia sprinkled in, but it was nowhere near the primary driver, and the movie certainly isn't.

Boss Doggie

Yeah I wouldn't say Hoopa movie is failure when the forecast indicates it might have legs due to a more positive look vs. Diancie.

harmonize

The Diancie movie focused on new Pokemon and it hardly opened much higher. The average viewer doesn't distinguish between nostalgia and newness, Pikachu and Lugia are as new Hoopa and Frogadier to someone who just recently started with the series. At worst it does nothing, at best it broadens the base to older fans who want to see their old favorites showcased again. The series is in a slump right now due to competition from other series, and foregoing the use of old Pokemon isn't going to change that.

And the notion that nostalgia doesn't work flew right out the window when the Hoenn remakes did as well as they did.

harmonize

Within their own subseries, no Pokemon movie has ever done better than the ones preceding it; there's always been a clear decline as the saga has went on. I'm surprised they thought this movie would break that trend. From the other thread:

¥7.54 billion / 6.54 million :: Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back
¥6.36 billion / 5.60 million :: Pokemon: Revelation Lugia
¥4.85 billion / 4.50 million :: Pokemon: Lord of the Unown Tower - Entei
¥3.90 billion / 3.63 million :: Pokemon: Celebi - A Timeless Encounter
¥2.67 billion / 2.55 million :: Pokemon: Guardians of Altomare - Latias and Latios

¥4.50 billion / 4.28 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishing Star of Seven Nights
¥4.38 billion / 4.16 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Deoxys - Sky-Splitting Visitor
¥4.30 billion / 4.10 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Mew and the Wave Hero - Lucario
¥3.40 billion / 3.23 million :: Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea

¥5.02 billion / 4.78 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai
¥4.80 billion / 4.66 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin
¥4.67 billion / 4.40 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus - To a Conquering Spacetime
¥4.16 billion / 3.97 million :: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Master of Illusions - Zoroark

¥4.33 billion / 4.13 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Victini and the Black Hero - Zekrom/Victini and the White Hero - Reshiram
¥3.61 billion / 3.44 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo
¥3.17 billion / 3.01 million :: Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens

¥2.91 billion / 2.75 million :: Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie

The Diancie movie does have the unfortunate distinction of being the only series-opening entry to not preform better than the film that closed out the previous saga.

Boss Doggie

wtf more people want to watch a Pokemon movie than a Pixar movie?

I'd rather watch a kaijuu movie than a movie that talks about meandering a lot with two specific characters (oh god I want to punch Sadness). Her shtick in the teaser alone made me want to hate her, she literally screamed "look at me I'm such a woobie!"

In fact if we take out the Pixar label that movie would probably get more criticism.

TomShoe

Banned
800px-Title_Card_XY_Team_Rocket_V2.png

Just watched the Pokeball factory anime episode. I said damn. Team Rocket episodes tend to consistently have the best quality out of all the episodes outside of gym battles. I have to admit, their individual personalities and the dynamic between them is by far the best in the series. They've been around so long, and their respective backstories and interactions with other character really provide context to the actions they take during the anime. I feel like they're the only people in the anime besides Ash and Pikachu (that might change one day) that are indispensable. They are just that good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
X/Y is just the best series, plain and simple. I never thought they'd actually do one with so many quality episodes again, but they did.

TomShoe

Banned
X/Y is just the best series, plain and simple. I never thought they'd actually do one with so many quality episodes again, but they did.

One more thing.
Pikachu should not have been able to dodge in the air like that during that final showdown vs. Meowth. Should have been caught, would have made a top set-up for the next episode.

Boss Doggie

Yes, yes you do (in subs).

Honestly the only episode I didn't like is the Meowstic brothers but even then it's sorta saved by Bonnie.

Bonnie is the best kid character the show has.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
oh no do i have to start watching the anime again?

1. They improved the animation. A lot.
2. The gym fights are spectacular.
3. The non gym fights...are really quite decent!
4. It's been decently paced throughout.
5. Team Rocket is somewhere in between their last series super serious, very competent but kinda boring personas and team rocket Classic, including Wobbuffett (but not including fantasies about the Boss, unfortunately)
6. The companions are pretty dang solid!
7. Contests are back!

Boss Doggie

Not contests per se, Tripokalon is contests + some idol stuff, usually with preliminaries doing things like baking and dressing up.

TomShoe

Banned
Eh. I can take or leave Tripokalons.The performance sections are good, but it gets boring to watch, and the fan voting is kind of a cheap cop out. I'd rather have things be settled between the contestants themselves or judges. Personally I preferred the mix between battles and contests like in the Hoenn series. It was a nice mix of action and style.

lupinko

I played Pokken today at the PC. Tried Weavile. Game is different, it sorta reminds me of Erhgeiz.

Picked up Cynthia today.

IK3h0GM.jpg

Here's the N ad.

Pg7wfzv.jpg

Busaiku

Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions is tonight!
I'm hyped.

Pretty cool that the Diancie event is going on the same weekend.
Houston is Pokemon's main market confirmed.

PK Gaming

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a while, but I just got caught up on Hoopa and it's alt form.

hyperspace_fury_by_portal2player-d88jhvs.gif

That signature move is pretty much the greatest move in the history of ever. It beats the craps out of your opponent, JoJo style, and then laughs at the opponent after using it.

God. Damn.

Boss Doggie

Rica Matsumoto (Ash's VA, singer of plenty of Pokemon OPs, Project Jam member) tweeted that "When fall comes, I think I'll be able to make an announcement that will make you all very happy"

Busaiku

So yeah, Symphonic Evolutions was phenomenal.
The orchestras are variable of course, but I believe the conductor and director are Pokemon employees. They were both great. The conductor really got into it and even encouraged audience participation. Director almost forgot Ruby existed though.
The game clips were great and all the lighting/visual effects really enhanced the experience. Black and White, with the cutscenes and animations really worked well with it. N Counter in particular felt incredible with everything.
There were 3 songs from Kanto through Unova, Pokemon Center, Gotta Catch Em All (sing along), and 5 songs for Kalos, with Kiseki being dedicated to Mr. Iwata (I teared up).

Merchandise lines were long, as was the conductor signing. Couldn't do the latter since it got so late.
With the intermission (I think 15-20 minutes), it lasted like 2 to 2.5 hours.

The conductor threw a Pikachu into the audience, the person next to me caught it. Told me it was a Symphonic Evolutions specific plush, but after I got it, I saw that's it's just a generic X/Y from Tomy. Oh well, got that and a shirt (why isn't this online).

I'm debating whether or not to go tomorrow, since they're doing an encore. Though I doubt I can even get a seat at this point.

Top Bottom