• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon First Information - May 10th 12:00 UTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of trainer customization staying the "exclusive thing" for Kalos infuriates me. It's a game about inserting yourself into the game and training partners to become the champ. What they did with Kalos was a huge step in the right direction, especially with the skin colors. Don't fuck me game freak.

i wonder if masuda & co. hears the outcry about trainer customization and decided to scrap that 'exclusive to kalos' and will continue available on later gen... then again i doubt it lol

JoeM86

i wonder if masuda & co. hears the outcry about trainer customization and decided to scrap that 'exclusive to kalos' and will continue available on later gen... then again i doubt it lol

Contrary to belief, Game Freak doesn't cut important features, and they do listen to fan feedback. I'd say there's a decent shot that they'll be in

So, anyone else think Synchro ala Ash-Greninja will be the new big mechanic in SuMo, similar to what megas were in XY? Not that it'll necessarily be announced this time, just in general

So, anyone else think Synchro ala Ash-Greninja will be the new big mechanic in SuMo, similar to what megas were in XY? Not that it'll necessarily be announced this time, just in general
Eh if anything I feel it will be like the Notched eared Pichu we got on HGSS.

I just really hope they lighten up on Megas or give them to Pokemon that already have evolutions and not the ones that could actually use real evolutions.

Eh if anything I feel it will be like the Notched eared Pichu we got on HGSS.

I just really hope they lighten up on Megas or give them to Pokemon that already have evolutions and not the ones that could actually use real evolutions.
I still think no new evo sin xy besides sylveon is to keep evolite usage consistent

Zomba13

Probably but I hope not. It's just so laaaaaaaaaame. I wish Mega Evolution stayed with X/Y and wasn't a thing going forward. I hate it and Pokéfusion will be even more stupid. "You can fuse with these pokémon but only certain ones because of reasons"

Sun/Moon will have a few new things and will cut back on all the cool stuff in X/Y like customisation.

JoeM86

Probably but I hope not. It's just so laaaaaaaaaame. I wish Mega Evolution stayed with X/Y and wasn't a thing going forward. I hate it and Pokéfusion will be even more stupid. "You can fuse with these pokémon but only certain ones because of reasons"

Sun/Moon will have a few new things and will cut back on all the cool stuff in X/Y like customisation.

You do realise Synchro isn't fusion, right?

Also, Mega Evolution is here to stay. I don't get the hate for it.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I think a good case for customization is the probable synchro evolution. It's about your main mon taking on characteristics of yourself showing the bond between you. It'd be pointless if it took on the appearance of a generic main character everyone is playing as. They'd be no point making such a form take on personal characteristics if that was the case.
I wouldn't feel at all connected if my Noivern gained blonde fur despite my hair being black.

Wait no! I take that back lol they don't get an excuse for the remake! They didn't mind adding in mega evolutions Idky I completely forgot megas was in OaRs for some reason

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Contrary to belief, Game Freak doesn't cut important features, and they do listen to fan feedback. I'd say there's a decent shot that they'll be in
C'mon Joe, we know you love Pokemon and everything, but you can't really say this with a straight face. Customization is important to many people (me included; even though it's not essential I loved it in XY) and it was cut in ORAS. The excuse that it was a remake doesn't make sense, because mega evolutions, Super Training and Amie remained there, and it wasn't available in the GBA games.

DPtheGod

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought they were going to a reveal last month, and it got cancelled?

Either way, I am excited to
finally
see some information about these Pocket monsters.

I think a good case for customization is the probable synchro evolution. It's about your main mon taking on characteristics of yourself showing the bond between you. It'd be pointless if it took on the appearance of a generic main character everyone is playing as. They'd be no point making such a form take on personal characteristics.
I wouldn'the feel at all connected if my Noivern gained blonde fur despite my hair being black.
This is such a good case for why customization should return.

Custom trainers + synchro would cement a unique bond between you and your pokemon. That would add an element to the "adventure" that we've truly never experienced before. I'd love it!

Zomba13

You do realise Synchro isn't fusion, right?

Also, Mega Evolution is here to stay. I don't get the hate for it.

Nope. I just thought it was Ash fusing with Greninja.

And I don't like Mega Evolution because it seems like a cheap way of making Pokémon relevant without actually giving them an evolution. "Oh, we want more Charizard but can't make him evolve any more? MEGA EVOLUTION!" "Oh, we want to do something with Aerodactyl but don't want to give it an evolution to make it worth using? MEGA EVOLUTION!" "Mewtwo is cool but we can't go having a Mewthree... MEGA EVOLUTION!".

And then it's like, here, have a Pokémon that is basically as strong as a legendary but you don't feel bad for using it.

JoeM86

C'mon Joe, we know you love Pokemon and everything, but you can't really say this with a straight face. Customization is important to many people (me included; even though it's not essential I loved it in XY) and it was cut in ORAS. The excuse that it was a remake doesn't make sense, because mega evolutions, Super Training and Amie remained there, and it wasn't available in the GBA games.

If we go through Sun & Moon and it's gone, then I'll concede that it is cut. However, for ORAS it does have a little sense that it wasn't included to differentiate
Nope. I just thought it was Ash fusing with Greninja.

And I don't like Mega Evolution because it seems like a cheap way of making Pokémon relevant without actually giving them an evolution. "Oh, we want more Charizard but can't make him evolve any more? MEGA EVOLUTION!" "Oh, we want to do something with Aerodactyl but don't want to give it an evolution to make it worth using? MEGA EVOLUTION!" "Mewtwo is cool but we can't go having a Mewthree... MEGA EVOLUTION!".

And then it's like, here, have a Pokémon that is basically as strong as a legendary but you don't feel bad for using it.

Synchro appears to just be like Mega Evolution (like how Primal Reversion is similar), except it only appears to happen in a pinch, not activated. We'll see how it's implemented.

And yes, that is part of the concept behind Megas. There was a power creep but, due to the Eviolite item, they couldn't really add more Pokémon to the evolution chain (they like to keep things consistent, so if something existed in the past game, it can't really be used to activate new things, which is why Moon Stone doesn't evolve Eevee into Umbreon, Leaf Stone doesn't evolve Eevee into Leafeon etc., there's only one example of this that doesn't hold up though, and that's Lickitung's evolution method).

Mega Evolution is actually a fantastic mechanic in competitive battles. It really changes up how you battle.

Customization is important to many people (me included; even though it's not essential I loved it in XY) and it was cut in ORAS. The excuse that it was a remake doesn't make sense, because mega evolutions, Super Training and Amie remained there, and it wasn't available in the GBA games.
Right. One of the reasons we get remakes is so we can experience a familiar story in a way that wasn't possible back when it was initially released. Customizing your trainer falls under that category.

Hopeford

The definition of 'important' is kind of subjective though, which is the issue. Some people loved Pokemon following you around in HGSS, difficulty settings in B/W--hell, the fact that HGSS had its menu always set on the bottom screen was rad as hell. But they all got rid of that.

They don't cut things that directly affect gameplay, but I think it's more than fair to say that they cut enjoyable features if they don't deem them important. They don't get rid of anything that affects the main gameplay, but everything else seems to be fair game to them.

Delio

If anything I want my skin options and hair colors and styles back. Just give me that Gamefreak please. (Also clothes and put more options for guys as well. ALSO more hair styles for everyone)

Neoxon

Well, I didn't know. So they should spend half of the announcement to remind us the platform.
Nah, they made it abundantly clear in the initial reveal as well as their posts about the games on social media. It's becoming clear that the console part of the NX Platform is dropping first, so there's no reason to port Sun/Moon to it until the handheld component comes out.

Seil

After seeing this, I figured I was. I thought there was supposed to be some reveal related to the games in early April. But thanks for clearing it up!

We knew there was going to be something in April's CoroCoro, but it wasn't passed off as big news or anything unttil people got hyped for no reason. That something turned out to be it telling us that something would be coming this month, and here we are. Granted, an announcement about an announcement for an announcement is pretty crazy =p

Yes 100%. No matter how much the Pokemon creator/Serebii says otherwise, trainer customization is too important to cut. Yet they did, and it being remakes doesn't matter.

ORAS was the first ever Pokemon game that I skipped. I will not support such mean tactics. It better return or I'll likely skip again. And it better return in the future D/P and/or R/B remakes later on too.

Yup. 100% right.

Trey

I really hope it's silhouettes...

tumblr_mix9mk5DD61r0rie8o1_500.png

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

JoeM86

I never said I agreed with it. I said I understood it. Customisation of the characters is a lot different to those features as it helps determine the style and look of the game, and that could be why they didn't include it, considering it's remake

If they do listen to fan feedback, then they must have poor listening skills. Just saying that because it's amazing how much they could have made the games better without cutting into the casual audience (which is obviously where the bigger money lies). I can't get over some of their mistakes.

Mediking

Junichi Masuda kinda confirmed that the trainer customization was exclusive to Kalos because of the Paris theme.

I won't be at all suprised if it doesn't return until the X/Y remakes. It'd be nice if we could at least select a skin tone again, though.

Masuda should feel embarrassed and ashamed for saying that. And that goes against the huge "Pokémon is for everyone!!!" message they wanna push so hard.

GoldStarz

Blarg, getting caught up @-@

Me too. In fact I wouldn't mind if they went all out with them like Gen 4 to wipe off the stink that megas left. Give me a Tauros/Miltank baby, a Jynx evo, a female only Chinchou evo, and many, many more.
You mean a male-only one? The current one is a perfectly fine rep for the female.

They're going to keep forgetting jynx exists unfortunately but I would love to see what they could do with a evo jynx was suppose to be part of that trio anyway
I'm pretty sure it's a 'convenient forgetfulness' to be honest.

Starters please. And please no silhouettes! We've already known about the games for too long, I need concrete info now. The last few months have been filled with fans drawing up starter ideas anyway.
I'm hoping for silhouettes, just not ones for starters or legends but other Pokemon

For customization I only need skin color and muscles. That's it. I don't want to look like a twink
Why did you make me read this? Your character is like... 16 years old max.

Just because every feature you want doesn't make it in doesn't mean GameFreak doesn't listen to their fans. Even simple features can be a huge undertaking in game development. It is annoying how many features are one time things, but GameFreak still tries to improve the series with every game.

I bet customization makes it in, it was loved by everyone and the lack of it in ORAS created what was probably the most vocal and negative response the fanbase has ever had from the removal of a feature.

Diffense

Will they screw us again by releasing the same trailer again with new info in the final second of the "new trailer"

Well, technically, the thread title says "first information" so they could be showing the first information all over again...lol

Kyzer

Banned
I honestly believe they're gonna bring back Pokemon following you, just that it wasn't worth redoing for the new engine in b/w, and it wasn't a priority in XY. But Gogoat riding, soaring, more surf models, its all indicative of them going toward that direction again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom