• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X & Y will not receive post-release patches to game engine

DaBoss

I recommend reading the whole thing, it seems like a nice read. DigitalSpy has been asking some good questions and getting some good info.

emb

Good. Balance patches are awful, so are patches that take out (non game-ruining) glitches. It's pretty rare that I think a game really should get patched. It's also nice to hear they aren't taking a 'release first and fix later' mentality with it like a lot of games these days do. It's pretty annoying to hear about a feature not being in the game, but being ready for a day 1 patch. Like... seriously? You couldn't just finish the game first?

Being slow on balance is a double edged sword. It shows a lot of trust in a game design and a lot of trust in the gamer's abilities to develop a metagame and figure out possible new strategies to counter whatever may be strong early on before another game makes appropriate changes to account for developed strategies.

But for the love of pete, if there is a gamebreaking bug (and not the good kind of gamebreaking, but the "you saved in the wrong spot and cannot progress" or "a door that's supposed to be unlocked isn't" kind of game breaking AKA I'm referring to like every Nintendo game on the Wii) please don't be stubborn and have patch support.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Remind me again how patching is a bad thing?

It's not, but some people have convinced themselves it is because their company of choice neglects to do it. I can see the argument against patching every other week, but when there's obviously broken stuff, it should be addressed. Pokemon games in particular have had game breaking stuff in them, but because there was no patching they just banned the usage of the move that caused it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sky_Drop_glitch

It's not, but some people have convinced themselves it is because their company of choice neglects to do it. I can see the argument against patching every other week, but when there's obviously broken stuff, it should be addressed. Pokemon games in particular have had game breaking stuff in them, but because there was no patching they just banned the usage of the move that caused it.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sky_Drop_glitch

Except he never said they wouldn't patch glitches and broken stuff. He said they wouldn't patch TO REBALANCE. People are reading far too into this and ignoring what was actually said

DaBoss

Except he never said they wouldn't patch glitches and broken stuff. He said they wouldn't patch TO REBALANCE. People are reading far too into this and ignoring what was actually said

While you're right, the title of this thread says otherwise.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Regardless, Nintendo's slowness in adopting online best practices has led to stuff like Twilight Princess having game breaking glitches where the only solution was to either delete your save or get a new physical copy from Nintendo. I really hope the multiplayer will finally have flexible rulesets and will have some system in place that punishes people from disconnecting.

DaBoss

so when you enter a thread your not supposed to read the op and must make a comment based on the title alone.

No, but the OP only contains a quote of the article, not the whole article (not saying the whole article should be up there). Many people don't click the article, so going off the title, one can assume that he talks about patching in general in the link.

Regardless, Nintendo's slowness in adopting online best practices has led to stuff like Twilight Princess having game breaking glitches where the only solution was to either delete your save or get a new physical copy from Nintendo. I really hope the multiplayer will finally have flexible rulesets and will have some system in place that punishes people from disconnecting.

Rating Battles
Play in Rating Battles via the PSS and see your results on the Pokémon Global Link! You'll be able to view your own rating, as well as your world ranking for each of the many battle formats available.

In Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, there will be five battle formats for Rating Battles: Single Battle, Double Battle, Triple Battle, Rotation Battle, and the new Special Battle. Rules for Special Battles will change every three months. During the first season, the Special Battle format will be Single Battle, restricted to the Pokémon that were first introduced in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. The first season is scheduled to begin in late December of this year.

Rating Battle Etiquette
After receiving many requests from players who enjoyed battling online with Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, and Pokémon White Version 2, we have responded by ruling that any Trainer who disconnects from the server in the middle of battle, regardless of reason or circumstance, will have the battle recorded as a loss, and accordingly experience a drop in rating. When you are battling online, please be sure that you have a reliable Internet connection, and play fairly and with consideration for your fellow Trainers!

Busaiku

No problem, they can just fix them/rebalance in Pokemon Z.

KuGsj.gif

Keep making Pokemon threads, they're the only thing holding me over until release :'(

Yes.

Which isn't really applicable as that was made at a time when Nintendo hadn't embraced online really and didn't allow patches. You may point to that but I'll then point to MK7 where it wasn't meant to be patched and they still found a way to

7Th

They're not going to fix Double Team now, and they won't fix it with a patch.

:-\

I honestly wouldn't mind Double Team getting the axe. Same with Minimize. Missing just isn't fun.

"Missing" is an integral part of any other turn-based RPG; what makes Pokémon so special?

Its nice that Game Freak has faith in their game and all but you really don't find OP and broken stuff until it gets into the players hands.

Bullza2o

Which isn't really applicable as that was made at a time when Nintendo hadn't embraced online really and didn't allow patches. You may point to that but I'll then point to MK7 where it wasn't meant to be patched and they still found a way to
I'm sure if GF notices a glitch that makes online battles unfair they'd fix it, like MK7.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? Did they really write that (see bolded part) :

.... don't tell me they didn't realise it was Metagross?!

Wow. Did the translator not know the JP equivalent of Metagross, or did the guys who wrote the article not realise he was writing non-sense?

Anyway, it's clear he's only talking about game balance, not glitches and the likes (thankfully). Which is a pretty healthy mindset, as long as they don't go and ignore balant imbalances if there's some.

I imagine it was the writer of the article simply not knowing. If he knew about competitive Pokémon much at all, he'd know that Metagross was widely used. However, if he didn't know that Metagross was a Pokémon name, I could see how he might hear it as "Metal Grass."

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

why are you pointing to a example thats more than 6 years old when they already have patched things already, hell they even patched skyward sword

sd28821

No, but the OP only contains a quote of the article, not the whole article (not saying the whole article should be up there). Many people don't click the article, so going off the title, one can assume that he talks about patching in general in the link.

This does not change the fact that many did not read the op which had information and instead posted after only reading the thread title .

Somnid

Bad translation or...

Of course you don't plan on making balance fixes, you do it because you inevitably miss something even when you think you didn't. That said, Pokemon isn't a game of balance so I don't think that aspect really needs post-release support.

Unicorn

Great now they need local battling not be gimped. It's unacceptable that basic level scaling for battles in local was non existent (is it in B/W1 and 2?)

Bad translation or...

Of course you don't plan on making balance fixes, you do it because you inevitably miss something even when you think you didn't. That said, Pokemon isn't a game of balance so I don't think that aspect really needs post-release support.

It's a game that at least attempts to be, for a subset of the pokemon (meaning, ignoring the obviously weaker gimmick creatures or lower evos)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
why are you pointing to a example thats more than 6 years old when they already have patched things already, hell they even patched skyward sword

The example is dated, but it's still indicative of Nintendo not getting with the times (back then), a current example would be their lack of a proper account system, but whatever, I'm actually really excited for these games and hope they will indeed have proper balancing. The loss penalty is a step in the right direction, and I hope we'll finally be able to play 6vs6 battles against strangers with things like sleep clause.

Why make a statement like this, I don't understand.

If balance issues arise just fix them. Who cares if you believe you got it right?

Yeah.

I mean obviously it's better to go in with that mindset when making the game than half-assing it and be like whatever we'll just patch that post-launch, but there's no reason to go out of your way and say it outright.

Wichu

Great now they need local battling not be gimped. It's unacceptable that basic level scaling for battles in local was non existent (is it in B/W1 and 2?)

Local multiplayer has supported level scaling since HeartGold/SoulSilver (even if it was only for one battle mode in HG/SS).

I wonder how much Gamefreak is aware of competitive pokemon (on smogon and such). I'm planning to go back if the XY 'metagame' is good, so I'm hoping they really did have a serious look at the game balance. Then again, part of the fun of competitive pokemon is that it's not really designed to be played that way.

EDIT: At least, that is my impression of it.

They definitely have the competitive metagame in mind when they create pokemon games. But I doubt they pay to close attention to what smogon is doing.

I mean it's a japanese company for starters. They're not going to patrol english fan sites for feedback on their game.

Besides smogon is just a little bit too ban happy. I feel like a lot of their rulings are made just to justify smogon's existence.

LaNaranja

The example is dated, but it's still indicative of Nintendo not getting with the times (back then), a current example would be their lack of a proper account system, but whatever, I'm actually really excited for these games and hope they will indeed have proper balancing. The loss penalty is a step in the right direction, and I hope we'll finally be able to play 6vs6 battles against strangers with things like sleep clause.

Pikmin 3 had a day one patch. If something is broken it gets fixed. Believe it or not they are getting better.

Sorry but you're just wrong. Games get patched up, if they're broken, regularly now. It's not a question of if they'll patch it anymore. It's a question of when, and it's usually in a reasonable time period

Sandfox

Because Game Freak are creative geniuses and aren't capable of making mistakes, so why would their games need to be patched?

I expect the metagame to fall apart in under two months.
That's never happened before and i doubt its going to happen now. I honestly don't see how that could even happen unless there's a really bad glitch or something.

I don't really get the connection between what you are saying and the game not getting patched.

PK Gaming

Gamefreak is pretty competent at making their games balanced on its first run, so this makes sense. If they do run into issues, they can address them in the next iteration.(Pokemon Z?) I'm positive that they'll patch out game breaking glitches and the like.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-online-patches-to-rebalance-moves-types.html

Glad that they feel they put the effort in. It's always somewhat annoying to me to see new "balance" patches for games every couple of months
You think balance patches are annoying?

Ok.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That's never happened before and i doubt its going to happen now. I honestly don't see how that could even happen unless there's a really bad glitch or something.

I don't really get the connection between what you are saying and the game not getting patched.

Mostly just general frustration with the way Nintendo's been slow to adapt to online realities. They may be better now, but they took their sweet ass time getting there. The Pokemon franchise in particular had a lot of potential for compelling online features early on, but instead introduced those features but made them local multiplayer only. The Sinnoh Underground and the Entralink for one. Letting you download AIs of random opponents rather than actually letting you battle them live. Introducing a variety of ways to play such as all the Battle Frontier modes and keeping those offline. I'm just fearing history will repeat itself and they'll continue to have the online play be the shadow of what it could be.

Admittedly this only ties into the patching discussion on a tangential plane, but my fear of lackluster online features as a whole is grounded in what Nintendo and GameFreak have done in the past. Things have indeed gotten better, but I'm still not entirely at ease based on how long it took to get there.

Unicorn

Local multiplayer has supported level scaling since HeartGold/SoulSilver (even if it was only for one battle mode in HG/SS).
Hg/ss was terrible for local battling. It had none of the options of online. What scaling are you referring to?

Want to have a six man team scaled to 50 or 100? Nope. How about just 3? Nope. Won't scale down to 50? Have to have exactly level 50 or under. It makes no sense. Did they use servers to factor the scaling? It's just illogical and indicative of modern Japanese game design. Many Japanese developed games have baffling choices such as these in pokemon. Other series by other companies also make odd choices where features that made sense in previous games either get removed or borked on later iterations and sequels.

Dr. Buni

Good. Balance patches are awful, so are patches that take out (non game-ruining) glitches. It's pretty rare that I think a game really should get patched. It's also nice to hear they aren't taking a 'release first and fix later' mentality with it like a lot of games these days do. It's pretty annoying to hear about a feature not being in the game, but being ready for a day 1 patch. Like... seriously? You couldn't just finish the game first?

My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom