• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG headed to iPad

Comandr

Isn't it just that shitty online game you can download for free? Release a real TCG :/

This is just like the real game. You can even add the codes from your real physical booster packs and starter sets to use in the online game. This is just --- digital instead of physical. Every bit genuine Pokémon TGC.

gngf123

Wasn't Pokémon TCG generally kind of crap. Hence why people simply collected the cards rather than actually play the game (or I at least never saw anyone seriously play it).
That was more because nobody had any idea how to play the game. Everyone I knew basically just made up their own rules.

SMK

I was wondering when they were going to make an Ipad version. Played the pc version many years back and thought it was alright. When you bought real booster packs, they would come with a code that got you a virtual pack as well.

People just go download the PC version, you can tell from the screenshot it's the same thing. I'm surprised no one knows about this.

ohlawd

It's pretty neat if you ignore the terrible player avatars. Also, dunno about now but when I played it like half a year ago it didn't let anyone outside of Canada buy booster packs. For some reason.

To anyone mistaking it for that "PTCG Play it!" demo, it's not that one. PTCGO is like the Game Boy game, minus the RPG part, plus the new cards.
ah alright cool. Thanks for answering.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

The only Pokemon TCG that matters.

But really, that is kinda huge and crazy

The player avatars are terrible. And iirc you can't trade cards you bought with in-game coins.

I'd play it if it also launched on IPhone.

-Horizon-

I think you can buy them, but you also get packs, and coins to use to buy packs, for free by playing the game every day.
So like your standard TCG mobile app. I might give it a go (if free) when it releases.

That was more because nobody had any idea how to play the game. Everyone I knew basically just made up their own rules.
Good times, good times. "Do you see my fire spin?"

daydream

Banned
I only knew how to play because of the Gameboy game. Great way to learn.

This game always seemed like a bummer on PC, though. I have installed and uninstalled it on numerous occasions.

xch1n

Also, there is already a PC version of the TCG. This is more MtG Online like than the Pokemon TCG for GBA. It's the whole card game, based around the idea of playing a digital equivalent of the real TCG. Not really as surprising as what I think most people are assuming. But most people also don't know about the PC TCGO.

also

Banned
This is just the barebones game that has been available on PC for years. You can go download and play it right now.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

There's no story mode or anything; all you do is battle against either the AI or other people. You can use custom decks or presets. By battling you earn booster packs and coins. The latter can be redeemed in the shop for more booster packs, theme decks or cosmetic stuff.
You can also redeem codes that you get alongside specially marked booster packs in NA.
AFAIK you can't buy anything directly with real money.

Getting new cards is kind of slow but lately they've been beta testing tournaments (they announce them a day or so before on their forums) where you can get lots of booster packs... if you are lucky enough to win 3 times in a row. They also added a bonus wheel; after each game you get either more coins, a tournament ticket or a mystery box (cards, coins, booster pack...).

Given what I know about the online version of the TCG, this seems like it would be the best way to go with it.

Thanks for the info, I'm quite the newbie in Pokemon TCG, so I thought this game was a new one. Still, waiting for how they will proceed with this.

TCGO is pretty good now (it still has trouble caching/loading new cards). When it was still in beta it was terribly buggy. You get tokens for logging in and playing, and a booster pack every 5 days. The tokens can be spent on booster packs, theme decks, or avatar items.

In-game booster packs and the free ones aren't tradeable though. For that, you'll need codes found in theme decks and retail booster packs. I used to buy them online and off people for about $0.25 each.

Mory Dunz

Also, there is already a PC version of the TCG. This is more MtG Online like than the Pokemon TCG for GBA. It's the whole card game, based around the idea of playing a digital equivalent of the real TCG. Not really as surprising as what I think most people are assuming. But most people also don't know about the PC TCGO.

That seems to be it.

New002

Sounds like I'm good to go with my win 8 tablet then. I'll check it out later.

Khrno

And the only Pokemon TCG we have on the 3DS is the GBC game on the VC. I actually wonder why they never made any DS/3DS versions before.

Hopefully it won't be just on iOS and also gets to Android sometime later, been enjoying the GBC game a lot lately.

also

Banned
TCGO is pretty good now (it still has trouble caching/loading new cards). When it was still in beta it was terribly buggy. You get tokens for logging in and playing, and a booster pack every 5 days. The tokens can be spent on booster packs, theme decks, or avatar items.

In-game booster packs and the free ones aren't tradeable though. For that, you'll need codes found in theme decks and retail booster packs. I used to buy them online and off people for about $0.25 each.

Actually, you can trade the cards that you win in tournaments and those that you get with the bonus wheel.

vareon

There's currently no way to buy packs on TCGO, right? You have to buy actual deck/booster and enter the code?

CTLance

There's currently no way to buy packs on TCGO, right? You have to buy actual deck/booster and enter the code?
If you live in Canada you can take part in their payment beta and buy gems which you then can invest into boosters and stuff.

I can't even begin to imagine the IAPs of this, with starter and booster packs and individual cards and whatnot. This is going to get expensive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

We tried (the actual rules) we seriously tried, but the game bored the hell out of us, so we went back to just collecting them, which is how I came to that opinion.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Guys The Pokémon Company has already dipped their toes into the iOS market so this is nothing new for them.

Plus this seem to be the same as the one can you can play on the PC.

It's my understanding that the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are kept at arm's length from Nintendo, and I'm not even sure Nintendo owns them 100%. So this isn't any indication that other Nintendo franchises are on the way.

No Nintendo does own the majority of the share of the Pokémon Company but they don't dictate how it should be run and just leave it be.

Is it official? Like, a Game Freak release?

Nope Game Freak only does the main series games and those are never leaving Nintendo handheld.

It's my understanding that the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are kept at arm's length from Nintendo, and I'm not even sure Nintendo owns them 100%. So this isn't any indication that other Nintendo franchises are on the way.

I believe Nintendo 100% owns Pokemon and The Pokemon Company, although allows them to act fairly independently. They don't own Gamefreak, as far as I know. There haven't been any in years, but Gamefreak used to make Playstation games as well.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Played the PC Pokemon TCGO; mostly against the AI after claiming codes I got from actual card booster packs. They should make a WiiU app too.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I believe Nintendo 100% owns Pokemon and The Pokemon Company, although allows them to act fairly independently. They don't own Gamefreak, as far as I know. There haven't been any in years, but Gamefreak used to make Playstation games as well.

Nintendo doesn't own Game Freak but they do have shares into the company.

Top Bottom