• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG headed to iPad

This is a more recent charizard card (forgot which expansion)
Rci0hb.jpg
That isn't even the best example of how extreme power creep got.

Tom_Cody

It really seems to just be a flash port of the website game - Adobe has some tools to do just that. All of the actions are basically built to be mouse-compatible.

It's playable, but yeah...compared to Hearthstone it really is the "bare minimum".
Hurm.

This thread has convinced me that I should just play the GBC game instead.

ash_ag

Hurm.

This thread has convinced me that I should just play the GBC game instead.

The above is a false assumption. The game used to run on Flash for its first few versions, but the client is and has been on Unity for a long time now (I believe before it even released as a dedicated app). I wonder how many of the people who aren't content with the UI and whatnot actually tried it within the last 6 months.

That said, I do recommend playing the GBC game instead, because I find it more fun personally. It's important to note that the two aren't interchangeable, however. The GBC game is essentially an RPG with a card-based battle system, while this one is simply a simulator.

Tom_Cody

The above is a false assumption. The game used to run on Flash for its first few versions, but the client is and has been on Unity for a long time now (I believe before it even released as a dedicated app). I wonder how many of the people who aren't content with the UI and whatnot actually tried it within the last 6 months.

That said, I do recommend playing the GBC game instead, because I find it more fun personally. It's important to note that the two aren't interchangeable, however. The GBC game is essentially an RPG with a card-based battle system, while this one is simply a simulator.
Right right. I have come to this conclusion for multiple reasons. As you had said, they aren't direct counterparts and I think I will just enjoy playing that game more.

I have wanted to play that game since it was first released for the GBC, but at the time I decided to hold off on it once Intelligent Systems started making the pokemon-free Card Hero series. I just kept waiting for one of those games to come over here but they never did. I'm just happy that I can easily buy the PTCG on the 3DS virtual console.

vRe04eY.png

If that's Unity, it's really sloppy. I stand by what I said from playing the Canadian build - virtually every action seems like it was built "mouse-first". There are x/check boxes!
Which makes sense, really; it's a chance to reuse all assets and use the same content delivery methods. But it really plays like a Unity PC project that got pushed onto mobile rather than something designed for it intentionally.

Going Retina-only is also interesting - I'd usually say that's evidence of a rush job but maybe Unity is having a problem downscaling streamed assets.

Honestly it is not half bad. Sure they could use a new client in the next years but with their trainer system they could easily transition.

SmokeMaxX

Power creep.

Been playing the game and power creep is pretty insane.

I remember when Professor Oak/Bill/Comp Search/etc etc were OP, but now it seems like it's almost encouraged playing this new game. 20 damage for 1 energy used to be pretty damn good, but now even shitty basics have 70+ HP and attacks are insane (guaranteed status changes, massive damage, massive damage + guaranteed status changes, attacking all opponent's pokemon, healing all of your pokemon, etc.).

So I downloaded this last night and I've played maybe a dozen or so battles. I'm having fun, but I don't know how to build decks (I've got a standard and unlimited deck, but I don't have a "theme' deck), and I can't use my custom deck against the trainers, only random/practice people. Also, the animations are slow, even after turning them off, and the avatar/characters are ugly. I also don't understand how to get new cards.

This just feels incomplete and ugly, which is a shame because I enjoy the fundamentals of the card game (even if it is a bit easy so far, or too dependent on luck).

Neo Child

Banned
So I downloaded this last night and I've played maybe a dozen or so battles. I'm having fun, but I don't know how to build decks (I've got a standard and unlimited deck, but I don't have a "theme' deck), and I can't use my custom deck against the trainers, only random/practice people. Also, the animations are slow, even after turning them off, and the avatar/characters are ugly. I also don't understand how to get new cards.

This just feels incomplete and ugly, which is a shame because I enjoy the fundamentals of the card game (even if it is a bit easy so far, or too dependent on luck).

if its the same as PC play trainer challenges, you level up each character 4 times unlocking stuff each level (like points and cards). think you can also unlock cards by playing the same deck so many times

also play battles online to win points to spend at shop

or buy actual cards in reaL life they have a code

I think I'm just going to quit playing online until I get enough coins to buy better cards or packs or whatever. Last 4 online games I lost due to my opponents drawing these really powerful foil basic cards (when is Charizard considered a basic pokemon????) that basically killed every pokemon of mine in one hit. One guy had someone that did 480 damage to my best character that supposedly had a resistance. I don't mind losing, but a slaughter isn't fun at all. Lastly, it seems like it's going to take forever to get coins. I've played a lot of games so far, and I have only 150 coins.

Too bad I can't scan in my 1st edition Gen One complete set.

lewisgone

I really, really despise the Pokemon.com trainer designs. I'm serious, they actually make me slightly angry. Especially when you think about what trainers look like in the show or the game.

udivision

I think I'm just going to quit playing online until I get enough coins to buy better cards or packs or whatever. Last 4 online games I lost due to my opponents drawing these really powerful foil basic cards (when is Charizard considered a basic pokemon????) that basically killed every pokemon of mine in one hit. One guy had someone that did 480 damage to my best character that supposedly had a resistance. I don't mind losing, but a slaughter isn't fun at all. Lastly, it seems like it's going to take forever to get coins. I've played a lot of games so far, and I have only 150 coins.

Too bad I can't scan in my 1st edition Gen One complete set.

Play the trainer challenge, and get 30000 (?) or however many points you need to fill up the bar on all of them. that's like 45 booster packs if you do it for every league

I really, really despise the Pokemon.com trainer designs. I'm serious, they actually make me slightly angry. Especially when you think about what trainers look like in the show or the game.

Yeah... it is a bit disappointing tbh.

Top Bottom