• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Switch version TBA according to TPCi press page.

tQEBHbZ.png

Did it disappear? I'm only seeing the 3DS version.

Pokken was a boring announcement.
Gold/Silver on the Virtual Console was a great announcement.
Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was a perplexing announcement, since all we got were logos.

Linkark07

Banned
Pokemon is a handheld title. Mainline games aren't coming to Switch for the same reason they never came to Wii U, Wii, Gamecube or N64. This shouldn't surprise anyone but the denial over Nintendo seeing the Switch as primarily a home console appears to be continuing.

So after the 3DS dies, we won't see any mainline Pokemon games?

they may have killed my hype, but I'm still praying for a late port of this to Switch. I'm not sure I can play a Pokemon game set in the same region as the last one in 240p again.

ViciousDS

Banned
Damn

First Pokémon I won't be bothering with

I have a switch, I have no reason to ever want to see Pokémon on that tiny ass 3DS screen again. Plus it just looks insanely outdated with how good switch games have been.

I'll most likely skip this if it's really 3DS only. Already had my fill of Sun/Moon on that system and really only want a Switch game at this point. Disappointed overall.

Switch version TBA according to TPCi press page.

tQEBHbZ.png

It would be neat if this held true though. Hoping TPCi comments and confirms/denies quickly.

Edit: they removed it, damn. Yep, still skipping this one.

Have mainline Pokemon games in the same Gen ever been split across different hardware gens before?

All of Gens 1 and 2 was on GB/GBC. All of Gen 3 on GBA. Gens 4 and 5 on DS. Gens 6 and 7 on 3DS.

It's always been like this. They probably want to keep the userbase completely unified for trading/battling purposes. Expect mainline Pokemon to make its grand debut on the Switch with Gen 8 (hopefully next year).

But why risk all this backlash until then? Why not just announce both simultaneously?
Because then it would turn into excitement in just 1 week's time. It's not like this is coming out now anyway and it just seems odd to make game announcements of the caliber of Pokemon 1 week prior to their big Direct. Idk something's up. Plus add all the other tiny details people picked up on

The Switch TBA label is certainly weird, especially given trailers of today. Sounds like it could be considered a leak! They could have just said it's coming to Switch later, so the idea was probably to get some double (quad?) purchases... or it could just be a monumental mistake at the least fitting time, I don't know.

Brofield

It's just one of the scenes from the pre-rendered intro video like in S/M, don't look too hard into it.

The 3DS cannot output a screen that clean looking on 400x240px display, and given GFs track record there would be a lot more anti-aliasing involved. I'm betting the farm on this.

mazillion

But why risk all this backlash until then? Why not just announce both simultaneously?
It's only a week though. The backlash would be history if Nintendo could steal the E3 spotlight with a Pokemon for Switch. Not saying that's what they're doing but it could work.

Megatron

Is there a summary of what ultra moon and sun are? And can a mod add the OT? Have they said if existing users can pay to upgrade to ultra?

Have mainline Pokemon games in the same Gen ever been split across different hardware gens before?

All of Gens 1 and 2 was on GB/GBC. All of Gen 3 on GBA. Gens 4 and 5 on DS. Gens 6 and 7 on 3DS.

It's always been like this. They probably want to keep the userbase completely unified for trading/battling purposes. Expect mainline Pokemon to make its grand debut on the Switch with Gen 8 (hopefully next year).

Yeah, generations have never crossed over, aside from remakes, but it's different now for some reason.
Don't ask me why though.

Megatron

It's only a week though. The backlash would be history if Nintendo could steal the E3 spotlight with a Pokemon for Switch.

Eh. You just had a direct devoted just to pokemon a week before e3. Why have a direct at all if you were going to save the only meaningful announcement for e3?

Seiniyta

It is a strange error to make on a website that only really uses the DS family and with only the Pokkén as a Switch title now.

Someone had to go out of their way to add that line internally. It could just be a brainfart by an employee but it's still puzzling.

Top Bottom