• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken to also feature LAN multiplayer between two Wii Us

Neoxon

I doubt it will happen but what are the chances of seeing Pokken at Evo?
Now that local LAN is confirmed, there's a decent chance. It's by no means a guarantee, but it's certainly not impossible. And if Nintendo & Namco add to the pot, that would only increase the game's chances of being featured at EVO 2016.

I'm stunned to see a 30fps drop for local multiplayer.

It is managing two perspectives at once. Think how this happens in Pokemon X and Y, and this is just two idle models.

onlinebattle2.jpg

There is still a huge hurdle for competitive adoption because having to buy two of everything to make one setup sounds like it could get either very expensive or very time consuming.

Neoxon

There is still a huge hurdle for competitive adoption because having to buy two of everything to make one setup sounds like it could get either very expensive or very time consuming.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing that Nintendo provides set-ups for major Smash 4 tournaments. They could do the same for Pokkén Tournament

JoeM86

Why did they go for such a solution?

The way the game works, the gameplay often snaps between 3D and 2D depending on how you move and what you do.

If they did it split screen, that'd be janky as hell.
If they did it where one player just controlled from the distance, it'd give a significant advantage to the player in the foreground as the focus is on them.

This game was designed for each player to have their own viewpoint. It's not a standard 2D or 3D fighter.

udivision

I guess the "problem" here is that this game was designed for arcades. At the end of the day, the Wii U is getting a port. It's not like this game was built with only Wii U in mind.

This is what the page says

LANケーブルで2台のWii Uを接続し、60fpsで楽しめるモードもございます。
"There's also a mode you can enjoy in 60 FPS if you connect 2 Wii U together with an ethernet cable."

Just in case there was any doubt over what this means. And yes, "LAN Cable" is just Japanese for Ethernet cable.

JoeM86

"There's also a mode you can enjoy in 60 FPS if you connect 2 Wii U together with an ethernet cable."

Just in case there was any doubt over what this means. And yes, "LAN Cable" is just Japanese for Ethernet cable.

I am so glad you have reaffirmed that. I have been starting to doubt it haha. That'd have been a mega "oops" :p Had two of my translators check, since it is huge news, but still was starting to hesitate.

test_account

XP-39C²
The way the game works, the gameplay often snaps between 3D and 2D depending on how you move and what you do.

If they did it split screen, that'd be janky as hell.
If they did it where one player just controlled from the distance, it'd give a significant advantage to the player in the foreground as the focus is on them.

This game was designed for each player to have their own viewpoint. It's not a standard 2D or 3D fighter.
I was under the impression that it was a standard fighting game, but after checking some more recent Youtube video, i see thats not the case. Then it makes sense :)

I am so glad you have reaffirmed that. I have been starting to doubt it haha. That'd have been a mega "oops" :p Had two of my translators check, since it is huge news, but still was starting to hesitate.
You're welcome. I was too, which is why I did my own attempt at a translation. lol

Yay LAN~ Excited to go to friend's house and play 60FPS Pokken~

Top Bottom