• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
He's a man who's literally just going to be sitting there during the debates. Doubt we'll even notice him. Him being invited is not the same as Flowers being invited. Let Trump go off the deep end. He'll show himself not fit.

Clinton just needs to be above it all and talk about policy.

Btw this thing was already going to be a circus. Trump has already claimed it'll be rigged against him. He's most likely going to bring up and say stupid shit.
They just don't need it. The media is gonna focus on both of them now, tangentially, but still.

Why? They don't need this.

The fuck is a clock truther?

Ahmed (the Muslim boy arrested for building a clock and bringing it to school) "made" a clock that wasn't a real invention (LIKE HE CLAIMED IT WAS!) and, really, maybe he was looking to draw attention to himself by making it look like a bomb (... because it had wires or something?) so that he would get arrested and could sue the state.

There are a lot of different version of the conspiracy, no one settled on a common conspiracy narrative. People didn't want to believe that a Muslim child could be racially profiled so blatantly.

Cuban believes in some parts of the clock conspiracy theory and that's uncomfortable.

starmud

I don't see how this hurts Clinton, the narritiave would be that trump is petty or a circus... and he couldn't handle mark Cuban being in attendance? Lol

PBY

Banned
I don't see how this hurts Clinton, the narritiave would be that trump is petty or a circus... and he couldn't handle mark Cuban being in attendance? Lol
I don't think it will hurt. But I still don't like it, because there's no upside and he's a shitty ally.

Effect

I would imagine his reaction also opens him up to people asking why he reacted the way he did. That opens the door to that Cuban is a billionaire and it's provable. Where Trump just claims to be one and refuses to release his tax returns, etc. so no one knows for sure and many believe he isn't and how that bothers Trump in the end. Even if this becomes about Trump around the debate it's not a good narrative to have because so much of it leads back to him negatively. The best thing he could have done was shut the hell up but he couldn't help himself. This is after he said he was going to be nice and respectful to Hillary. The next day that goes out the window.

Bowdz

I think he's a bad ally. And I think the more this turns into a circus the worse it is.

Just unnecessary.

Dude, have you seen Cuban's Philly rally? He is a phenomenal surrogate that connects beautifully to a lot of the same people who are voting for Trump. As for having him at the debate, he's a surrogate for the campaign and has been for months. It's nothing new or special to have them at a debate. Inviting the mistress of your opponent's spouse who is not one of your own surrogates is stupid and impulsive.

PBY

Banned
Dude, have you seen Cuban's Philly rally? He is a phenomenal surrogate that connects beautifully to a lot of the same people who are voting for Trump. As for having him at the debate, he's a surrogate for the campaign and has been for months. It's nothing new or special to have them at a debate. Inviting the mistress of your opponent's spouse who is not one of your own surrogates is stupid and impulsive.
What do you want me to say? Trumps move is way worse, but Cuban sucks. Just don't think he needs to be around, and Hill doesn't need someone to appeal to Trump voters. Fuck them, motivate your base.

With the bright TV lights shining on stage and the audience in relative darkness, will either candidate even be able to see the audience during the debate?

Bowdz

What do you want me to say? Trumps move is way worse, but Cuban sucks. Just don't think he needs to be around, and Hill doesn't need someone to appeal to Trump voters. Fuck them, motivate your base.

She can walk and chew gum at the same time. She and the core campaign should be focused on appealing to and turning out the Obama coalition, but they can have their army of surrogates appeal to other constituencies too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Let Trump invite her. Gives Clinton a perfect "You're running against me, not my Husband" moment.

Honestly most people here seem to be worried that no matter what Trump has a "narrative" no matter how the debates go. Which I think is a weak defense. The debates will still be about policy and if Trump gets distracted by a man sitting in the audience. Guess what? It's another thing to show he probably shouldn't be President.

We're worried about the media narrative. I don't think anyone expects Trump to do better in the Debate, but the media has been pretty lousy, and I can see them playing up the horse race angle.

Debirudog

What has Cuban done other than Clock truthirism that would taint Clinton as "both sides are bad?". The media would look really shitty if they dare try to cover on Gennifer Flowers and they would be met with a lot of blacklash. Yes, Bill's a philanderer, but Hillary has nothing to do with it.

What has Cuban done other than Clock truthirism that would taint Clinton as "both sides are bad?". The media would look really shitty if they dare try to cover on Gennifer Flowers and they would be met with a lot of blacklash. Yes, Bill's a philanderer, but Hillary has nothing to do with it.

Inviting Cuban is not nearly as bad as inviting Flowers, especially since Hillary is just inviting Cuban to troll Trump's lack of wealth.

Cuban just annoys me. I think it's a good political strategy, but is just personally annoying.

royalan

We're worried about the media narrative. I don't think anyone expects Trump to do better in the Debate, but the media has been pretty lousy, and I can see them playing up the horse race angle.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here: ever since Trump played the media with that birther "denouncement" media coverage has been a bit more fair. I've been seeing Trump get called a lot more in the press, and CNN/MSNBC aren't letting his surrogates get away with nearly as much. I think it has finally sunk in for the media at large that it's a serious knock to their credibility to keep playing this as "both sides" when they're dealing with such unequal candidates.

If Hillary keeps her cool (and delivers a BRIEF answer to the email question), I still see Trump getting mostly negative coverage. Because even when he tries to be "presidential" he looks like a child that's just been scolded. Anybody remember his debate pout?

thefro

I can't see any scenario where Flowers being there isn't a non-factor or a net positive for Clinton.

It'll backfire on Trump hard if he brings it up.

Question, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the audience be instructed to not make any noise during the debates (unlike the primaries). I think this is a massive disadvantage for Trump since his crappy one-liners won't be able to elicit any responses.

Part of the reason he thrived in that shitshow of te GOP debates was the nature of the audiences.

thebloo

Question, correct me if I'm wrong but won't the audience be instructed to not make any noise during the debates (unlike the primaries). I think this is a massive disadvantage for Trump since his crappy one-liners won't be able to elicit any responses.

Part of the reason he thrived in that shitshow of te GOP debates was the nature of the audiences.

Yup. It'll be like those sad videos with a blowhorn. Can't wait.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can't see any scenario where Flowers being there isn't a non-factor or a net positive for Clinton.

It'll backfire on Trump hard if he brings it up.

I can't imagine Trump is dumb enough to bring up Bill's infidelity. Clinton can not only hit him back by saying that he's running against her, not her husband, but she can hit back on his own infidelity.

I think Trump's entire strategy will be to keep bringing up Emails, the Clinton Foundation, and Benghazi.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't imagine Trump is dumb enough to bring up Bill's infidelity. Clinton can not only hit him back by saying that he's running against her, not her husband, but she can hit back on his own infidelity.

I think Trump's entire strategy will be to keep bringing up Emails, the Clinton Foundation, and Benghazi.

"If she can't satisfy her husband how can she satisfy the country?"

I think we're seeing Trump work himself into a shoot.

Maledict

Are we sure that trump won't do an incredibly tacky 'she's there in the audience, will you apologise to her for what your husband did?' Line. I mean, it's terrible and would backfire horrendously, but I wouldn't put it past him.

I feel like if Trump says something outlandish that hurts him again, that'll be something new and completely unexpected that makes Hillary laugh, and the media will go with the narrative "both sides
choked
!"

Are we sure that trump won't do an incredibly tacky 'she's there in the audience, will you apologise to her for what your husband did?' Line. I mean, it's terrible and would backfire horrendously, but I wouldn't put it past him.
Frank Underwood tried that and it backfired immediately, but I'm guessing Trump has never seen House of Cards.

Boke1879

It's possible. All Clinton has to do is pivot away from that. Say something along the lines of "That's not why we're here. We're here to discuss issues that Americans are worried about." Something like that.

It would be incredibly dumb for Trump to bring that up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IN THIS CORNER

weighing 98 pounds

The Sire of Statistics
The Commissioner of Censuses
The Deacon of Demographics

Nateeeeee GODDDDDCOHNNNNNNN

and in this corner

weighing 99 pounds

The Poo Pundit
The Mischievous Modeler
The Sad Sack of Stats

Bad Nate SILLVVERRRRRR

CrazyDude

Overheard this Trump supporter customer at work say that all foreigners need to go with the whole they are taking are jobs thing. Had to hold myself back from saying anything.

royalan

Part of me feels like something like this is likely.

Trump has shown this entire election that he craves the attention being on him, even if it's negative. He won't be able to beat Hillary on substance, or looking presidential. A much more subdued audience won't play into his insults.

Once the debate progresses and it dawns on him that he's losing, I fully expect him to say the most outrageous thing he can think of to make that the only thing coming out of the debate that people talk about.

Y2Kev

In what context could you even bring up that stuff?

Mr. Trump, you have said that mexicans are rapists. How do you respond?

HILLARY'S HUSBAND IS A RAPIST HILLARY APOLOGIZE NOW

I just realized that no matter what happens in the debate fox news will say trump won by a landslide since for some reason debate internet polls are always raided by Trump trolls so that he gets like 90% or something ridiculous

PBY

Banned
In what context could you even bring up that stuff?

Mr. Trump, you have said that mexicans are rapists. How do you respond?

HILLARY'S HUSBAND IS A RAPIST HILLARY APOLOGIZE NOW

They get opening and closing statements no? It doesn't matter, I don't think anything matters anymore.

She'll "win" the debate because she'll look like the adult.

I just realized that no matter what happens in the debate fox news will say trump won by a landslide since for some reason debate internet polls are always raided by Trump trolls so that he gets like 90% or something ridiculous

"Did she look sick to you?"

"She looked like she didnt want to be there"

"Trump looked so strong"

"Trump is so confident"

Y2Kev

They get opening and closing statements no? It doesn't matter, I don't think anything matters anymore.

She'll "win" the debate because she'll look like the adult.

He's going to bring up Bill Clinton's sexual affairs in an opening statement?

Debirudog

3donottell.gif

HylianTom

Banned
If Trump makes any reference to Flowers or Bill's other peccadilloes, we'll be able to step outside and actually hear the gender gap sealing shut on him in real-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom