• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
https://twitter.com/lmoliva_/status/808844577763377152

Hysteria

CzmXzIAXUAADTXS.jpg

It would depend on how the question is phrased. The question just implies people overestimate the size of their respective muslim minorities, unless the person is a demographer it is to be expected. Obviously the outliers like France and Belgium are cause for concern.

Pixieking

Banned
I'm not sure the media highlighted that particularly well during the 2016 election, so I'm not sure my faith would be real high about that going forward.

Horse-race general election is over, so the requirement to keep on pressing how bad Hillary is has evaporated. Also, to be honest, lots of people expected Trump to a) lose and b) pivot, so he was great entertainment fodder that wasn't examined as closely as he ought to have been. Now that he's a) won and b) obviously not going to pivot, the media are realising how fucking awesome Hillary was. The "fanfic" element of this possible NYC candidacy shows you how much the media would like to have someone who is nice and smart and knowledgeable and charismatic without being egotistical.

I also personally think she'd have an easy-ride in the decent media (WaPO, New Yorker, LAT, NYT) as an act of contrition for fucking her election chances over.

royalan

Horse-race general election is over, so the requirement to keep on pressing how bad Hillary is has evaporated. Also, to be honest, lots of people expected Trump to a) lose and b) pivot, so he was great entertainment fodder that wasn't examined as closely as he ought to have been. Now that he's a) won and b) obviously not going to pivot, the media are realising how fucking awesome Hillary was. The "fanfic" element of this possible NYC candidacy shows you how much the media would like to have someone who is nice and smart and knowledgeable and charismatic without being egotistical.

I also personally think she'd have an easy-ride in the decent media (WaPO, New Yorker, LAT, NYT) as an act of contrition for fucking her election chances over.

Hillary not being in the picture only solves one problem of the media: false equivalence.

It doesn't solve their other failures. Mainly, their inability to directly call Trump out on his bullshit for fear of not being seen as objective.

I mean, when the media is actually questioning whether or not to call Trump's lies "lies" you know our media has a problem. That problem being that most operating in the news media are utterly useless.

After this year, I don't ever expect the media to do its job. Democrats need to learn how to work with that.

Okay, but she is also 70 years old and a former first lady. Why would she spend her final years arguing with NYC union leaders over contracts and shit.

Because instead of ever choosing the easier path to fortune, she always picked public service.

Why not give an opportunity to some newer Dem since you all complain about that lack of bench so much.

I just addressed this!

She's not going to run for anything again.

She's going to spend the rest of her life working with her very successful foundation.

She'll never get over the fact that she lost, a feeling she'll share with Mitt, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole, and Dukakis. They never will.

She knows that her place right now is not in the public eye.

Just let her fucking be.
Aye.

dramatis

Okay, but she is also 70 years old and a former first lady. Why would she spend her final years arguing with NYC union leaders over contracts and shit.

Why not give an opportunity to some newer Dem since you all complain about that lack of bench so much.
You know how old the governor of California is?

I'm not arguing for her to run, but age is less of a concern for a governorship I think.

kirblar

Hillary not being in the picture only solves one problem of the media: false equivalence.

It doesn't solve their other failures. Mainly, their inability to directly call Trump out on his bullshit for fear of not being seen as objective.

I mean, when the media is actually questioning whether or not to call Trump's lies "lies" you know our media has a problem. That problem being that most operating in the news media are utterly useless.

After this year, I don't ever expect the media to do its job. Democrats need to learn how to work with that.
The media is mono white. It's a huge problem.

You gotta love when a big, bold headline in your local newspaper is on the third page: "TRUMP CALLS HACKING INVESTIGATION A WITCH-HUNT"... Instead of the you know, Putin orders hacking or something along those lines, and on the front page where it belongs the day after all that information was revealed. They straight up buried the lead. It then says below the headline "but Trump has apparently "softened" his stance after attending the briefing". It's like why is your headline some incredibly stupid thing he said the day before? The rest of the article is also shitty.

I'm annoyed by this and now i want to send them an angry letter, lol.

Ogodei

She's not going to run for anything again.

She's going to spend the rest of her life working with her very successful foundation.

She'll never get over the fact that she lost, a feeling she'll share with Mitt, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole, and Dukakis. They never will.

She knows that her place right now is not in the public eye.

Just let her fucking be.

It's different for her compared to the sitting Senators, who went on to do other stuff. For her, Gore, Dukakis, and Mitt, the presidential loss was a career-ender, and that's the burn, that you ended your career on a failure, not that you experienced a failure sometime during your career (because who hasn't done that? Aside from Trump, who only seems to fail upwards).

The problem in this day and age with being a presidential loser is that you've been raked over the coals so thoroughly that you'd have too much baggage to run for anything else (unless you're a sitting legislator and want to hold your position).

Diablos

I've been driving through and even stopping in some deep red areas here in Western PA, and while it's always been conservative outside of Allegheny County, I feel blindsided. I'm finding it hard to comprehend how ultra conservative it has become. It doesn't even seem like I'm in a northeastern/mid Atlantic state in some places.

I'd get so much anxiety in 2012 knowing how crazy some people out here were getting, but I never thought they'd outnumber the more heavily populated and centrist/Dem parts of the state. It's fucking unbelievable. I think PA's next gov is going to try and turn this state into Kansas. It might work. Wolf is doomed.

Finalizer

I've been driving through and even stopping in some deep red areas here in Western PA, and while it's always been conservative outside of Allegheny County, I feel blindsided. I'm finding it hard to comprehend how ultra conservative it has become. It doesn't even seem like I'm in a northeastern/mid Atlantic state in some places.

I'd get so much anxiety in 2012 knowing how crazy some people out here were getting, but I never thought they'd outnumber the more heavily populated and centrist/Dem parts of the state. It's fucking unbelievable. I think PA's next gov is going to try and turn this state into Kansas. It might work. Wolf is doomed.

why did a mod remove your tag, it was so fitting before

kess

By the way, the PA gas tax increase was voted on by the Republican PA legislature and signed by Corbett, but there's some asshole gas station near me that has THANKS TOM WOLF on their counter...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Saw this in Off topic

Mr. Kushner, who declined to be interviewed for this article, has hired a leading Washington law firm, WilmerHale, to advise him on how to comply with federal ethics laws should he join the White House staff as an adviser to the president. The firm has concluded that one potential sticking point, a federal anti-nepotism law, is not applicable, though not all ethics experts agree. While the law prohibits federal officials from hiring relatives for agencies they lead, Mr. Kushner’s lawyers argue, among other things, that the White House is not an agency and is therefore exempt.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/0...ics&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/94QcvTXnWK

mo60

Wouldn't worry about it. PA will turn blue again in the future. Trump got an insane turnout in rural areas which won't always occur. Wolf the current governor of PA is probably a bit safer now after Trump's win.

Ogodei

Wouldn't worry about it. PA will turn blue again in the future. Trump got an insane turnout in rural areas which won't always occur. Wolf the current governor of PA is probably a bit safer now after Trump's win.

Yup. Midterms being bad for a sitting President's party is probably a godsend to Tom Wolf (neither here nor there to Casey, who's enough of a non-entity to probably be safe).

Plus they've got beer in the grocery stores now, which is a genuine "Thanks Tom Wolf."

Plus the shale gas is coming back with the imminent rise in oil prices. My dad said the group he works for (which makes steel forgings used a lot in shale work) did very well in 2016 after an anemic 2014/15. Long as we don't have another year-long budget crisis, the factors should help Wolf cling to power.

I like how Kushner is probably the dumbest member in the Trump inner circle other than Uday and Qusay and Kushner is now going to be the shadow president.

Cool, cool.

This hillary talk is so disgusting. Weigel had a good piece and ended on a great line that gets at why its so disgusting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...that-we-learn-nothing/?utm_term=.9968b1e7eb24

But the most basic problem is how it erases recent history. The theory of Hillary Clinton, candidate, entranced Democrats and media for a generation. She could do no wrong, until she began running for president, and then she could do no right. If you are not a member of the media, this seems deeply strange and phony. If it looks like the media's going to lionize Clinton in defeat only so it can piñata her as a candidate, it seems not just strange, not just phony, but like the behavior of people who are more interested in entertainment than in the politics of peoples' lives.
Yup. Midterms being bad for a sitting President's party is probably a godsend to Tom Wolf (neither here nor there to Casey, who's enough of a non-entity to probably be safe).

Plus they've got beer in the grocery stores now, which is a genuine "Thanks Tom Wolf."

Plus the shale gas is coming back with the imminent rise in oil prices. My dad said the group he works for (which makes steel forgings used a lot in shale work) did very well in 2016 after an anemic 2014/15. Long as we don't have another year-long budget crisis, the factors should help Wolf cling to power.

Wine too?

They ended the monopoly?

OMG I can finally consider moving to Philly when NYC prices me out.

mo60

I like how Kushner is probably the dumbest member in the Trump inner circle other than Uday and Qusay and Kushner is now going to be the shadow president.

Cool, cool.

I have a feeling some form of corruption committed by trump or his administration will probably hurt trump chances of winning in four year time or the republican presidential candidate right after him in 8 years. Trump still has yet to divest from his businesses and members of his family like Ivanka and Kushner and probably going to play a big role in his administration which may be good or bad.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why would Hillary even want to run for governor? That's a pretty big step down from President.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have a feeling some form of corruption committed by trump or his administration will probably hurt trump chances of winning in four year time or the republican presidential candidate right after him in 8 years. Trump still has yet to divest from his businesses and members of his family like Ivanka and Kushner and probably going to play a big role in his administration which may be good or bad.
Not a chance.

Why would Hillary even want to run for governor? That's a pretty big step down from President.
Well it's not like she became President.

It would be similar to Jerry Brown, except he wasn't the nominee. He also took a very long break and then worked his way back up to governor. (Mayor, attorney general, governor again)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well it's not like she became President.

It would be similar to Jerry Brown, except he wasn't the nominee. He also took a very long break and then worked his way back up to governor. (Mayor, attorney general, governor again)

Good point.

But Hillary has way more name recognition, so it would seem like a downgrade.

dramatis

Are we sure that people in NYC like her???
Brooklyn has a spate of Jewish neighborhoods (Hassidic (sp?)), there's no helping that.

I hope the margin in Queens wasn't because of Asians (although I suspect it might have been).

As for Staten Island, it's the conservative chunk of town. Part of that is because there's no easy public transport connected to Staten Island, so there's probably less minorities there than the other boroughs. One of the things the Republicans did in 2011 was cut a chunk of Brooklyn into a Staten Island district instead, so the result is there's a part of southern Brooklyn that's being represented by a Republican. How absurd.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brooklyn has a spate of Jewish neighborhoods (Hassidic (sp?)), there's no helping that.

I hope the margin in Queens wasn't because of Asians (although I suspect it might have been).

As for Staten Island, it's the conservative chunk of town. Part of that is because there's no easy public transport connected to Staten Island, so there's probably less minorities there than the other boroughs. One of the things the Republicans did in 2011 was cut a chunk of Brooklyn into a Staten Island district instead, so the result is there's a part of southern Brooklyn that's being represented by a Republican. How absurd.

Part of me thinks the margin in Queens might be down to Middle Village. Trump won what is essentially the entire neighborhood and it's very white.

Also, here's a fun map that shows how every neighborhood in the state voted.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/nu...p-election-results-voting-general-primary-nyc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom