• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone teach this rapist a thing or two. Let's get some economic sanctions on this country.

President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday raised the possibility of declaring martial law if the judiciary will get in the way of his ongoing war against illegal drugs.

Duterte made the remarks after Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno wrote him a letter as regards the seven judges that Duterte named in his list of alleged coddlers of drug dealers.

Sereno had said that the judges Duterte tagged in drug trafficking should not surrender to law enforcers unless there were warrants for their arrest.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...tm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=GMANewsTwitter

"As you know, I'm fighting with [US Secretary of State John Kerry's] ambassador. His gay ambassador, the son of a whore. He pissed me off," Mr Duterte said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...nt-rodrigo-duterte-calls-us-envoy-gay/7717106

Guess who's a fucking superpower, dipshit?

jbug617

Banned
Possible bad news for Christie.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/n...on-bridge-case.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey lied to reporters when he said he did not believe any senior member of his staff knew about the plot to block traffic to the George Washington Bridge, one of his aides told a colleague in a text message that was part of a court document filed on Wednesday.

“Are you listening?” the aide, Christina Renna, texted a colleague. “He just flat out lied,” Ms. Renna wrote. Then she added that if certain emails were discovered, “it could be bad.”

According to a filing in United States District Court in Newark, Ms. Renna sent those texts on Dec. 13, 2013, as Mr. Christie was fielding questions from reporters about his knowledge of the alleged scheme to tie up traffic three months earlier on the New Jersey side of the bridge. The filing was made by lawyers for Bill Baroni, who was Mr. Christie’s top executive appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the bridge.

Federal prosecutors contend that two lanes leading to the bridge were abruptly closed to punish the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee, N.J., for declining to endorse Mr. Christie’s bid for re-election. Mr. Baroni and Bridget Anne Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to Mr. Christie, a Republican, are scheduled to stand trial in that case next month.

If democrats win the senate (51-53 dem senators) and the House (5-15 seat lead) I'd imagine Hillary's first term agenda would look like:

-A jobs bill with infrastructure spending and tax reform for small businesses+lower corporate tax rate
-Something aimed at women (universal pre-k) or young people (college affordability)
-Supreme Court justice to replace Scalia

She'll still have to deal with the filibuster, which would certainly make issues like universal pre-k or "free college" nonstarters unless she getsrid of it. An attempt at immigration reform would be met with fierce opposition and would likely fail. I could imagine the administration aiming at some smaller immigration related bills. Once Scalia's replacement is confirmed I'd also expect some immigration executive actions as well.

If democrats win the senate (51-53 dem senators) and the House (5-15 seat lead) I'd imagine Hillary's first term agenda would look like:

-A jobs bill with infrastructure spending and tax reform for small businesses+lower corporate tax rate
-Something aimed at women (universal pre-k) or young people (college affordability)
-Supreme Court justice to replace Scalia

She'll still have to deal with the filibuster, which would certainly make issues like universal pre-k or "free college" nonstarters unless she getsrid of it. An attempt at immigration reform would be met with fierce opposition and would likely fail. I could imagine the administration aiming at some smaller immigration related bills. Once Scalia's replacement is confirmed I'd also expect some immigration executive actions as well.

Immigration reform would probably be one of the easier things to pass with a Democratic House. It's something that you'd actually get R votes for.

Teggy

Trump tweet:

Trump is apparently refuting the story that the Secret Service had a conversation with his campaign about his Second Amendment comment yesterday.

Trump maybe correct for once?

Reuters PoliticsVerified account
‏@ReutersPolitics
UPDATE: Secret Service never formally spoke to Trump camp about gun rights comment - government official.

‏@ReutersPolitics
UPDATE: Secret Service never formally spoke to Trump camp about gun rights comment - government official.

Odds are they didn't mention the specific comment but told him to check himself in general.

You gotta do college stuff and some simple fixes to the ACA that would help people releave their costs.

Also immigration (as it takes that out of the electoral equation) and infrastructure for the general economy.

Boke1879

‏@ReutersPolitics

"formally" I wonder what that means then. I bet they just said "hey man. Tone it the fuck down."

Bowdz

They just need to work quickly if the get the house and Senate. No guise of bipartisanship, just start ramming shit through to ensure that her agenda is implemented when the the GOP inevitably takes them back in 2018. She should not make the same mistakes that Obama did.

They just need to work quickly if the get the house and Senate. No guise of bipartisanship, just start ramming shit through to ensure that her agenda is implemented when the the GOP inevitably takes them back in 2018. She should not make the same mistakes that Obama did.
I don't think she will. She's been way harder on the GOP than Obama ever was during his campaign.

TS-08

CNN is sticking by their story

My guess is someone talked to him, but it wasn't some kind of official investigation. Either way, the Secret Service probably won't elaborate on it, so Trump will get to continue to say CNN made up the story because they are out to get him.

It's impossible to pass amnesty with the filibuster since any Republican that votes for cloture will get primaried. Amnesty is basically Hillary's main promise she's made throughout the campaign.

She should get rid of the filibuster since the Republicans are a failed political party that will do it whenever they get power. Paul Ryan's indifference towards the calls for political assassination prove that this is no longer a party that respects liberalism or democracy.

Immigration reform would probably be one of the easier things to pass with a Democratic House. It's something that you'd actually get R votes for.

I'd disagree. Let's assume Clinton focuses on the economy first before tackling immigration. Her economic platform+SC judge(s)+foreign policy issues would take up most of 2017. Immigration becomes a summer 2017/early 2018 issue. Midterms are in November. Congressmen are facing protests and town hall anger. Most congress people don't want that heat. Then you have to deal with congressmen telling the WH or congress leadership "you want me to vote to give something to a group of people who don't even show up and vote in midterm elections." It's going to be a hard sell.

sangreal

immigration reform is a house problem, not senate as the gang of eight bill demonstrated

it probably could have passed the house too, so really its a leadership problem

This is a democracy not a dictatorship. "ramming stuff through" without consensus or thought from the other side is troubling.

The alternative right now with the Reps in Congress is a bunch of disingenuous arguing ending with a no vote because the leader of the House or Senate made their agenda "Making sure Hillary Clinton is a one term president".

You can't argue in good faith with bad actors.

My guess is someone talked to him, but it wasn't some kind of official investigation. Either way, the Secret Service probably won't elaborate on it, so Trump will get to continue to say CNN made up the story because they are out to get him.
In fact CNN is saying there have been more than one conversation with Trump. SS is probably gonna flush out that dude.

This is a democracy not a dictatorship. "ramming stuff through" without consensus or thought from the other side is troubling.

The consensus on the other side is that Hillary is an illegitimate president who should be in prison and that calls to murder her are fine and reasonable.

What compromises can you make in that situation?

It is only troubling when it's a matter of trying to force your agenda as opposed to it being a matter of trying to get anything done. The GOP-controlled Congress has made it very clear that their goals are to oppose Obama (and other Democrats).

immigration reform is a house problem, not senate as the gang of eight bill demonstrated

it probably could have passed the house too, so really its a leadership problem

Yep. The idea that it's unpassable doesn't jive with past attempts at immigration reform. And Trump causing a Hillary wave that topples the House isn't going to make it harder to pass it.

andthebeatgoeson

Blue dogs won't hunt.

The other side doesn't want to offer consensus. They have given up on governing.

They have actively been trying to shut the Government down and cause failure to reduce public trust. I'm not happy with either %50 trying to push thier rule over the other half but I think we have reached the point of...as my grandfather said... 'fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads'

Yep. The idea that it's unpassable doesn't jive with past attempts at immigration reform. And Trump causing a Hillary wave that topples the House isn't going to make it harder to pass it.

I mean, that was prior to the Republicans nominating a man who believes all undocumented immigrants are rapists and drug dealers and Republican voters clearly agreeing with that idea.

I mean, that was prior to the Republicans nominating a man who believes all undocumented immigrants are rapists and drug dealers and Republican voters clearly agreeing with that idea.

The Republican leadership isn't going to want to embrace Trumpism after it costs them control of Congress. And Trump fans have shown no ability to primary anyone.

Retro

But ramming stuff through requires that the Democrats make gains in the House, Senate and Executive, and that is democracy; the people elected them to that position, after all. And after 8 years of being the "Party of No", refusing to govern (which is the job they were elected to do) and explicitly focusing on making Obama a one-term president no matter how much it hurts the country? Republicans deserve a good ramming.

If you have the House, the Senate, and the Presidency, it is by definition not ramming anything. Unless their docket is all stuff that goes counter to the platform and campaign promises.

Bowdz

Well, if the Dems take back the house and Senate in DEMOCRATIC elections and pass legislation with majorities (even simple one if they need to nuke the filibuster), it is an entire Democratic process. The lesson everyone on the left should have learned from the past 8 years is that the GOP are not interested in negotiation in good faith or passing any joint legislation with the Dems. The most substantial bipartisan bills that were passed in the last 6 years were: fiscal cliff spending/tax bill, omnibus spending bill, and the VA reform bill. We can and should do better and if the GOP doesn't want to help, then they can start winning elections to democratically pass their legislation.

Slacker

My low-information friend is sharing up a storm on Facebook today. First the doctors diagnosing Hillary via a grainy picture. Then the RFK thing. And the icing on the cake, the rape victim.

The rape victim chaps my hide the most, and not just because they're exploiting this poor person to get Donald Effing Trump elected. Literally the complaint that as a defense attorney Clinton defended her client. I swear, the disconnect between what Republicans say about this country/the constitution and how they actually feel is staggering. They despise the most sacred fundamentals this country was founded on, and they would absolutely shred the Constitution if they had the chance. They literally hate living in a free country. And this is the party that claims ownership of patriotism. I can't think about it too long because I get a headache, someone snaps a photo of me with my hand to my head from 20 yards away, then Dr Marc Seigel diagnoses me with an aneurysm tumor on Fox News.

Ok sorry back to work.

My low-information friend is sharing up a storm on Facebook today. First the doctors diagnosing Hillary via a grainy picture. Then the RFK thing. And the icing on the cake, the rape victim.

The rape victim chaps my hide the most, and not just because they're exploiting this poor person to get Donald Effing Trump elected. Literally the complaint that as a defense attorney Clinton defended her client. I swear, the disconnect between what Republicans say about this country/the constitution and how they actually feel is staggering. They despise the most sacred fundamentals this country was founded on, and they would absolutely shred the Constitution if they had the chance. They literally hate living in a free country. And this is the party that claims ownership of patriotism. I can't think about it too long because I get a headache, someone snaps a photo of me with my hand to my head from 20 yards away, then Dr Marc Seigel diagnoses me with an aneurysm tumor on Fox News.

Ok sorry back to work.

Just ask the dude if he believes in the Constitution, and point out that it provides for due process.

White, college educated women are coming through.

CphKmgtWIAA65JU.jpg:large

These guys are fucking nuts:

Of course, in the long run, it is possible that fewer animals will be produced due to
veganism, since slave-owners will have reduced incentives for production.But reduced
breeding does nothing to save lives or alleviate suffering. Rather, it simply prevents
animals from coming into existence. If we think veganism "saves lives," on existence
grounds, we should also say that the Chinese government saved lives by forcibly
sterilizing its citizens. The babies prevented from being born would have eventually died,
after all, and often in miserable conditions.

What relevance does this have to do with discussing a hypothetical (that I didn't even start)?
Those 25 extra seats stolen from Republicans is the only way to get majority in the house, which is what you mentioned. And your post had the hypothetical in it and it was the first I read. So I didn't notice it was part of the broader discussion.

TheFatOne

Why is anyone actually covering this moron climbing a building. Shit isn't news. Shouldn't be covering this moron. U.S. media blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom