• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonShula

Per CNN this morning, McConnell aides expected him to decide on timing of the vote after lunch today. But it sounds like the "no's" are still being courted into this evening. Would be an interesting tell if McConnell put a stake in the ground on voting without knowing whether Trump can flip "no's" tonight.

Teggy

Dat GOP control.

Fixed.

I'm really curious to see the next Gov campaign - you've got people in the administration getting charged with manslaughter over Flint and Snyder is going to be campaigning on his accomplishments?

Edit: nvm he's term limited. Still will be bad for Rs

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Per CNN this morning, McConnell aides expected him to decide on timing of the vote after lunch today. But it sounds like the "no's" are still being courted into this evening. Would be an interesting tell if McConnell put a stake in the ground on voting without knowing whether Trump can flip "no's" tonight.

Trump can probably flip the No's sadly.

Blader

Would it be better or worse if Senate Rs blocked from the bill from even getting to the floor? I feel like that would just be like when Ryan pulled the first floor vote on AHCA: embarrassing at the time, but it still keeps the bill alive for future negotiations. A floor vote with a majority of the Senate opposing the bill would be a much more public embarrassment and do more to kill its future prospects, no?

AndyD

aka andydumi
God forbid they work on improving the health care plan we already have, instead of wasting time trying to supplant it with an inferior one all in the name of brinkmanship.

That's what people said all along, since ACA was passed.

I'm wondering what they even expect Trump to do?

Johnson and Lee both oppose it for reasons that can only be fixed by delaying the vote. They don't really oppose the bill, just the process. They're likely the easiest to flip to yes, but it involves risking a vote in late July.

Heller and Collins are solid nos with little room for negotiation (unless they want to end their careers in shame)

Rand Paul is a stubborn mule, but could possibly be flipped, but he seems to need a lot of convincing

Ted Cruz wants everything under the sun. He can be flipped, but at what cost to...

The leftover moderates that are very unconformable and are seriously wondering if their seat is in trouble if they vote for this

Then you have the insurance lobby breathing down their necks to not pass this. Healthcare industry lobbies breathing down their necks to not pass this. AARP. Conservative groups. Pretty much every major special interest group in Washington.

According to reports he spoke to Lee yesterday so he failed there.

He spoke to Rand over the weekend as well.

Vixdean

Trump can probably flip the No's sadly.

Of all the things I'd be hand wringing about, this is at the bottom of the list. Trump has zero legislative negotiating skills or leverage with Congress, he's the literal definition of an empty suit. They may flip, but will have nothing to do with Trump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm wondering what they even expect Trump to do?

Johnson and Lee both oppose it for reasons that can only be fixed by delaying the vote. They don't really oppose the bill, just the process. They're likely the easiest to flip to yes, but it involves risking a vote in late July.

Heller and Collins are solid nos with little room for negotiation (unless they want to end their careers in shame)

Rand Paul is a stubborn mule, but could possibly be flipped, but he seems to need a lot of convincing

Ted Cruz wants everything under the sun. He can be flipped, but at what cost to...

The leftover moderates that are very unconformable and are seriously wondering if their seat is in trouble if they vote for this

Then you have the insurance lobby breathing down their necks to not pass this. Healthcare industry lobbies breathing down their necks to not pass this. AARP. Conservative groups. Pretty much every major special interest group in Washington.

He spoke to Rand over the weekend as well.

So basically everything the House went through before they still passed the bill.

I'm actually starting to think there is a decent shot they let this die for now. Seems to be almost a toss up now

Im still leaning toward a last minute push with senators saying they have no choice but to "save" healthcare and they don't have time to wait for fixes

Wilsongt

A Christian nonprofit run by Jay Sekulow, the most visible member of President Donald Trump’s private legal team, targeted poor and unemployed donors to raise millions of dollars for Sekulow’s family and their businesses, the Guardian reported Tuesday.

Documents obtained by the Guardian show that, in the midst of the Great Recession, Sekulow signed off on contracts that instructed telemarketers for Christian Advocates Serving Evangelism (CASE) to urge retirees on fixed incomes and others who said they could not afford a donation to find it in their hearts to contribute a “sacrificial gift.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/report-jay-sekulow-steered-millions-donations-to-own-family

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/27/trump-lawyer-jay-sekulow-donations?CMP=share_btn_tw

tenor.gif

I'm baffled as to why the Senate put forward a bill that, despite their writing it from scratch, obviously never had enough promised votes. All the people openly opposing now were surely on the fence or opposed while it was being drafted. Their opposition was 100% expected and anticipated but the leadership still wanted to shove a piece of shit out for a vote? Poor form, Republicans.

I take at least a tiny bit of comfort that there's opposition from Rs in states with the medicaid expansion actually giving a shit about hundreds of thousands of their own voters being directly impacted. It's a rare case of Senators actually representing the state they're from and the specific circumstances they face. We just really need an announce on a delayed vote. PLEASE. Then I can stop stressing over this. For now. Until they rewrite it again in 2 months after people have forgotten about it again. Sigh. Oh, wait, they have to actually come up with a budget, lol. It's actually downhill for congress from here, somehow.

Hopefully this is the start of what costs the GOP the House in '18, and we can only pray they don't even have an Obamacare repeal to show for it.
Why not? They have been wanting this for years.
They're going to catch even more shit from the media and the general public if they put making a budget on hold to try to keep health care running forever. Plus that's a thing that's entirely indefensible, since any reasonable person can mention that they can work on it more at their leisure later and not try to force it via reconciliation.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
By the way, a delay is still a victory when the stakes are this high. Push the bill back 3 months and you've bought millions of Americans 3 months more of health insurance. The closer you push it to the midterms, the better.

I'm baffled as to why the Senate put forward a bill that, despite their writing it from scratch, obviously never had enough promised votes. All the people openly opposing now were surely on the fence or opposed while it was being drafted. Their opposition was 100% expected and anticipated but the leadership still wanted to shove a piece of shit out for a vote? Poor form, Republicans.

I take at least a tiny bit of comfort that there's opposition from Rs in states with the medicaid expansion actually giving a shit about hundreds of thousands of their own voters being directly impacted. It's a rare case of Senators actually representing the state they're from and the specific circumstances they face. We just really need an announce on a delayed vote. PLEASE. Then I can stop stressing over this. For now. Until they rewrite it again in 2 months after people have forgotten about it again. Sigh. Oh, wait, they have to actually come up with a budget, lol. It's actually downhill for congress from here, somehow.

Hopefully this is the start of what costs the GOP the House in '18, and we can only pray they don't even have an Obamacare repeal to show for it.

There's no bill that can get all the votes they need. They are too divided. I think this is McConnell's best attempt at getting most everybody, and then trying to buy-off the holdouts. And if it fails, on to Tax Cuts.

But they still ended up passing a similar bill.

Yes, and this will certainly come up again even if it's tabled for now. BUT, part of the reason the House bill sneaked through last time was because everyone assumed it was not coming up again. That trick only really works once. At a minimum, opposition will be watching for another try from the Senate this time. Another reason is that the House reps could still consider the second bill a "punt" into the Senate and then it's out of their hands. Anything that comes back from the Senate now is up for a go/no-go vote.

I'm not saying a second try from the Senate can't pass. But it's not going to be as "easy" as the second House bill this time, either.

We've got a Schrodinger's Healthcare Bill now. No way of knowing whether or not it'll pass until an attempt is made.

I live in a state with two Dem Senators, so I feel pretty much impotent to do anything about this.

Dierce

republicans always fall in line. This is just a show for them, tax cuts for the rich is their priority and they will do anything to get it. I just hope someday a democratic president has the guts to propose at least a 50% tax on the wealthy.

For some reason, this seems odd to me. Does this mean they have the votes or does this mean that they will vote on it without knowing they have the votes or not?
It means they don't have the votes today so they're pushing to back in the hope that they'll have them tomorrow. If they don't you'll likely see one more delay. If this vote goes back to Friday the bill is dead until at least after the recess.

I figured if they were going to hold a vote, it'd be on Wednesday. Leaves room for the House to do House stuff through Thursday and Friday.

For some reason, this seems odd to me. Does this mean they have the votes or does this mean that they will vote on it without knowing they have the votes or not?

If they had the votes, they'd do the vote today. They're hoping they'll have the votes by tomorrow

Which seems really aggressive of a time line for the 10+ deals they have to make.

Daria

I figured if they were going to hold a vote, it'd be on Wednesday. Leaves room for the House to do House stuff through Thursday and Friday.

Were they going to vote on this originally on Thursday or was that just a rumor? I wouldn't think they want a repeat of last time when they held a vote just to watch it fail.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If you guys think Cruz and Paul will not vote yes when they literally are the last ones standing in the way of getting rid of Obamacare, you don't get it. They will vote no only if MANY others are voting no, other than that they will vote yes at the last minute after having gotten the spotlight on themselves. Neither Paul nor Cruz is afraid of backlash from their constituents for getting rid or Obamacare, so they will vote Yes.

Yes, and this will certainly come up again even if it's tabled for now. BUT, part of the reason the House bill sneaked through last time was because everyone assumed it was not coming up again. That trick only really works once. At a minimum, opposition will be watching for another try from the Senate this time. Another reason is that the House reps could still consider the second bill a "punt" into the Senate and then it's out of their hands. Anything that comes back from the Senate now is up for a go/no-go vote.

I'm not saying a second try from the Senate can't pass. But it's not going to be as "easy" as the second House bill this time, either.

Exactly. And for anyone who doesn't believe this, Mark Sandford explicitly said that he only voted for the house bill in the hopes that the Senate version would be much better.

Paul Ryan already said he would put whatever the Senate passes up to an up or down vote in the house, which means the senators know that if they vote for this piece of shit bill, they are stuck with it.

If you guys think Cruz and Paul will not vote yes when they literally are the last ones standing in the way of getting rid of Obamacare, you don't get it. They will vote no only if MANY others are voting no, other than that they will vote yes at the last minute after having gotten the spotlight on themselves. Neither Paul nor Cruz is afraid of backlash from their constituents for getting rid or Obamacare, so they will vote Yes.

I don't think anyone doubts that those two fucks would cave if needed. The question is if the rest of the nos can hold. So theoretically there is less work for McConnell to do because he can lose two votes and not worry about Cruz and Paul torpedoing the bill.

Maxim726X

Pretty surprised to see Warren say this.

It's not even accurate... He wanted single payer too.

It would be like blaming Sanders if his 'free college' idea didn't get passed if he was president. Of fucking course it wouldn't, but it's not his fault. That pesky Congress, always getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom