• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
From all reports it is hard to keep his attention on anything for longer than about half an hour. If he had his druthers I am sure he would love to just golf all day and give an occasional speech at a rally, and that would be "being President" for him. He cares nothing for health care policy, or any policy really, beyond putting a "win" on the board.
He bitched about Obama golfing and vacationing all the time and thought that was all the President had to do. He wanted that.

I mean remember his comments about how he thought the presidency would be easier than his old life? Like... what?

UberTag

Uggggh

Now I have my dad sending me the video of the CNN guy and saying essentially "see it's all made up"

Fucking hell
Either ignore your Dad or humor him like he's a 6-year-old showing you the scribbles he drew in class.
Offer to put the URL for that CNN vid up on the fridge so you can show the neighbors.

Its a good point. I mean this is EXACTLY how the House bill passed. The OG sucked, it flopped, the opposition to the bill relaxed somewhat but the coverage definitely waned. Then they barely changed the bill and it passed.

That's not how the House bill passed!

The coverage the second time was also terrible and people didn't let up once the bill came back, what happened is that the block of holdouts from the House bill were from the Freedom Caucus, and they had the math when the bill came back!

Do you guys remember a few weeks ago?

The coverage the second time was also terrible and people didn't let up once the bill came back, what happened is that the block of holdouts from the House bill were from the Freedom Caucus, and they had the math when the bill came back!

And a lot of house members voted on it because it was going to the senate where they'd just throw it out and write a new bill anyway. It was the literal definition of kicking the can. Or hot potato.

In other news, Dems get the candidate they want against Claudia Tenney.

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/in...laudia_tenney_for_congress_in_upstate_ny.html

WASHINGTON -- State Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi plans to announce Wednesday that he will challenge U.S. Rep. Claudia Tenney in the 2018 election, according to two Democratic sources familiar with his decision.

Brindisi, 38, a Democrat from Utica, invited supporters to an "important announcement" at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Liberty Bell Corner Park in Utica at which the sources said he will launch his campaign.

Brindisi had flirted with seeking the Democratic nomination in 2016 after the retirement of former Rep. Richard Hanna, R-Barneveld, but ultimately decided to stay in the Assembly.

Now he has decided to take on Tenney, a first-term conservative Republican from New Hartford, who until this year had served along with Brindisi in the Assembly.

Brindisi is likely to receive strong backing from New York and national Democrats in his bid for the 22nd Congressional District seat, which Democrats have targeted as one of their top national priorities in 2018.

He will become one of two Democrats seeking the party's nomination for the congressional seat. SUNY Binghamton professor Patrick Madden launched his campaign in May.

The 22nd Congressional District covers all of Madison, Oneida, Cortland and Chenango counties and a portion of Oswego, Broome, Herkimer and Tioga counties.

Brindisi, the father of two, began his political career as a member of the Utica School Board. He later fought in Assembly to increase education funding for lower-income school districts.

Brindisi has also shown an independent streak as a Democratic moderate, at times criticizing Gov. Andrew Cuomo. But some of his credentials will likely appeal to conservatives, including his top "A" rating from the National Rifle Association.

Brindisi held a mock "State of the State" address without the governor in his home district in January after he accused Cuomo of "ducking Utica for months."

Brindisi criticized the governor after Austrian chip maker AMS announced in November that it had abandoned plans to build a manufacturing plant at the state-owned Marcy Nanocenter, a 400-acre site near Utica.

PBY

Banned

I mean... you've effectively restated what I said, except that the opposition now is from the center. People didn't let up, but it wasn't the same kind of fervor and media coverage as when the initial CBO score dropped.

I mean... you've effectively restated what I said, except that the opposition now is from the center. People didn't let up, but it wasn't the same kind of fervor and media coverage as when the initial CBO score dropped.
I honestly question if you actually recall what happened during those weeks.

So in retrospect, was making this bill in secret a bad move?

No, but it didn't matter in the end.

It isn't just from the center this time. It's from Paul too.

He's only one vote but in this scenario it's about as difficult to work with if he stays a no as the FC was in the House.

I honestly question if you actually recall what happened during those weeks.
I do think the opposition to the bill was still strong up until the vote but it felt much stronger just before it died the first time. That's not how it passed but it certainly felt like there was less urgency to stop it the second time. Lack of CBO helped big time.

PBY

Banned
It isn't just from the center this time. It's from Paul too.

He's only one vote but in this scenario it's about as difficult to work with if he stays a no as the FC was in the House.
Sure, but he's not going to be the reason this dies.

Yes it did. It got dramatically worse to the point where the True Conservative revolt from the right capitulated and they didn't lose enough votes from the center.

I mean, its all relative. It got worse, but not "dramatically worse" whereby it capitulated to the original demands of the HFC.

Sure, but he's not going to be the reason this dies.

I mean, its all relative. It got worse, but not "dramatically worse" whereby it capitulated to the original demands of the HFC.

Okay, I don't care about your definition of what is "worse" and what is "dramatically worse." But NONE of that has to do with people "not paying attention." The bill was adjusted and made worse to get conservative support from people who were already inoculated from progressive pressure anyway!

PBY

Banned
But NONE of that has to do with people "not paying attention." The bill was adjusted and made worse to get conservative support from people who were already inoculated from progressive pressure anyway!

Yes it did. The timing the second time around was extremely abridged, and there was no CBO score to point to. It didn't have the media coverage that the original vote did.

The house also moved FAST with the bill. From draft to passing it in like 3 days.

This time around there's going to be a week or two delay where a new CBO report will come out (20 million unisured in the news again), along with an entire week of Senators being harassed by lobbyists and being contacted and yelled at by their constituents.

There's a reason McConnell wanted to move fast and was trying to replicate the way the House bill passed. The rush of WE MUST PASS SOMETHING GOGOGOGOGOGO from the House bill isn't going to be here.

PBY

Banned
The house also moved FAST with the bill. From draft to passing it in like 3 days.

This time around there's going to be a week or two delay where a new CBO report will come out (20 million unisured in the news again), along with an entire week of Senators being harassed by lobbyists and being contacted and yelled at by their constituents.

There's a reason McConnell wanted to move fast and was trying to replicate the way the House bill passed. The rush of WE MUST PASS SOMETHING GOGOGOGOGOGO from the House bill isn't going to be here.

Agreed.

Yes it did. The timing the second time around was extremely abridged, and there was no CBO score to point to. It didn't have the media coverage that the original vote did.

If you actually think that's the reason the second bill passed, I don't really know what to say. That's not all why the bill was able to pass.

It passed because of people who were already inoculated from pressure!

It wouldn't have mattered at all for the votes that they had, because almost all of the opposition from the House came from the right and was a complete smokescreen the first time compared to the Senate bill, which has had most of its pressure from the center.

Are you a member of any Indivisible or similar groups? Because the alarms were sounding big time. Media coverage isn't everything and not the best way to judge what kind of pressure these groups are putting on Congress.

Are you a member of any Indivisible or similar groups? Because the alarms were sounding big time. Media coverage isn't everything and not the best way to judge what kind of pressure these groups are putting on Congress.

Also, this! But the votes they needed from the first round were from the Freedom Caucus and people inoculated from center pressure.

Teggy

Fahrenthold strikes again!

David Fahrenthold @Fahrenthold

UPDATE: @time has asked the @realdonaldtrump's businesses to remove the phony magazine covers from their walls.

Chris R

Uggggh

Now I have my dad sending me the video of the CNN guy and saying essentially "see it's all made up"

Fucking hell

It doesn't help to have someone from CNN saying something might be made up, never mind the fact that the person is a medical segment producer and probably wouldn't have access that a top news producer would and that the things he was saying were his personal thoughts. Just makes it look like the whole "fake news" thing might have an ounce of truth, even when we know it doesn't.

UberTag

Now I'm a Moderate Darling, too!

image.php
Great avatar.
I like how that one lock of hair is attempting to bolt upright in outrage like an ahoge.
Like she's slowly turning into a Danganronpa protagonist.

Fahrenthold strikes again!

David Fahrenthold @Fahrenthold

UPDATE: @time has asked the @realdonaldtrump's businesses to remove the phony magazine covers from their walls.
He can replace them with the inevitable Man of the Year cover he'll be awarded from Time this December.

I think Nate Cohn is right, here.

@Nate_Cohn
Sure seems like something is up in Kansas
--Brownback, of course
--KS-4 result
--Clinton > Obama
--Moran

@Nate_Cohn
The open race in KS-2 looks pretty interesting in light of all of that, IMO, esp w Paul Davis running

Not to say that Kansas will be deep blue in 2020, but I'm curious to see what happens in 2018.

It doesn't help to have someone from CNN saying something might be made up, never mind the fact that the person is a medical segment producer and probably wouldn't have access that a top news producer would and that the things he was saying were his personal thoughts. Just makes it look like the whole "fake news" thing might have an ounce of truth, even when we know it doesn't.

Exactly this. It just feeds into that conspiracy nonsense.

It really would be kind of amazing if Brownback made Kansas move left permanently. Really too bad that there isn't a Senate election there this year, if Brewer can get elected and we used his coattails to pick off a KS senator that would be the dream.

Still, if we can get a new governor and two representatives out of there that would be a big deal.

Vimes

Someone very clever—certainly someone much cleverer than whoever had trained that imp—must have made the clock for the Patrician’s waiting room. It went tick-tock like any other clock. But somehow, and against all usual horological practice, the tick and the tock were irregular. Tick tock tick…and then the merest fraction of a second longer before…tock tick tock…and then a tick a fraction of a second earlier than the mind’s ear was now prepared for. The effect was enough, after ten minutes, to reduce the thinking processes of even the best-prepared to a sort of porridge. The Patrician must have paid the clockmaker quite highly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It really would be kind of amazing if Brownback made Kansas move left permanently. Really too bad that there isn't a Senate election there this year, if Brewer can get elected and we used his coattails to pick off a KS senator that would be the dream.

Still, if we can get a new governor and two representatives out of there that would be a big deal.

I've been saying that I'm super curious to see how Kansas goes: if there's a genuine blue counterswing or if Brownback just finally found the floor to what the populace will accept and they'll resettle right above it

Surfinn

Wittes went radio silent today. The additional tick tick post from yesterday was pretty dumb especially considering he's acknowledged twice now that he doesn't know when it's dropping.

Man it sounds so juicy. Hope it delivers

I've been saying that I'm super curious to see how Kansas goes: if there's a genuine blue counterswing or if Brownback just finally found the floor to what the populace will accept and they'll resettle right above it
I think KS-3 (the district with Kansas City) will likely be a lean blue seat if we can unseat Yoder. We've had the seat before and it went for Hillary last election and it's favorable enough that I think it would be relatively safe if we get an incumbent in there.

I don't think it'll turn into a swing state for statewide elections except for maybe the occasional governor (would be genuinely great if Brewer wins next year though) but it is nice to dream. Even if it isn't many EC votes having a couple senate seats within reach would be genuinely huge.

PBY

Banned
Wittes went radio silent today. The additional tick tick post from yesterday was pretty dumb especially considering he's acknowledged twice now that he doesn't know when it's dropping.

Man it sounds so juicy. Hope it delivers
Stop doing this lol

Also from Costa
HELLER is back at the table, but far from being a "yes," per two Republicans close to the process. Willing to discuss concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom