• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not exactly any sort of grand revelation that Van Jones is an idiot or that CNN will focus on certain stories while ignoring others for ratings.

All these O'Keefe videos do is make their "most trusted name in news" slogan seem more ridiculous than it already was. Nobody watches CNN for quality journalism.

The O'Keefe videos don't do anything because they consist literally entirely of falsehoods.

Coincidentally, CNN is also a trash network run by trash executives.

I wish we could nuke the NC GOP from orbit. Of all the branches of the Republican Party they are easily the most insidious.
Not really honestly. There are others that are in actuality, worse, but aren't being threatened/pushed or losing ground on their power so they aren't as desperate. Others would expose themselves to be far worse if they were facing the same situation as NC as it becomes more purplish

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
60% support Medicare for all (until they don't)

Right. The right-wing will pepper the airwaves with stories of inordinate waiting times and medical rationing to show the "danger" of a government-run system. Just run on the public option and emphasize that people can buy in to Medicare if they dislike or can't afford their private insurance. That way, they'll feel as though they made the decision and haven't been forced into some inferior government insurance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fox News‏Verified account @FoxNews

.@DrMarcSiegel: "The opioid epidemic can also be linked to the overuse of Medicaid."

These freaking people.

No. Because not enough young people have well enough paying jobs to provide a lot of funding to the Medicare system.

So people would stil go without.

/armchair out of my ass analysis

How does the UK's NHS manage? Or I should say, if it weren't subject to Conservative mismanagement and underfunding, how it would manage? They have the same problem with young people and poor job prospects. Or is there a difference between their way of funding through general taxation versus our method of funding Medicare through FICA tax? If we passed Medicare for All, wouldn't it be similar to the NHS in that every citizen would be entitled to use it, the only difference being that they have public hospitals and we have many private ones?

Or have I completely misunderstood the UK system because I know little about it?

PBY

Banned
Right. The right-wing will pepper the airwaves with stories of inordinate waiting times and medical rationing to show the "danger" of a government-run system. Just run on the public option and emphasize that people can buy in to Medicare if they dislike or can't afford their private insurance. That way, they'll feel as though they made the decision and haven't been forced into some inferior government insurance.

Ya'll gotta stop doing this man. The Right is going to inevitably do this for anything the Dems run on, you can't run in fear. Its what did Hillary in. We need a bold vision that WE can own and control the messaging on.

@NPR
POLL: Trump retains his loyal base, but his overall disapproval among Americans has reached record highs. http://n.pr/2tlsiv1

DDbj-8fWsAAv5qf.jpg:large

Approve: 37
Disapprove: 51

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I seriously want to meet one of that 4% who identifies as a Democrat and strongly approves of Trump and ask them what their fucking deal is.

oops.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...est-6-28?t=1498679209855#update-1498679205000

WI-Sen: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that wealthy businesswoman Nicole Schneider is the latest Republican who has ruled out challenging Democratic Sen. Tammy Baldwin next year, according to an unnamed source closer to Schneider, although there’s no word from Schneider herself. While Schneider doesn’t appear to have run for office before, her wealth gives her the potential to self-fund.

Baldwin could be vulnerable as she seeks a second term in a state Trump carried by less than 1 point last November, but Republicans have yet to land any prominent candidates. However, several Republicans have previously said they’re at least thinking about it, including wealthy businessman Eric Hovde, state Sen. Leah Vukmir, state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, state Rep. Dale Kooyenga, and others.

Plinko

Leigh Ann Caldwell‏Verified account @LACaldwellDC

Sen Capito "still looking at" motion to proceed

I don't quite understand the reasoning. This is political suicide.

Perhaps the rumors of them expecting a Russia backlash and trying to ram everything through beforehand are true.

Approve: 37
Disapprove: 51

The number for Independents there is the most important one of the bunch, and that spells good news for democrats.

That Daily Kos link also talks about the MA gubernatorial election and Baker's popularity. I've become convinced that if Martha Choakley ever wins anything, it'll trigger the apocalypse.

60% support Medicare for all (until they don't)
Yup, attach the next Dem president's name to it and suddenly you'll get at least 50% disapproval. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, just that we've already seen this before with ACA. People support the individual components of ACA just fine (except the mandate), but once it became Obamacare people divided themselves amongst their usual partisan lines.

Plinko

It's crazy to me that republicans do not realize that if they actually improved on the ACA, they would be in great standing with the American public and be in prime shape for 2018.

It's crazy to me that republicans do not realize that if they actually improved on the ACA, they would be in great standing with the American public and be in prime shape for 2018.

I KNOW RIGHT???

All they had to do is shore up some of the weaker elements of the ACA, with D votes cause of course that wouldn't pass with House R's. Rebrand it Trumpcare/Republicare and have the easiest win possible.

JWiLL

Banned
I seriously want to meet one of that 4% who identifies as a Democrat and strongly approves of Trump and ask them what their fucking deal is.

What % do you think identify as Democrat/Liberal, strongly disapprove of Trump but also strongly disapprove of the primary figureheads for the Dems being dinosaur blowhards like Schumer, Pelosi and Franken?

I KNOW RIGHT???

All they had to do is shore up some of the weaker elements of the ACA, with D votes cause of course that wouldn't pass with House R's. Rebrand it Trumpcare/Republicare and have the easiest win possible.
They're more worried about being primaried than they are about losing to Democrats is the problem. They all feel pretty safe in their shitty octopus tentacle R+5 districts.

You also have to consider that while I could see Trump and McConnell wanting to work with Democrats if it meant a win, Ryan is far more ideological than either of them. If they're going to do a healthcare bill it'll be on his terms and that means destroying Medicaid.

kirblar

What % do you think identify as Democrat/Liberal, strongly disapprove of Trump but also strongly disapprove of the primary figureheads for the Dems being dinosaur blowhards like Schumer, Pelosi and Franken?
0%, because those people don't identify as Dems.

(And by those people, I mean people dumb enough to lump Franken in with party leadership)

They're more worried about being primaried than they are about losing to Democrats is the problem. They all feel pretty safe in their shitty octopus tentacle R+5 districts.

You also have to consider that while I could see Trump and McConnell wanting to work with Democrats if it meant a win, Ryan is far more ideological than either of them.

Oh I totally get that.

Schumer, Pelosi and... Franken?

What an odd inclusion. Franken is one of the most levelheaded senators around and he's massively popular.

From the LOL Kentucky article:

Sorting out the way forward is agonizingly complex. Kentucky’s Medicaid expansion and successes under the Affordable Care Act are largely the result of former Gov. Steve Beshear, a Democrat who is out of office now. Meanwhile, Gov. Matt Bevin, a Republican elected in 2015, is pushing for a Medicaid waiver from the federal government that includes requirements for many beneficiaries to work or participate in job training.

Uninsured rate down 12% because a Democratic governor cared enough to take the Medicaid expansion offered by a Democratic president and Congress.

They'll never make the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom