• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
baby-the-fuck-you-say.gif

Expanding Medicaid did cause an increase in opioid addiction but that's just because expanding Medicaid caused an increase in access to medicine.

Medicine was very bad with regards to opiods, we should have used marijuana instead.

But the core of the argument is "medicine is bad" which is one of the most radical ideas of all time if Republicans actually believed it.

chadskin

As President Donald Trump lashes out at former President Barack Obama for failing to take a harder line against Russia for election meddling, Trump's own advisers are struggling to convince him that Russia still poses a threat, according to multiple senior administration officials.
"I've seen no evidence of it," one senior administration official said when asked whether Trump was convening any meetings on Russian meddling in the election. The official said there is no paper trail -- schedules, readouts or briefing documents -- to indicate Trump has dedicated time to the issue.
In a recent closed-door briefing on Capitol Hill, National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers expressed frustration to lawmakers about his inability to convince the President to accept US intelligence that Russia meddled in the election, according to a congressional source familiar with the meeting.

Another congressional source said Rogers has shared concerns with lawmakers about the lack of White House focus on the continued threat from Russian cyber efforts, particularly relating to US voting systems. In addition, the US intelligence community sees such potential threats not only from Russia but also from China, North Korea and Iran.

One intelligence official said the intelligence community continues to brief Trump on Russia's meddling in the election as new information comes to light. The source said the President appears no less engaged on issues surrounding Russian election meddling than on any other matters covered in the presidential daily brief. But the official acknowledged that Trump has vented his frustration with officials outside of the briefings about the amount of attention paid to the investigation into Russian election interference.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/28/p...uggle-convince-trump-russia-threat/index.html

🤔

JWiLL

Banned
I already rolled my eyes at that.

I've never really been impressed by his showings. I just picture him stumbling and reading from a tiny law book during the Gorsuch hearing.

Not saying he's party leadership...just one of the more well known senators.

Does anyone actually like Pelosi?

PBY

Banned
Read further down the lady's Twitter thread. She speculates that they've found a monetary paper trail and cites a request for FinCEN documents that, as she correctly recalls, "was big news for a day."

Who is this woman really? Why do we care about her speculation?

This is the shit that annoys me about all of this Russia stuff lol, ya'll sound like you've lost it.

Read further down the lady's Twitter thread. She speculates that they've found a monetary paper trail and cites a request for FinCEN documents that, as she correctly recalls, "was big news for a day."
Read further down and she's telling people to go read Louise Mensch. C'mon guys let's stop posting speculation from randos on twitter.

kirblar

Given that this is the first time we've seen a fizzle from Wittes, the spec that the WaPo/NYT/etc got asked to sit on their article seems incredibly plausible given that Mueller's investigations has been rapidly increasing in scope.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Twitter thread mentioned the infamous Louise Mench

She didn't cite Mensch, she said she got something right though. I don't follow LM or think she's reliable but a lot of the circle around her have been, which is who this lady is saying to look to in terms of chatter

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Given that this is the first time we've seen a fizzle from Wittes, the spec that the WaPo/NYT/etc got asked to sit on their article seems incredibly plausible given that Mueller's investigations has been rapidly increasing in scope.

I was thinking either this or that the story is big enough that journalists were making sure their sources were 100% correct.

From the LOL Kentucky article:

Uninsured rate down 12% because a Democratic governor cared enough to take the Medicaid expansion offered by a Democratic president and Congress.

They'll never make the connection.
I went to a rally in '14 when Lundergan Grimes lost to McConnell. It was surreal because Elizabeth Warren spoke, and spoke a lot about Obamacare/Kinect and its impact in Kentucky. Then Grimes spoke and didn't mention it. The year after, Jack Conway lost to Bevin in my opinion because he didn't adequately tie himself to Kynect and Bevin to repeal. Hopefully future Dems (like Andy Beshear) will recognize what a boon it is and run on it and win on it. 2019 is our next shot at the governor's house, and Bevin said he supported the Senate bill, and he is not popular, either.

The FinCEN story came from the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal. I believe that part but not the rest of her bullshit.

Here you go.

This, wtf, yall really gotta stop.

She offered theories just as people here do. Of course we shouldn't believe those because she knows as much as any of us. But she MENTIONED (not Menschned) a story from May that could plausibly play a part in this. I've linked that story above.

Yes, I know, Russian boogeyman distracts from Medicare for All and your policy fantasies, but this shit continues to be a big deal.

Steven Dennis‏Verified account @StevenTDennis 35m35 minutes ago
More
You're going to want to read our next Senate health care story. Dropping in a bit.

PBY

Banned
She offered theories just as people here do. Of course we shouldn't believe those because she knows as much as any of us. But she MENTIONED (not Menschned) a story from May that could plausibly play a part in this. I've linked that story above.

It doesn't matter. That's what I hate about this Russia stuff - its all people just posting unsubstantiated theories that muddy the waters and send people running in all kinds of conspiratorial directions based on - fucking nothing.

Chumley

Banned
That thread is straight fanfic shit. Says basically WaPo has the smoking gun on Trump but is sitting on it, which would make no sense even if Mueller himself asked them to sit on it.

Rules to live by:

Tweets from the likes of Louise Mensch and Claude Taylor aren't really worth posting.

Tweets from people who are followers of the above aren't really worth posting either.

Anything that sounds like a big story posted by some random unverified account is likely BS.

And while we're at it:

Posting nothingburger tweets about the AHCA/BCRA ("Senator Bedfellow says he's open to negotiation") doesn't really add to the discussion either.

kirblar

It doesn't matter. That's what I hate about this Russia stuff - its all people just posting unsubstantiated theories that muddy the waters and send people running in all kinds of conspiratorial directions based on - fucking nothing.
TRUMP REPEATEDLY HIRING LITERAL RUSSIAN SHILLS IS NOT NOTHING.

Fucking. Hell.
That thread is straight fanfic shit. Says basically WaPo has the smoking gun on Trump but is sitting on it, which would make no sense even if Mueller himself asked them to sit on it.
This is how DC works. They will run a story by the necessary people and will absolutely hold it if asked.

This is why the Valerie Plame thing was such a big deal for them editorially- it never should have been printed.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Well, it's not like she is saying The Intercept would sit on it... ;)

Though unsubstantiated and unable to be proved, people's theories on this matter stem from scrupulously sourced and researched stories from reliable sources, such as the one I linked above. That is the opposite of "fucking nothing."

JWiLL

Banned

Careful. This is the type of hysteria I said was ridiculous the other day and I was called "alt right".

Just smile and nod.

Louise Mensch is pretty entertaining, to be honest.

PBY

Banned
Though unsubstantiated and unable to be proved, people's theories on this matter stem from scrupulously sourced and researched stories from reliable sources, such as the one I linked above. That is the opposite of "fucking nothing."

I actually disagree. That's exactly what conspiracy theorists do - they take a piece of a credible story and link it to another piece of a well substantiated report, and then fill in the blanks based on nothing.

Either way - I think the NYT and the WaPo are all over this in a way that leads me to believe random twitter detectives neither add anything to the story nor are necessary here.

Referencing a real story that happened in the past lends absolutely 0% more credibility to her speculation about ongoing events.

I meant I believe THE STORY and could see how someone might see it being relevant, especially since we know the FBI/Mueller/etc. have been pursuing the financial angle. I gave no credence to her theories in general.

Everyone talks about how persona A, B or C are entertaining. Some find Tucker genuinely entertaining...

The problem is others look to them as vanguards of truth and, if there is a layer of an act going on, many people aren't going to see it. These are not satirists.

Chumley

Banned
Ok, if you read further down, that thread is pure speculation based on Louise Mensch sourced tweets and what she thinks the Wittes/Hannity stuff means.

I mean, it *is* straight fanfic, but the news sits on stories at the request of the government / law enforcement all the time.

Fucking NYT had the warrantless wiretapping story for a year before they published it.

kirblar

Everyone talks about how persona A, B or C are entertaining. Some find Tucker genuinely entertaining...

The problem is others look to them as vanguards of truth and, if there is a layer of an act going on, many people aren't going to see it. These are not satirists.
Generally, if you're looking for politics for entertainment, you're a fucking asshole.

(see: Cillizza, Chris; Zucker, Jeff)

Er, this "Russia stuff" isn't based on "fucking nothing," there are definite ties that are being reported on and investigated. There are definitely conspiracy theories mixed up in there too but it's pretty minor stuff that doesn't get much play. Like, you kind of freaked out and implied everyone in this thread is descending into conspiracy theory territory, but most reactions to that twitter thread were people asking who she is.

Teggy

Manu Raju‏Verified account
@mkraju

MCCONNELL tells senators: He will delay the health care vote until after the recess to solicit more support from GOP senators

How long is the recess?

edit: oh this is from yesterday

DonShula

Generally, if you're looking for politics for entertainment, you're a fucking asshole.

(see: Cillizza, Chris)

But I don't have anything going on tonight and I was looking forward to WaPo dropping something so I could eat Ben & Jerry's and hate-watch Jeffrey Lord.

I actually disagree. That's exactly what conspiracy theorists do - they take a piece of a credible story and link it to another piece of a well substantiated report, and then fill in the blanks based on nothing.

Either way - I think the NYT and the WaPo are all over this in a way that leads me to believe random twitter detectives neither add anything to the story nor are necessary here.

It seems as though you've determined ANY speculation by ANYBODY to be wild-eyed conspiracy theories. Louise Mensch and her ilk spread conspiracy theories, and we should especially wary about them because they have followings who believe them. A random Twitter user saying, "I think this will happen" and citing a LEGITIMATE story to justify her opinion is NOT a conspiracy theory, just as the people in this thread speculating shouldn't be categorized as such. Conjecture =/= conspiracy, especially when we will ultimately defer to the legitimate press and the investigators when they release their findings.

You really hate to talk about this at all.

"All I did was post how the fake news Washington Post was forced to admit they have nothing on Trump and all of a sudden people started calling me alt-right."

I've never really been impressed by his showings. I just picture him stumbling and reading from a tiny law book during the Gorsuch hearing.

Not saying he's party leadership...just one of the more well known senators.

Does anyone actually like Pelosi?
Pelosi was a ridiculously effective Speaker so yeah, I like her.

Franken's appeal is low-key and that's very deliberate, his history as an SNL writer gave journalists prime material to portray him as a jokester and not serious. If you've ever read any of his books you'd know he's extremely intelligent, passionate and considerate.

Also he can draw the 50 states freehand so that's neat

https://youtu.be/h0-FYyuvrRk

It seems as though you've determined ANY speculation by ANYBODY to be wild-eyed conspiracy theories. Louise Mensch and her ilk spread conspiracy theories, and we should especially wary about them because they have followings who believe them. A random Twitter user saying, "I think this will happen" and citing a LEGITIMATE story to justify her opinion is NOT a conspiracy theory, just as the people in this thread speculating shouldn't be categorized as such. Conjecture =/= conspiracy, especially when we will ultimately defer to the legitimate press and the investigators when they release their findings.

You really hate to talk about this at all.
I mean if these random twitter theories were being presented as speculation by the tweeter, that would be one thing. They're not, though.

Note: WaPo has been asked by gov't intel to sit on explosive report they have on you-know-who, who must know it too.

WaPo apparently knows all the countries that have provided SIGINT to the US that will put away T, the Ts, and everyone around him.

There are also details on the money flow from Russia to Caymans to T & GOP.
That doesn't read as speculation, it reads as fact. Hence people asking if she's a reliable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom