• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

Banned
Something tells me that wasn't Trump that made that tweet. It seems to clam and reasonable compare the one he made minutes afterward.
Agreed.

I posted this in the OT thread, but to anyone who believes that first tweet was written by Trump, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's mealy-mouthed, calculated, and deliberately crafted to skirt up to the edge of condemning the white supremacists while still giving enough cover to allow the white supremacists to interpret it as a condemnation of the counter protests. In fact, Richard Spencer is doing just that. But look at the syntax, the word choice, the verbiage. That's not how Trump speaks/writes. Those are not his words. They are Bannon's or Kelly's or God only knows whose, but not Trump's.

The second tweet -- the one where's he says "I'm really super busy Making America Great Again, but oh yeah, I'll give an 8-year-old's response to the violence as an afterthought tacked on to the end of a tweet justifying why I ignored the white riots for nearly 24 hours" -- that one is all Trump.

giphy.gif

Polos and khakis are like de facto office attire if it's a relaxed environment. Unless they're really lazy and let you wear jeans.

Most engineering environments I've been in (mechanical engineering) let you wear jeans 'cause the expectation is things will probably get messy, at some point. Rules are different for managers tho.

I pray this starts a "white people can be terrorists, too" debate in the coming days-- We've needed it for decades-- But the US clearly isn't ready to blame the privileged for anything quite yet. The national tone comes from the top, and we're going nowhere if the President can't even be bothered to care in the slightest.

Wilsongt

So one confirmd dead due to a possibly scared white person in a car, and looking at some various Facebook posts, this was a "peaceful protest" until BLMs got involved.

We need a reset.

I remember a thread that asked last year if it would be better to elect someone randomly out of the phone book. Most people were hesitant and thought the phone book was too big of a risk

They were wrong. A random phone book selection could not have picked someone any worse, pathetic and ill equipped to do this job than this mother fucker

I pray this starts a "white people can be terrorists, too" debate in the coming days-- We've needed it for decades-- But the US clearly isn't ready to blame the privileged for anything quite yet. The national tone comes from the top, and we're going nowhere if the President can't even be bothered to care in the slightest.

Dylan Roof should've been the start of that, but we got a bunch of people saying he was just mentally ill instead. Maybe things will be different since this dude went after more than just black people, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Prepare to hear a shitload of conspiracy theories over the next week, I'm sure the usual suspects are already getting their infographs in order.

Teggy

Thank goodness there is video

TaylorLorenz
Anyway several police officers at the station here think the guy running people down wasn't malicious. They said the driver was scared
2:53 PM · Aug 12, 2017

Holmes

I'm hoping Trump goes soon so things can calm down and go back to as normal as possible, but I won't soon forget this time and how everyone felt.

tbm24

Thank goodness there is video
Who's surprised? They are afraid of black people on the regular, got guy spooked the same way they do. Only this civilian had a car instead of their preferred gun.

I'm hoping Trump goes soon so things can calm down and go back to as normal as possible, but I won't soon forget this time and how everyone felt.

Trump leaving office won't do anything to bring things back to a sense of normalcy. This shit is bigger than Trump. This won't be the last time these kinds of people show up to protest armed with make shift shields ready to attack Innocents.

I cant think of a way of slowing down white supremacy without using the same BS idea that Trump uses about censoring the media, ugh. That's obviously crossing the line though.

Fuck you fox and you fucking reddit trolls.

I cant think of a way of slowing down white supremacy without using the same BS idea that Trump uses about censoring the media, ugh. That's obviously crossing the line though.

twitter, reddit, or facebook can voluntarily decide to not permit hate speech on their platforms. it's not really censorship for a company to enforce a code of conduct.

Maybe it's time we had started having a conversation about hate speech laws instead of pretending that treating what these hate groups say as valid speech won't lead to consequences like this.

I'm almost speechless. The sheer ease of making a respectful comment betrays Trump's innermost intentions. That took deliberation.

Maybe it's time we had started having a conversation about hate speech laws instead of pretending that treating what these hate groups say as valid speech won't lead to consequences like this.
There lies orwellian nightmare.

Sounds good until states implement laws banning protests against police. Hate speech laws are also mostly unconstitutional anyway and that is backed unanimously by the current supreme court.

twitter, reddit, or facebook can voluntarily decide to not permit hate speech on their platforms. it's not really censorship for a company to enforce a code of conduct.

Even if its the smallest of concessions especially after today, known Alt-Right favorite Carl Benjamin/Sargon of Akkad was banned on Twitter and his videos on youtube demonetized.

Its not much but it is something.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It would not pass the 1st amendment check.

But it is possible to outlaw confederate displays and speech, much like how Germany dealt with their horrid past. Relegate it to textbooks and nothing more.

Slate had this thought a few years ago:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...y_historic_symbols_should_we_do_that_too.html

Codifying it as an amendment would be the way to go about it, being fairly explicit in its definition and making it VERY difficult to change.

Brian Klaas‏Verified account
@brianklaas

Trump's week
✓Threatened nuclear war.
✓Threatened Venezuela.
✓Thanked Putin for expelling US diplomats.
✓"Many sides" after neo-Nazi murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom