• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polytron Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, him shouting down a sexual harassment allegation is pretty terrible. Bullying someone for coming forward with a very serious allegation (without yet knowing if it's true or not) is pretty disgusting. This isn't to say he deserved it, because he didn't. But I don't see why people can't be disgusted in his actions as well as not support what happened to him (why it has to be one or the other). The reason I say this is because, I feel that pretty much lets people off the hook for terrible actions, if other people do terrible things to them.

I don't want a gaming community where someone is bullied to stay quiet about sexual harassment. I get it's not just the gaming industry that has this problem. Any kind of career that has a tight knit community, one has to fear ruining their career if they speak out against someone with a lot of connections. That isn't unique to gaming. But it was pretty disheartening to see Phil's reaction to this man's allegation, and subsequently the other people in the industry that joined in on it and supported it.

But the thing is, you don't know the true story there, and none of us do. It's not even related at all to Polytron getting hacked or any of the other stuff that's emerged, yet it's something that keeps getting harped on in this thread.

You state that you're not saying that Fish deserves it, but that's actually what you're blatantly doing. And what dozens of other people in this thread are doing when they pull up tweets from Fish (and those statements are generally wildly out of context).

Of course the silence of sexual harassment is bad. But we really don't know anything here and to conclude anything from that one tweet from Fish is just a bit premature.

Newblade

I have read on another site that the passwords on the infamous 1.5GB file don't really work. I assume this has been debunked, but can someone provide me with some links on the subject?

Irrelevant to the discussion. What would your first priority be if all your passwords were revealed?

Mononoke

Banned
But the thing is, you don't know the true story there, and none of us do. It's not even related at all to Polytron getting hacked or any of the other stuff that's emerged, yet it's something that keeps getting harped on in this thread.

You state that you're not saying that Fish deserves it, but that's actually what you're blatantly doing. And what dozens of other people in this thread are doing when they pull up tweets from Fish (and those statements are generally wildly out of context).

Of course the silence of sexual harassment is bad. But we really don't know anything here and to conclude anything from that one tweet from Fish is just a bit premature.

Yeah no. I don't support doxxing regardless of how terrible a person is. But I also don't agree that people shouldn't be critical of a person who is doxxed just because they were doxxed. That's some pretty insane logic. And i do think Phil and certain members of this industry showed some disgusting behavior by bullying someone with a serious allegation. That we should not question these actions because they were doxxed is insane. That you can't think their behavior was terrible and also not support doxxing is insane.

That said I also think the thread is about the hacking of Polytron and has gone off topic. So that is why I edited my post. So I can see where you are coming from that people posting in a thread are passively justifying it. But that's not everyone's intention.

Heyt

Banned
Irrelevant to the discussion. What would your first priority be if all your passwords were revealed?

Well, sure but but reaction and action don't happen instantaneously. Is it known if they ever worked, at least early? People around me are telling me that they never did but I doubt it. I would like to back it up as it seems that the obvious action being taken doesn't seem enough evidence.

Yeah no. I don't support doxxing regardless of how terrible a person is. But I also don't agree that people shouldn't be critical of a person who is doxxed just because they were doxxed. That's some pretty insane logic. And i do think Phil and certain members of this industry showed some disgusting behavior by bullying someone with a serious allegation. That we should not question these actions because they were doxxed is insane. That you can't think their behavior was terrible and also not support doxxing is insane.

Apologies, I was referring more to the sexual harassment topic, which like you said in your original edit, is off-topic entirely to this thread. But then again, most of this thread is off-topic / insane.

Well, sure but but reaction and action don't happen instantaneously. Is it known if they ever worked, at least early? People around me are telling me that they never did but I doubt it. I would like to back it up as it seems that the obvious action being taken doesn't seem enough evidence.
Besides general curiosity, what does it matter?

Basically the thread seems to be a lot of "I'm not saying he deserved it, but he deserved it."

This is a bizarre interpretation of this thread. Literally everyone who has said that he deserved it now owns the customer user tag 'Banned'.

I have read on another site that the passwords on the infamous 1.5GB file don't really work. I assume this has been debunked, but can someone provide me with some links on the subject?

They've probably been changed by now?

Mononoke

Banned
Apologies, I was referring more to the sexual harassment topic, which like you said in your original edit, is off-topic entirely to this thread. But then again, most of this thread is off-topic / insane.

You dont need to apologize. You were right to call me out. As I said my post doesn't really work in the context of the threads intention. Plus the thread has gone all over the place. My post is the equivalent to someone being badly injured but then bringing up something bad about them. The criticism could be valid but bringing it up when someone had something bad happen to them seems in poor taste and not relevant to the story of them being injured. In this case it comes off as justifying what happened to him. I'm sure some were doing this.

This whole thing is just frustrating to me. I just feel bad for anyone that is a victim. At the same time, I do get how if this is a thread about doxxing, stating that you think Phil is terrible, doesn't really contribute to much. Even if you hate Phil, what does that have to do with anything in a thread about something bad happening to him? You either bring it up because you think it's justified, or you bring it up, because he's terrible? And you thought it should be brought up?

So I get where you and others are coming from. I guess I just kind of jumped in with the other stuff, because the thread was kind of wandering. But then I stepped back and realized that, while I do have some criticisms of his recent actions, I don't think it's appropriate for what this thread is talking about.

Newblade

What more evidence is needed? Website and twitter accounts were accessed to. Those people are trying to sow doubt by questioning facts without significance.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Oh come on. This is fake moon landing conspiracy thinking.

They've probably been changed by now?
Yeah, there are so many more reasons why they wouldn't work than would work. Old password database, they changed them as soon as they noticed other Dropbox/Skype accounts being hacked, one person who got to it first changed it so the other thousands who saw it couldn't, ect.

Occam's Razor, people.

Nibiru

Banned
I like Phil Fish.

I really can't imagine why. I think he made a great game but everything else I've heard coming from him indicates very clearly that he is an asshole.

Note: What I say does not mean he deserved this. No one does. Well maybe criminals do:)

Toxi

Banned
So people concluded the last bit of info about cloudfare was false now prove this false.
http://i.imgur.com/MeGXT73.png

I'm not saying I think it's true I'm just saying point out inconsistencies like before.
You know, it's amazing how gullible people on 4chan can be. They believe anonymous posts without any knowledge of a topic, which is basically the opposite of any actual scientific field's writings. Being anonymous means no culpability for posting bullshit and no way of judging your authority on a topic, and people take advantage of this all the time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I would love to just play games, but then I apparently have to first be ashamed of myself for playing a game with a straight white male protagonist, regardless of its non-effect on the game itself. Or be belittled by nearly every online video games website out there for simply existing as a straight white male who happens to also enjoy playing video games.

While I'm in agreement of diversity in video games from both audience to reporting to development (the "white dudebro marine" stereotype didn't come out of nowhere), I'm sick of "straight white male" basically being the lynchpin for any semi-moral crusade, that opinions coming from them should be silenced/omitted, and that any insults thrown their way should just be accepted because of "privilege" i.e. these people's carte blanche to be sexist and racist.
Your lens is pretty distorted if you think discussion of equality in games equals white male persecution.

Servbot24

Banned
I really can't imagine why. I think he made a great game but everything else I've heard coming from him indicates very clearly that he is an asshole.

Probably because he's just a person on Twitter who entertains once in a while and is someone you don't actually have to meet

Anfang

Probably because he's just a person on Twitter who entertains once in a while and is someone you don't actually have to meet

But he is a person you have to hear about on the gaming forums and subreddits you visit. Not visiting twitter doesn't make these people just disappear.

Toxi

Banned
Approaching 60 pages, here is the wall of shame. It's just unfortunate that even here you can have people act like this.

Add this one.
I think he did it to show how much money he made, in order to sell Fez and his company.

But he is a person you have to hear about and deal with on the gaming forums and subreddits you visit. Not visiting twitter doesn't make these people just disappear.
No, you really don't. I don't like Phil Fish's twitter comments, but I never have to hear about or deal with him. I can just choose not to click on the thread like any normal person.

Note: What I say does not mean he deserved this. No one does. Well maybe criminals do:)
He's passionate, loud, opinionated, abrasive and most of all, entertaining.

Not anymore, though. :(

Anfang

[No, you really don't. I don't like Phil Fish's twitter comments, but I never have to hear about or deal with him. I can just choose not to click on the thread like any normal person.

Because people don't derail conversations amirite. This thread would be a perfect example.

Are these Anonymous twats still trying to be relevant?

Looks like they leveled up from their infamous DDOS attacks to Password generators

Please don't generalise. Anon have done as much good as they have harm. Anonymous isn't one organised collective, anyone can be Anonymous.

Not sure a wall of shame is a great thing in a thread about bullying. Don't get me wrong, I very strongly disagree with these posts but it doesn't mean these posts should be hung over these posters forever. They've been called out for it, some were banned as a result, anything beyond that seems spiteful and unnecessary to me. I think we should be above that kind of petty shit TBH.

If you want to make a broader point about the kind of shit posts this has led to, get rid of the usernames. Though 15 posts out of 3000 doesn't mean much.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure a wall of shame is a great thing in a thread about bullying. Don't get me wrong, I very strongly disagree with these posts but it doesn't mean these posts should be hung over these posters forever. They've been called out for it, some were banned as a result, anything beyond that seems spiteful and unnecessary to me. I think we should be above that kind of petty shit TBH.

If you want to make a broader point about the kind of shit posts this has led to, get rid of the usernames. Though 15 posts out of 3000 doesn't mean much.
I think those perma-banned juniors will live.

So, I dive into a link about this. Then another, and another. Now I have 8 links open and reading material for the rest of the work day.

That said, I believe in Phil Fish. I can't help but like the guy. Love to grab a beer with him.

Goon Boon

Banned
So, I dive into a link about this. Then another, and another. Now I have 8 links open and reading material for the rest of the work day.

That said, I believe in Phil Fish. I can't help but like the guy. Love to grab a beer with him.

The games journalists that essentially said "hey look at Phil Fish get mad at individual tweets, so funny" are huge assholes that essentially guided people to troll tweet Phil Fish. He could be a stand up guy for all I know.

Corto

you have to defend fish.

The thread is about Polytron and Phil Fish being hacked with public exposure of some critical financial, contractual and personal details. You don't have to defend Pihl Fish or Polytron but it's a bit distasteful to start your post "Yeah this sucks but the guy sort of deserve it" or even worse "Knowing the guy I could almost believe he did it himself to gather some attention and spotlight". This last one makes its authors seem like loonies.

RawNuts

The shaming in this thread is ridiculous. The reason I enjoy GAF is because it usually seems respectful compared to other forums I visit.

I discussed this subject (the topic, not the shaming thing) very briefly with my programmer, and he knows the programmer on Fez (Renaud) and his wife on Facebook. The manner in which this event has shaken both of them is quite disheartening; we discuss Phil a lot here (to be expected) but I feel like we may overlook the others that this has affected.

An important thing that I've taken from this event though is to not store sensitive data on your Dropbox.

RawNuts

I'm surprised anyone would do so.
The cloud is much less secure and stable than a lot of other alternatives.
I typically work over long distances with people and throwing everything in the Dropbox tends to become a habit; this may ring true for some others as well, but it had me double-checking exactly what I had stored on there.

The weirdest thing of it all is that the hacking was apparently in retribution against virtually the single Phil Fish declaration ever that I actually agree with. Never change, Internet.

Goon Boon

Banned
The weirdest thing of it all is that the hacking was apparently in retribution against virtually the single Phil Fish declaration ever that I actually agree with. Never change, Internet.

It could have been in response to him suppressing the alleged sexual harassment, but the hacking was wrong either way and affected more people than just Phil Fish even if people hate him irrationally that much.

He didn't deserve this(no one does it's only video games)but you can't talk to/about gamers and others in the industry the way Phil does and NOT expect something like this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom