• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polytron Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwhat

i know there have been some unfortunate opinions that warrant that kind of scrutiny, but I think this isnt one of them. come on, the slut shaming stuff is not feminism, it's mainly common sense. how was he promoting equality regarding genders with those words exactly?

4chan and Reddit would be fine if the hackers said they hacked him because he is an asshole. If the hackers did just do it because he's an asshole, I can't think of any incentive to lie about it.

The fact is he vehemently defended Zoe Quinn, he has a history of saying stuff like "If you aren't a feminist, than you're a bigot", a lot of people listen to him, and it made him a target.

You two both have conflicting interpretations of Fish's intentions on twitter, but can either of you please reference what you're talking about.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but I, and many other users, are new to the situation. And with the tweets being deleted, we don't have a lot to go off of. What I'm asking is do either of you have pictures of the tweets to help support your arguments?

Odrion

Banned
Phil Fish didn't get hacked because he was an asshole. I mean, he is an asshole, but there's tons of assholes out there. Assholes that never get any repercussions for being an asshole.

But this asshole had a history of talking about civil issues, and said things about feminism*, and defended Zoe Quinn. So he got branded as a "SJW" and was hacked and made an example of while other assholes sleep safe at night.

*two threads where users claimed he has said "If you're not a feminist then you're a bigot." I can't find the tweet, so witnesses will have to do.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/864978109797422068/
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ep...-sexist-what-happened-to-our-industry/101543/

he also was obsessed about ferguson and did this. seems silly, but /pol/ has a donation drive for that ferguson cop. enough to brand him as a SJW enemy of the state.

OSHAN

*Unfortunately, many of Phil's tweets have been deleted so it's hard to tell what really happened.

philmeltdown01.jpg

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/zoe-quinn-depression-quest-gaming-sex-scandal/
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/4chan-hacks-phil-fish-over-his-defense-of-zoe-quinn/

Phil Fish didn't get hacked because he was an asshole. I mean, he is an asshole, but there's tons of assholes out there. Assholes that never get any repercussions for being an asshole.

But this asshole had a history of talking about civil issues, and said things about feminism*, and defended Zoe Quinn. So he got branded as a "SJW" and was hacked and made an example of while other assholes sleep safe at night.

*two threads where users claimed he has said "If you're not a feminist then you're a bigot." I can't find the tweet, so witnesses will have to do.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/864978109797422068/
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ep...-sexist-what-happened-to-our-industry/101543/

he also was obsessed about ferguson and did this

You can flip it around, though. A ton of people in the industry have spoken out in support of Zoe Quinn. Phil Fish is the one who got hacked. I'm not sure it's one or the other.

Odrion

Banned

Odrion

Banned
If he were to be hacked for being an asshole, why was it during him defending Zoe Quinn and not the million times where he was being an asshole?

You could either look at the time he was being hacked, /v/ and pal's opinion of him being a SJW during this time, and the hacker's own words about why they hacked him.

Or maybe it was because he was an asshole and the timing was a coincidence and the hackers lied because lol?

If he were to be hacked for being an asshole, why was it during him defending Zoe Quinn and not the million times where he was being an asshole?

You could either look at the time he was being hacked, /v/ and pal's opinion of him during this time, and the hacker's own words about why they hacked him.

Or maybe it was because he was an asshole and the timing was a coincidence and the hackers lied because lol?

I think he was hacked for both. Plenty of assholes in the industry haven't been hacked. Plenty of feminists in the industry haven't been hacked. Phil Fish is at the perfect confluence of feminist and asshole that makes him a target.

Not condoning It but if anyone was gonna be a target for this it was someone as mouthy and vile as Phil fish. His attitude is disgusting. Maybe he'll show a little humility now.

You could either look at the time he was being hacked, /v/ and pal's opinion of him during this time, and the hacker's own words about why they hacked him.

im not saying it isn't like you're saying entirely. i'm just saying i wouldn't take the hackers word as gospel. timing is perfect to harm the company and individual, causing him to break down emotionally.

Companies shouldn't be storing any data on a 3rd party storage which is always available online in* the first place, that's always bound to have security problems.

Keep it accessible only inside the companies network <- or -> keep it in company lockers/storage by having the data printed on real paper, that's the way to go.
That isn't practical when your company consists of people collaborating from different physical locations. Having company data on cloud storage is fine if you follow good security procedure. Dropbox even has a "Dropbox for Business" program specifically for that purpose.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i know there have been some unfortunate opinions that warrant that kind of scrutiny, but I think this isnt one of them. come on, the slut shaming stuff is not feminism, it's mainly common sense.
The two are not mutually exclusive. Also, since slut shaming is very common, you could certainly argue that defending someone from it is, in fact, defending feminism.

But none of this really matters, the point is, the hackers left a message saying they were attacking Fish for his feminism, and they said they would go against other "SJWs" (and they have). I suppose they could all be lying about their own motivations, but there wouldn't be much point or sense to it.

karobit

Not condoning It but if anyone was gonna be a target for this it was someone as mouthy and vile as Phil fish. His attitude is disgusting. Maybe he'll show a little humility now.

If you're in the middle of taking someone's wallet and you say "I'm not taking your wallet" that doesn't mean you're not actually taking their wallet.

Conan-san

If you're in the middle of taking someone's wallet and you say "I'm not taking your wallet" that doesn't mean you're not actually taking their wallet.

Fact 1: Phil Fish has acted like a fuckwit in situations not related to this event specifically.

Fact 2: Phil Fish did not deserve to be the target of a massive breach of privacy and destruction of his work and property.

Fact 2 doesn't cancel out Fact 1 and will never do so.

ArjanN

Fact 1: Phil Fish has acted like a fuckwit in situations not related to this event specifically.

Fact 2: Phil Fish did not deserve to be the target of a massive breach of privacy and destruction of his work and property.

Fact 2 doesn't cancel out Fact 1 and will never do so.

Sure, but it's also not really relevant either.

Everything before the word "but" is negated.

I hate Phil Fish but I don't condone this!

I don't condone this but I hate Phil Fish!

Kater

Banned
"hacked" sure... please stop giving that guy free press. He dont deserve a penny.
Would be great if you at least read through the thread and then posted your own comment since the theory that he did this to himself has been debunked already by a few other posters.

Edit:

Not trying to backseat-mod. Just... angry I guess? I try to tone it down. Sorry.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Only people I feel bad for here is the people just guilty by association who work at Polytron. Must feel bad to have your livelihood attached to an unstable attention seeker like Phil.

Everything before the word "but" is negated.

I hate Phil Fish but I don't condone this!

I don't condone this but I hate Phil Fish!

It does make for the endlessly entertaining "yes you're racist" twitter account though.

Damn, this really sucks. Poor Phil. I really don't get why so many of you guys root against him.

The best part is that he isn't any worse than a lot of the people on internet message boards who hate him for "being an asshole".

nomis

I had a whole big long post quoting a bunch of people and sources typed out... but it ended up reading pretty much like a cliffs notes version of what Jim Sterling had to say on the matter. Classy as usual.

dareacher

Banned
really dont get why some people literally hate the guy. Granted he is very vocal and speaks his mind but to hate someone for this?? Goes to show how the internet works i guess, always easy to talk when behind a keyboard....

Trouble

Banned
Phil Fish and Renaud are the victims, I'm not blaming them. But whoever placed that stuff online and kept it there for absolutely no reason certainly shares in the responsibility.

Whoever put someone in that position when they didn't have the knowledge to do it properly bears a large portion of the responsibility. I just don't feel that placing all the blame on someone ill-equipped for the job they were given is terribly fair.

Companies shouldn't be storing any data on a 3rd party storage which is always available online in* the first place, that's always bound to have security problems.

Keep it accessible only inside the companies network <- or -> keep it in company lockers/storage by having the data printed on real paper, that's the way to go.

That's an antiquated view and simply not the world we live in. VPNs get penetrated all the time. Most of the recent high-profile data breaches were of on-premises data. Where something is stored has little to do with how secure it is.

Source: I do this shit for a living.

jett

D-Member
If she works at the company with the two of them (as her Twitter bio seems to state), if they're victims, then she's a victim too.

iEwvjVXOK6GWe.jpg

Pretty sure she was FEZ's producer.

I already knew she was Fez's producer, it's pretty clearly stated in her twitter profile. Again, it doesn't really change the fact that she was seemingly responsible for the aforementioned carelessness. But I guess she was also a victim.

Whoever put someone in that position when they didn't have the knowledge to do it properly bears a large portion of the responsibility. I just don't feel that placing all the blame on someone ill-equipped for the job they were given is terribly fair.

I didn't.

Blair

Banned
NeoGAF
I've seen things- tweets, interviews, blog posts.
He doesn't use any of it for popularity, but I've found it hidden online.

(scorn)
It's misdirection - he leaves those things lying around to make you think he might not be a character.

NeoGAF
All the time? He doesn't know when I'm looking-

All the time, NeoGAF- that's who he is, that's what it takes- he lives his act, don't you see?!

I already knew she was Fez's producer, it's pretty clearly stated in her twitter profile. Again, it doesn't really change the fact that she was seemingly responsible for the aforementioned carelessness. But I guess she was also a victim.

I didn't.

Honestly, I'm not sure I take that tweet to mean that she was primarily responsible for the handling or security of their data. I mean, right now I'm sure that all three of them wish they'd been more cafeful with that data (if all three had access, I'd imagine any of them could have turned on the extra security).

Springy

I have seen so much bile and loathsome, casual abuse on comments pages and message boards that I'm starting to wonder if we can switch the Internet off for a week or two and let everyone think about what it means to be such a rude little cunt to ordinary people.

Uthred

I have seen so much bile and loathsome, casual abuse on comments pages and message boards that I'm starting to wonder if we can switch the Internet off for a week or two and let everyone think about what it means to be such a rude little cunt to ordinary people.

Sublime

I dislike Phil Fish but I enjoy his games. Nobody deserves this kind of thing though, having every bit of your information important or not being posted online for the world and for what? What is there to gain at the end of the day? I don't get it, all we'll be getting is probably losing a person who'd make a game that I would enjoy.

Sometimes I just don't get some people, they tell others that they take things seriously when it is they that take things as simple as video games, serious as shit. smh. Hopefully, he'll find the peace of mind he needs. Even if it means getting out of the Video Game industry, for good this time.

dareacher

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;126756905 said:
I'm not Jesus. It's not my job to open my heart to a disturbed narcissist like Phil Fish. I feel bad for what's happening to Zoe Quinn, and I feel bad for Fish's employees, but I sure as hell don't feel bad for him.

stay classy good sir, stay classy!

Makai

The divide seems to be some people only have empathy for people they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom