• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

Anecdotal but I've been playing with my buddy on his comp with an R9 390 and 4690k. We turned off Motion blur, lens flare and shadows down to high with all ultra settings other than that and have been getting pretty much consistent 90+fps. No Vsync but no micro stuttering like OP.

Woorloog

Banned
Take a look at the benchmarks. Are you seriously telling me that that looks normal to you? I also, do not have a FreeSync monitor and the idea that I need FreeSync or Gsync to enjoy a microstutter free game is just ridiculous to me. As I said, I don't have this microstutter issue with any other game I play.

Not sure what i should be looking at in the benchmark. That 390 is a bit lower than several other AMD GPUs?

All i know is that the game runs mostly perfectly on my MSI Gaming R9 390, expect certain areas. (And they never fall below playable FPS, though admittedly the slowdowns are somewhat annoying on a game this fast.) I don't have stuttering issues, i don't have random slowdowns, and mostly the game runs very well.

Now, it is odd Nvidia if Nvidia GPUs don't suffer from slowdowns on the same areas... but where else do the minimum reported framerates come from?

Anecdotal but I've been playing with my buddy on his comp with an R9 390 and 4690k. We turned off Motion blur, lens flare and shadows down to high with all ultra settings other than that and have been getting pretty much consistent 60-90fps. Haven't seen any massive dips like OP. Single Player, for a few hours.

Huh? No dips? Not even in the very starting area of the game? There i had about 45 FPS when looking toward the door, compared to 80-100 FPS i usually seem to be getting.
Curious.

Not sure what i should be looking at in the benchmark. That 390 is a bit lower than several other AMD GPUs?

All i know is that the game runs mostly perfectly on my MSI Gaming R9 390, expect certain areas. (And they never fall below playable FPS, though admittedly the slowdowns are somewhat annoying on a game this fast.) I don't have stuttering issues, i don't have random slowdowns, and mostly the game runs very well.

Now, it is odd Nvidia if Nvidia GPUs don't suffer from slowdowns on the same areas... but where else do the minimum reported framerates come from?

Huh? No dips? Not even in the very starting area of the game? There i had about 45 FPS when looking toward the door, compared to 80-100 FPS i usually seem to be getting.
Curious.

Not into the 30 fps region no. Maybe 50 at the lowest. We're pretty much running consistently at 90+ fps though.

Anecdotal but I've been playing with my buddy on his comp with an R9 390 and 4690k. We turned off Motion blur, lens flare and shadows down to high with all ultra settings other than that and have been getting pretty much consistent 90+fps. No Vsync but no micro stuttering like OP.

Do you have a FreeSync monitor?

Not into the 30 fps region no. Maybe 50 at the lowest. We're pretty much running consistnetly at 90+ fps though.

See now, I would definitely notice a dip from 90-50fps.

Woorloog

Banned
Not into the 30 fps region no. Maybe 50 at the lowest. We're pretty much running consistnetly at 90+ fps though.

So, you do have some kind of dip though.

Can someone with Nvidia GPU comment on the starter room's FPS when looking at door and somewhere else?

Could be that the game has several very demanding areas that affect AMD GPUs somewhat more.

Papacheeks

Banned
If the multiplayer environment isn't as complex as the single-player then it should inherently have superior performance at every user-defined setting.

True, but everything from Gore, to even the demons are in multiplayer, and all the effects. I don't know the extent and the extreme case for performance on campaign is when there are a lot of enemies and effects all at once.

But something smells fishy especially with the whole nvidia partnering. Doesn't make sense that most if not all games currently out play fine on AMD, ones that don't like Gears of war ultimate when it launched were coded like shit to begin with.

Hopefully the vulkan update will change everything, or they will patch the game knowing the issue it has with AMD cards.

Serick

Married Member

Can someone with Nvidia GPU comment on the starter room's FPS when looking at door and somewhere else?

Could be that the game has several very demanding areas that affect AMD GPUs somewhat more.

980ti reporting in. 1080p max everything in settings.

Starting room 85-90. I see as high as 120 in other parts.

Yea, I'm back home now. I'll jump on with my 970 and check.

jet1911

380x here.

The game was fine this afternoon (mix of medium and high settings) but now it's stutering and droping frames even with everything to low... Bleh. I had so much fun. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still had hilariously bad framepacing issues as of this year with a 290 and a i7 3700k.

Rage is a very temperamental game. Even some Nvidia folks run into texture streaming issues despite having modern hardware.

OmahaG8

I own a 390, and yes, this is disappointing but I think this has less to do with conspiracies and more to do with just about every PC game having issues day one anymore. There will be a patch. Go have a pint and wait for this to blow over. Those numbers make no sense (which we all agree on).

But no - and more seriously, I feel the pain. I just can't get upset anymore.

tuxfool

Banned
My suggestion for the OP is that if he doesn't want to turn down settings, then he should wait for them to release their Vulkan renderer.

If that doesn't work well then start worrying.

My suggestion for the OP is that if he doesn't want to turn down settings, then he should wait for them to release their Vulkan renderer.

If that doesn't work well then start worrying.

If I have Vertical Sync enabled then I get crazy FPS slowdown to 30-40fps (It seems slower but this is how it reads) for about 10 seconds at a time till it goes back up to buttery smooth 60fps for around 10-15 seconds. If I disable it and unlock the framerate I get 80-100 FPS but terrible micro stuttering. If I lock the framerate at 60 through Riva tuner I get terrible tearing...

Doesn't matter what settings I change...

killroy87

AMD has issues with OpenGL. The Vulkan update should fix this.

Sorry, I'm out of the loop with whatever this Vulkan thing is. Is this an update that I'll be able to make use of with my R9 290? Or is it just for new cards? And is it coming relatively soon?

tuxfool

Banned
Sorry, I'm out of the loop with whatever this Vulkan thing is. Is this an update that I'll be able to make use of with my R9 290? Or is it just for new cards? And is it coming relatively soon?

Vulkan is to OpenGL4 what Directx 12 is to Directx 11.

Judging from that Nvidia video, it seems in pretty good shape.

Woorloog

Banned
980ti reporting in. 1080p max everything in settings.

Starting room 85-90. I see as high as 120 in other parts.

Quite large drop though it doesn't matter nearly as what i had. Interesting. I reckon that whatever causes the drops is simply more demanding on AMD GPUs.
Still, hopefully this will be fixed, as it is annoying regardless of whose GPU one has.

What settings, just Ultra? I'm about to jump in on my 970.

Whatever you feel like.

EDIT Unsure what causes OP's issues. I don't have microstutter or random FPS drops, only drops that relate to the area where i am.

dr_rus

id Software is an Nvidia shop it's been their preference to swing that way for a long time.

It's a little strange to see the current issues with the R9 290X/390 since that certainly was not the case with the Alpha back in February when AMD was Dominating this particular title.

Feb 2016:
Doom_Alpha_Bench_1080.jpg

http://vrworld.com/2016/02/29/doom-alpha-benchmark-amd-dominates-over-nvidia/

This was a benchmark done on a hacked alpha version which didn't even allow to turn the automatic settings adjusting off. I.e. it was and is absolutely meaningless.

If you want a somewhat better comparison use these ones:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Technik-Beta-1190942/
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Open-Beta-Benchmarks-1192393/
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-beta-test-gpu

Quite large drop though it doesn't matter nearly as what i had. Interesting. I reckon that whatever causes the drops is simply more demanding on AMD GPUs.
Still, hopefully this will be fixed, as it is annoying regardless of whose GPU one has.

Whatever you feel like.

EDIT Unsure what causes OP's issues. I don't have microstutter or random FPS drops, only drops that relate to the area where i am.

Bro, you have a FreeSync monitor. Not a good indicator of normal performance.

Woorloog

Banned
Bro, you have a FreeSync monitor. Not a good indicator of normal performance.

And Freesync has limited range. The game runs often over 75FPS, which is more than the max refresh rate on this display.

I can try playing a bit with Freesync turned off... I doubt it will affect things much other than causing tearing.

EDIT In any case, Freesync won't explain lack of random FPS drops. Those must be caused by something else. I think.

EDIT Err... damn it. Disabling Freesync from my display broke everything on my desktop somehow. Unrelated to anything Doom-related though, seems like drivers didn't like that.

And Freesync has limited range. The game runs often over 75FPS, which is more than the max refresh rate on this display.

I can try playing a bit with Freesync turned off... I doubt it will affect things much other than causing tearing.

EDIT In any case, Freesync won't explain lack of random FPS drops. Those must be caused by something else. I think.

I was just pointing out that it wasn't very scientific lol. Not getting on your case man. :)

Whatever you feel like.

Everything on Ultra @1080p. Only things turned off were motion blur and chromatic aberration.

I pretty much kept within 80-100 90% of the time. I'm overclocked at 1450mhz, +300 memory clock on my 970. I had a few drops into the low 70's and one into the 60's during hectic action. But nothing below that. No micro-stuttering. Seems pretty close to the performance I was getting at my buddies house. But I wonder if the CPU is helping at all here (Intel 5820k @4.5ghz) Any benchmarks that looked at CPU performance in game?

Woorloog

Banned
I suspect area-based FPS drops relate to particles and reflections but high-medium don't make difference in my experience.

I got a FPS drop in an area that doesn't have any problems otherwise while blasting a demon with shotgun up close, think the blood splatter plus shell impacts etc. were the cause but unsure.

Serick

Married Member

Whatever you feel like.

I should mention those results were on the older non doom-ready drivers.

lyrick

This was a benchmark done on a hacked alpha version which didn't even allow to turn the automatic settings adjusting off. I.e. it was and is absolutely meaningless.

If you want a somewhat better comparison use these ones:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Technik-Beta-1190942/
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Doom-2016-Spiel-56369/Specials/Open-Beta-Benchmarks-1192393/
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-beta-test-gpu

Those are still very similar to what I posted (sans higher tier Nvidia cards actually performing correctly, but those are from the Beta, not the earlier Alpha)

The Last Link:
DOOM_1920.jpg

It just seems very off that out of the blue 290x and /390s are suddenly being out performed by 780s and 960s with the release build.

I suspect area-based FPS drops relate to particles and reflections but high-medium don't make difference in my experience.

I got a FPS drop in an area that doesn't have any problems otherwise while blasting a demon with shotgun up close, think the blood splatter plus shell impacts etc. were the cause but unsure.

See I hate that crap. That is unplayable in my opinion. I used to play FPS's pretty competitively and I am extremely sensitive to this kind of stuff.

Also, I am not the only one reporting the stuttering.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286119107200066/

Woorloog

Banned
Frankly, people's experiences seem so inconsistent when there are issues that it is impossible to say what exactly is wrong.
As i noted, i don't get stuttering and FPS drops are limited to specific places and situations usually.

I should try fiddling with settings until i do see results.

Is Decal Anisotrophic filtering demanding? I have it set at 16x.

EDIT Power Efficiency toggle affects things per that thread? Gotta try.
Oddly, the game ignores driver-set FPS cap...

dr_rus

Those are still very similar to what I posted (sans higher tier Nvidia cards actually performing correctly, but those are from the Beta, not the earlier Alpha)

The Last Link:
DOOM_1920.jpg

It just seems very off that out of the blue 290x and /390s are suddenly being out performed by 780s and 960s with the release build.

They are not similar at all as NV's performance in the beta was basically on par with AMD's. Then again you can't compare the beta and release benchmarks directly as the benchmarking sequences are different and the settings got an update for release.

The biggest odd thing is for 390 to loose to 380X and this seems like a driver issue most likely as I can't think of any way an application would be able to do this.

AMD cards generally get worse performance with OpenGL than Nvidia cards do, and this has always been the case. Hopefully Vulkan support will be a solution for this issue.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, this is funny.
I am testing various settings one at a time in the starting room of the campaign, standing as far as i can from the door with glass.
So far, not a single setting Shadows aside has affected FPS in any remarkable way (+- 1-2FPS change at most).
Shadows at low? I get 70-something rather than 47FPS when staring the door as i do when they're at high, but then then if i look somewhere else, FPS in general gets massive boost as well.
EDIT Shadows at Ultra kill my FPS, dropping it to 33 at that spot and generally making things miserable. Ah, well, i don't see any visual differences so whatever.

So, there seem to be specific things that simply cause problems certainly. Nvidia GPUs don't suffer so much but they do see some drops as well apparently. Perhaps due to Open GL differences, AMD uses 4.3 and Nvidia 4.5.

EDIT It seems the smoke in the room is the major cause of FPS loss. If the glass-door is on screen as well, it causes even more drop. Mere glass is not as bad as the smoke. Fires and sparks aren't as big deal as the smoke. How odd.

Well, this is funny.
I am testing various settings one at a time in the starting room of the campaign, standing as far as i can from the door with glass.
So far, not a single setting Shadows aside has affected FPS in any remarkable way (+- 1-2FPS change at most).
Shadows at low? I get 70-something rather than 47FPS when staring the door as i do when they're at high, but then then if i look somewhere else, FPS in general gets massive boost as well.
EDIT Shadows at Ultra kill my FPS, dropping it to 33 at that spot and generally making things miserable. Ah, well, i don't see any visual differences so whatever.

So, there seem to be specific things that simply cause problems certainly. Nvidia GPUs don't suffer so much but they do see some drops as well apparently. Perhaps due to Open GL differences, AMD uses 4.3 and Nvidia 4.5.

EDIT It seems the smoke in the room is the major cause of FPS loss. If the glass-door is on screen as well, it causes even more drop. Mere glass is not as bad as the smoke. Fires and sparks aren't as big deal as the smoke. How odd.

This was exactly my experience.

sflufan

Banned
From what I gather, the game uses OpenGL 4.5 for Nvidia GPUs and OpenGL 4.3 for AMD GPUs so that probably contributes to the performance weirdness.

Top Bottom