• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

From what I gather, the game uses OpenGL 4.5 for Nvidia GPUs and OpenGL 4.3 for AMD GPUs so that probably contributes to the performance weirdness.

But didn't the beta run on 4.5 on AMD? It ran fine then from what I am hearing. What happened?

Thanks I didn't see it mentioned in the OP. I have a 290x and have been thinking about getting Doom and saw the hotfix this morning.

I guess I'll wait for the Vulkan update before buying.

Yeah, sorry, I will add that to the OP.

Rizific

2500k @ 4ghz
8gb DDR3 1600
R9 390

i experienced this in the open beta. everything maxed and while my fps read a constant 60, i was having microstutter (if thats the word used to describe it) at times. kind of bummed. started my download before heading to work this morning and was looking forward to playing when i got home. i guess ill see how it goes.

i figure id update. 1080p with high preset leaves me hovering around 100fps with drops as low as 75 with motion blur off, CA off, and film grain to 0. ultra preset with the same things turned off is about a ~30fps difference, more than im willing to make to no ultra for me. the stuttering or juddering that i experienced in the beta is gone as well. this game is performing well for me.

That's really shady. Not only AMD is very bad, but you can see that a 960 almost is on par with a 780 Ti. That's just plain ridiculous.

A 970 that at release was around 25% faster than a 770, in this game is more than 100% faster. This is deliberate performance loss.

It's what it would look if Nvidia paid them for maximum profits.

Now... I expect Vulkan to come out and work specifically only for the 10xx videocards, while running even worse on everything else.

I hope this is not the way PC gaming is heading toward.

Chiggs

RAGE had severe issues with AMD at launch too

Yep, it's the engine.

I'm a 390x owner and managed to really improve my performance by updating my mobo bios and installing the newest drivers.

Game runs nearly flawlessly now, but I think there's some improvement here for AMD to shore up.

Armaros

That's really shady. Not only AMD is very bad, but you can see that a 960 almost is on par with a 780 Ti. That's just plain ridiculous.

A 970 that at release was around 25% faster than a 770, in this game is more than 100% faster. This is deliberate performance loss.

Now... I expect Vulkan to come out and work specifically only for the 10xx videocards, while running even worse on everything else.

Why are you basing what PC gaming is moving toward on a graphics API that almost no one uses anymore?

Woorloog

Banned
Yep, it's the engine.

I'm a 390x owner and managed to really improve my performance by updating my mobo bios and installing the newest drivers.

Game runs nearly flawlessly now, but I think there's some improvement here for AMD to shore up.

I reckon the drivers had most effect rather than BIOS update but...
Wonder if i should update my BIOS just in case...

x3sphere

Game runs bad, always Nvidia's fault. It couldn't be that AMD's OpenGL support (that this game happens to use) has been shoddy...

Game runs bad, always Nvidia's fault. It couldn't be that AMD's OpenGL support (that this game happens to use) has been shoddy...

I'm pointing out that Nvidia is deliberately avoiding optimization for everything beside the latest models.

Yes, it's Nvidia who wants to maximize sales and so stops optimizing just so customers continue to buy new hardware on even shorter cycles.

The performance of 7xx Nvidia cards is right on par with AMD of the same level, and it's quite evident what is going on.

Go look at the beta benchmarks and you'll notice that only the 9xx made a leap forward, every other card showed no improvement at all. This is optimization, deliberately enabled only on the models they want to advertize and kept disabled on older models.

dogen

Yep, it's the engine.

Then why does the game run fine on the AMD hardware in consoles?

I'm pointing out that Nvidia is deliberately avoiding optimization for everything beside the latest models.

Yes, it's Nvidia who wants to maximize sales and so stops optimizing just so customers continue to buy new hardware on even shorter cycles.

The performance of 7xx Nvidia cards is right on par with AMD of the same level, and it's quite evident what is going on.

Go look at the beta benchmarks and you'll notice that only the 9xx made a leap forward, every other card showed no improvement at all.

The driver was put out as fast as possible to meet the game launch. Have you considered the possibility that they didn't have time to add kepler specific optimizations(which it is highly dependent on) for the game yet?

AMD seems to be having problems specifically with the hawaii series of cards. Maybe it's a similar issue.

The driver was put out as fast as possible to meet the game launch. Have you considered the possibility that they didn't have time to add kepler specific optimizations(which it is highly dependent on) for the game yet?

Drivers take months to write and test.

The driver you install today is a driver that has been worked on for several months.

And no, Nvidia would rather move their engineers on 10xx cards than Kepler.

The thing is, if Doom was released in September or later, instead of May, then you could bet that it would have run very poorly on a 970, because they had the new 1070 to SELL.

Then why does the game run fine on the AMD hardware in consoles?

It's not really their hardware that is at fault. It's AMD's implementation of OpenGL in their Windows drivers. Pretty sure that the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL for the majority of the games on the platform including Doom, even though the hardware can support the API.

dogen

It's not really their hardware that is at fault. It's AMD's implementation of OpenGL in their Windows drivers. Pretty sure that the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL for the majority of the games on the platform including Doom, even though the hardware can support the API.

I know. And the PS4 doesn't support opengl at all.

TSM

The general consensus from the Dolphin devs seems to be that AMD's opengl implementation isn't very good.

Hmm... I would have thought that the GPU in the PS4 would still be capable of running OpenGL since it is based around a 7970.

The PS4 has two graphics libraries, called GNM and GNMX. GNM is a low-level API not unlike Vulkan or DX12, GNMX is a wrapper for GNM which is a higher-level API that closely resembles DX11.

There is no need for OpenGL on PS4 because Sony already has both low-level and high-level API access covered.

The PS4 has two graphics libraries, called GNM and GNMX. GNM is a low-level API not unlike Vulkan or DX12, GNMX is a wrapper for GNM which is a higher-level API that closely resembles DX11.

There is no need for OpenGL on PS4 because Sony already has both low-level and high-level API access covered.

Ah OK. Yeah, then it makes sense why Doom would get better performance on the PS4 over an AMD card (relatively speaking). The PS4 port of Doom isn't using OpenGL in anyway.

Will wait for Vulkan.

At this point it's looking like this is my only hope. I am super bummed here. It feels terrible not being able to enjoy this game along with everyone else at launch. Besides the problems I had what I played makes it seem like it could be really amazing. I almost wish I hadn't played it at all because it's going to make waiting for a fix even harder and it's going to be even worse if there never is one... ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I just can't stand the fact that in the marketplace there is no mention of the fact that this game performs sub par with a lot of AMD hardware. I can't imagine that they didn't do any testing either so they had to have known. Especially if it really is because of OpenGL like many have said. I think it is very disingenuous of them to do so knowingly without warning people. I mean one of the cards exhibiting these problems is the R9 290 (which my 390 should be outperforming) and they have it listed as recommended specs along with the gtx 970 which by the benchmarks so far outperforms it greatly and that's even without taking all of the jank that we are experiencing into account.

This is a fun read, maybe. I dunno. I don't know anything about what this guy is talking about but he talks about it in a fun way.

http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html

If you can't figure out who Vendor A, B, and C are then I'm not sure what I can tell you.

Ah OK. Yeah, then it makes sense why Doom would get better performance on the PS4 over an AMD card (relatively speaking). The PS4 port of Doom isn't using OpenGL in anyway.

Neither is the Bone version of DOOM, it's funny to realize that since the Bone only uses DirectX, there actually exists a Direct3D renderer for DOOM. It's in the Bone version of the game! Too bad they won't make that available for PC to help the AMD users but maybe the Vulkan renderer will solve all the issues anyways when it's released.

tuxfool

Banned
This is a fun read, maybe. I dunno. I don't know anything about what this guy is talking about but he talks about it in a fun way.

http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html

If you can't figure out who Vendor A, B, and C are then I'm not sure what I can tell you.

Based on some of the mailing lists I follow I can say that the characterization of Vendor A's devs is pretty accurate. I've also heard independent corroboration of what he says about Vendor B. Vendor C#1 pretty much accurate too.

So, yeah. I'd say he knows what he is talking about.

tuxfool

Banned
I still find it interesting that the first demonstration of a game using Vulkan (DOOM) was shown on an Nvidia GPU (1080) and not an AMD one, despite the various claims that Vulkan is thinly disguised Mantle or something like that. Apparently Nvidia are better at developing drivers for AMD's API than AMD are.

Or perhaps it could be that id have a good relationship with Nvidia? You needn't post your bullshit speculation here.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
No problems here with 290/FX9590. Used default settings, holds to 1080p60 with the exemption of MP. Looks great.
Had friends over for poker and everyone commented on how awesome the game looked. Had to turn AA down a notch on MP to remove framerate drops. Latest beta drivers.

AMD's basically never been able to write proper OpenGL drivers. Their Linux performance is terrible because of this, R9 290's benchmark about as fast as 660 Ti's in some games because of how terrible AMD's OpenGL drivers are, especially when it comes to CPU utilization. Normally not as much an issue on Windows since practically everything uses DirectX, but iD loves them some OGL.

Bl@de

OpenGL is dominated by Nvidia (even more so on Linux systems). Maybe it'll change with Vulkan or new drivers but I doubt it.

EDIT: Beaten by one post ^^

I thought AMD was pretty well known for not being good at OpenGL? No one uses it anymore except ID so that's probably why people are caught by surprise like this.

It's an issue that goes back to the days when they were still called ATI.

Sorry to hear that OP, as stated AMD consistently has issues with opengl based games when they launch. My 980ti had drops to 30 in a few key areas and situations before their driver update today, so I hope AMD is working a driver fix too. I dealt with my share of performance disparities on my old 7970ghz against comparable Nvidia cards in numerous games so I know how you feel.

AMD has issues with OpenGL. The Vulkan update should fix this.

AMD cards generally get worse performance with OpenGL than Nvidia cards do, and this has always been the case. Hopefully Vulkan support will be a solution for this issue.

AMD
OpenGL
Pick one.

AMD struggles with OpenGL, which is one of the reasons they handed Mantle over to Chronos group as the starting point for Vulkan.

Once the Vulkan patch is out performance should increase across the board.

The general consensus from the Dolphin devs seems to be that AMD's opengl implementation isn't very good.

AMD's basically never been able to write proper OpenGL drivers. Their Linux performance is terrible because of this, R9 290's benchmark about as fast as 660 Ti's in some games because of how terrible AMD's OpenGL drivers are, especially when it comes to CPU utilization. Normally not as much an issue on Windows since practically everything uses DirectX, but iD loves them some OGL.

OpenGL is dominated by Nvidia (even more so on Linux systems). Maybe it'll change with Vulkan or new drivers but I doubt it.

EDIT: Beaten by one post ^^

Pardon my ignorance but if this is true, and it's looking that way, then wouldn't the answer be to have marketplaces or publishers advertise or alert the consumers that this is the case? The consumers should know this before they buy and it is extremely disingenuous to advertise the recommended or even minimum specs as an AMD card in this instance.

If this happened it would be better for the consumer and it would also force AMD to spend more resources on optimizing their drivers. This sounds harsh but come on it appears that this problem has been going on for ages and something needs to be done about it otherwise it's just going to continue. Crap like this left unchecked sours either one or two things for AMD owners, the AMD brand and/or the devs who use OpenGL. Which causes people to switch camps. It would be great if storefronts and devs would take a stand for the consumer.

I've seen similar things pulled by Nvidia (where I daresay problems like this would be worse) as well before ya'll start calling me a fanboy.

Amey

idTech5

Wolfenstein
w_1920_u.jpg

Evil Within
evilwithin_1920.jpg

If I remember right, AMD cards were plagued with rendering issues with the Wolfenstein games, compared to Nvidia. You can look through the Steam user reviews and see complaints about issues that apparently never got fixed. Both New Order and Old Blood suffered from these issues IIRC.

They do indeed. Then again my problems for example with The Old Blood wasn't performance per se, it was more that I couldn't for the life of me get rid of either mad microstutter or bad tearing. Hmm.

See now those are the problems that I am having. I don't care what benchmarks show any GPU running at insane framerates if there is microstuttering or tearing. Do benchmarks show that stuff?

Zojirushi

See now those are the problems that I am having. I don't care what benchmarks show any GPU running at insane framerates if there is microstuttering or tearing. Do benchmarks show that stuff?

Have you tried the VSynch/Tripple Buffering options in the Crimson Settings/Driver program by the way?

Top Bottom