• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor AMD performance with DOOM.

Zojirushi

Yes and the game just ignores it. I've seen this happen to others as well.

Just to make sure: Have you also tried to lower ALL possible settings to the lowest possible option to see if anything changes? I think in the first Wolfenstein it had issues when I set the texturing cash to high which resulted in stuttering even if I had good framerates otherwise.

Just to make sure: Have you also tried to lower ALL possible settings to the lowest possible option? I think in the first Wolfenstein it had issues when I set the texturing cash to high which resulted in stuttering even if I had good framerates otherwise.

Yes. But even if that did fix it that would be completely unacceptable. lol

Zojirushi

Yes. But even if that did fix it that would be completely unacceptable. lol

Well you wouldn't play it like that but you could then at least narrow it down to the one setting that causes the issue by turning up all the settings step by step again to see which one causes the problem. That's just the motions you go through in an unfortunate case like this.

But it seems we're shit outta luck here, bad thing is I think this never got fixed in The old blood because I played that game way after release.

Well you wouldn't play it like that but you could then at least narrow it down to the one setting that causes the issue by turning up all the settings step by step again to see which one causes the problem. That's just the motions you go through in an unfortunate case like this.

But it seems we're shit outta luck here, bad thing is I think this never got fixed in The old blood because I played that game way after release.

Did AMD also say that they where working on fixing it then?

I did not. Here's to hoping then.

I actually wish more AMD owners would chime in here so we could have some impressions with different cards. Could still be a weird 390 specific problem. This is the one thing that bugs me about AMDs current market share, it can be hard to find a somewhat representative amount of impressions.

tumblr_mh7zp8gAXF1qa9jn1o1_500.gif

tuxfool

Banned
I did not. Here's to hoping then.

I actually wish more AMD owners would chime in here so we could have some impressions with different cards. Could still be a weird 390 specific problem. This is the one thing that bugs me about AMDs current market share, it can be hard to find a somewhat representative amount of impressions.

There are people above (with a 290 and 380x) that say it runs fine. What fine means I don't know

Zojirushi

As largely a pc gamer, this thread is exactly why people won't stop buying consoles any time soon.

Yes because a guy has issues people should REALLY play on the hardware that produces worse results 99,9% of the time instead. Because reasons.

You gave Doom a negative review because AMD's drivers are shit?

Yes, because the devs had to have known about this and they have an AMD card that is having these problems as the recommended specs. No where was I warned that the game would have issues on AMD cards quite the opposite since it recommended them... Also, I bought a game and can't play properly on hardware that is above recommended specs. Since it's not just me having this problem then why not make this issue known in any way that is visible? Like I said, AMD users are few and far between so we get drowned out.

I mean don't most gaming reviews on all the popular sites also rate performance as part of their score?

I also pointed out the nature of the review in the review itself. When the issues are fixed I will change my review.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes, because the devs had to have known about this and they have an AMD card that is having these problems as the recommended specs.

Well no, devs often optimize game for a single driver set and then GPU manufacturer releases something new around game launch. This has happened many times.

Bronion

I'm using a 290 and the game runs great (50-60fps on High) most of the time. But pretty frequently in certain spots it tanks straight to an unwavering 30fps. It's driving me crazy :(

It does it even if I set everything to low, too.

This is a fun read, maybe. I dunno. I don't know anything about what this guy is talking about but he talks about it in a fun way.

http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html

If you can't figure out who Vendor A, B, and C are then I'm not sure what I can tell you..

Not so subtle call out to each hardware vendor.
Nvidia, AMD, Intel... and MESA being the forth?

Neither is the Bone version of DOOM, it's funny to realize that since the Bone only uses DirectX, there actually exists a Direct3D renderer for DOOM. It's in the Bone version of the game! Too bad they won't make that available for PC to help the AMD users but maybe the Vulkan renderer will solve all the issues anyways when it's released.

Yeah that is interesting that the Bone version is using a variant on DX12.

Durante

Well I sure didn't know. I mean it's not like it's advertised everywhere that this game wouldn't run well on AMD cards.
AMD has never ever had good general OpenGL performance. Your best hope is Vulkan.

I just joined the PC space this year. This is a very Elitist attitude to take bro.
It's not elitist to tell you the reasons why performance is the way you experience it here. It's simply information.

id Software is an Nvidia shop it's been their preference to swing that way for a long time.
That's silly. Id software is an OpenGL shop (and god bless them for that, open APIs need all the support they can get!), and AMD's OpenGL driver isn't particularly good.

Durante

God bless them for what exactly?
For keeping OpenGL (and by extension, the only truly open 3D graphics API until the introduction of Vulkan) alive almost single-handedly in the high-end gaming space for many years.

Could you then explain how the beta AMD performance was better?
No, I don't have graphics debugger performance traces of the same sequence of the game on an AMD card at the same settings on the same driver in the beta and the final version.

riflen

Could you then explain how the beta AMD performance was better?

It could very simply be that the beta lacked a feature or rendering method that is present in the retail build. There is no way for a customer to say with certainty. What's the alternative, some kind of conspiracy?
AMD may be able to help things with a driver update, or they may not bother if they've been told the Vulkan renderer is very near to release and they know their Vulkan performance is great.

Locuza

For keeping OpenGL (and by extension, the only truly open 3D graphics API until the introduction of Vulkan) alive almost single-handedly in the high-end gaming space for many years.
Not sure if the industry and in the end users did profit from it, I would claim quite the opposite from the users side.

Durante

Not sure if the industry and in the end users did profit from it, I would claim quite the opposite from the users side.
That's an excessively short-sighted and egotistical perspective.

Without OpenGL as a viable gaming graphics platform, there would have been no game releases on Linux and Mac, MS would have an even stronger stranglehold on PC gaming, and many emulators would either need multiple backends or never have reached this stage of development. Even Vulkan might not have existed in its current form because there would have been no established and smoothly operating organization and mechanism for its development and standardization.

You'd give that all up, for what? Because your preferred GPU vendor never saw fit to invest much into OpenGL driver development?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I would feel like you after paying this kind of money to play PC game. You have no other choice than searching online for any solution. Then AMD might find out about it. Well you should start looking into it on their official site.

Locuza

Using platform agnostic APIs would be better for everybody except for Microsoft.
Only if the platform agnostic API brings good results to the enduser.

Without OpenGL as a viable gaming graphics platform, there would have been no game releases on Linux and Mac
Now we are jumping from id softwares contribution to OGL in general?

MS would have an even stronger stranglehold on PC gaming
At this point I can't see any meaningful difference.

You'd give that all up, for what? Because your preferred GPU vendor never saw fit to invest much into OpenGL driver development?
I would give up the use of OGL if the experience for Windows user (which is simply the overwhelming majority) would have been better and not a single id Tech 5 game was on Linux and only RAGE was on Mac.
And it wasn't only AMD who decided not to invest in a good OpenGL driver, a lot of parties didn't made great job in documentation, tools and renewing the API-Design.
The widespread problems of OGL are known and I'm more than happy that Vulkan is a real contender for bringing a platform agnostic API where endusers have little to nothing to lose.
OpenGL was never in the position.

Durante

Now we are jumping from id softwares contribution to OGL in general?
No, that was my point from the very first post you quoted. The fact of the matter is that id software is the only high-end gaming studio which enforced some level of OpenGL performance and support. With that not existing, how rosy exactly would you expect the driver situation to be -- given what it is for some vendors even under this constraint? Of course that would have an impact on OpenGL in general!

Nere

I remember Doom 3 couldn't even run on Ati cards due to using OpenGL instead of Directx you had to download some kind of fix but a friend of mine was never able to get it to run on his rig.

It's simply a matter of some devs using Nvidia hardware to make their game and not giving a shit about supporting Radeons. It's been shown that Radeons can perform just as well, but if no effort is put on it and devs just run the game on their Nvidia sponsored GPUs, well this is the result. I'm afraid it's AMD's lot in life to make sure it doesn't happen. It's a ditch they've dug themselves in.

jmga

It's simply a matter of some devs using Nvidia hardware to make their game and not giving a shit about supporting Radeons. It's been shown that Radeons can perform just as well, but if no effort is put on it and devs just run the game on their Nvidia sponsored GPUs, well this is the result. I'm afraid it's AMD's lot in life to make sure it doesn't happen. It's a ditch they've dug themselves in.

Devs should not put special effort on AMD hardware. AMD should put special effort on their drivers, because that is where all their problems come from.

DSix

Banned
So, I own a 270x, means I'm fucked until the Vulkan patch?

When is the Vulkan patch anyway? I couldn't find any ETA.

Devs should not put special effort on AMD hardware. AMD should put special effort on their drivers, because that is where all their problems come from.

It's not about "special" effort, it's about putting any effort into it. Usually devs are responsible for the performance of their games. AMD can't fix everything with drivers. Some devs don't see it worth the effort to support whatever they aren't using. That's just a matter of their priorities more than anything else.

Renekton

I remember Doom 3 couldn't even run on Ati cards due to using OpenGL instead of Directx you had to download some kind of fix but a friend of mine was never able to get it to run on his rig.
That is not true, it ran normally on my 9700 Pro.

jett

D-Member
Rage
Wolfenstein
Doom

All idTech games. All have/had problems on AMD. ESPECIALLY Rage, and apparently Doom. I remember having to disable a cpu core to get Rage to run without major graphical bugs, for reasons. So it's not as bad now... :p

HOWEVER, I had no issues at all with The Evil Within, so it's not just "lol AMD and OpenGL sux ballz, id isn't to blame at all." Nah man, fuck that. id didn't give a shit with Rage, and they don't give a shit now.

Renekton

All idTech games. All have/had problems on AMD. ESPECIALLY Rage, and apparently Doom. I remember having to disable a cpu core to get Rage to run without major graphical bugs, for reasons. So it's not as bad now... :p
I think I waited till Carmack released the patch (or 2nd patch?). After that it ran okay on the 4890.

jett

D-Member
I think I waited till Carmack released the patch (or 2nd patch?). After that it ran okay on the 4890.

I just played through the game at like 30fps (because it was running on only one core). A helpful patch for my case didn't come until after I had already beaten it.

dr_rus

Sure, you use NV h/w on console dev units, for both Xbox One and PS4.

lyrick

That's silly. Id software is an OpenGL shop (and god bless them for that, open APIs need all the support they can get!), and AMD's OpenGL driver isn't particularly good.

When Carmack was there he was very open about the shops leanings toward Nvidia. It's possible that was because of their OpenGL support, but the dev house openly leaned Nvidia even when AMD held the performance crown.

Renekton

When Carmack was there he was very open about the shops leanings toward Nvidia. It's possible that was because of their OpenGL support, but the dev house openly leaned Nvidia even when AMD held the performance crown.
Carmack said Nvidia has very strong developer support. They responded to his queries super fast, released timely fixes he requested, and sometimes flew their own engineers over.

lyrick

Carmack said Nvidia has very strong developer support. They responded to his queries super fast, released timely fixes he requested, and sometimes flew their own engineers over.

They can have all the reasons in the world as to why they prefer one vendor over the other, it doesn't change the fact that their preference seems to really show downstream especially when end customers have to deal with their preference.

V_Arnold

It could very simply be that the beta lacked a feature or rendering method that is present in the retail build. There is no way for a customer to say with certainty. What's the alternative, some kind of conspiracy?
AMD may be able to help things with a driver update, or they may not bother if they've been told the Vulkan renderer is very near to release and they know their Vulkan performance is great.

Well, in this case Id should be able to help fix the problem by allowing users to disable something that causes the issue, even at the cost of visual quality.

Otherwise, it is quite a bad practice to basicalyl ignore 20-30-35% of the market just because.

Top Bottom