• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Porsche confirmed for Gran Turismo Sport

muteki

Yes please.

0000e5bbf2d2-0ea3-48c6-9.jpg

I can't believe that this gets an extra thread. Every racing game can have Porsches now without asking EA.

This year it's harder to get licenses for Aston Martin and Ferrari.
Official "Suzuka" will be more rare than Porsches in a few months, maybe it is already, haven't done the math.

I can't believe that this gets an extra thread. Every racing game can have Porsches now without asking EA.

This year it's harder to get licenses for Aston Martin and Ferrari.
Official "Suzuka" will be more rare than Porsches in a few months, maybe it is already, haven't done the math.

Because the best selling simulation racing game of all time, after 20 years finally has the Porsche licence.

watership

So EA no longer holds any share in the Porsche license?

Anyway good news. The less exclusive cars the better.

I believe they relinquished the license at the end of last year. That's why it's been popping up in racers since then.

Yep, this is true.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/13/13935732/porsche-ea-exclusive-license-gran-turismo

A few months later the Forza 6 Porsche expansion came out and there was talk it cost MS a lot less to produce because they worked directly with Porsche, instead of going through EA. The dark times are over.

I found it much more interesting when Assetto Corso got Porsches last year and didn't even have to pay EA in 2016. But to be fair, that had it's own thread as well back then.

I can't wrap my head around this shot. There's no way this is real gameplay, or even photo mode, right? Look at the detail in the conduits and railings.

This is that thing where they composite digital cars into real photos, right?

If not, and this is real gameplay, I'm floored.
It's called scapes. It is basically a photo with light information to adjust focus, colouring and lighting.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/scapes/

Cartho

Just a second, those are photos aren't they? Legit serious question, that isn't a screen grab is it? The sharpness of the railings and stuff in that first shot is unreal, surely that's a photograph?

And the stuff inside the cars with the dashboard etc, photo or screenshot? I'm genuinely confused. If that's a screenshot then.....

giphy.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
I can't wrap my head around this shot. There's no way this is real gameplay, or even photo mode, right? Look at the detail in the conduits and railings.

This is that thing where they composite digital cars into real photos, right?

If not, and this is real gameplay, I'm floored.

Background is a real photo [game will feature hundreds of them], but car is added via game rendering.

This game mode is called "Scapes"
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/scapes/

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just a second, those are photos aren't they? Legit serious question, that isn't a screen grab is it? The sharpness of the railings and stuff in that first shot is unreal, surely that's a photograph?

And the stuff inside the cars with the dashboard etc, photo or screenshot? I'm genuinely confused. If that's a screenshot then.....

giphy.gif

The cars are the in-game models. The backdrop is a photograph in some of these. (The non-track ones)

Cartho

The cars are the in-game models. The backdrop is a photograph in some of these. (The non-track ones)

Ah cheers, that makes sense. Still, still mega impressive. I guess the car interiors are all in game, which is pretty jaw dropping in itself.

bombshell

Looks like those photo areas from the previous GT games. Basically non-playable locations that solely exist to take photo's of the cars.

No, those were still in-game rendered areas.

The 2 first images in this thread are of the new GT Sport feature: Scapes.

Real life photo (backgrounds) where you can place the in-game cars + some extra features.

- Official page with lots of example images: http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gtsport/scapes/

- Kaz on some of what you can do with Scapes:

”Every picture contains spatial and light information, so whenever you move a car around in the environment, all shadows are adjusted in real-time. And what's probably my favourite, you can actually let the car drive. Like you can let it pass the Royal Palace of Tokyo or the Guggenheim Museum in New York and it looks like a real shot."

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-talks-to-red-bull-about-scapes-the-x2010-and-more/

Background is a real photo [game will feature hundreds of them], but car is added via game rendering.

Over 1,000 to be precise.

BigEmil

This landscape photo tech thing they invested on is nice. Now don't do more of that for the next one focus all on the gameplay

That has got to be something super imposed on an actual picture, right ? RIGHT ?

holy shit if not
Again, yes.

All of these images are from a mode where the car is superimposed on a real image with some spatial and lighting data included. The environments aren't being rendered by the game.

Gestault

That has got to be something super imposed on an actual picture, right ? RIGHT ?

holy shit if not

It's a real-world photo. It's the "Scapes" feature, which is awesome in its own way, but it's 4K photographs that they set up meta-data for so the game can superimpose photo-mode cars into (including changing some lighting variables). It also lets them have like 1000 of the darned things. It's a cool update to the photo travel mode, but it's not game graphics in the way anyone normally talks about.

Top Bottom