• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Soul Calibur 6 designs appeared in online portfolio?

Tyaren

PokéKong;213789531 said:
They've typically been alternating between major Tekken releases and Soul Calibur for a while now, right? I would expect an announcement not long after Fated Retribution drops on consoles.

Tekken and Soul Calibur have always existed beside each other. New games of both series were at times released in the same year. That means their announcements and promotion also overlapped each other. There's no harm in announcing Soul Calibur 6 before Tekken 7 is out on consoles. Tekken 7 is announced for over two years now and is already out in arcades for over one year. It had it's time in the limelight. As long as Soul Calibur is released a significant amount of time after Tekken 7 on consoles (maybe 6 months) they can really just go ahead and at least announce it in it's 20th anniversary year and the longest absence of a new game ever. Anything else would imo be ridiculous and even damaging to the franchise. Yeah, Tekken is more popular and thus more favored by Namco. But they don't have to additionally put a spoke in SC's wheel. It is one of their most prestigious brands too after all.

Legit if Taki isn't in I riot

Hasn't she been in since the beginning? I doubt she'd be cut at this stage.

Anyways I don't get the people worrying about character designs being 'acceptable'; cheesecake games come out all the time, and I doubt this'll be any exception. You don't have to necessarily agree with social critics (lord knows I often don't), but that doesn't mean you should adopt a victimization complex either. There's no way Ivy isn't going to be as trashy as possible, just as God intended it.

raven777

The only thing that irks/worries me a bit...isn't usually Takuji Kawano the lead character designer and the one who does all character artworks from SC1 to SC5?

The designs in the OP are more or less sketches. Of course he doesn't do all designs and sketching himself...but these here look pretty finished to me:

sophitiapassionrepublic2-jpg.46661

natsupassionrepublic2-jpg.46657

kilikpassionrepublic2-jpg.46656

As a comparison Kawano's art:

b7415c26-42ad-4e0a-8128-9afa99b3192c.jpg

22114Z193T.jpg

6-140106144P7.jpg

yea the fact that it's not Kawano makes me feel it's not SC6.

Evilisk

If Soul Calibur 6 is real, they better be bringing in Bangoo, Zasalamel and Talim into the game. It's so dumb that out of all the characters they brought back in 5, they don't bring any of the characters that would work well in a timeskip (and by extension, wouldn't need crappy excuses as to why they've stopped ageing, like Tira or Ivy).

As for the designs, I actually sort of like what they're going with on Nightmare. Sophitia's great too. Kilik 1 looks good (it'd look better without a helmet). Natsu's designs however are incredibly lame.

As long as they retain Patroklos. Best character.

This

Alternatively, if they do decide to ditch him, please, please let his sword and shield moveset return in some form at least.

As long as they don't focus on the lame replacement characters.Japan not being able to comprehend milfs and thus depriving us of them in SCV was a travesty.

Also better butts. Capcom are the only Japanese fighting game developers that understand them.

And more Star Wars crossover characters please. Lemme play as Kylo Ren

Tyaren

Almost every final piece of character artwork you see from him from SC3 on has initial concept art from someone else as shown in the official art books.

These must be newly uploaded because I was checking out the possible dark souls 3 DLC stuff last night and I didn't see this soul calibur stuff on the page.

Both are good signs... :) These might really be legit SC designs, most likely even for SC6. Also that these suddenly appear and Twitter and Facebooks pages have been upping their promotion significantly, might hint at a rather sooner than later announcement.

Sealtest

Please give me it. Soul Calibur is the only fighting game i'd buy no matter how terrible I am at them.

The days me and my buddies stayed up all night just playing soul calibur 2... great times.

Beepos

Still can't believe there is no way I can get a SC fix on PC. One of the few fighting games I have really missed being a PC only gamer.

Natsu being included means the SCV newcomers won't be abandoned and Pyrrha will probably return, so I'm totally on board if this is from SC6. It'd be cool if we could get some of the oddballs like Olcadan back as well.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Still can't believe there is no way I can get a SC fix on PC. One of the few fighting games I have really missed being a PC only gamer.

Well, Tekken 7 is coming to PC. That's a pretty good sign for the future, no?

Peltz

Man, these characters used to look cool. These new designs are far too "clean" looking.

Then again, it could just be because it's character art.

Mista Koo

The renders scream mobile game :(
But hey, at least they still remember the series exists. SC6 for 2018 believe!

One big problem is how do you continue after SC5? Do you double down on the cast changes? Or do you straight up retcon it/do a prequel to bring back fan favorites? Because the game is not big enough for 3 staff users.
Personally I would keep SCV characters without the story and bring back everyone who wasn't replaced, also Setsuka and Bangoo (replacing Rock). Elysium takes Omega Pyrrha's moveset, and Kilik is straight up Edge Master now. I would also remove Zwei's wolf and Viola's orb and retool their moves accordingly.
I could make an exception for Taki just because she is that popular, make it a Kilik Seong-Mina situation with Natsu. But I would give her a new look.

Bring back SC2's Kilik, Damn it.
But SC5's Kilik looked so badass:

LzYKEUQ.jpg

Get rid of the rubbish character creation system and focus on making good costumes for each character.
Oh god no.

A reboot is OK but no Daishi Odashima this time, please.
You're crazy. Cast changes aside SCV played perfectly.
Fortunately for you Odashima left the team and is now at Sega :(

If it isn't ... I need some closure on Kilik and Xianghua

for my 12 year old self of course
They had a love child (Xiba) but Xianghua ended up marrying a nobleman and had a daughter (Leixia). Their kids have no idea that they are siblings.

Please retcon SCV.

The Soul Series story has never exactly been top-notch but my God, the bullshit that was SCV's was infuriating.

Or hell, just do a full reboot at this point.

YES PLEASE!

Give me all of the old cast plus the new cast, a healthy selection of modes (bring back survival mode damn it!) and ditch the number 6 and go for another reboot.

EDIT: Just saw the edit in the OP. ;_;

ShyMel

Putting aside the fact that these designs are in some other company's portfolio, Namco please bring back Cassandra, Sophitia, Seung Mina, Taki, Xianghua, and Talim. I want the originals, not the clones from SC5.

Vlaphor

I am definitely digging Sophtia's look. All that would need to happen for this to be perfection is for Soul Calibur 6 to come out on PC (and since Tekken 7 is coming out on PC, I'd say there is good precedent for that).

Jinketsu

Well regardless of the "internal affairs" thing, I still believe we'll be hearing something about Soul Calibur soonish. At least, I hope.

And when it happens, I hope Cassandra is back in some fashion. Even if it's just an unlockable fighting style for the create-a-character, I want to booty-bounce the fuck out of people again.

faridmon

Hopefully they tone down the fanservice that spiraled out of control in the last few installment.

I am not getting my hopes up though.

Top Bottom